• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MiSTer FPGA vs original PS1 hardware; FPGAzumSpass beat Sony at their own game

VGEsoterica

I swear Sony hates the PS1 because they manage to constantly mangle games from that platform when they release a mini console or ports to modern systems; bad emulation, throwing the 50Hrz PAL version up instead of the NTSC version. It's like someone at Sony just hates the PS1 and wants it and its fans to straight up SUFFER!

but the maker of the PS1 core for MiSTer? He just straight up went and made a BETTER PS1 than Sony did back in the day and made it a HELL OF A LOT BETTER than what Sony currently does with their legacy hardware and games...and for that its damn impressive.

So apparently FPGA can beat OG hardware :)

anyone else on GAF into MiSTer? If not...get into it

shaddam

A few weeks ago I learned about this, I was thinking about buying one (I'm an IT guy who loves to tinker), but the price and availablity was a little high for me. To be honest I think my old dell optiplex mini with batocera is more than enough for my retro gaming, but this is so cool :messenger_grinning_sweat: I wonder if they can reach PS2/Gamecube levels

VGEsoterica

A few weeks ago I learned about this, I was thinking about buying one (I'm an IT guy who loves to tinker), but the price and availablity was a little high for me. To be honest I think my old dell optiplex mini with batocera is more than enough for my retro gaming, but this is so cool :messenger_grinning_sweat: I wonder if they can reach PS2/Gamecube levels
unfortunately no; the logic elements in the FPGA just wont allow for PS2 era stuff to be possible

RoboFu

One of the green rats
A ps mini with retro boot can run PlayStation games in all their native glory with out modding and with out all the stupid “ enhancements “ if you desire.

I'm confused, if MiSTer is running them "better" isn't it no longer emulation?

edit: or replication or whatever the hell the term for hardware emulation is

Last edited:

Ev1L AuRoN

All I want is a 4k output with perspective corrected textures and polygons and near-neighbor textures. I like my PS1 textures crunchy. I don't mind a wide-screen hack if well implemented. I played Vagrant story that way on the DuckStation core on Retroarch, and it was glorious.

replication is a better term. Its 1:1 against PS1 is as good as OG hardware. The improvements implimented in FPGA push it into "better than" territory
Well right, but then its no longer replication, right? Though skimming through the video the "better" seems to mean the video output, which yeah makes sense - if you can have a perfect PSX but with HDMI out that would be "better," though personally I will always go composite lol. Really excited this exists though, I am enjoying playing on the real hardware currently, but 20 years from now that might not be feasible (and it is going to take over 20 years to get through my backlog...).

Also he should have found some games that run demos or long cutscenes to do comparisons, that way he could have compared the two perfectly synced up. Like show me some Bahamut Zero side by side!

VGEsoterica

All I want is a 4k output with perspective corrected textures and polygons and near-neighbor textures. I like my PS1 textures crunchy. I don't mind a wide-screen hack if well implemented. I played Vagrant story that way on the DuckStation core on Retroarch, and it was glorious.
Duckstation!

nkarafo

Everyone was beating Sony and Nintendo in their own game, well before Mister existed. Even something as shitty as a Raspberry Pi with a Retropie setup beats any official effort. Let alone more accurate emulation on PC.

VGEsoterica

Everyone was beating Sony and Nintendo in their own game, well before Mister existed. Even something as shitty as a Raspberry Pi with a Retropie setup beats any official effort. Let alone more accurate emulation on PC.
Sony creates new and inventive ways to fuck up their own stuff lately

SegaShack

I own lots of game systems, RGB Cables, PVM Monitor, but that being said these FPGA systems are absolutely the future for those who want a purist experience.

Old hardware and TVs wont last forever. I'm sure in 5 or 10 years I'll build one of these and the cores will be even better.

VGEsoterica

I own lots of game systems, RGB Cables, PVM Monitor, but that being said these FPGA systems are absolutely the future for those who want a purist experience.

Old hardware and TVs wont last forever. I'm sure in 5 or 10 years I'll build one of these and the cores will be even better.
Yes a LOT more people will own these kinds of devices on 5-10 years no question

VGEsoterica

Well right, but then its no longer replication, right? Though skimming through the video the "better" seems to mean the video output, which yeah makes sense - if you can have a perfect PSX but with HDMI out that would be "better," though personally I will always go composite lol. Really excited this exists though, I am enjoying playing on the real hardware currently, but 20 years from now that might not be feasible (and it is going to take over 20 years to get through my backlog...).

Also he should have found some games that run demos or long cutscenes to do comparisons, that way he could have compared the two perfectly synced up. Like show me some Bahamut Zero side by side!
It’s great because if you just want the 1:1 pure experience you can totally have it but if you want a few extra bells and whistles on top..also options!

Top Bottom