• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft boasts over 141 million monthly active users and other impressive numbers

"In April, 2021, we reported that Minecraft had nearly 140 million monthly active users. It seems that momentum has impossibly managed to sustain and even grow since then, with Minecraft boasting over 141 million monthly active users in Aug. 2021. That means the number of people that actively played Minecraft just in Aug. approached and even surpassed the number of copies sold by some of the best-selling video games of all time. This shows that an incredible number of people are still investing plenty of time in Minecraft in 2021."

That's not all we learned, however. Below are some of the key statistics on Minecraft, all of which are up to date as of Aug. 2021. Unfortunately, Mojang did not provide an updated number for how many copies of Minecraft have been sold so far, meaning that number is still officially 238 million.

• There were over 141 million monthly active users in Aug. 2021
  • Over $350 million in revenue has been generated by creators in the Minecraft Marketplace so far
  • Over 67% of players actively customize their Minecraft experience using the Marketplace
  • Over 1 billion hours have been logged in Minecraft multiplayer
  • Over 201 billion hours of Minecraft YouTube videos were watched in 2020, making it the most-watched topic on YouTube that year

SiSSXJl.jpg

Last edited:

Plantoid

Impressive. It's a fun game, I don't see myself playing it anymore, but it's the best thing ever for kids

reksveks

Not on gamepass for whatever reason..

Posted yesterday

YukiOnna

I mostly watch Hololive or Nijisanji Vtubers play it with their endurance runs and man, people get addicted easily it's no joke. It's not my kind of game, but the depth at what you can do is pretty insane.

Mattyp

Gold Member
Do we have an estimate on how long it took to MS to break even?

The moment they bought it for such a bargain, buying the asset still means the asset is worth $x amount and can be sold off. If you mean doubled their investment I think it was 3 years, and I can only imagine the income it generates now absolute deal of the lifetime for gaming.

Great Hair

Banned
  • There were over 141 million monthly active users in Aug. 2021
  • Over $350 million in revenue has been generated by creators in the Minecraft Marketplace so far
That´s like $2.48 per monthly user!

Even though Roblox has been available for over a decade, it has only started entering the mainstream in the last few years. It has seen its monthly active users increase from 35 to 150 million in three years, with 50 million of those added during the coronavirus pandemic.

That has saw its valuation increase dramatically, from $2.5 billion in 2018 to almost $38 billion when it debuted on the New York stock exchange in 2021. The developers will be hoping to continue its ascent post-COVID.

• Roblox generated $920 million revenue in 2020, a 111 percent increase year-on-year
  • Over 150 million people play Roblox once a month, and 33.4 million use it daily
  • Roblox paid $250 million to developers in 2020 as part of its Developer Exchange program
  • User spending peaked on Roblox in Q2 2020, with $319 million spent
  • Hours engaged: 8,600 million to 9,000 million hours, representing year-over-year growth of 76% to 85%.

Melissa Mccarthy Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

The moment they bought it for such a bargain, buying the asset still means the asset is worth $x amount and can be sold off. If you mean doubled their investment I think it was 3 years, and I can only imagine the income it generates now absolute deal of the lifetime for gaming.
I remember when I thought that Notch made off like a bandit because who the fuck pays 2 billion for a single game. Now, Minecraft as an asset is probably worth ten times that. What a great deal for Microsoft.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
All that money and the game still feels like it has a 10 man dev team. I adore MC, but it’s time for a facelift, and improved UI, and to not control like shit.

Last edited:

reksveks

MS probably has some work to get as much creators making 'games' but it's still a great base. I do wonder if it will ever go F2P.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
When MS bought Minecraft, it was at 15 million copies sold. Now at 238 million. Insane.

I dont follow the creative community or MC, but I didn't know at the time what big momentum it had back then. I thought it would be a typical game and slowly fizzle out into nothing, where paying $2.5 billion(!) would hade been the biggest waste of money ever.

Buy since then they've sold 223 million more copies + all the mtx revenue. And it till seems to be going and going.

twilo99

This was more about exposure/growth for the xbox ecosystem than making money on the actual sale..

Mattyp

Gold Member
This was more about exposure/growth for the xbox ecosystem than making money on the actual sale..

I think it’s more of just a lifetime asset, it for basic terms is Lego for PC. Like Lego something that never ages and always has new kids every year to play it phenomenons like that just don’t come up for sale, I’m surprised they don’t use it more to push xbox to be honest but.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
I mostly watch Hololive or Nijisanji Vtubers play it with their endurance runs and man, people get addicted easily it's no joke. It's not my kind of game, but the depth at what you can do is pretty insane.
Hololive streamers play Minecraft so much that at this point I won't doubt if someone told me Hololive is sponsored by Minecraft.

Top Bottom