• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MiSTer FPGA Oct News; PS1, Sega Saturn, Arcade and Capcom CPS 3...one HOT month for FPGA

VGEsoterica

For all the MiSTer owners on GAF, and all the people I try to convince to buy a MiSTer (Big MiSTer should really send me a check lol) maybe this will help lol

PS1 got awesome new features; bilinear texture filtering, 24bit color mode (amazing in Silent Hill) and a "turbo OC" mode to speed up some games that chug on OG hardware

Saturn got ANOTHER update and its starting to feel in spots like real hardware

CPS 3 is in the works for MiSTer, which will be awesome because CPS 3 OG hardware is expensive AF. I should know...isn't cheap lol

OutRun should be on MiSTer Soon...and tons more

Again...headcount GAF...who owns a MiSTer and who is gonna pick one up?

VGEsoterica

Will do for sure thanks. Will I be able to use the Satiator with it?
No need. MiSTer is an FPGA recreation of hardware. So you can "load" anything onto it that's been made. When Saturn is done you will select it from a menu, the FPGA will on the fly reprogram the logic gates (in seconds) and then it functions as a Saturn, region free, with an ODE like the Satiator, with crystal clear HDMI or RGB Analog out.

Get bored playing Saturn? Go load up a PS1 core. Or PC Engine core. Or Neo Geo core. Or Sega Genesis / Sega CD core...this list goes on forever

alienator

The bilinear texture filtering in the psx core is simply amazing, combined with the right scanlines, it almost makes it a sharp N64 image without the excessive blur from the n64.
Hope they implant this in the saturn core aswell..

Its a damn shame the CPS3 won the poll over the PGM system, the cps3 has like 6 games and while i welcome Jojo and SF3, the PGM has TONS of great games like Ketsui and Espgaluda :/ that will be a hard wait for me (sure i can play them on my 360, but still.. )

So glad this exists for 10 years from now when my original hardware and CRTs are dead. I just hope they have an adaptor for the power outlets they use on Mars.

PS1 got awesome new features; bilinear texture filtering,
I Could Vomit Just Looking At You Golden Girls GIF

Well I at least appreciate the Golden Girls gif
I just think Nintendo 64/Voodoo 1 bilinear filtering is perhaps the ugliest graphics technique there is, worse than even chromatic aberration cranked to 11. Especially considering many PSX games have excellent pixel art textures and they would be obliterated with bilinear filtering.

VGEsoterica

I just think Nintendo 64/Voodoo 1 bilinear filtering is perhaps the ugliest graphics technique there is, worse than even chromatic aberration cranked to 11. Especially considering many PSX games have excellent pixel art textures and they would be obliterated with bilinear filtering.
The good thing is that it is an option. If you like it on a certain game…awesome. But no requirement to use it

VGEsoterica

The bilinear texture filtering in the psx core is simply amazing, combined with the right scanlines, it almost makes it a sharp N64 image without the excessive blur from the n64.
Hope they implant this in the saturn core aswell..

Its a damn shame the CPS3 won the poll over the PGM system, the cps3 has like 6 games and while i welcome Jojo and SF3, the PGM has TONS of great games like Ketsui and Espgaluda :/ that will be a hard wait for me (sure i can play them on my 360, but still.. )
I do enjoy CPS 3 and from a technical perspective it will be nice to have an FPGA solution vs a multi board that is nearing the 2K expense mark these days.

But from a library standpoint...PGM is where its at

Lasha

And it goes in the cartridge slot?
And I canjust take the kit and put it on my PS1?

All games and cores are run from internal storage on mister. I'm sure you could wire up an expansion that reads from cartridges instead of the SSD. Zero benefit though.

Kokoloko85

Satiator and de 10 nano are the same price, just saying.
Hmmm interesting, depending on how good emulation is I might just try and fit it into another Empty Saturn lol. I just don’t know a way to connect my pads, arcade stick, multi tap etc. Might have to give that up.
Currenty have wiress pads on my saturn and modded, just having gpu issues

SScorpio

Hmmm interesting, depending on how good emulation is I might just try and fit it into another Empty Saturn lol. I just don’t know a way to connect my pads, arcade stick, multi tap etc. Might have to give that up.
Currenty have wiress pads on my saturn and modded, just having gpu issues
There aren't daemonbite adapters for Saturn that I'm aware of, but something like this should be all you need. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0089O10BC/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Just know that the MiSTer isn't just a Saturn. It's like a Raspberry Pi running different emulators. So you can run Saturn, PS1, NES, SNES, Genesis(32x/CD), PCE/TGFX(CD), GB/C/A, GameGear, Lynx, NeoGeo, CPS1/2, and many more just by selecting a different system from a menu. You are able to use whatever controller you want, anything that connects via USB or Bluetooth will work and you can customize mappings to whatever you want.

Kokoloko85

There aren't daemonbite adapters for Saturn that I'm aware of, but something like this should be all you need. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0089O10BC/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Just know that the MiSTer isn't just a Saturn. It's like a Raspberry Pi running different emulators. So you can run Saturn, PS1, NES, SNES, Genesis(32x/CD), PCE/TGFX(CD), GB/C/A, GameGear, Lynx, NeoGeo, CPS1/2, and many more just by selecting a different system from a menu. You are able to use whatever controller you want, anything that connects via USB or Bluetooth will work and you can customize mappings to whatever you want.

Thanks man.
Yeah I literally realised earlier today its more like a raspberry pie but suited for games I guess. I use to have a raspberry pie but now I just have the old hardware or mini’s modded to play on big screen and wireless pads, Nes/Snes/Megadrive/PS1/3DS/Vita. But Saturn and the rest i haven’t so might get one of these as an all in one and maybe for the Saturn

SScorpio

Thanks man.
Yeah I literally realised earlier today its more like a raspberry pie but suited for games I guess. I use to have a raspberry pie but now I just have the old hardware or mini’s modded to play on big screen and wireless pads, Nes/Snes/Megadrive/PS1/3DS/Vita. But Saturn and the rest i haven’t so might get one of these as an all in one and maybe for the Saturn
I recommend giving these two posts from the main MiSTer thread a read if you are interested in how the FPGA is different from just using a PC or Pi.

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/mist...ld-just-buy-one.1639806/page-3#post-266541576

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/mist...ld-just-buy-one.1639806/page-4#post-266546236

All games and cores are run from internal storage on mister. I'm sure you could wire up an expansion that reads from cartridges instead of the SSD. Zero benefit though.

Unless you're totally insistent on running from actual copies.

(Of course practically every clone console out there dumps the rom data from whatever cart you have. If that legality is worth the peace of mind - and that's totally valid! - go for it.)

By the way I'm totally impressed they hit CPS3. Everything at this point is gravy.

ST-V should be possible, right?

SScorpio

I don't know the specifics well enough, but if it really is just a Saturn that uses a cartridge rather than CD-ROM. Then it might be possible. Though having a CD-ROM doesn't require having the game loaded into memory. I know memory bandwidth resources are tight with Saturn, so maybe that will be an issue.

Lasha

Unless you're totally insistent on running from actual copies.

(Of course practically every clone console out there dumps the rom data from whatever cart you have. If that legality is worth the peace of mind - and that's totally valid! - go for it.)

By the way I'm totally impressed they hit CPS3. Everything at this point is gravy.

Dump your own roms if you want to be completely legit. Using original media wears out both the game and the console which reduces it's value. Emulation and FPGA are so good now that original hardware is obsolete.

Dump your own roms if you want to be completely legit. Using original media wears out both the game and the console which reduces it's value. Emulation and FPGA are so good now that original hardware is obsolete.W

Of course, for preservation, that's definitely a given.

I don't know the specifics well enough, but if it really is just a Saturn that uses a cartridge rather than CD-ROM. Then it might be possible. Though having a CD-ROM doesn't require having the game loaded into memory. I know memory bandwidth resources are tight with Saturn, so maybe that will be an issue.

The biggest cart sizes were 49 MB (or 392 MEGA POWER!!!) I don't think ROM size should be an issue any more than it is with any other game, unless the Titan board really does have extra bandwidth over the Saturn, which I doubt it does.

Krathoon

I won a MiSTer on eBay. I am getting it in next week. I already found a guide for setting it up. Here it is.

The MiSTer I won was fully loaded. It has the I/O board and usb board. It has the clock and SDRAM. I will have to upgrade the SDRAM to 128MB. I already got the module.
It did not include an SD card, but I already have a 1TB one to put in it.

I will crack it open a take a look before starting it up.

Krathoon

I was playing around with the Mister. I have been using it for Turbografx games. I need a text list that I can print out of the top games to try.

That is is annoying thing. They have these lists of top games, but you can't print out a simple text file with them.

Last edited:

Krathoon

My Turbo Duo broke, but fortunately I had the MiSTer to replace it. Take that, time.

I might as well get an Analogue Duo when it comes out.

Krathoon

I was getting lines in my Mister video. I think something went wrong with the Nano board. Fortunately, I had an extra one to swap in.

I can hobble together another Mister with the bad board so I can see if I can fix it.

Krathoon

This is the case I ordered for the Mister. I ordered an acid green one and a clear one.

Krathoon

I think the problem with the lines on the screen is due to a dirty HDMI port. I ordered some contact cleaner to spray in there.

I noticed that the problem went away when I re-plugged in the HDMI cable. Then, it came back. So, I am pretty sure it is the connection.

Naked Lunch

No lol, I was that dumb. I thought its some new external kit that can work on multiple consoles haha.
I think I will stick to Satiator maybe. I like ressurecting my old consoles
Another option for using real hardware is the Fenrir Duo. Half the cost of the Satiator.
Just remove the Saturn's cd drive and plug in the pin connection. No soldering needed.
I have the Fenrir - works great - has an in game reset (controller button combo) takes you back to the game selection screen - and works with Pro action replay carts.

Saturn emulation is good but its not there yet - if you have the means I would go real deal hardware for the Saturn in particular.

Last edited:

Krathoon

I think I will try the contact cleaner on the Turbo Duo Hu card slot that is not working. Spray it on a Hu card and slide it in.

Krathoon

The scaler chip was damaged on the Mister I got from eBay. Fortunately, I have another one and I bought another DE10 Nano board.

I have been playing with the ao486 core. The 300 games pack for it does not work the best. Some of the games crash.

I am the ao486 may not be that stable.

I tried to get the Black Dahlia to run on it in Win98. It starts but it locks up when you start a new game.

Krathoon

I kind of find it funny how people don't really give two shits about the MiSTer.

It is this niche kind of thing. It is for the really techno people.

Krathoon

I am still waiting on my cases. They should come in this week. I got some clear ones. One is clear and the other is acid green.

The MiSTer I got from eBay was kind of a bust. It turned out the video chip was damaged. I had an extra brand new Nano board. So, that was fine.

I am tempted to raise a claim with eBay, but the problem cropped up after I was using the MiSTer for a while.

Last edited:
Top Bottom