• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mike Shinoda [Linkin Park] wrongly explaining benefit of NFTs in videogames is *chef's kiss*

He actually thinks you could just transfer models and textures across various games (on any platform) this easily?

Will Ferrell Lol GIF

No, he doesn't.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Well, he's (was?) part of Linkin Part. I don't expect much... or anything, at all.

I feel sorry for him.

He lost his best friend, and it was clearly the band was a big part of him. He tried his own thing which really doesn't get anywhere and he still do youtube about the band, makes collections etc. He can't really let it go, and it's like seeing someone who can't let go of their ex.

I feel bad for him.

Ozarkx

Banned
After seeing this, it’s hard to believe now that I was making fun of selling farts in a jar this week.

I mean, at least you have a jar afterwards to put something in?

No one is gonna give a shit about your one of a kind picture of a Neir Automata helmet 5 years from now, or ever.

With this shit selling, we have little excuse for all not being millionaires right now.

None.

They sell limited time skins, now they are trying to sell private one person skins.
The thing is they won't try to sell private skins that's not the point of this thing... they are going to try to sell people a "unique version" of the skin... this so called "unique version" is the same as the regular one but WITH the NFT token attached to it, that's the only difference.

There's not such a think as uniqueness in a digital world, if you ctrl + c and ctrl + v ANYTHING you'll create another "original" not a copy.

This concept for "uniqueness" or "limited" they are trying to push in a digital world makes absolute no sense whatsoever, but sadly there are enough dumb people to get scammed by such claims.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
only the current owner could import that model in a game.
AND HOW PRAY TELL IS A RANDOM PLAYER GOING TO IMPORT A MODEL OR TEXTURE INTO A GAME?

That is absolute fucking nonsense.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
I feel sorry for him.

He lost his best friend, and it was clearly the band was a big part of him. He tried his own thing which really doesn't get anywhere and he still do youtube about the band, makes collections etc. He can't really let it go, and it's like seeing someone who can't let go of their ex.

I feel bad for him.

I know it's always been the meme thing to hate on Linkin Park, but NFT nonsense aside, I think that's the wrong take on Mike. He's got a solo career, and I wouldn't say it's "not going anywhere," so much anything is going to look like a failure next to a band that puts out singles like Numb, which, regardless of quality or talent, have 1 billion views on YouTube.

Also, it's not like he can't let go. He was the songwriter for most of the Linkin Park music, even Breaking the Habit, which is usually regarded as Chester Bennington's theme song, essentially. If you wrote something that was super popular, that people still wanted to hear, and your band was currently on hiatus, what would you do?

Bluecondor

Like others have said, the hype for NFTs is ridiculous at times, but I could see some very specific gaming-related NFTs.

For example, imagine if TT sold NFT NPCs based on real life celebrities who could then appear in all future Rockstar games like GTA. For example, imagine if Dr. Dre had an NPC that TT sold for $5 that is available for a limited time with the release of the Dr. Dre DLC in GTAO. Beyond this, I could see a feature in which users could make/sell NFTs for user-created NPCs with specific storylines, etc. who would then always be available to add as NPCs in future GTA titles.

While these aren't NFTs, you actually see the demand/interest in NPCs for gaming franchises over time in the Animal Crossing series. After 20 years and multiple Animal Crossing titles, there are now over 400 NPC villagers in the game and you currently only have space for 10 villagers on your island. People already go to great lengths to get the most popular villagers (like Raymond for example). People already pay over $100 for the individual amiibo cards of popular villagers, as the amiibo card gives you the ability to invite the villager to your campsite in-game.

While I think there is little to no chance that we will ever see Nintendo selling NFTs for villagers in Animal Crossing (as the current amiibo system is clearly working for them, with AC amiibo cards selling out instantly), there is definitely a market for unique/specific NPCs in games like Animal Crossing (and GTA) that heavily-feature NPCs.

Last edited:

Bluecondor

Also, who said it better? Mike or Reese Witherspoon?:

"For all asking, NFTs are just digital goods. Your kids understand this because of Roblox or Minecraft. The sale of digital goods will be more important as we evolve to have more digital access to music, art and entertainment."

This is like asking what is the negative aspect of lootboxes on gaming because you would never personally use them.

It means games are designed around a consistant revenue stream first and as a game second. You can see what effect DLC and lootboxes have had over the last decade and a half on gaming.

Essentially it's anouther anti consumer golden goose that company's can throw there weight behind instead of "trying to make a good game"

You might as well be asking why a pyramid scheme should be made illegal because you would never invest in one.

There seen as a solution to a problem that has yet to be created, a solution that costs so far quite a premium.
Haven’t we already kinda crossed this bridge though? Micro transactions are already a thing - wouldn’t this just be a different version of that?

NinjaBoiX

It would be nice but I don’t think any developer is going to take the effort to support every nft possible in their own video games, especially if it comes from somewhere else.
What?

I think you don’t understand how NFT’s work either, you usually can’t actually do anything with the asset you “own”, it’s just a licence to say that it’s yours.

Or maybe it’s not? Who knows, I still have no idea what they are really. But I’m pretty sure it’s not as you described.

Tomeru

I always find it amazing when people just accept that something cant be done because of reasons.

One doesnt have to have all the answers to speculate and suggest things that are, frankly, entirely possible.

Especially if the thing that stops something from happening is a law.

Can you even comprehend the legal remifications of what you're suggesting?!?!?!?!

Last edited:
What?

I think you don’t understand how NFT’s work either, you usually can’t actually do anything with the asset you “own”, it’s just a licence to say that it’s yours.

Or maybe it’s not? Who knows, I still have no idea what they are really. But I’m pretty sure it’s not as you described.
That’s what I meant as well, I don’t see developers implement any license/asset that comes not from them because it’ll take them time, money and the newly created assets to support said license is only for 1 person.

chonga

Like others have said, the hype for NFTs is ridiculous at times, but I could see some very specific gaming-related NFTs.

For example, imagine if TT sold NFT NPCs based on real life celebrities who could then appear in all future Rockstar games like GTA. For example, imagine if Dr. Dre had an NPC that TT sold for $5 that is available for a limited time with the release of the Dr. Dre DLC in GTAO. Beyond this, I could see a feature in which users could make/sell NFTs for user-created NPCs with specific storylines, etc. who would then always be available to add as NPCs in future GTA titles.

While these aren't NFTs, you actually see the demand/interest in NPCs for gaming franchises over time in the Animal Crossing series. After 20 years and multiple Animal Crossing titles, there are now over 400 NPC villagers in the game and you currently only have space for 10 villagers on your island. People already go to great lengths to get the most popular villagers (like Raymond for example). People already pay over $100 for the individual amiibo cards of popular villagers, as the amiibo card gives you the ability to invite the villager to your campsite in-game.

While I think there is little to no chance that we will ever see Nintendo selling NFTs for villagers in Animal Crossing (as the current amiibo system is clearly working for them, with AC amiibo cards selling out instantly), there is definitely a market for unique/specific NPCs in games like Animal Crossing (and GTA) that heavily-feature NPCs.
Nothing you've just mentioned requires NFTs whatsoever.

Bluecondor

Nothing you've just mentioned requires NFTs whatsoever.
Right. I'm not suggesting that this requires NFTs. I am of the opinion that NFTs would be a reasonable means of encouraging companies/users to develop substantive NPCs. I agree though that there are many other ways developers can offer or support user/company-made NPCs.

Top Bottom