• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft's GDC 2023 booth possibly suggests an announcement of a new console soon.

Pics from the booth,
Fr2kCDcaUAAqx9o

Fr2kCEIacAM3b5v

A new reveal may be revealed soon before the week of GDC is over. I wonder what is going to be in that empty case next to the "?" mark? Each other display has an Xbox console from the first in 2011, until 2020 with the Series X, with the year of launch next to each one.

There are rumors of a Slim and Pro, and earlier there was talkis about the Xbox "Series" consoles possibly having more letters than S and X, which was supposedly why the "series" name was chosen iirc.

Of course until they tell us we won't know, but I wonder what they are going to show that's going to slot into that empty case. Probably either a new letter or a pro I'm guessing.

Curiously, they skipped over the 360 Slim and Elite, but have Xbox One S and One X on display with the original.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
They wouldnt do a placeholder spot for a slim. If they did, then every other console would have a slim spot on the wall.

It's too early to talk next gen Series Y in 2027. So either it's a Pro model or the million year old rumoured streaming box for like $99.

Last edited:

G-Bus

Banned
Weren't they working on a small box specifically for gamepass?

I'd be interested in something like that

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Probably mid gen refresh, with all the rumors Sony is also prepping one for next year wouldn’t shock me to see MS beat them to the announcement punch.

Barakov

Gold Member
It's going to be a series X upgrade or something nobody wants. I think people are going to be mad regardless.

I'm hoping if it's a Series X upgrade that it fixes the performance problems that seem to happen with 3rd party games on that system.

They wouldnt do a placeholder spot for a slim. If they did, then every other console would have a slim spot on the wall.

It's too early to talk next gen Series Y in 2027. So either it's a Pro model or the million year old rumoured streaming box for like $99.

The only slim missing is the 360 really (and the Elite revision that looks like an Xbox One but isn't.)

But yeah, it's likely either that or a Pro.

First mover loses here. The people getting mid gen refreshes want the more powerful option

That only applies if Xbox moving first is weaker in specs than what Sony puts out.

Last edited:

Yoboman

You might end up thankful for a Pro model soon enough. I feel that once UE5 games start flowing, we will see a lot of 30fps games on XSX and PS5.
Yes I will be upgrading to retain 60+ FPS

That's why I hope it's a little further off so it can be guaranteed modes for 4k 60 and ray tracing

Darsxx82

In my opinion Clearly a midgen refresh since they include XBO X in the timeline. A cheapest new XSX model Is a option too since they incluye XBO S in the timeline.

Either that, or a simple statement and communication that new XBOX physical consoles will continue to be released.

Last edited:
I think its just an art installation showing their history. And it ends saying "and into the future!" Its nothing. Makes sense to remind devs they are staying in it long term since its GDC. I dont think its anything beyond that, but who knows.

Except the One S and One X being there raises some question marks as well. No Series S either.

It seems to be only power iterations. Xbox 360 is stronger than Xbox 1. Xbox One is stronger than the 360. Xbox One S was a beefed up Xbox One. Xbox One X was a power reset that generation stronger than all before. Xbox Series X was notably stronger than the Xbox One X where as the Series S was around similar in strength to the One X until after the first year or so.

Also ALL of them have disc drives, because they bothered to put only 3 of the 4 Xbox One's there, the 4th one was the all digital edition which is the onl one missing coincidentally. Also the next digital console, the Series S, is also missing.

Last edited:

Yoboman

The only slim missing is the 360 really (and the Elite revision that looks like an Xbox One but isn't.)

But yeah, it's likely either that or a Pro.

That only applies if Xbox moving first is weaker in specs than what Sony puts out.
If Sony comes out with their Pro console a year later there is zero chance of it being weaker. If we are talking a few months then it will be a wash in specs and pricing

If Sony comes out with their Pro console a year later there is zero chance of it being weaker.

That's not how that works at all. Most of the hardware would already be set and starting the finalization process with only a year or less before launch. The can't suddenly test and explore more powerful hips that may or may not have dropped in price and rearrange the board and all the components.

Xbox One was announced later and came out later and was weaker than the PS4. Xbox One X was stronger than PS4 Pro, but it's hardware was set by the time it was announced at E3. The delay was because they were still trying to make the internal changes work well with the fan and for the price to lower, which only did marginally. Which is why the One X never dropped in price for over 3 years. Also they needed to have games ready for it, which they barely did.

If in theory, Xbox were to announce a pro first, and Sony's released next year, currently Sony's hardware would be mostly set. The easiest thing they would be able to change is possibly amount of ram (which may raise the price of the console) but that's about it.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Buying 2 consoles in a generation…lol I did that with the pro and one X never again at that price go PC!!!
I did and I'll do it again. Bring on new consoles and put the "pick one: performance or quality" generation out to pasture. People say we haven't seen what the current generation can do, but I kinda think we have.

Fbh

"We are proud to announce or newest consoles:
Xbox the first one yeah the big one with the big X on top
Which is in fact the name of our newest system and not the very first Xbox"

Last edited:

Yoboman

That's not how that works at all. Most of the hardware would already be set and starting the finalization process with only a year or less before launch. The can't suddenly test and explore more powerful hips that may or may not have dropped in price and rearrange the board and all the components.

Xbox One was announced later and came out later and was weaker than the PS4. Xbox One X was stronger than PS4 Pro, but it's hardware was set by the time it was announced at E3. The delay was because they were still trying to make the internal changes work well with the fan and for the price to lower, which only did marginally. Which is why the One X never dropped in price for over 3 years. Also they needed to have games ready for it, which they barely did.

If in theory, Xbox were to announce a pro first, and Sony's released next year, currently Sony's hardware would be mostly set. The easiest thing they would be able to change is possibly amount of ram (which may raise the price of the console) but that's about it.
I don't think you know how it works. Hardware specs are set on the availability of hardware based on year of production and the target cost of the hardware. The efficiency of design plays a role too but is less than a difference a year of general hardware advancement and cost efficiency improvement makes.

Xbox One came out within 7 days of PS4. It was poorly designed to accommodate for having a whole ass Kinect built in while keeping costs down.

The only way the Pro consoles have a significant difference is if they are released at seperate times like One X and PS4 Pro or are targeting totally different price points

Top Bottom