• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsofts openess vs Sony and Nintendos closed door policy. What do you prefer?

Ansphn

Nah, you're right. Phil is an executive, he's not a pop star like, say, Taylor Swift who interacts with her public and the product is herself.
His job is not to get buddy buddy with his customers but provide the games and services.
You're right.
I will have to disagree. To a lot of Xbox players, he's bigger than Taylor Swift and to a smaller number, he's bigger than God.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Heu guys/gals do you want a girlfriend/boyfriend that constantly talks about sex or one that fucks

I don't know, I feel like if I was the 3rd best in the world at anything I'd brag about it about as often as I could....But being the 3rd over a grand total of 3 people , I'd shut the hell up.

Edit: sorry the first part of my post woudn't delete (the one before the quote) it was not destined to you...Besides you'd get all the grils in the world with a pizza oven, ps: I still hate you for it.
Yeah I don't think anyone at Xbox are the ones doing celebrations like that meme, thats reserved for console warriors thinking they are funny

Kristen Bell Idk GIF by Team Coco

CLW

Jensen and is not even close.
His policies decisions are definitely worse for consumers but on the other hand doesn’t appear to be hurting his company’s bottom line yet…

Spencer on the other hand has largely been completely incompetent at running the division they cannot publish anything remotely near the quality of its two competitors and without MS unlimited $ backing would likely be out of business by now

Topher

Gold Member
I knew the people in this forum lean towards Sony, but this is not the kind of thread where i expected that nearly all the answering people feel the need to have a dig at the op and Microsoft.

This is a console warrior thread in its very essence. How did you expect folks to respond?

AmuroChan

I just want to play good games. I don't care what the CEO's carefully prepared PR statements say. If they can't deliver the games, then none of their words mean anything.

Xbox's open style in the past few years has been great and imo the best approach. Nintendo has always been the most lockdown, they live in their own little bubble with their own niche market and dont give two fucks about other people's opinions, fans included lol

But even if Xbox have the most transparency, they still don't produce even half the quality of the other two.

Xbox may have given us a great Dev Direct recently, but they sure are staying tight lipped about the rest of 2023, which is for sure a bad sign. On the other hand, Sony keep dropping teaser trailers for the year and they are looking to have a SUPER strong 2023. So, I guess the real question is, does it really matter?

sachos

So which one is the better way to go? Do you want the openness and accessibility of Microsoft or the closed shop of Sony?
Do you think either one negatively effects their brand?
Wich is the better way to go? I don't think there is a "better" way, just different ways of doing PR. MS likes to talk a lot but the silence of Sony can be seen as "mysterious" so when they actually show something it feels more like an event (PS Showcase when?)

Do you want the openness and accessibility of Microsoft or the closed shop of Sony? As long as they keep releasing good games i don't really care, but sure, it would be cool to get some more insights by Cerny i really enjoy his tech talks. Sony also did some dev documentaries for GoW and TLoU that were pretty awesome, i would love to see more of those too.

Do you think either one negatively affects their brand? I think Xbox comes of as way too PR heavy since their game output is so low compared to Sony/Nintendo, it sets them up for easy jokes like the ones in this thread or Jimbo's "we will let our games do the talking", thats a pretty big burn.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Under promise, over deliver.

I don't give a shit about how they present themselves, it's what they deliver.

MS went all in on the power of their console because they knew it was the only advantage they had (in marketing terms), and Sony knew that they would likely sell out regardless due to supply issues and that their games would do the talking.

Thats easy Sony and Nintendo, al MS does is talk talk talk, Phil Spencer is giving interview after interview after interview to stay relevant but..its working agains them.

• PS players compare trophies for games played.
  • XB players compare achievement scores for shows watched.

Logic has been defeated in this thread.

Let's talk about 2023. Which company has released a GOTY contender so far?

MS has 1. Others have nil.

Which company has announced release date for a big AAA title?

MS with Redfall. Others have nil.

This is transparancy with solid release schedule.

Shakka43

Sure, let's compare one month of 2023 vs two years of current gen consoles being out(not to mention the whole past generation), five for the Switch.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member

Not fully. We don't have release dates for Forza or Starfield. What does having a "GOTY contender" have to do with "transparency"?

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Yeah I don't think anyone at Xbox are the ones doing celebrations like that meme, thats reserved for console warriors thinking they are funny

Kristen Bell Idk GIF by Team Coco
Yeah the way I see it is even if they were last but profits equal or exceeded expectations and have the prospect to make the same or even more profits in the future then they are celebrating.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Sure, let's compare one month of 2023 vs two years of current gen consoles being out(not to mention the whole past generation), five for the Switch.

Sony did have a year were they didn't release much this gen. they had not big release at Christmas. can't remember the year but racket was a summer release and they they had nothing till horizon in the spring. it happens on both sides but last year was pretty bad for xbox

Can't see their openess aside from easy chatting. Just be open about subscribers numbers, hardware and software sales instead of gameplay hours and monthly users.
They are just hiding the things they want to hide, they are not more open than other companies and they aren't your friends.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Jim’s approach is ageing like a fine wine. Phil reminds me of a 4 year old that won’t stop talking
Unfortunately for him the playstation guys are too busy giving money to Sony for the games they're producing.

He'll have to settle for the scraps his own fanbase are willing to give him. They claim they love him, but will they prove it? Are they really the pay pigs they say they are?
wait, Phil’s OnlyFans isn’t included in Game Pass!?’

Topher

Gold Member
Sony did have a year were they didn't release much this gen. they had not big release at Christmas. can't remember the year but racket was a summer release and they they had nothing till horizon in the spring. it happens on both sides but last year was pretty bad for xbox

Sony released Returnal and R&C that year.

mrmustard

Banned
This is a console warrior thread in its very essence. How did you expect folks to respond?
Maybe it's because i don't have warrior genes, but to me this is really just a normal thread like "Who has the best customer service? MS, Sony or Nintendo?" and so on.

Topher

Gold Member
Maybe it's because i don't have warrior genes, but to me this is really just a normal thread like "Who has the best customer service? MS, Sony or Nintendo?" and so on.

Not the same thing here at all though. The OP here wasn't asking which company was more "open". He already predetermined that. Clearly, this entire topic was created with a pro-Microsoft outlook. And the premise is entirely flawed. For example, whether or not Phil Spencer plays more games than Jim Ryan is irrelevant to how "open" the companies are. The fact that "Xbox heads" played online with YouTube influencers doesn't mean anything in that regard either. If the subject were interactivity with gamers then perhaps, but that isn't what is being talked about. So stands to reason that the OP is getting a ton of pushback. This whole thing is contrived console warrior nonsense.

demigod

Your answer shows that you are a playstation fanatic.
Nowhere did I say one was better than the other, or that one would be more successful.
I asked which one of those models do think is preferable?
Again, just because Phil is a dev and avid gamer does not mean he will have more success as a CEO.
Only a fanboy would automatically become defensive and think it was an attack on PS.
Sony and Microsoft run their PR very differently.
One gives a shit ton of info, the other doesn't.
Only an idiot would think that one or the other will result in better games, or more console sales.
And why the fuck does everything default to console sales for PS fans?
Question something Sony does the reply is "yeah, well Sony is selling more consoles'. Question Jim Ryan and the reply is "well at least Sony is releasing games".

Howabout you just answer which approach you think is better and why?
You think Phil is a gamer? Lol. If he was a gamer, there’s no way he would’ve approved of halo infinite before it got delayed.

Also he has someone else play for his gamer achievements.

mrmustard

Banned
Not the same thing here at all though. The OP here wasn't asking which company was more "open". He already predetermined that. Clearly, this entire topic was created with a pro-Microsoft outlook. And the premise is entirely flawed. For example, whether or not Phil Spencer plays more games than Jim Ryan is irrelevant to how "open" the companies are. The fact that "Xbox heads" played online with YouTube influencers doesn't mean anything in that regard either. If the subject were interactivity with gamers then perhaps, but that isn't what is being talked about. So stands to reason that the OP is getting a ton of pushback. This whole thing is contrived console warrior nonsense.
Well, i don't know the op and maybe you are right. This forum unfortunatley really seems to be console warrior infested.

Ar¢tos

Wich is the better way to go? I don't think there is a "better" way, just different ways of doing PR. MS likes to talk a lot but the silence of Sony can be seen as "mysterious" so when they actually show something it feels more like an event (PS Showcase when?)

Do you want the openness and accessibility of Microsoft or the closed shop of Sony? As long as they keep releasing good games i don't really care, but sure, it would be cool to get some more insights by Cerny i really enjoy his tech talks. Sony also did some dev documentaries for GoW and TLoU that were pretty awesome, i would love to see more of those too.

Do you think either one negatively affects their brand? I think Xbox comes of as way too PR heavy since their game output is so low compared to Sony/Nintendo, it sets them up for easy jokes like the ones in this thread or Jimbo's "we will let our games do the talking", thats a pretty big burn.
So MS is a dog and Sony is a cat?

I'd be really interested in info on the mismanagement that lead to a whole decade of no Retro Studios game, but we'll probably never find out.

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Banned
Ok let’s be honest here. Microsoft is not open AT ALL. They hide all relevant metrics regarding Xbox and hide behind fluff like engagement. They then proceed to make a lot of PR stunts to make them seem like top dog and cool but it’s all performative and empty. They also pay people to shill for them in all social media and are very shady about it. They also pretend everything is fine with their game development and go radio silent for years and most of what we hear are shady bad news rumors.
So, how is Microsoft open vs Sony and Nintendo?
Sony and Nintendo reveal their relevant metrics: we know how many consoles and games they sold. We know their revenue and profit, we know every single thing about Sony and Nintendo market performance.
So, how is Microsoft open? Because they talk a lot but Sony and Nintendo don’t show their hands unless they’re ready for it?
Nah, Microsoft is the closed one here, not Sony or Nintendo.
Thread premise is nonsense.

Last edited:

TheTurboFD

PlayStation & Nintendo let’s their games do the talking. The problem with Phil is that he just talks and it amounts to nothing. What it’s been like 3 years in a row talking about “This is the year” and nothing ? Instead of buying companies they should invest that money inward and get the ball rolling already.

Maverick074

Banned
Even though Microsoft and the Xbox is consistently in last place in my eyes, I do respect the importance they put on backwards compatibility and preservation of older games, something both Sony and Nintendo don't care as much about.

NickFire

I complain about both messaging styles, although I might be shutting my mouth on the Sony end. If long periods of silence are the cost of my stocked library and the kind of not shocking but still so very shocking final details about GT7 VR, then so be it.

Top Bottom