• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft to reveal its next generation of Windows on June 24th

Mohonky

Yupe. Just to confirm I have a 5600x and a Gigabyte B550 Aorus pro mobo. The TPM.MSC initially said it wasnt able to find TPM, but I went to bios and in settings->miscellaneous there was an AMD fTPM setting. Enabled it voila- TPM is there. Maybe this can help a few people.
Yeh the AMD fTPM was on my first or second page of the UEFI bios on my Asus, as soon as it was enabled PC health check changed from PC does not meet the requirements to good news, you're ready for Windows 11

ksdixon

Correct me if I'm wrong but TPM 2.0 has only been a thing since 2017-odd, right? So this is a bit of a hardware gate-check as a Windows 11 requirement.

I don't think my Surface Pro 2 from approximately 2013 will be able to run it at all. Meanwhile this new coat of paint ontop of essentially still Windows 10, is a smokescreen to help give people a shot in the arm to go out to retail stores and buy PC's and laptops again, which makes oem's like dell, lenovo, asus happier.

Start -> Run -> tpm.msc

About half way down the screen there will be "Status" which will give you an indication if Windows detects you have one. Even if it says no, you may still be able to boot into your BIOS / UEFI settings (by pressing a button combo as your PC is booting up, different depending on your motherboard manufacturer) and looking for TPM settings. A lot of boards actually ship with a TPM module that's disabled by default.
SeFgC1P.jpg

I checked my bios. It is UEFI on UERI mode
AMD fTPM switch is on as well on BIOS
I ran tpm.msc, then clicked on help and then "about" and I think I found the problem: its 1.0 :messenger_neutral::messenger_confounded:
Edit: No, the specification version: 2.0 is correct. Its the tool/app/software that checks your PC's eligibility for Windows 11 upgrade is broken. My computer is ready for windows 11

Last edited:
Correct me if I'm wrong but TPM 2.0 has only been a thing since 2017-odd, right? So this is a bit of a hardware gate-check as a Windows 11 requirement.

I don't think my Surface Pro 2 from approximately 2013 will be able to run it at all. Meanwhile this new coat of paint ontop of essentially still Windows 10, is a smokescreen to help give people a shot in the arm to go out to retail stores and buy PC's and laptops again, which makes oem's like dell, lenovo, asus happier.
I have a Surface Pro 2 also, it's really old now. It only has 802.11n (WiFi 4) and TPM 1.2. It absolutely will not survive the transition to Windows 11. Kind of sad too, I really like the little guy.

MS will absolutely walk the TPM 2.0 requirement back when corporations decide to just not upgrade instead of replacing all 50,000 computers in their organization to qualify their TPM level.

Last edited:

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
My ASUS Maximus VIII Hero doesn’t have any TPM options in the UEFI, but there is a vacant TPM header on the board. I should just be able to buy a TPM2.0 module to fulfill microsofts retarded TPM requirement right?
Yes.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Windows 11 looking good but that TPM requirement is pure bs
I've been thinking about this the last few days from a technical perspective and I think I might understand the reason (or at least partial reason) for the requirement. On paper it sounds simple - your OS can be encrypted with a hardware TPM and is therefore much less vulnerable to attack. The bullet point is that it lowers the attack surface and makes Windows more secure. OK, good job gold star. Most people will buy this because it's technically true and will be hyped up big time from their marketing.

But I have a feeling that the requirement is there for other reasons. Without getting too technical, every TPM (whether dedicated hardware or virtual CPU TPM) has what's called a storage root key that's used to keep data cryptographically secure. My TPM's storage root key is universally unique and known only to my PC. Combined with the Microsoft account requirement for Home users, Microsoft can now match my account to a unique hardware "footprint". They can gather all kinds of other telemetry data (such as the make up of the other hardware in my PC) and store that in my file. Microsoft can now properly match users to hardware, just like they already do with Xbox consoles. They've been trying to do this for the last few decades (at least as far back as XP) by hashing the hardware profile, but it's always been incredibly imprecise and cludgey.

I doubt they'll do much of anything sinister with it, per se, but I have no doubt they'll be able to use it for things like software license audits and such.

Have joined the dev channel. some apps are buggy like Xbox, store, setting, defender. love the new ui but still are a lot of inconsistencies. I wonder if they will ever ditch control panel and get rid of old menus/programs, and make everything dark themed if you enable it. The UI can feel and look rough so hope that’s polished up. its Definitely rough but I’ve got it installed on my only machine and feel its usable. My biggest issue is that my vpn app is completely broken so had to set it up on my router. will be moving to the beta channel ASAP when it comes out in July.

ksdixon

I've been thinking about this the last few days from a technical perspective and I think I might understand the reason (or at least partial reason) for the requirement. On paper it sounds simple - your OS can be encrypted with a hardware TPM and is therefore much less vulnerable to attack. The bullet point is that it lowers the attack surface and makes Windows more secure. OK, good job gold star. Most people will buy this because it's technically true and will be hyped up big time from their marketing.

But I have a feeling that the requirement is there for other reasons. Without getting too technical, every TPM (whether dedicated hardware or virtual CPU TPM) has what's called a storage root key that's used to keep data cryptographically secure. My TPM's storage root key is universally unique and known only to my PC. Combined with the Microsoft account requirement for Home users, Microsoft can now match my account to a unique hardware "footprint". They can gather all kinds of other telemetry data (such as the make up of the other hardware in my PC) and store that in my file. Microsoft can now properly match users to hardware, just like they already do with Xbox consoles. They've been trying to do this for the last few decades (at least as far back as XP) by hashing the hardware profile, but it's always been incredibly imprecise and cludgey.

I doubt they'll do much of anything sinister with it, per se, but I have no doubt they'll be able to use it for things like software license audits and such.
Software license audit?
Are you talking about activating windows/office, or snitching to Adobe at an OS level?

ksdixon

I need someone to test a few things for me, if they would be so kind.

bcaQiBt.png

Ever since I accidentally realized on Windows 8 that I could add any item from the File Explorer Ribbon onto the Quick Access menu, this is how I've operated FE. So far, the top of W11 FE window looks somewhat simillar:

bj0eory.png

Can anyone confirm if this row of buttons on W11 FE is infact still the Quick Access Menu, and if it has any customizability to it? I would want to at least move Select All from the ... drop down menu, onto the main button row, remove the share button etc.

ksdixon

lK8RizG.png

Some nice customizability for the W11 Touch Keyboard, it seems. However, can anyone confirm or deny if that little gear icon in the top left of it, allows you to use the ''full keyboard layout'', like this on W10?

4EKcrcv.png

Or, Alternatively, I saw you can re-color each part of the Touch Keyboard in W11, but is it possible for us to customize which keys do and don't appear on the keyboard itself?

ksdixon

I need someone to test a few things for me, if they would be so kind.

bcaQiBt.png

Ever since I accidentally realized on Windows 8 that I could add any item from the File Explorer Ribbon onto the Quick Access menu, this is how I've operated FE. So far, the top of W11 FE window looks somewhat simillar:

bj0eory.png

Can anyone confirm if this row of buttons on W11 FE is infact still the Quick Access Menu, and if it has any customizability to it? I would want to at least move Select All from the ... drop down menu, onto the main button row, remove the share button etc.

lK8RizG.png

Some nice customizability for the W11 Touch Keyboard, it seems. However, can anyone confirm or deny if that little gear icon in the top left of it, allows you to use the ''full keyboard layout'', like this on W10?

4EKcrcv.png

Or, Alternatively, I saw you can re-color each part of the Touch Keyboard in W11, but is it possible for us to customize which keys do and don't appear on the keyboard itself?
In short - Neither of these questions worked in my favor.
More W11 Impressions/Troubleshooting as I go along here:

Win11 Impressions / Troubleshooting | Windows 11 Forum (elevenforum.com)

Currently there are too many Cons vs Pros for me to use W11 as my daily driver for a long time. It would mean giving up a lot of the customization workarounds I've put into W10 to improve usability for myself. What a shame...

Last edited:

-More translucence/acrylic effect (yay!)
-Better transition animations

-Windows 11 social media-chat edition?!

Last edited:
Top Bottom