• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of War PC performance thread

Moz

Nothing happens when I click to start the game.

Nothing happens when I browse to the directory and run shadowofwar.exe.

Nothing happens when I run it as admin.

Nothing happens when I disable my Antivirus and try to run it.

Nothing happens when I try to install the texture/cinematic packs.

All drivers up to date. 1080ti/6700k.

I have 3 monitors including a 165hz Gsync monitor.

All other games run normally, including Shadow of Mordor.

I have verified the integrity of local files, nothing happened.

Don't really want to download 70Gb again.

Help? :(

Edit: Found this in eventvwr:

Faulting application name: ShadowOfWar.exe, version: 1.0.7210.0, time stamp: 0x59d5cd68
Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000000000000
Faulting process ID: 0x2614
Faulting application start time: 0x01d3421db0ef35a9
Faulting application path: D:\Games\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\ShadowOfWar\x64\ShadowOfWar.exe
Faulting module path: unknown
Report ID: b31606be-73e5-40a7-9105-8462cebda108
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

shanafan

Downloading the 65.6 GB now. If this game runs well in 4K/30 FPS on my GTX 1070/i7-7700K, I will be one happy camper.

I'm not sure if this will be of much help but have you tried running any programs in the redistributes folder? Most, if not all Steam games have this folder, try installing everything in there as some games may have dependencies on these files, usually Steam should install it for you on the first launch after verifying the integrity. After installing these I've managed to fix issues where a game wouldn't launch or would crash.

Bnxk32t.png

Other people were having issues with multi monitors - maybe unplug the other two to test? Other than that, maybe try editing the cfg file to force borderless? Or try disabling dpi scaling? Other than that...I can’t think of anything.

Chakan

Game - 67.4GB
4K Textures - 10.5GB
4K Cinematics - 21.6GB
Total - 99.5GB

According to the game, you need 8.6GB VRAM to play the game on 4K with 4K textures.

Moz

Other people were having issues with multi monitors - maybe unplug the other two to test? Other than that, maybe try editing the cfg file to force borderless? Or try disabling dpi scaling? Other than that...I can’t think of anything.

Tried all three, no dice. Tried reinstalling Steam and Nvidia drivers, tried an sfc /scannow, tried lowering my desktop resolution to 1080p etc. So after six hours of the game doing nothing, I'm out £35 and it's 1am, and there isn't even a PC section on the Warner Bros tech support page.

Found a couple of threads of people with the same issue on Steam forums, so hopefully there will be a patch so I can play it for a bit before Evil Within comes out... sigh.

Tried all three, no dice. Tried reinstalling Steam and Nvidia drivers, tried an sfc /scannow, tried lowering my desktop resolution to 1080p etc. So after six hours of the game doing nothing, I'm out £35 and it's 1am, and there isn't even a PC section on the Warner Bros tech support page.

Found a couple of threads of people with the same issue on Steam forums, so hopefully there will be a patch so I can play it for a bit before Evil Within comes out... sigh.

I was getting a similar message/crash (though I could get into the game) and resolved it by removing my overclock on my CPU.

If you have any parts overclocked try reverting to stock

heringer

Gave up on getting stable 60 fps on my 970. It drops to 40's far to frequently, even with high/medium settings. Settled for 30 fps and higher res.

agentreza

My fellow 1080 Ti owners out there, have you been able to get it locked to 60 fps at 4k? Any settings you had to turn down??

Stormus

Running 980ti on 1440 with just about everything maxed and getting a solid 60. I will say I don't think this game looks noticeably any better than Shadow of Mordor which is a bit of a disappointment.

dr_rus

TB6c.png

In-game benchmark results from my PC. Strangely enough they are quite different from those posted by GameGPU although they've presumably used the same benchmarking sequence.

All in all the benchmark is pretty light. I've added 3840x2400 just to see if it will keep above 30 running Ultra.

1920x1200 res is hitting my CPU one core performance limit. Game's engine could certainly benefit from better CPU threading as it seems to max out one thread too often while some of them are at 0% utilization.

FiraB

Banned
TB6c.png

In-game benchmark results from my PC. Strangely enough they are quite different from those posted by GameGPU although they've presumably used the same benchmarking sequence.

All in all the benchmark is pretty light. I've added 3840x2400 just to see if it will keep above 30 running Ultra.

1920x1200 res is hitting my CPU one core performance limit. Game's engine could certainly benefit from better CPU threading as it seems to max out one thread too often while some of them are at 0% utilization.

You got comparison videos in the works dr_rus?

I noticed whenever i change settings my performance is stuck at 50-60 fps, when I alt tab it goes to what it should be at 80-100 fps. Sorry if this was mentioned already

killroy87

Running 980ti on 1440 with just about everything maxed and getting a solid 60. I will say I don't think this game looks noticeably any better than Shadow of Mordor which is a bit of a disappointment.
I think a big part of it is the lighting. It has one of the most flat lighting models I’ve seen in a long time, it makes the world look super flat and boring. I’m curious to see it with HDR, see if that helps any, because the game really isn’t a looker at max settings.

ss_lemonade

Interesting. People were saying it looked better than Witcher 3 (which I think looks many times better than Shadow of Mordor, especially at 4k)

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Whenever I got to install the Ultra textures or the 4k videos pack it just starts the game up. Any ideas as to why that is happening?

Mister Wolf

I've checked windows display settings and don't see any option to enable HDR. Am I missing something. I have played a couple of HDR games already for PC no problem with my TV.

shanafan

What is Dynamic Resolution exactly? I am playing on my 4K/60hz monitor, and I set the vertical sync to 30 as well as the Max FPS at 30, with the scaled resolution at 3840 x 2160. I set the dynamic resolution to 60, thinking to make that native to my monitor. Would that make sense? My goal is 4K/30FPS.

I just played through the opening 'mission' in 4K/30FPS and it played pretty well. Only experienced a minor slowdown once for a mere second, but wasn't that bad other than that. I have my GeForce Experience FPS counter on, and it was locked at 30 the entire time.

robotrock

Banned
I hear you can disable it via Geforce Experience if you have it installed. I didn't, so I had to go to <Program FilesNVIDIA CorporationAnselToolsNvCameraConfiguration.exe> and disable it there. Set "Ansel status" to disable.
I don’t have experience installed, but also, this file doesn’t exist for me. Hmm
What is Dynamic Resolution exactly? I am playing on my 4K/60hz monitor, and I set the vertical sync to 30 as well as the Max FPS at 30, with the scaled resolution at 3840 x 2160. I set the dynamic resolution to 60, thinking to make that native to my monitor. Would that make sense? My goal is 4K/30FPS.

I just played through the opening 'mission' in 4K/30FPS and it played pretty well. Only experienced a minor slowdown once for a mere second, but wasn't that bad other than that. I have my GeForce Experience FPS counter on, and it was locked at 30 the entire time.
Dynamic resolution dynamically drops the res to keep the framerate. You should put it on 30 if you’re playing at 30fps. Or set it to off if you don’t want it to ever drop the res.

I'm seeing some performance impact from the Ultra textures now, there was a couple spots where it was dropping into the 30's, turning them back down to High increased the frame rate back to 60+.

Mister Wolf

Apparently I need to download the Creators Update for the HDR option. I thought windows 10 would have downloaded and installed that update automatically.

Arrith

Neo Member
Ok I think i'm done playing this game until it gets patched or something gets fixed, just got to a part of the game where gpu usage was 15-20%~ and fps was 20-22, card is not being pushed whatsoever. it's so bloody broken.

posted before but specs below.

CPU: Ryzen 1700 @ 3.9Ghz
Ram: 16gig
Mobo: Asus Crosshair Vi
GPU: GeForce GTX 1080 Ti watercooled @ 1936Mhz
Resolution run at: 3440x1440p @ 100hz (acer x34) with gysnc on
Running off an SSD

Screenshot: https://i.imgur.com/pA4EWIt.jpg

jrcbandit

Ok I think i'm done playing this game until it gets patched or something gets fixed, just got to a part of the game where gpu usage was 15-20%~ and fps was 20-22, card is not being pushed whatsoever. it's so bloody broken.

posted before but specs below.

CPU: Ryzen 1700 @ 3.9Ghz
Ram: 16gig
Mobo: Asus Crosshair Vi
GPU: GeForce GTX 1080 Ti watercooled @ 1936Mhz
Resolution run at: 3440x1440p @ 100hz (acer x34) with gysnc on
Running off an SSD

Screenshot: https://i.imgur.com/pA4EWIt.jpg

This seems a common bug for Ryzen + 1080 Ti combination. But other Nvidia cards + Ryzen or Vega + Ryzen work just fine for various people. It's annoying that lowering the resolution or the detail settings doesn't affect the frame rate whatsoever. I stopped playing after getting frame rate drops to 40-48 FPS no matter my settings in the first town area with an Orc Captain. No idea if it would drop to 22 fps later like you are finding.

Arrith

Neo Member
Yeah t's very odd considering every other game plays great. I sent a ticket to WB support with every step I atttempted to try and fix it and as much information I could provide. Hope it helps and hope they can patch the issue.

Korezo

Do Nvidia driver updates improve performance for older gpus like the 980Ti, or are these game specific driver updates good only for current 10 series gpus?

Top Bottom