• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsofts openess vs Sony and Nintendos closed door policy. What do you prefer?

Ar¢tos

...no. MS = rat, Sony = squirrel. I thought we already had established this.
That's not too bad...
Ratatoskr has a cool design and he is always very polite. However I don't remember any rat in a Xbox game (non third party, so no TMNT) .

nowhat

That's not too bad...
Ratatoskr has a cool design and he is always very polite. However I don't remember any rat in a Xbox game (non third party, so no TMNT) .
I mean, like... "green rats" doesn't ring any bell for you? It's very meta, related to this forum, but for realzies. "Green rats". Nothing? Really?

Ar¢tos

I mean, like... "green rats" doesn't ring any bell for you? It's very meta, related to this forum, but for realzies. "Green rats". Nothing? Really?
No.. Maybe it's related to something that happened when I was away from gaming for nearly one year.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
I dunno the way he said "we believe in generations" and then proceeded to show a bunch of games, most of which turned out to be cross-gen (including ones we thought were next-gen only but weren't, including Horizon, Spiderman, and Gran Turismo and then later God of War), still irks me to this day.

Everyone was shitting on Xbox at the time for saying their "true next-gen" games wouldn't be coming til late 2022-2023 and IMO Playstation decided to be liberal with the truth and their wording to capitalize on people's mild irritation toward Xbox.

Fast forward to late 2022/early 2023 and of course Sony is in a better position games-wise (IMO) but back at that very point in time, it feels like a bit of a lie/stretch looking back.
Are we still spreading that We believe in Generations FUD still in 2023? You are either a troll or you have difficulty reading. Which one is it?

supernova8

Banned
Are we still spreading that We believe in Generations FUD still in 2023? You are either a troll or you have difficulty reading. Which one is it?
Lol play the game not the man. There's nothing FUD about it. They knew exactly what they were doing and what people would think when they said it at the time.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Lol play the game not the man. There's nothing FUD about it. They knew exactly what they were doing and what people would think when they said it at the time.
So you are trolling. Try reading the message in context (the whole statement) and come back to me. Let me know if you still stand by your dopey comment.

supernova8

Banned
So you are trolling. Try reading the message in context (the whole statement) and come back to me. Let me know if you still stand by your dopey comment.
I read all the messages and I watched all the videos. Again, play the game not the man.

Or.... go fuck yourself cunty cunt.
See what happens when people drop to your level.

Have a great day.

Ironically we have people complaining that there are no plans to make PSVR2 compatible with PSVR1 games. I guess you can't please everyone.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
I read all the messages and I watched all the videos. Again, play the game not the man.

Or.... go fuck yourself cunty cunt.
See what happens when people drop to your level.

Have a great day.

iBtO9ua.jpg

He was on about the generational improvement in the controller, sound and benefitting from ssd. Not the rubbish you are saying.

supernova8

Banned

iBtO9ua.jpg

He was on about the generational improvement in the controller, sound and benefitting from ssd. Not the rubbish you are saying.
OK so this is an article in gamesindustry.biz, yeah? A website that.... basically nobody except people like us and industry folks would ever read.

Go and re-watch the Future of Gaming PS5 video they put out to reveal the PS5 and launch games, which has 15 million views. 15... million.. views...

I'll say it again for the hundredth time, they knew exactly what they were doing.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
OK so this is an article in gamesindustry.biz, yeah? A website that.... basically nobody except people like us and industry folks would ever read.

Go and re-watch the Future of Gaming PS5 video they put out to reveal the PS5 and launch games, which has 15 million views. 15... million.. views...

I'll say it again for the hundredth time, they knew exactly what they were doing.
So you are saying that an interview where sad pathetic MS fanboys and/or incompetent people took the wrong message from it and thought that it somehow meant all games from PS5 launch date would be PS5 only. I've shown you the full message and it was with the lesser publications that began the we believe in generations trash off trolls on the website.

What did Ryan say in the start of that video (Futuee of Gaming PS5) other than a generational leap in how games look, sound and feel. Which is fucking true. 😂

You were either fooled by trolls and didn't bother looking it up yourself or you can't comprehend what people actually say and what it means.

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Interestingly Microsoft have zero openness when it comes to actual important things like their financials and sales figures etc. Their 'openness' is only about 'controlling the narrative'.

Do you play games or figures of how many sold

Topher

Gold Member
a year were Microsoft released a decent amount of games and got publisher of the year is a dry year for Sony. the games they released were good but only 2 of them that year. last year for Microsoft was terrible.

that year they had planned to release god of war raganrok and gran turismoe and both delayed

So now Sony had a dry year because MS won publisher of the year? That's a console warrior take and you keep moving the goalposts. We were not comparing Sony and Microsoft at all.

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Banned
I dunno the way he said "we believe in generations" and then proceeded to show a bunch of games, most of which turned out to be cross-gen (including ones we thought were next-gen only but weren't, including Horizon, Spiderman, and Gran Turismo and then later God of War), still irks me to this day.

Everyone was shitting on Xbox at the time for saying their "true next-gen" games wouldn't be coming til late 2022-2023 and IMO Playstation decided to be liberal with the truth and their wording to capitalize on people's mild irritation toward Xbox.

Fast forward to late 2022/early 2023 and of course Sony is in a better position games-wise (IMO) but back at that very point in time, it feels like a bit of a lie/stretch looking back.
The bolded. Literally a small irrelevant minority cares about this.
The vast majority wants to play games, be they crossgen or not.
The concern trolling over we believe in generations was always stupid.

Lol!!!

Microsoft is the most closed of all three, they intentionally mislead or make vague statements, and we barely get any information from them! No indications of how studios are doing, controlled leaks, cryptic promises so they can say they didn't break any, and zero numbers for anything, even Mau most of the time.

Microsoft has fooled OP and those who agree with him, that coverup PR is 'openess' lol.

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
His policies decisions are definitely worse for consumers but on the other hand doesn’t appear to be hurting his company’s bottom line yet…

Spencer on the other hand has largely been completely incompetent at running the division they cannot publish anything remotely near the quality of its two competitors and without MS unlimited $ backing would likely be out of business by now
he earned
the consequences of being too "open".

X-Wing

Considering the slow output from Xbox Games Studios, and since people are getting tired of buying controllers, they put Phil up for interviews so people don't forget the brand.

Woopah

I don't think Somy or Nintnedo have that much of a closed door do they? They do interviews and have events fairly regularly. I get that different people have different styles but I don't get the impression that Nintendo or Sony are not communicating.

Woopah

Engagement is THE most important metric.

Without engagement, we will have Japan like situation everywhere. Casuals will abandon consoles and flock to mobile.

Poor Japanese gamers I feel bad for them. Local developers served them boredom. Hopefully they will rebound and make some engaging stuff.

Nice visuals can go only so far in maintaining interest.
We get good games from Japan all the time. Fire Emblem Engage came out last month, Octopath 2 and Theatrhythm come out this month, and the Resident Evil 4 remake comes out next month. Plus all the other games that are announced for this year.

Shrap

The Phil delusion is amazing. He has failed year after year to provide consistent and quality first party output yet states each year will be the best in Xbox history, he seems to not have any idea what the fuck his studios are doing yet hypes them up (see Halo Infinite), he cowers from direct comparisons to Sony unless it makes Sony look like the big bad bully, he talks about providing games to more people while buying out entire publishers and reducing the platforms their games are available on and the list of his lies goes on forever.

I've never seen a CEO in gaming less deserving of praise and in need of a reality check than Phil Spencer and if he's an example of their open policy then I think Microsoft would benefit from closing their policy a bit more.

The Phil delusion is amazing. He has failed year after year to provide consistent and quality first party output yet states each year will be the best in Xbox history, he seems to not have any idea what the fuck his studios are doing yet hypes them up (see Halo Infinite), he cowers from direct comparisons to Sony unless it makes Sony look like the big bad bully, he talks about providing games to more people while buying out entire publishers and reducing the platforms their games are available on and the list of his lies goes on forever.

I've never seen a CEO in gaming less deserving of praise and in need of a reality check than Phil Spencer and if he's an example of their open policy then I think Microsoft would benefit from closing their policy a bit more.
hey! he's only been 'rebuilding' xbox for just under 10 years now - show some patience! he'll get there. eventually...

OuterLimits

Jim Ryan: "Who the hell wants to play old games". Honestly, it's often better when Jim stays silent.

Sony then decides to introduce PS+ Premium where you can pay extra to enjoy classic games. Unfortunately Sony has decided the few classics they put on the service months ago at launch was good enough I guess.

Umbasaborne

Banned
Hi fi rush, while great, does not immediatley make up for years of publically cancelled projects, and games that were announced way too early with meaningless cg trailers. If ms can get out more wins like this then the conversation will change, but one w does not make up for what has so far been a generation of some pretty major misgivings on Microsoft's exclusive first party front (flight sim and forza horizon 5 not withstanding)

Reactions: GHG

phil_t98

#SonyToo
So now Sony had a dry year because MS won publisher of the year? That's a console warrior take and you keep moving the goalposts. We were not comparing Sony and Microsoft at all.

sony released 2 games that year, none of which were massive headline quality games, yes both decent games, how many did Microsoft release that year? what was Sony's big game that year? the headline game they released?

RickMasters

Show me the games and shut up about everything else.
This. They wouldnt have to talk so much if they just got their shit in order. Makes no sense they have all the recourses they have and struggle like sega in their last days of the console biz. And stuff like fable should have never been announced so soon when they are so far away...because now he has to do the whole PR thing for god knows how long. I like where they SEEM to be going ...letting their studios do their own thing and just funding them..its working out well so far. I love pentinet, grounded, Hi fi rush.....and hopefully that streak of good things keeps coming with redfall, forza, hellblade and starfield..... stalker 2 and the like....maybe, contraband? for me that would be a strong showing from them. it LOOKs like they are going to have that year as long as the quality is there. and then hopefully 2024 gives us avowed, everwild etc. and they can get into a steady groove...and never repeat the mistakes of halo:infinite.....because we will need a new halo at some point. new doom, quake (heretic/hexen, even) they got so much IP to play with..and potentially more when/if the ABK deal goes though .. perhaps revisiting WoW and starfcart with new games set in those universes ...anybody remember the cancelled starcraft:ghost? they could make exlusives based on those games, that deviate from their usual RTS style while updating the RTS games with new content..add a nothe rtier of GP that includes subs for ESO, WoW, starcraft and COD, overwatch and halo battle passes. how bout a conker, banjo, crash, spyro multiverse style mash up platformer, with R&C-like world portal mechanics? that would be crazy. Thats the kind of stuff I would do If I was running MS/Xbox. they just need to get on with it. show some vision and passion for what the IPs they have and do big ideas that are fun. I dont see why they have such an aversion to these sorts of ideas.. Its always about how to get an extra dollar out of the gamer these days. I feel like thats what happened to halo.....

phil_t98

#SonyToo
I like actual facts, not PR fluff.

When it comes to facts and data, Microsoft are the most closed of all.

so you play facts? got ya

I like playing games on my consoles, something Microsoft let gamers down last year. played some good Sony games last year though

envyzeal

I thought on making a thread of it, but It'll probably get me banned and/or just become a war thread. But I think this is interesting news for this thread.
We got the information today in Brazil that Microsoft is stopping the production and distribution of physical games in Brazil. Main reason being low sales. We know that consoles prices in Brazil are very expensive, which gave XSS a great boost, and market has changed its gaming purchase habits, shifting for a more digital approach. But still, Brazil is latin's america biggest market and generated U$2,1billion gaming revenue in 2021.
This news sparked rumours about Microsoft halting localization/subtitles, but for now, they denied that information.

Topher

Gold Member
sony released 2 games that year, none of which were massive headline quality games, yes both decent games, how many did Microsoft release that year? what was Sony's big game that year? the headline game they released?

Both Sony's games that year were AAA games. I'd say R&C was the headliner. Was it "massive"? Nope. Did Microsoft release more games? Yep. Did Microsoft have a better year overall? Yep. Did Microsoft's better year make Sony's year "dry"? Nope.

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Both Sony's games that year were AAA games. I'd say R&C was the headliner. Was it "massive"? Nope. Did Microsoft release more games? Yep. Did Microsoft have a better year overall? Yep. Did Microsoft's better year make Sony's year "dry"? Nope.

so the year that god of war ragnarok Gran tturusmo and Returnal and ratchet due to come out and only half the games crame out that year, coarse

Last edited:
We get good games from Japan all the time. Fire Emblem Engage came out last month, Octopath 2 and Theatrhythm come out this month, and the Resident Evil 4 remake comes out next month. Plus all the other games that are announced for this year.

I have tried showing a lot of my friends/ relatives, games like these.

But all they wanna play is Counter Strike, Roblox etc.

SHA

They always feels like honest ordinary people like us, not some special aliens from distanced exoplanets, they were always like that.

Mung

so you play facts? got ya

I like playing games on my consoles, something Microsoft let gamers down last year. played some good Sony games last year though
Lol nice strawman.

I can play games regardless of PR bs. MS should focus on actual delivery. My post was obviously highlighting that they simply aren't more 'open' with info, since they are totally closed when it comes to real factual information that everyone else provides, apart from the fabled MAUs.
It's just 'we're gamers like you' crap.

Last edited:

NahaNago

I keep thinking this is a trick question. Like o course you would want them to be more open. Why wouldn't we want to know more about the console and games that will come out. The closed door policy seems to allow Sony and Nintendo to pump out a bunch of good to great first party games.

Last edited:

poodaddy

Gold Member
I like Phil more as a CEO, but I don't ultimately care much as all 3 are putting out absolute shit in my opinion. What a terrible time for gaming. No offense to the Sony stuff and all, but I hate overly cinematic movie wanna be experiences, and I hate Microsoft's obsession with always online shit and "engagement", and I hate how Nintendo runs everything about their company and how anti consumer they are.

I can see me going full PC when my daughter's an adult. About done with all the console eco systems altogether, they're just not interesting me anymore outside of a few exceptions on each platform, but those exceptions are not enough to justify my owning all three platforms like I always have.

Top Bottom