• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft for Xbox Series has been rated in Germany (USK)

Wasn't there some controversial stuff about Minecraft from the FTC hearing? I mean besides that Phil Spencer wanted to make it Xbox console exclusive but Notch cockblocked him on that?

Something like there not being a native PS5 version or something, so I'm asking...is there going to be a native PS5 version for Minecraft too?

Wasn't there some controversial stuff about Minecraft from the FTC hearing? I mean besides that Phil Spencer wanted to make it Xbox console exclusive but Notch cockblocked him on that?

Something like there not being a native PS5 version or something, so I'm asking...is there going to be a native PS5 version for Minecraft too?
I would think so.
There was a ton of rumours like that there was a 10 year deal with Notch that it would stay on PlayStation as well.
There was even talk that the reason that there was no XSXS upgrade was that they had to have parity with PS, and Sony wouldn't give then their dev kits so they couldn't do a version for XSX either.

I find it difficult to believe that after saying all this time that they won't take COD away, just like they didn't with Minecraft, that they then take Minecraft away.

However, who know just how bad the relationship with Sony and Microsoft is after the ABK shit.
Phil might finally have decided to do what Sony would do.

I would think so.
There was a ton of rumours like that there was a 10 year deal with Notch that it would stay on PlayStation as well.
There was even talk that the reason that there was no XSXS upgrade was that they had to have parity with PS, and Sony wouldn't give then their dev kits so they couldn't do a version for XSX either.

Is the Minecraft thing actually a 10-year deal? I always thought that was in perpetuity, and insisted by Notch/Mojang in order to have the deal go through? Also assuming this would extend to Nintendo platforms.

I can understand Sony not giving Mojang dev kits for PS5; they're a 1P Microsoft dev now, but Microsoft are also incidentally a main platform rival for Sony & PlayStation in the console market. It'd be analogous to giving a direct competitor the inside scoop on your plans so they can reverse-engineer them and work with privileged information, why you don't get the same back in return.

That's just deliberately handicapping yourself as a competitor, so why do it?

I find it difficult to believe that after saying all this time that they won't take COD away, just like they didn't with Minecraft, that they then take Minecraft away.

Guess it depends. They could always do a "Minecraft 2" and make that console-exclusive to Xbox (or just exclude PlayStation), or keep the spinoffs off PlayStation platforms.

However, who know just how bad the relationship with Sony and Microsoft is after the ABK shit.
Phil might finally have decided to do what Sony would do.

I don't know if Sony would actually take Minecraft off Xbox platforms if they bought Mojang, though. With Bungie, they were upfront and said they would remain multiplat, and they've even announced a new game (Marathon) being multiplat. They also have a history of keeping Psygnosis multiplat after acquiring them, for a few years in fact. Even new IP like Wipeout got Saturn & N64 ports.

We haven't seen anything even remotely like that with Microsoft yet WRT PlayStation & Nintendo platforms, getting new releases (new IP) to them from Zenimax (or any of the studios purchased in 2018) that weren't already in development or had deals prior to Microsoft buying them.

Robb

Gold Member
Didn’t even know there was no native version. Very strange that it’d take this long for a native version of their biggest first party game.

Harlock

Mojang is the most lazy dev in the entire game industry. Fucking joke Minecraft updates pacing and the lacking of a new generation version until now.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Thinking about this, what would the update even include? We're not getting RTX and Minecraft already runs okay on the X consoles..

I dont get it.

Top Bottom