Minecraft is a noted superpower in the gaming industry, and shows absolutely no signs of slowing down throughout 2021. Mojang Studios revealed during Minecraft Live 2021 that Minecraft saw over 141 million monthly active users in Aug. 2021, among other impressive metrics.
"In April, 2021, we reported that Minecraft had nearly 140 million monthly active users. It seems that momentum has impossibly managed to sustain and even grow since then, with Minecraft boasting over 141 million monthly active users in Aug. 2021. That means the number of people that actively played Minecraft just in Aug. approached and even surpassed the number of copies sold by some of the best-selling video games of all time. This shows that an incredible number of people are still investing plenty of time in Minecraft in 2021."
That's not all we learned, however. Below are some of the key statistics on Minecraft, all of which are up to date as of Aug. 2021. Unfortunately, Mojang did not provide an updated number for how many copies of Minecraft have been sold so far, meaning that number is still officially 238 million.
- There were over 141 million monthly active users in Aug. 2021
- Over $350 million in revenue has been generated by creators in the Minecraft Marketplace so far
- Over 67% of players actively customize their Minecraft experience using the Marketplace
- Over 1 billion hours have been logged in Minecraft multiplayer
- Over 201 billion hours of Minecraft YouTube videos were watched in 2020, making it the most-watched topic on YouTube that year