• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT3| Dig Your Way to Fortune! Build Your Way to Glory!

kennah

I’ve got a freenas i7 with a bunch of idle cores running 24/7 and 150 mb up and down connection. It would cost me literally nothing extra to host the server. Does the server is need to be windows 10 or is there going to be a Linux based server client.

Edit looks like console users wouldn’t be able to connect.

dafortune

I'm guessing there's no way to run the windows 10 version on Windows 7. I'll probably have to wait until the better together update to play on Switch with you guys...

Crispy75

I’ve got a freenas i7 with a bunch of idle cores running 24/7 and 150 mb up and down connection. It would cost me literally nothing extra to host the server. Does the server is need to be windows 10 or is there going to be a Linux based server client.

Edit looks like console users wouldn’t be able to connect.
Pocketmine is written in PHP so you can install it on Linux

-Minsc-

My "hopes" for any new server would be no Creeper damage to the environment and there must be /tp functions. Not being able to get back to spawn quickly really limits interactions, especially when spawn looks so damn good when all is said and done.

There is the TARDIS network which uses commands blocks and a hub. Though I suppose it's not advertised very well. Is it wise to give everyone access to command blocks? As in, can command blocks issue admin commands one would not want a normal user to have?

Crispy75

There is the TARDIS network which uses commands blocks and a hub. Though I suppose it's not advertised very well. Is it wise to give everyone access to command blocks? As in, can command blocks issue admin commands one would not want a normal user to have?

With Pocketmine, all this sort of thing can be handled with plugins, of which there are hundreds. Warping etc. can be handled via chat commands.

-Minsc-

With Pocketmine, all this sort of thing can be handled with plugins, of which there are hundreds. Warping etc. can be handled via chat commands.
Ahh, neat. I presume this will be ported to the unified version when all is said and done instead of just pocket.

Crispy75

Ahh, neat. I presume this will be ported to the unified version when all is said and done instead of just pocket.
It already supports win10, which is basically a Pocket edition port. The other platforms are being modified to suit the PE protocol so it *should* be a simple matter for the Pocketmine people to support themall. Too

Sarcasm

Pc broke so I am playing the windows 10 version on a netbook. Runs awesome.

Found a woodland mansion so I am setting my base near it.

What early automation can be done? What other automations can you recommend? I really haven't played non modded minecraft for awhile and solo for that matter.

Ranger X

Pc broke so I am playing the windows 10 version on a netbook. Runs awesome.

Found a woodland mansion so I am setting my base near it.

What early automation can be done? What other automations can you recommend? I really haven't played non modded minecraft for awhile and solo for that matter.

At first I'd take care of food. The easier and quickest ways is to have some field and grow grass so you can make bread ASAP. After that I'd go get cows since they give alot of meat.

UltraJay

With people talking about how great the Win10 version is, but I don't think I can leave modded Minecraft with progression and quests.

Fuchsdh

How many ghast tears are recommended to harvest? I know 1 for the enders crystal, but what else? Potions?

Yeah, you use them for Regeneration potions.

Really if you don't care about distance traveling or the rest of the late game you can avoid the nether entirely, but you can't do any brewing as a result.

Any way to automate this?
Crops can't be placed automatically and animals can't be fed automatically so there is no way to fully automate either, but you can speed them up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGDQ_mPhC2c
This device requires a lot of bonemeal, so you might need a skeleton farm to make most use of it, but it will give you lots of crops regardless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKoYYUgc0kY
Here's an auto-killing cow farm. However, with entity cramming limit at it's default (24 I think) you are probably better off just keeping a massive pen with cows. Feed them wheat so they breed and then kill some for their meat. The babies grow to adult in like 5min so there is no way you are going to use all your steak before then.

So it's been a while since I played, and even longer since I was on the GAF server. Now that I have a Surface pro I decided to use my Windows 10 license and install it on the thing. I haven't kept up so I know there are a lot of changes waiting for me which is exciting but the best part was playing with GAF. Is there still a server and can the windows 10 version connect to that? I still have the Java version installed on my desktop but I am never on that anymore and I haven't updated that since I put cats all over NihonTiger's fortress.

Fuchsdh

So it's been a while since I played, and even longer since I was on the GAF server. Now that I have a Surface pro I decided to use my Windows 10 license and install it on the thing. I haven't kept up so I know there are a lot of changes waiting for me which is exciting but the best part was playing with GAF. Is there still a server and can the windows 10 version connect to that? I still have the Java version installed on my desktop but I am never on that anymore and I haven't updated that since I put cats all over NihonTiger's fortress.

There's a Neogaf server for the Java version. It sounds like when the Better Together update ships we'll transition to a Minecraft server for cross play.

ChuyMasta

Yeah, you use them for Regeneration potions.

Really if you don't care about distance traveling or the rest of the late game you can avoid the nether entirely, but you can't do any brewing as a result.

I'll do some reading about distance traveling since I just found out how big the map in the switch version is (approx 3000 X 3000) and I spotted a mansion and some underwater temples which are just too far from my main base.

ChuyMasta

Minecarts!

I got some. My main base in pretty much dead center of the entire world:

X: 20, Y:, 50, Z: -20

My map #0 goes, X:-500 to X 500. Z: -500 to Z:500

I have mine carts pointing to the edge of the four cardinal directions. My train station is like 20 meters east of my main base.

So I have four "train stations" with functioning power stone/gold-railroads at the edge of my map zero:

X: 0. Z:500: North station
X: -500 Z: 0 West station
X: 0 Z: -500 South Station
X: 500, Z: 0 East station.

Getting to the edge of my map zero is easy. The problem is I don't have enough resources to expand all my minecarts to all the edges of the "world"

So I might consider Nether Portals :)

Sarcasm

I got some. My main base in pretty much dead center of the entire world:

X: 20, Y:, 50, Z: -20

My map #0 goes, X:-500 to X 500. Z: -500 to Z:500

I have mine carts pointing to the edge of the four cardinal directions. My train station is like 20 meters east of my main base.

So I have four "train stations" with functioning power stone/gold-railroads at the edge of my map zero:

X: 0. Z:500: North station
X: -500 Z: 0 West station
X: 0 Z: -500 South Station
X: 500, Z: 0 East station.

Getting to the edge of my map zero is easy. The problem is I don't have enough resources to expand all my minecarts to all the edges of the "world"

So I might consider Nether Portals :)

That too. You still would use the carts though =p. Mine more too! XD

There's a Neogaf server for the Java version. It sounds like when the Better Together update ships we'll transition to a Minecraft server for cross play.

Good to know. Perhaps I'll just wait until then to rejoin you all since I am sure I've been taken off of the whitelist for the server on Java too.

Holkin

Does anyone know what happened to wither skeleton grinder?
There was nether fortress flattened out, but now it's covered with slabs. Probably on purpose.

dafortune

Does anyone know what happened to wither skeleton grinder?
There was nether fortress flattened out, but now it's covered with slabs. Probably on purpose.

If youre talking about the fortress near the purple line I turned it into a semi auto farm like this one:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1e4OH5AiHfY

It works pretty good now, would be better if all the surrounding areas were slabbed off but I haven't had time to play lately.

Holkin

I can't get it. According to mentioned tutorial we should have area where we can attract spawned skeletons. And area for spawning skeletons is pretty large. All I found in fortress was some tower with pistons, which has proved to not work at all, and it probably should by design.
And I doubt tutorial is based on real theory. As far as I know skeletons are spawned only in generated structures. It is about 4 layers 25x25 for intersection with lava pool. Video suggests that have spawnable area anywhere in bounds of fortress, which are pretty large, but I've never seen any wither skeleton spawned outside the fortress itself.

dafortune

They used to only spawn on generated structures, now they spawn on nether brick anywhere within a fortresses bounding box. That farm works, I built it. The one you're talking about was abandoned by someone long ago and doesn't seem to work. The one I built is not far from there though. I'll log in later to give you better directions.

dafortune

Ok Holkin to get to the wither skeleton farm I built make your way to this tunnel (its pretty close to the non working farm you found)

294R3nW.png

If you look in the opposite direction from this image you can see the farm and some of the slab work I did but the quickest way to get there is to take this tunnel and take the second path that branches from it on the right (the one without a sign) should be pretty self explanatory form there.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
the Better Together update is now live.

Wow, really? My W10 version isn't updating to the new version, it's still 1.15.

EDIT: Ah, seems like accounts will be upgrading over the next 48 hours, so not everyone at once. Ah well.

Whelp, guess I've got to start planning an update to Win10. It's been probably over 5 years since I did any sort of OS reinstall. All the files I saved from the last time I did it are still just dumped in a folder without much organization.

Fuchsdh

It's cross-platform but we'd need to buy a Realms to make sure it worked for everyone, rather than using one of the third-party PE-compatible server setups or rolling our own.

Fuchsdh

Crosspost from the Minecraft BT thread: I've got credit on my MS account and 30 day free trial for Realms as well, so I might as well make one and see how it works out for people. If you have opinions on seeds and such, let me know, and I'll post a link to the realm once it's live.

dafortune

Tried to join that server using the mobile version but it's says invalid ip. Am I doing something wrong? Does the server name matter? What port should I use?

kennah

Are you trying to join the neocraft server in the op or the realms one that just got posted couple posts ago? The one in the op wouldn't work on mobile.

Top Bottom