• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Missouri State Senator Urged To Resign Over Her ‘Hope’ For Trump’s Assassination

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mathieran

Banned
Yeah definitely not an appropriate thing to say. At the very least she needs to issue a very strong apology. But she should resign.

Mortemis

Banned
Why the fuck anyone would want Trump to become a martyr for all the nazis and white supremacists is beyond me. She should resign.

You may think such things privately to yourself, but it is inappropriate to voice such an opinion even as a private citizen, much less an elected official. I expect better self-control from people in positions of leadership.

Absolutely no good would come from an assassination attempt. Though, I wouldn't mind him having a stroke right in the middle of one of his hate-filled speeches.

Also, I'm reminded of when Trump said that those Second Amendment people should do something about Hillary.

Con_Smith

Banned
President has said worse and people have just shrugged. Hell members of Congress and the Senate dog whistled the death of Obama for various reasons. If we can let them cook, I don't see why she can't stew.

low-G

You want to know where freedom of speech ends, it's right around this spot. Don't go saying we have complete freedom of speech.

You simply can't say: "I want so and so to die" wether it be an individual or an ethnic group, but it can be "I want pedos to die or I want nazis to die or evil space aliens or whatever"

Kusagari

This is the environment Trump cultivated, so I don't really care.

If her voters think she went too far then they can vote her out next year.

Damaniel

Banned
She should resign. As a politician and representative of her state, she should know better.

For the record, I'd never wish for that for Trump. What I really want is to see him perp walked out of the White House, tossed in a cell, found guilty by a jury of his peers, and left to rot in prison.

She was less conciliatory, however, in a conversation with CBS St. Louis.

”There is no way in hell that I'm resigning," she said. ”There are legislators who have cheated on their wives, they have smoked in the Legislature, in the state Capitol. If they have not been asked to resign for those acts, which I do believe that cheating on your wife or your spouse is immoral, I am not resigning for a mistake that I made and that I'm owning up to."

Hmmm.....attempting to place her open advocacy of the assassination of a political leader on the same moral playing field as infidelity and smoking where not permitted..........sounds a lot like what she is enraged at Trump for seemingly doing in the first place. Seems to be digging herself a deeper hole....

Nepenthe

While I personally don't give a damn how Trump is removed from office, hoping openly for his murder is grounds for firing/ resignation /impeachment from anyone saying it. And you can't be indignant about it either.

I mean I wouldn't cry for Trump the man if it happened. In fact, his existence right now seems negative in terms of social and environmental impact. His actions are killing far more worthy humans and other organisms than him. But yeah, assassination would make him a martyr. So better if he fell down the stairs or some such.

However, this was not a very clever thing to say in the context.

Incredibly stupid thing to say, especially as a senator. How dumb do you have to be
Well, she's a State Senator, not a national senator, and yes they are that dumb sometimes. As someone who used to work in the KS legislature (very similar to Missouri's) there are a ton of idiots in state legislatures. Peoole need to pay more attention to state level elections.

fuck resigning. Trump dog whistled that shit during the election, she should resign if he does get assassinated or when he removed from office though. Losing that vote is something we cannot afford right now.

Regardless of how she thinks, there are some things you cannot say out loud, no matter how much you hate someone. I get that she wants Trump out by any means necessary, but this is exactly what we were outraged about when Trump dog whistled for "something to happen to Hillary by those second amendment people."

fuck trump, but that his not ok.

Edit: I'm going to sound like an asshole, but the other issue is don't fucking martyr trump. Mother fucker needs to go down for treason and ensure the trump name is forever tainted.

If Donald had a stroke or heart attack tomorrow I'd be posting Oz/Ding Dong gifs. But a public official entertaining the idea of the POTUS being assassinated is beyond crossing the line. We haven't reached that point yet and I hope we never do as a country.

She needs to go. Immediately.

Edit: And you know what, if she isn't smart enough to recognize the stupidity of her comment then she really should not have her job to begin with.

Madness

Trying to equate the asking for the assassination of the US President and Commander in Chief while being a State Senator to politicians who smoke where not permitted or infidelity is ridiculous. She should resign immediately or be forced out. Whatever Trump is, he is the sitting US President. Don't respect the man, respect the Office of the Presidency.

Steel

Banned
Yeah, that's dumb, he'd become a matyr. Even if he died by choking on a chicken bone his tin foil base would blame the deep state. No, he needs to be impeached and humiliated.

And this senator needs to be fired.

JoeBoy101

People really need to learn to keep things to themselves. She can't be saying this as an elected official. She should resign.

Also, to the goose/gander arguments against resigning, I was under the impression that democrats are supposed to be better than republicans. Just because they don't get held to account doesn't suddenly make it moral or appropriate. Is it unfair? SURE. But life is cold, get a coat. You can't stand on moral principle when you shuffle your's off when its convenient.

tbm24

She's proven that she lacks proper judgement. She needs to go. No one in an elected position should call for a presidents assassination.

Kebiinu

Banned
Don't people get visits from the FBI for posting things like this on twitter?

I post something similar to what she said at least once every other day. Twitter police are kinda trash, lol. As far as her comments, it's good to dream, but the post effects would really fuck up America more than Trump ever could, alive. But if Trump suddenly had a bad accident and was gone tomorrow, I'd very likely host a party to celebrate.

Can't stand the man.

Madness

He said Clinton should be assassinated. He became president. Why should she resign.

You're right. Because he said it, it means everyone should say it without recourse going forward. Especially sitting state senators right? Don't let your hatred and distrust of the man impede what you know to be right and wrong. Also, him being a candidate and hinting the same for his fellow candidate is not the same as a currently elected politician opnely asking for it from the Commander in Chief. Hillary held no office at that time, neither did Trump. There is no nuance here, he said, she said. She openly stated/wished for it and is using some false equivalency to smoking where prohibited and adultery to try and get off scot free.

Hard for me to say she should go. I hope he dies too. It's a dark thought but it's one I have and I think him not being here would save lives.

Surfinn

Hard for me to say she should go. I hope he dies too. It's a dark thought but it's one I have and I think him not being here would save lives.

I don't hope he dies.. I hope he's brought to justice and has to suffer for the crimes he's committed. And that his supporters have to live with that reality

traveler

Not Wario
If we're deciding Trump's vote, I hope he wakes up in an unknown neighborhood as a black man one morning, and no one but him has any recollection of who he was before. He gets to make a new life; one he actually has to earn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom