• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MiSTer FPGA and the WIP Sega Saturn core. It feels in spots like a real Saturn

VGEsoterica

I know that the Saturn was third place in a three console race back in the day, but that doesn't stop me from absolutely loving it and thinking it has an absolutely amazing library of games you've both heard of and never knew existed. But I get tons of people have never played a Saturn before and collecting for Saturn is more expensive today than it ever has been. Stupid retro gaming bubble.

BUT...with the popularity of MiSTer FPGA it seems like more people are going to discover the Sega Saturn and a solid handful of games are just working near 1:1 against original hardware currently. Which is amazing considering the FPGA core for Saturn is still in development. But part of getting in on the fun is testing to see what is currently working.

I am curious GAF...who had a Saturn back in the day and who actively still plays/collects for Saturn. I had to get a Saturn for The House of the Dead as a kid and I have been playing Saturn / collecting for it ever since.

And if anyone has any requests for future testing videos LMK. I am always all ears

Kuranghi

I love that graffiti in the background saying "FUK YOU" lol

I'd say you can reliably use whether or not people like House of the Dead as a baseline for whether they're a good & decent person or not, like if they have distain or even abject hate for it then just leave them to their strange worries and never speak to them again.

VGEsoterica

I love that graffiti in the background saying "FUK YOU" lol

I'd say you can reliably use whether or not people like House of the Dead as a baseline for whether they're a good & decent person or not, like if they have distain or even abject hate for it then just leave them to their strange worries and never speak to them again.
Who wouldn’t like House of the Dead. It’s one of the greatest and most successful arcade games of all time

fart town usa

Gold Member
I had a Saturn back in the day, probably got it in 1997.

Funny enough, my older brother and I went N64 then Saturn, then finally PSX. PSX might as well have been 3DO to me as a kid when it first released. The few games I played looked like shit and I hated the controller. I was a die hard Nintendo kid and we got the Saturn out of curiosity. Both of us had paper routes and we'd pool our money together and buy whatever we could.

Traded the first Saturn in at some point and bought a 2nd in 2009 cause I got really nostalgic for Albert Odyssey and was dying to try the RE port. Tried legit collecting for a bit but I realized that I don't like collecting cause I buy stuff that I don't even want. Sold the vast majority of it and these days I get the occasional Japanese release but as I've mentioned in other threads recently, I got a Satiator last week and I am in absolute heaven. The Saturn has always been a dime for me but having access to all the hard to find games and playing them on actual hardware, it's so fucking sick. The Saturn truly was a luxury console back then but NA missed out on so many great titles. I might as well toss my PS5 cause it doesn't interest me in the slightest right now, lol.

Love your videos dude, easily one of the best obscure gaming channels on YouTube.

fart town usa

Gold Member
VGEsoterica VGEsoterica , have you tried Layer Section/Galactic Attack out on the mister?

For whatever reason, I was clueless about that game until the other day. I'm so hooked on it, quite possibly the most fun I've ever had with a shmup. The challenge is perfect and the OST is phenomenal. I'm sure you're a big fan, you seem like a master of those old games.

VGEsoterica

VGEsoterica VGEsoterica , have you tried Layer Section/Galactic Attack out on the mister?

For whatever reason, I was clueless about that game until the other day. I'm so hooked on it, quite possibly the most fun I've ever had with a shmup. The challenge is perfect and the OST is phenomenal. I'm sure you're a big fan, you seem like a master of those old games.

I have. It works ok. But the game is legit. I have a copy on Saturn on my shelf

Top Bottom