• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Midnight Mass

trikster40

I agree, binged it over two days. Really great, great characters, great setting, and it’s not as monologue-y as people claim. Highly recommend as well.

Show was fucking amazing. Haven't seen any of Mike Flanagans other work.

Does it hold a candle to this?
I would check out:
Geralds Game (great)
Doctor Sleep (it’s decent)
Oculus (decent)
Haunting of Hill House (great)

I thought Haunting of Hill House was fantastic. Not as good as Midnight Mass but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Especially if you dig ghost tales. Some of the same actors too.

Last edited:
I loved, nay, I adored Hill House but I found Bly Manor a chore.

I wish Midnight Mass had been wiling to terrify more. I didn't mind the soap-opera dialogue, because he clearly cares about the characters and has detailed, beautiful plans for them but I wished he would up the fear level to 10 from 7. Maybe that's too sloppy for the guy who knows...

I think that's what I loved so much about Hill House, and found so wanting in Bly Manor, HH was very balanced.

Anyway, kudos to all involved, but I want a Dark Shadows adaptation, a "Shadow Over Innsmouth" adaptation, or an original r- rated feature in a more Hammer Production style.

jason10mm

Gold Member
If you like Flanagan and his wife then check out the flick they did where she is deaf, "Hush". It's pretty good. Midnight Mass was good but a bit heavy handed on the catholicism and light on the horror IMHO.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Mixed feelings tbh. Starten good, but the horror never came. Should have been shorter and less forced dialog. Ending was a little anticlimactic - hoped it would turn full on horror by that point. Idea is great. Still on of the better Netflix produced shows, and Im happy its a short series with a somewhat conclusive ending.

Don't understand why:
Why no one said the word Vampire out loud . Lol. Honestly the last episode was just bad.

The Vampire itself was heavily under utilized. It based its chance on survival on a human, with no direct power over him - it actually comes of as kind of dumb. Gets lost in a church in the desert, gets shipped to the US, eats cats and rats, bets burned and sliced while to into sucking blood... and then limbs off when things get to hot to handle... should have left it out altogether or handled differently ...

Last edited:

20cent

Banned
Damn they were right...

ZcSLlqk.png

I didn't like the last two episodes as much as the previous ones, but until the end of ep5, what a show.
Monsignor was amazing, yes.

Last edited:
That scene when Riley walks into the church unannounced
and the vampire slowly turns around and the Monsignor is like "...oh" and that motherfucker flies at the speed of light with no sound? That got me good

Labolas

Mixed feelings tbh. Starten good, but the horror never came. Should have been shorter and less forced dialog. Ending was a little anticlimactic - hoped it would turn full on horror by that point. Idea is great. Still on of the better Netflix produced shows, and Im happy its a short series with a somewhat conclusive ending.

Don't understand why:
Why no one said the word Vampire out loud . Lol. Honestly the last episode was just bad.

The Vampire itself was heavily under utilized. It based its chance on survival on a human, with no direct power over him - it actually comes of as kind of dumb. Gets lost in a church in the desert, gets shipped to the US, eats cats and rats, bets burned and sliced while to into sucking blood... and then limbs off when things get to hot to handle... should have left it out altogether or handled differently ...
Yeah, this is exactly how I felt. The characters were interesting but damn the horror aspect wasn't there for me.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Yeah, this is exactly how I felt. The characters were interesting but damn the horror aspect wasn't there for me.
I also think it was kind of off putting how the disappearance of a couple islanders was brushed under the rug. No one gave a shit that on a small ass Island people went missing real freakin fast.

Fbh

I'm on episode 5.
It's a bit slow (specially early on) and the over reliance on monologues gets a bit tiring after a while. But overall I'm enjoying it. Some good performances and interesting themes.

ParaSeoul

Probably the best Netflix original ever so far even if that isn't saying much,makes me want to check out Flanagans other stuff.
Also I see the word monologue going to be used a lot in this thread.

Really enjoyed it (minus a couple monologues that went on a bit as others stated). Monsignor actor was aces, and so was what's her face church lady; fantastic acting.

I followed up with Hill House and very much enjoyed that as well.

Started Bly Manor, on first few episodes now.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I was really hoping the Muslim kid would summon Allah or something for a good old fashioned religious beatdown.

I also wanted a vamp baby to rip its way out of momma and the crippled girls spine to wrench itself free of her body and slither away. Horror motherfucker!

Vampire cats would also have been cool.

edit: I really want an adaptation of Brian Lumley's Necroscope book series. The vamps in that series are a bit more like The Thing in that they start as an infective egg or parasite that takes over the host to an extent and allows for ectoplasmic flesh alterations. They are interdimensional invaders hellbent on conquest and enslavement of humans as objects of lust and flesh bricks for making bioorganic constructions. Be fucking awesome to see that shit on screen.

Last edited:

Konnor

The show was trying to do too many things and had too many characters to properly develop in 7 episodes. It felt like a collection of short stories sometimes and honestly even the main theme of the show, religion, was barely developed beyond the usual modern Hollywood tropes. I also don't have a problem with monologues but the particular ones felt preachy at times and ultimately pointless since they didn't really contribute anything a decent dialogue couldn't do.

Imo it was the worse Flanagan show this far, insanely good acting though from almost every actor in the show.

Last edited:
Top Bottom