• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft's GDC 2023 booth possibly suggests an announcement of a new console soon.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Mid gen refresh in time for Starfield?

mmm GIF

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Next one should be the series S in portable form. They have to be close.
I would love to see them compete in the handheld market with something like a Steam Deck. Even if it was totally on par with the Steam Deck specs wise, it'd obviously be much more mass-produced and marketed. The gaming press would draw parallels between it and the Switch (rather than it and the PS5), and I think it'd be a big win for them.

Game Pass and cloud streaming built in, access to your Xbox game library, etc. and this thing would sell like hotcakes.

PJX

Pics from the booth,

A new reveal may be revealed soon before the week of GDC is over. I wonder what is going to be in that empty case next to the "?" mark? Each other display has an Xbox console from the first in 2011, until 2020 with the Series X, with the year of launch next to each one.

There are rumors of a Slim and Pro, and earlier there was talkis about the Xbox "Series" consoles possibly having more letters than S and X, which was supposedly why the "series" name was chosen iirc.

Of course until they tell us we won't know, but I wonder what they are going to show that's going to slot into that empty case. Probably either a new letter or a pro I'm guessing.

Curiously, they skipped over the 360 Slim and Elite, but have Xbox One S and One X on display with the original.

Did I wake up in an alternate timeline this morning?

Ozriel

M$FT
It probably just means the future. Something next after the Xbox Series consoles. Could even represent their next gen, 2028 console

Comandr

Xbox Portable Console, similar to the Switch or Steam Deck.
I would actually love to see this. Hell, I would really love to see a partnership between Microsoft and Valve. Valve designs and Microsoft sponsors the creation of the hardware.

Every new uhh.. Xbox Portable ships with full fat windows 11. A fully redesigned Xbox app for engagement with Xbox/first party titles, and Steam with its library, performance monitoring and control built right in. Plug it into the dock, and the power ramps up, unhooking the system's portable TDP limit. Whether on controller or with keyboard and mouse, its now a full fledged windows computer with a focus on gaming first. But hey, if you want to use this thing as a regular computer for browsing, video consumption, typing up papers with Office, be my guest. Take it off the dock, and you've got an Xbox Series S power level console on the go, with a 1080p screen, a lot of the GPU grunt that would be pushed to resolution can be dialed back to save power or turned to maximum graphic fidelity.

Azurro

Banned
Xbox Series XXX - includes a year length OnlyFans subscription, including never before seen Mia Khalifa footage and Phil Spencer's new channel where he, dressed only in a tutu, whispers to your ear all about the sweet, sweet games that will maybe, some time in the future, perhaps, come to Xbox.

Rippa

They’ll announce that they’re moving away from console and are just going to expand GamePass to other platforms. You’ll only be able to rent their games in the future, obviously requiring a subscription.

/😋

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
No. It wouldn’t be.

Using a question mark to represent the unknown isn’t something new.
that would be kinda dumb because we all know there would be a next gen console anyway, and we are still in 2023 now xD

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Good. Hope they have learned their lessons from the series x and go for unified ram and higher clocks.

Price it $599 and stop worrying about what ps5 pro is going to do. Even with the x1x they worried too much about the damn tflops when they should’ve added a better cpu instead.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
You might end up thankful for a Pro model soon enough. I feel that once UE5 games start flowing, we will see a lot of 30fps games on XSX and PS5.

Epic did go out of their way to add Lumen/Nanite 60 FPS support for the new consoles.

So ...

DaGwaphics

As others have said, likely just put up as something to ponder. But, since they've included the refresh models here (X1S, X1X), maybe they announce a slim or some variation/refresh of the current systems.

A lot of speculation that a PS5 slim releases as early as this holiday, maybe MS doesn't want to give Sony the entire spotlight in that area.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Xbox Series NX with Nvidia GPU

#believe

Leather jacked with preorder

Last edited:
Even if I don't plan on getting a console, I always get excited about new hardware releases like this. I will say though that this current console generation seemed outdated before it even released. It will be interesting to see what pro models are able to accomplish.

Even if I don't plan on getting a console, I always get excited about new hardware releases like this. I will say though that this current console generation seemed outdated before it even released. It will be interesting to see what pro models are able to accomplish.
one of the most ignorant takes i have ever read about this gen.

Sorcerer

On a side note, why has Xbox buried their GDC demos? They are only available for a week, and I wasn't even aware of them for 2 days. You literally have to type "demos" on your Xbox to find them. Just played a strange interactive movie called "The Isle Tide Hotel".

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
I don't think it'll be a "Pro" console and I doubt it'll be a slim.

My guess is a Series X w/no disc drive for $399 to compete directly with the PS5 Digital.

Top Bottom