• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MiSTer FPGA September news; Sega Saturn, PS1, Arcade Cores and Pokemon. One hot month

VGEsoterica

Every month I try to cobble together all the cool stuff that happened with MiSTer FPGA considering it's not really a "product" and the information on what is happening is a bit desperate. So why not get it all together in one source so more people can enjoy all the cool new stuff.

Plus I know a decent amount of GAF members own a MiSTer so thats cool!

But PSX got some updates under the hood. Turbo mode and tightened up timings that are now pure 1:1 accurate to OG hardware. Plus it had its first birthday...from idea to working core in 12 months. Wild

Saturn is still being tested and compatibility is pretty solid.

On the shmup side Truxton 2 / Tatsujin Oh is here. Because unless you buy a REALLY EXPENSIVE PCB or own the FM Towns version (like me)...playing on FPGA is the best way to not spend a mortgage payment. Oh and R-Type II as well! Big shmup month :)

Plus the Pokemon Mini core launched and TMNT is on the way. Also Pokemon Mini...and lots more

But GAF....who else is getting on the MiSTer train in 2022? Plenty of fun to be had

manzo

Give it to me straight and raw.

How do I connect a MiSTer to a XRGB Framemeister? I’m getting THIS close in buying one.

I don’t like CRT shaders, rather use my XRGB for the scanlines.

Last edited:

VGEsoterica

How do I connect a MiSTer to a XRGB Framemeister? I’m getting THIS close in buying one.

Analog out from the IO board into your Framemeister. Pretty easy IMO

VGEsoterica

Thanks for posting these. Some of the MiSTer news gets buried on Twitter and the Discord channel.

The phrasing "Jotego is expanding" is funny. Glad to see he has enough supporters to bring on some help.
Haha right? Hobby core makers are expanding into what amounts to real development businesses just for FPGA cores

You can just use the scanlines MiSTer offers. You don't have to use CRT shaders. It seems redundant to use a Framemeister when the scaler in the MiSTer is pretty versatile and can go up to 1440p.

manzo

You can just use the scanlines MiSTer offers. You don't have to use CRT shaders. It seems redundant to use a Framemeister when the scaler in the MiSTer is pretty versatile and can go up to 1440p.

Any comparisons out there for MiSTer’s own vs Framemeister at 720p?

Tarin02543

Still considering getting one for myself. How hard is it to set this thing up?

Download latest Mr Fusion image and Win32 Disk Imager, stick any microsd in your PC and start up the program Win32 Disk Imager and load the Mr Fusion image and hit start.

Plug in an Ethernet cable and the microsd card into your DE10 and run the update script through the menu afterwards (use USB keyboard).

You now have a fully set up Mister FPGA with all the latest cores. All of them usable if you have the 128 MB ram stick upgrade, without the ram upgrade you are limited to the simpler 8/16 bit cores.

Last edited:

SScorpio

You now have a fully set up Mister FPGA with all the latest cores. All of them usable if you have the 128 MB ram stick upgrade, without the ram upgrade you are limited to the simpler 8/16 bit cores.
Most 8/16 bit cores require the memory upgrade.
https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki/Cores-that-use-SDRAM

The game is loaded into the SDRAM which offers lower latency access versus the onboard DDR memory. The GBA, Genesis, and TG16 cores work without SDRAM, but you will experience glitches in some games, so they are a way to see why this decision was made.

If you are starting from scratch the 128MB will let everything work. But if you already have, or are offered a free or almost free 32MB module, then all cores will work but you won't have access to a very small handful of NeoGeo or GBA games. With GBA you can use the onboard DDR for those but again glitches.

Top Bottom