• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mighty Thor (Jane Foster) announced for Marvel's Avengers

So they bring Jane Foster.....and decide to make her a Thor clone?
Shes could have been such an interesting character if they used her Valkyrie form.....they could even lock her weapon in its flail form and she would be more interesting than a Thor skin.
That's because it's the equivalent of a smash echo character. The Avengers team adopted this as one of their methods of releasing new characters last year with the release of Hawkeye and Kate. It's a way to ease the pain of fans waiting so long for content. They're rumored to have one more echo character(potentially She-Hulk) on the way and 2 actually new characters(Winter Soldier and _____) and Winter Soldier is rumored to come with a mini-campaign like Hawkeye.

Tl;dr this is an echo character(since they take less time to develop) so no Valkyrie for now.

mitch1971

TBH honest I read it as Jane Fonda.

jane-fonda-02.jpg

Reizo Ryuu

The Avengers team adopted this as one of their methods of releasing new characters last year with the release of Hawkeye and Kate. It's a way to ease the pain of fans waiting so long for content.
This isn't true, kate and clint were supposed to release very quickly after each other and they were going to tie-in with the hawkeye disney+ show (their movesets are also completely different, so not an "echo" in the smash terminology), the show got delayed and the delay for kate and clint followed until a firm release date for the show got announced.
They already worked on them however and there wasn't anything else now they could release, so kate released after a month delay and clint got padded out to a few months later.

Black Widow then also got delayed, so they also delayed the red room content until it could tie-in with the movie; the black panther content was worked on first, but got delayed as well because of the death of chadwick boseman.
Spider-Man was always announced for "2021", but the movie was delayed to november 2021, and then a final delay to december, so there was nothing to tie-in the release of the character for months.

And now they suddenly announce Jane Foster, a day after the Love and Thunder trailer drops, and it seems to release in the same month as well, for another tie-in; they are clearly beholden to disney at some level, for tie-ins, and a smaller team + covid completely destroyed any content plans they initially had and it feels like they are just going from tie-in to tie-in now.

I don't think we can say they "adopted" "echo" characters until jane's gameplay is revealed, since clint wasn't an "echo" of kate.
With she-hulk being the next rumoured character, it would also be very weird if she was an "echo" for hulk.

Bragr

Banned
I have no idea what is going on, there is more than one Thor? Jane? Thor is Jane? Jane is Thor? huh?

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
I have no idea what is going on, there is more than one Thor? Jane? Thor is Jane? Jane is Thor? huh?
Anyone who is worthy of picking up Mjolnir gains the powers of Thor.
In the 2010s Odinson lost faith in his godhood and was unworthy of carrying the Hammer so Jane picked it up and become Thor for a time.

storm-goddess-of-thunder-fan-casting-poster-117137-large.jpg

Last edited:

CAPSOL

Movie tie in.

The character has actually been in the marvel comics since the 60s, but didn't wield Mjolnir as "Thor" until about 10 years ago.

For reference around a dozen other characters have picked up or wielded the hammer (or part of it) over the decades including aliens and even a frog.
Reminding me of Beta Ray Bill!

Top Bottom