• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mirosoft renews TFLO patent

u_neek

According to GameFront.de Microsoft has renewed the True Fantasy Live Online patent in the US. Now this is hot news...

---------

Microsoft erneuert True Fantasy Live Online-Markenschutz

07.07.05 - Microsoft hat den Markenschutz für das Xbox-Online-Rollenspiel True Fantasy Live Online am 05.07.05 beim amerikanischen Patentamt aktualisiert. Offiziell hat Level 5 die Arbeiten bereits vor etlichen Monaten eingestellt und von einer Auslieferung auf der Xbox abgesehen.

Der jetzige Markenschutzeintrag könnte ein Hinweis darauf sein, dass True Fantasy Live Online vielleicht doch noch (für die Xbox 360?) erscheint - eine offizielle Bestätigung bzw. Ankündigung gibt es hierüber aber nicht.

PhatSaqs

Banned
shocked.jpg

FiRez

still amaze me how they cancelled this....I even heard stories of japanese gamers sending their xbox back to MS in a bulk after the cancellation announcement.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
FiRez said:
still amaze me how they cancelled this....I even heard stories of japanese gamers wanting to send their xbox back to MS in a bulk

it doesn't surprise me... it was taking to long and the Xbox was nearing its end. Why release an MMORPG that late in a console's lifetime? The best decision would be to push it onto the Xbox 360 for an '06 release so, if it does well, it can rake in monthly fees for the life of the system.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
mmorpgBox 360.

Seriously, Xbox 360 is going to kill millions of Asian people if this slew of MMORPGs actually makes it to release.

FiRez said:
still amaze me how they cancelled this....I even heard stories of japanese gamers wanting to send their xbox back to MS in a bulk

"In a bulk" might be an overstatement for Xbox in Japan :D

But seriously, IMO, this is big for Microsoft as I think Level 5 is an excellent developer and would show that the two's relationship is not as strained as some feared.

sangreal

Been suspecting this for awhile now as it didn't make any sense for MS to cancel it (or to release it on xbox1)

FiRez

open_mouth_ said:
it doesn't surprise me... it was taking to long and the Xbox was nearing its end. Why release an MMORPG that late in a console's lifetime? The best decision would be to push it onto the Xbox 360 for an '06 release so, if it does well, it can rake in monthly fees for the life of the system.

yes, that makes sense too, but I was thinking how this game was the last xbox flagship title over there and according to the reports the only reason that some japanese gamers got one, at least they could make some instanced RPG like PSO and ditch the MMO part.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
well, nothing's confirmed, but if MS could get all of these for the 360, it would indeed be a MMO-Box:

FFXI
New Square MMORPG
TFLO
Phantasy Star Universe
Huxley
WOW
Vanguard
Marvel MMORPG
APB

on a related note, does anyone think Microsoft might ressurrect other "dead" Xbox games like B.C. or Unseen?

sangreal

open_mouth_ said:
well, nothing's confirmed, but if MS could get all of these for the 360, it would indeed be a MMO-Box:

FFXI
New Square MMORPG
TFLO
Phantasy Star Universe
Huxley
WOW
Vanguard
Marvel MMORPG

+APB

sangreal

SKOPE said:
Renewing a patent?
Trademark

PhatSaqs said:
They could have updated the mark in case someone else (Sony?) tries to use the name as well....

Yes, it doesn't mean that TFLO is still coming, but its just more evidence on top of existing evidence that this is the case

novery

FiRez said:
still amaze me how they cancelled this....I even heard stories of japanese gamers sending their xbox back to MS in a bulk after the cancellation announcement.

Guy LeDouche said:
both of them?

Oh Gaming-Age, you so crazy!

The real story is that the webmaster of the top TFLO fansite in Japan suggested TFLO fans send their Xboxes back to Microsoft.

sangreal

Looking at the USPTO website it looks like the original trademark is just now finishing approval/publication, thats all.

2005-07-05 - Published for opposition

2005-06-15 - Notice of publication

2005-03-29 - Law Office Publication Review Completed

2005-03-29 - Assigned To LIE

2005-03-15 - Approved for Pub - Principal Register (Initial exam)

2005-03-12 - Case file assigned to examining attorney

2004-08-19 - New Application Entered In Tram

I could be reading it wrong though

IC 028. US 022 023 038 050. G & S: toys and games, namely, action figures and accessories therefor; balloons; bathtub toys; toy building blocks; dolls and accessories therefor; doll clothing; board games; card games; play cosmetics for children; costume masks; miniature die cast vehicles; toy airplanes and helicopters; battery operated remote controlled toy vehicles; flying discs; inflatable vinyl figures; jigsaw puzzles; kites; marbles; indoor slumber and play tents; plush toys; hand-held puppets; sit-in and ride-on toy vehicles; train sets; play shaving kits; skateboards; roller skates; toy banks; water squirting toys; toy pistols; Christmas tree ornaments; pinball and arcade game machines; hand-held units for playing electronic games; model craft kits of toy figures; playground balls; sport balls; basketballs; golf balls; golf ball markers; tennis balls; baseballs; rubber action balls; rubber sports balls; rubber playing balls; squeezable balls used to relieve stress; bags for carrying golf equipment; bags for carrying basketball equipment; bags for carrying baseball equipment; bags for carrying tennis equipment; manipulative puzzles and construction toys; crib mobiles; mobiles for children; target sets consisting of a target, rubber suction darts and toy dart gun; playing cards

wtf?

KingJ2002

Microsoft renews True Fantasy Live on-line trademark protection

July 5th, 2005 - Microsoft updated the trademark protection for the Xbox MMORPG True Fantasy Live Online on July 5th, 2005 with the American patent office.

Officially level 5 already stopped the work some months ago and from distribution to the Xbox refrained. The current trademark protection entry could be a reference to the fact that True Fantasy Live Online perhaps nevertheless still (for the Xbox 360?) appears - an official confirmation and/or announcement does not give it concerning this however.

Loose babelfish translation... i tried to clean it up as much as I can

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
"The real story is that the webmaster of the top TFLO fansite in Japan suggested TFLO fans send their Xboxes back to Microsoft."

that's insane.

... has he not seen how much UPS charge to shift those beasts in japan! ;)

sangreal

I still don't think this trademark is new, but it just makes way too much sense for Microsoft to release this on 360 (way more sense than it would've made releasing it at the end of the xbox's life cycle).

Combine that with Level5 saying in January that it may be out on another platform within a year and I'd say its more or less certain

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
Kleegamefan said:
TFLO on X360 HAS TO HAPPEN...

Shit, even *I* would pony up for Xbox Live Gold for TFLO360.....

You wouldn't have to, actually. I believe Silver users can just play MMORPG's for the monthly fee without upgrading to Gold.

Top Bottom