• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft's GDC 2023 booth possibly suggests an announcement of a new console soon.

Banned
I don't feel like buying another Series S/X to stick in another room that I'll use seldomly, so an inexpensive dedicated Xcloud/Gamepass box would hit the spot.

get an andoid box? all you need is access to the Android play store and there you download the gamepass app. that's it... not even that actually, having a chromium based web browser is already enough usually...

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
At first I thought maybe it's just a symbol of the next console, but I am noticing the box is particular shape, flat vs horizontal, could be they had to "pick one" but maybe it's actually for something now.......

Wait I've got it, it's the Series X/Nintendo switch hybrid. (Xswitch)
Plays Xbox series X, switch games upscaled automatically, and switch 2 games (enhanced 4k versions). Launches day and date with switch 2.

Last edited:

Fredrik

At first I thought maybe it's just a symbol of the next console, but I am noticing the box is particular shape, flat vs horizontal, could be they had to "pick one" but maybe it's actually for something now.......

Wait I've got it, it's the Series X/Nintendo switch hybrid. (Xswitch)
Plays Xbox series X, switch games upscaled automatically, and switch 2 games (enhanced 4k versions). Launches day and date with switch 2.
The box shape is definitely interesting, no chimney design this time, probably means it’s 1) something in between S and X, 2) a streaming box, or 3) a portable. I don’t think it’s their ”Pro”, the chimney design looks bad when vertical and I don’t see how a high powered console could fit there.
Or maybe it’s just an empty box showing that more consoles are coming so people stop being concerned that they’re giving up if this gen don’t go well.

THE DUCK

The box shape is definitely interesting, no chimney design this time, probably means it’s 1) something in between S and X, 2) a streaming box, or 3) a portable. I don’t think it’s their ”Pro”, the chimney design looks bad when vertical and I don’t see how a high powered console could fit there.
Or maybe it’s just an empty box showing that more consoles are coming so people stop being concerned that they’re giving up if this gen don’t go well.

Ya, it could well be. You know, the idea of a shared console between the big players is new, but it could work.

Imagine this, ms offers Nintendo 100% of the revenue from thier own games.

Why would Nintendo do this? It offers them a foot into non mobile higher end console gaming without having to foot the bill on the hardware. I know they lose out on thier cut from the store on 3rd party software, but they will still have that on Switch 2. And little to no risk, plus it could sell a 100 million with both ms and Nintendo games on it.

Why would ms do this? Simple, to draw more customers to xbox consoles and gamepass.

Bah it won't ever happen since Nintendo is very closed minded but I bet ms would do it.

Last edited:

Helghan

Mid gen refresh in time for Starfield?

mmm GIF
Doubt it, since Sony would take another year for their pro console and would have the strongest console when it arrives which doesn’t match Xbox vision

Rambone

get an andoid box? all you need is access to the Android play store and there you download the gamepass app. that's it... not even that actually, having a chromium based web browser is already enough usually...
I might consider it. Although if MS was going to do one, I'd totally be all over it.

Raphael

Probably the streaming device, but would love a deck like device. In co operation with valve, dual boot windows/linux. Game pass now on steam.

What a lovely wet dream.

given that any phone, smart TV with internet access and every android streaming box can easily run their cloud service, it really makes no sense, which is why we know they cancelled it

We know they cancelled it because Phil told us they did.

IMO a Handheld is very much something they almost have to do.

This is because you aren't using any thinking at all for how such a concept to work, or the fact that the battery would be an issue, or the fact that there's already bad yields on consoles already so having a third wouldn't help Xbox's bottom line at all (Switch abandoned the traditional console for a handheld only approach for a reason) and people are BUYING the Series S.

There is no logical reason for Xbox to make a portable other than people wanting to play Xbox games on the go, which you can already do on multiple mobile devices.

They aren't going to make new retail cards, so it would just be another portable PC which there are plenty of, at a high price and no profit or benefit to Microsoft at all.

Heck, Microsoft partnered with a company so you can order a screen with your Series S to play it on the go. A handheld is a silly idea that has no plus side for Xbox which is all that's needed to now it's never going to happen.

Sony actually has a better reason to do it and they won't for a lot of the same reasons.

Banned
This is because you aren't using any thinking at all for how such a concept to work, or the fact that the battery would be an issue, and people are BUYING the Series S.

this sentiment assumes that technology will literally stand still and not improve even a little.

we TODAY have $400 to $500 Windows handhelds that already have PS4 levels of GPU power and 2h battery life.

now think 2 years into the future, and a company that can subsidise hardware costs with game sales, as well as work directly with AMD and buy in bulk.

or the fact that there's already bad yields on consoles already so having a third wouldn't help Xbox's bottom line at all

there wouldn't be a third system. they would/should discontinue the normal Series S.
A handheld version would be the slim model and a semi-mid-gen-refresh in one. a complete replacement for the current SKU.

the chip will get smaller, more efficient, and cheaper. Microsoft will use these shrunken and cheaper versions of the chip wether they use it in a stationary Series S revision or in a Handheld.

There is no logical reason for Xbox to make a portable other than people wanting to play Xbox games on the go, which you can already do on multiple mobile devices.

There is. The Series S will become increasingly unattractive as an option... it already is today for many people.
Making it a handheld would fix that instantly.
And cloud streaming is dogshit, especially if you actually do it on a phone and while on the go.

They aren't going to make new retail cards, so it would just be another portable PC which there are plenty of, at a high price and no profit or benefit to Microsoft at all.

Heck, Microsoft partnered with a company so you can order a screen with your Series S to play it on the go. A handheld is a silly idea that has no plus side for Xbox which is all that's needed to now it's never going to happen.

the fact that this screen is something that exists shows that some people think portability for the system would be a good idea 🤷

Sony actually has a better reason to do it and they won't for a lot of the same reasons.

Sony has zero reason to do it, and they have no hardware that they could turn into a portable system without making it a separate system again, which has a big potential to fail again.

on a Series S portable, third party support would be guaranteed AND it would launch with a massive library of og Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox One, and Series S games

Last edited:
There is. The Series S will become increasingly unattractive as an option... it already is today for many people.

SO basically the issue here is you just don't like the Series S, and ignoring that it's been holding up XBS during the Series X production issues selling millions, and instead acting like in two years, the Series S is going to look unattractive, so they should waste money on a portable with low margins with no original library that's not going to be any better than those $700 AMD portable PC's by OneXPlayer?

Again, there's no benefit to Xbox to do that. When the S is still going to sell this entire generation.

As a matter of fact, it's probably going to be the only console, that gets decent price drops. Also, Phil himself expected Series S to be the leading console over time during the generation, so really what messed things up was the X production issues.

But the S is still going to be selling at $199 and maybe even $99 years from now. If Xbox isn't making a handheld with it's own library to compete with Switch, and it's just another Steam Deck or OneXPlayer, than there's not much sales potential there at all.

The only difference would be gamepass, which I'm sure Microsoft is about to put on Steam Deck anyway, and is already on other various devices.

If you want someone to enter portables, Sony is the only logical company that could do it again with a reason, and they aren't gong to do it because of the lack of roi.

Banned
with no original library

you say this like it's a bad thing...
this would be the biggest strength of such a handheld. the fact that it has a guaranteed library of games from the start and at least until the end of the generation.

how is that a bad thing? that's exactly why Nintendo stopped having 2 systems. having a single system to develop all games for is part of what made the system a success.

and you still seem to think that technology is just stopping to improve over time.
die shrinks for consoles are a normal thing. hell the PS5 already had a die shrink and the SX will soon follow most likely.

I'm not saying that this is a highly likely thing btw. what I'm saying is that if AMD's hardware gets better at a rate that this becomes a possibility, then Microsoft should absolutely do it.

right now the S is simply the shitty Series X.
if they can turn it into the Handheld Series X it would be an amazing system.

also I like the Series S, it was a cheap way to have a local lan/multiplayer setup right from the start :)

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

you say this like it's a bad thing...
this would be the biggest strength of such a handheld. the fact that it has a guaranteed library of games from the start and at least until the end of the generation.

Agreed, that's specifically the reason it would make sense for MS to do it. MS wouldn't sell this system at a loss and it would just piggy-back off of the existing XSS library. Xbox could definitely go $400 or probably $500 for this even in a couple years time. Look at what the SteamDeck is getting for the SSD models. A separate library with original games is specifically what you wouldn't want to do, as then you are left needing to sell X amount of these units and trying to sustain development of software.

While I don't necessarily think a device like this should or would replace the current XSS, it could easily stand along side it as a mobile option to the traditional console (a modern day nomad). I think @ Eddie-Griffin Eddie-Griffin underestimates the momentum behind the Steamdeck and fails to realize how much smoother of an experience a portable Series S would be in comparison (thanks to the entire library having a profile specifically created for the device vs. just being a low-end piece of general hardware in the PC space).

THE DUCK

this sentiment assumes that technology will literally stand still and not improve even a little.

we TODAY have $400 to $500 Windows handhelds that already have PS4 levels of GPU power and 2h battery life.

now think 2 years into the future, and a company that can subsidise hardware costs with game sales, as well as work directly with AMD and buy in bulk.

there wouldn't be a third system. they would/should discontinue the normal Series S.
A handheld version would be the slim model and a semi-mid-gen-refresh in one. a complete replacement for the current SKU.

the chip will get smaller, more efficient, and cheaper. Microsoft will use these shrunken and cheaper versions of the chip wether they use it in a stationary Series S revision or in a Handheld.

And cloud streaming is dogshit, especially if you actually do it on a phone and while on the go.

the fact that this screen is something that exists shows that some people think portability for the system would be a good idea 🤷

Sony has zero reason to do it, and they have no hardware that they could turn into a portable system without making it a separate system again, which has a big potential to fail again.

on a Series S portable, third party support would be guaranteed AND it would launch with a massive library of og Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox One, and Series S games

Lots of reasons to do it for Sony, the biggest being tapping onto the portable market and increasing overall market share. Almost zero chance of it failing with the exclusive game lineup they have, and would take about 8 seconds for them to port all the best games with the similar architture to current and last gen. This isn't vita and it's crappy thumbsticks, lack of support, overpriced memory cards. (Amoungst other things)

That said ms is well positioned to release a portable too, I'm open to either abd thing either will enjoy fantastic sales numbers.

Last edited:

Ronin_7

Banned
Microsoft announced Xbox One X over a year away from release.

Doesn't make much sense to announce a new one now but who knows.

UnNamed

Banned

Yeah, this has sense.

The chances for me are:
-VR device, unlikely since of MS has not take that ROAD with XBOne and XSS/X, this means MS has little faith in VR;
-Portable device, more sense but a nightmare for the developers that should develop for XBOS, XBOX, XBSS, XBSX and XBportable;
-a streaming device, has lot of sense and it would not impact that much if it fail.

I think its just an art installation showing their history. And it ends saying "and into the future!" Its nothing. Makes sense to remind devs they are staying in it long term since its GDC. I dont think its anything beyond that, but who knows.
This. They make hardware, so of course new hardware will always be planned. Same as when Nintendo shows “20XX” on their investor roadmap graphics for future platforms. It’s just reaffirming they will continue to make new hardware into the future. I don’t know why we always need to read into stuff like this so much. If Microsoft wanted to tease new hardware, we’d all know about it. There’s no reason to be subtle.

Last edited:

OuterLimits

The future of consoles seems a tad boring. Somewhat Marginal hardware upgrades every few years. Cross gen hell will become the norm going forward(please be excited for our new blockbuster game arriving in 2031 on PS5, PS5 Pro, PS6, and the just launched PS6 Pro)

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Pics from the booth,
Fr2kCDcaUAAqx9o

Fr2kCEIacAM3b5v

A new reveal may be revealed soon before the week of GDC is over. I wonder what is going to be in that empty case next to the "?" mark? Each other display has an Xbox console from the first in 2011, until 2020 with the Series X, with the year of launch next to each one.

There are rumors of a Slim and Pro, and earlier there was talkis about the Xbox "Series" consoles possibly having more letters than S and X, which was supposedly why the "series" name was chosen iirc.

Of course until they tell us we won't know, but I wonder what they are going to show that's going to slot into that empty case. Probably either a new letter or a pro I'm guessing.

Curiously, they skipped over the 360 Slim and Elite, but have Xbox One S and One X on display with the original.

Oh wow, dropped the towel this quickly? Also where is the "Little Beast"? Pretending that it doesn't exist isn't a good look.

acm2000

its 720p tho, console/browser is 1080p

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
What is the top of the line mobile gear right now? Could they put out something pretty powerful for a decent price?

I have no idea what is what in the mobile world

Top Bottom