• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Might DOOM Released - My Impressions

For those who do not know - Bethesda has released their new title today for mobile platforms - Mighty DOOM.

Now I want to preface this - I normally very rarely play mobile games. Usually only if I am waiting for something, on the toilet or in a waiting room at a clinic or something.

As a huge DOOM fan from the 90s, I love DOOM. The last 2 games were incredible, obviously Mighty DOOM is not a mainline game (thank god) however, to my surprise it's a fun little game that I just spent about an hour playing in my bed cause I am bored as hell. I was only planning on playing for like 5 to 10 minutes, but it got me hooked.

The game is played from a top down perspective and the slayer auto shoots the mobs. As you kill mobs, you get exp and sometimes you are presented with 3 different upgrades towards either your weapons or the DOOM guy. This is a roguelike game where you start a run and see how far you can get. There are many different chapters and each chapter has 40 stages. Every 10th stage is a boss, after you kill the boss you also get another 3 choices for an upgrade on top of spinning a wheel for another random upgrade.

It is a mobile game so P2W transactions are to be expected , if you wish to progress a bit quicker you can. Or you can watch an AD to get a free crate that has loot. You can equip your slayer with different classical weapons from the original games like the shotgun, mini gun and so on.

You can also use your rocket launcher on a cool down every 10 seconds and get upgrades for it throughout the run as well.

When the run completes you get tokens that can upgrade your gear and weapons, these upgrades stay forever. So even if you don't make it super far in a run, your still progressing. I did 4 runs and almost beat 80 stages which is equal to 2 whole chapters.

The game is also very bloody, has glory kills that are tied to gameplay mechanics with its own upgrades. So despite its cartoony look its still violent as always.

Overall - fun little DOOM game. And I recommend you at least give a shot. The soundtrack is very reminiscent of DOOM 1 and DOOM 2 so it feels right at home.

Last edited:

VN1X

Banned
Still not available here. Such a bizarre release window as well:
"Play the game at Global Launch, starting March 21, 2023 through April 20, 2023 to receive the Mini Slayer's Pack"

So... very much not a global launch then?! :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Rhazkul

Played it for 10 minutes. The game is a copy of Archero. Same concept, same playstyle. And that's exactly the problem with these shitty mobile games: cannibalization of features and game design. Play one of these games and you played them all. FFS, they even often use the same kind of icons ("Angry man screaming" etc). Plus these games have progression brickwalls. Which means: you won't be able to progress if you don't put in the grind or money. No amount of skill will ever offset this. Trash.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
bad movies endless trash GIF

Drizzlehell

Banned
So it's like Vampire Survivors but Doom and more shitty? Those super tiny levels don't look too inviting.

But sure, I'm a Doom turbo-fan so I'll probably check it out anyway.

I'll install it and give it a run in the usual mobile gaming sessions e.g. getting teeth pulled or waiting for my kids sports/pickups etc. Mighty be a good 5 minutes waster.

Bridges

Very minor thing that few will care about, but I'm trying to wrap my head around why a Microsoft game doesn't have achievements?

This has been in early access since early 2021 and the end result is an annoying little game.
It's pretty fun once you make a retarded build that melts everything in two seconds but the progression is pure bullshit. Overwhelming amount of timers, crap loot and upgrades. There's so much stuff but the grind is slower than usual for a mobile game.
I got this really bad feeling when I upgraded my dude to level 10 in a couple of hours for 1% extra damage across all dudes and the next universal boost is 2% health at level 80.

It feels like a reaction to Elder Scrolls Blades, which had excellent loot once they removed the lootbox timers but still petered out.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Mighty Doom reviewed by Chris Reed on iOS/iPhone, also available on Android.

There is a devilishly fun roguelite hiding in Mighty Doom, but the way it’s been buried under all the most egregious money-making schemes in mobile gaming is hugely disappointing. The first few hours are fun, but it’s not long before a super-powered difficulty spike hits like a BFG blast to the chest. This invisible paywall and the free-to-play speed bumps that accompany it turn Mighty Doom into a teeth-grindingly frustrating experience.

• The game is a single stick shooter with automatic shooting and on-screen joystick controls. Players move around levels, avoiding enemies, projectiles, and environmental dangers while also using special weapons like a rocket launcher and BFG.
  • Mighty Doom is a roguelite game with persistent gear and temporary upgrades that empower players to increase their combat capabilities. Levels are made up of 40 stages with bosses to take down every 10. Bosses are unique versions of standard enemies with their own attacks and patterns.
  • The game has a heavy metal soundtrack that sounds like it was pulled straight from the recent Doom games. The announcer calls out the name of upgrades in an over-the-top manner.
  • The game has a steep difficulty spike that halts progress, making it feel less like a balanced miscalculation and more like an unspoken paywall. The only way to progress is either to spend weeks grinding or an alarming amount of money to make it slightly more realistic.
  • The game has a lot of free-to-play elements, including an avalanche of currencies, keys, energy coins, and crystals, which can all be purchased with real money. The game has an emphasis on purchasable loot boxes, making the difficulty feel like a paywall.

Not going to lie, I'm having a great time with this game. I haven't paid a single cent, and it seems to be pretty fair if you don't mind the grind. I typically bust it out when I have 10-20 minutes to kill.

Top Bottom