• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mike Ybarra's new job. Blizzard Entertainment?

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Clickbaity as fock...don't care. Apparently Mike Ybarra is joining Blizzard Entertainment! Let's hope he brings some good ol' Xbox good will to the company. Executive Vice President and General Manager.

Looks like he's excited. I hope everything goes well.

The Alien

Banned
Oh no!!! What shitty timing. If I have my Twitter dates right, Mike's got his work cut out for him:
  • October 9th...Mike tweets leaving Xbox (though I am sure a deal was in place a few days earlier).
  • October 10th....Blizzard releases statement punishing Hearthstone player who supported Hong Kong protest. Blizzard further expresses support for their almighty China overlords and drops to their knees forming the letter "O".
Anyways....I always liked Mike at XBox.
He seemed genuinely nice.
Best of luck.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
He was recently modded at RDX podcast because people kept making fake accounts and going in as if they were him. It'll be nice to see some insight from him if he has some freedom to speak about some things going on during his tenure at Xbox.

CitizenZ

Banned
Maybe she couldnt hack it? Maybe they didnt work together well, maybe she got a better offer, maybe she didnt see anything good. Who knows, who cares.

Last edited:

McCheese

Jen was always too good for the job, she's former studio head for Vicarious Visions - aka the studio that won "Best place to work" back in 2018. When ActiBlizzard took ownership of VV and delegated them to HD remasters, they realised they had a talented woman of mixed race and figured they could use her as a human shield for all the toxic shit blizzard has done so put her in charge, yet refused to do most of her suggestions such as publically apologising and firing staff rather than letting them resign, due to the implications it would have on the lawsuit - so she quit. Good for her.

Last edited by a moderator:

Horatius

"co-leaders" was always going to be non-functional, pr bait nonsense. no strict hierarchy can be led like that without years of both personal and institutional culture forming, never mind being thrown together after two seconds of thinking because shit was hitting the fan.

MiguelItUp

Man, Jen's up and down is probably one of the fastest job changes I've seen in awhile. But considering where she's come from, I can't really blame her at all.

Hinedorf

Banned

Blizzard Is Already Losing Its First Female Studio Co-Head - https://kotaku.com/blizzard-is-already-losing-its-first-female-studio-co-h-1847985147

-Female: Things are going just TOO WELL HERE that I see no reason to stay

5ymdNlB.gif

Last edited:

Kacho

Gold Member
The pronoun gallery at Blizzard claim they didn’t know about this before the call

This company is so fucked. Rockstar too probably. Crazy to see two juggernauts go out at the same time.

Vaelka

The pronoun gallery at Blizzard claim they didn’t know about this before the call

This company is so fucked. Rockstar too probably. Crazy to see two juggernauts go out at the same time.

People need to stop zero:ing in on gender and ethnicity, there were women at Blizzard who defended the harassers and enabled them.
There have been a ton of women in the industry outed as sex pests too just because you're a woman or a '' woman of color '' ( she looks white to me lol ) doesn't mean that you're automatically a good person.

Kacho

Gold Member
People need to stop zero:ing in on gender and ethnicity, there were women at Blizzard who defended the harassers and enabled them.
There have been a ton of women in the industry outed as sex pests too just because you're a woman or a '' woman of color '' ( she looks white to me lol ) doesn't mean that you're automatically a good person.
Right? The narrative that all of Blizzards problems will be solved if they have just the right amount of women and *insert race* is so unbelievably stupid. Activision is throwing millions of dollars at this ‘problem’ to make it happen.

Modern nerd culture attracts the types that make so much noise about this stuff so it’s unavoidable in a way. It just hurts to see so many franchises and studios slowly get infested by it. The same thing happened with D&D and MtG.

Top Bottom