• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miyamoto wants the next 3D Mario game to ‘further expand’ the series

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Odyssey went backwards rather than expand anything IMO. Don't get me wrong, it's a fine game and the cap is a decent mechanic, but it felt far less ambitious than the "anything goes" Galaxy games.

(I also prefer SM3DW over Odyssey. And Bowser's Fury was really cool.)

Last edited:

Javthusiast

Banned
Metaverse

Animated GIF

Bragr

Banned
Completely wrong. I just replayed Sunshine for the first time in nearly 20 years and its still an all time Nintendo classic.
The only 3d platformer better than Sunshine is Mario 64 - theres nothing even remotely close.

Id put Sunshine's surprisingly hardcore no-waterpack levels alone up to any 3d platformer. The windmill level, the Harbor, the sandy beach, and amusement park are all incredible.
I will admit there are some shockingly shitty mid to later levels - that drag it down a bit.

New core Mario games used to be huge events in gaming - but it hasnt been that way in a long time. This Miyamoto comment is great news.
Mario used to be the guiding light of gaming as a whole - if they focus on innovation and hopefully some challenge, maybe it can return one day...
I also played it recently, and it's more than some shitty levels later on, 80% of the game is a fucking mess. Worst 3D platforming levels ever in a major platforming game. The thing that saves it is the Mario charm and setting.

I have a theory that the people who love it are the people who don't play a lot of 3D platformers. They don't know better.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I also played it recently, and it's more than some shitty levels later on, 80% of the game is a fucking mess. Worst 3D platforming levels ever in a major platforming game. The thing that saves it is the Mario charm and setting.

I have a theory that the people who love it are the people who don't play a lot of 3D platformers. They don't know better.

Would you say it's worse than Bubsy 3D?

(I also think Sunshine is by far the worst 3D Mario. I don't think it's a BAD game though. It still controls brilliantly and all that.)

Dr Bass

Completely wrong. I just replayed Sunshine for the first time in nearly 20 years and its still an all time Nintendo classic.
The only 3d platformer better than Sunshine is Mario 64 - theres nothing even remotely close.

Id put Sunshine's surprisingly hardcore no-waterpack levels alone up to any 3d platformer. The windmill level, the Harbor, the sandy beach, and amusement park are all incredible.
I will admit there are some shockingly shitty mid to later levels - that drag it down a bit.

New core Mario games used to be huge events in gaming - but it hasnt been that way in a long time. This Miyamoto comment is great news.
Mario used to be the guiding light of gaming as a whole - if they focus on innovation and hopefully some challenge, maybe it can return one day...
Huh interesting. Sunshine is the only one I can't bring myself to finish. To me, it's just not fun. I think the controls aren't great, the setting is boring (what ARE those citizens supposed to even be?) and the water mechanic is clunky as hell. For me, it's just a complete slog to play.

I never knew it had hardcore fans. :messenger_beaming:

Umbasaborne

Banned
Id like a fully open world 3d mario game. No levels, just exopand on the concepts found in bowsers fury: give me a game thats essentially bowsers fury with the scale of breath of the wild. You can hop in and out of mario’s go kart to get around faster, much like links horses, or the master cycle. Each area would have a big major platforming challenge, like bowsers fury

Bragr

Banned
Would you say it's worse than Bubsy 3D?

(I also think Sunshine is by far the worst 3D Mario. I don't think it's a BAD game though. It still controls brilliantly and all that.)
But Bubsy ain't a major platforming game. I'm talking the big stuff, like Mario, Rayman, Banjo etc...

I think Sunshine is fine, it's definitely not bad. It's just odd how much some like it, considering it's obviously rough as all hell. Guess it's nostalgia.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Why not making a huge Mario game that would be called Super Mario ultimate. It would incorporates all of the genre Mario has been into one game.

There would be platforming, sports, karting, creation mode,party mode and a social space reminding of Miiverse.

One big motherf*cking Mario game, the ultimate experience.

Mario Theft Auto

RCU005

After the release of Super Mario Galaxy in 2007, the goal was to develop a more accessible 3D Super Mario game, and the result was New Super Mario Bros Wii, a basic side-scrolling Super Mario game that even new players could easily play. That later led to the release of the even simpler Super Mario Run game

So going by that logic, what's next? A game that completely plays itself?
I hate the trend of making the games accessible for new players! Why does it have to mean EASY games? Super Mario Bros. on NES was the first Mario experience for everyone and the game wasn't as easy. It didn't even tell you what to do.

Why is it that nowadays, developers think that a game has to be easy to welcome someone? If course many people don't want excruciating difficulty, but they should just keep doing what they do. Super Mario Galaxy is considered the best Mario game. They should follow that, instead of trying to make Mario for babies.

If they want to do a saga called Super Mario Babies that is so simple even a 2 year-old can play, they should! but they shouldn't mess with what's already established and great.

Aldric

So going by that logic, what's next? A game that completely plays itself?
I hate the trend of making the games accessible for new players! Why does it have to mean EASY games? Super Mario Bros. on NES was the first Mario experience for everyone and the game wasn't as easy. It didn't even tell you what to do.

Why is it that nowadays, developers think that a game has to be easy to welcome someone? If course many people don't want excruciating difficulty, but they should just keep doing what they do. Super Mario Galaxy is considered the best Mario game. They should follow that, instead of trying to make Mario for babies.

If they want to do a saga called Super Mario Babies that is so simple even a 2 year-old can play, they should! but they shouldn't mess with what's already established and great.
Mario Galaxy is a much simpler game than the previous 3D Marios and the trend continued with 3D Land and World that kept making core mechanics more streamlined to chase after the 2D Mario audience. Odyssey made Mario's movement deep and satisfying to master again and hopefully they keep expanding on traversal options in the next games while making basic platforming more challenging than in Odyssey.

Umbasaborne

Banned
Huh interesting. Sunshine is the only one I can't bring myself to finish. To me, it's just not fun. I think the controls aren't great, the setting is boring (what ARE those citizens supposed to even be?) and the water mechanic is clunky as hell. For me, it's just a complete slog to play.

I never knew it had hardcore fans. :messenger_beaming:
Yeah. Ive been trying to beat mario sunshine foe the past 19 yrs. Ive 100 percented every other 3d mario game but i always give up on sunshine

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I have a feeling Nintendo going to pull another DS “ third tier “ except with VR .

Shut0wen

Good news i liked how obysessey given you the choice of what moons to collect, some moons were alot harder to get while others were piss easy, the choice was great BUT i hope they do cater to there hardcore fans, especially with new super marios bro wii u, brought this game for the seitch and i was surprised at how hard this game is, ive died alot more in that game then dark souls, same with donkey kong country

I am in the "give me more Bowser's Fury" camp - If they made a full game out of it I would be very happy.

I still haven't gotten to the new part. I started Odyssey, got to the Moon, got MOST of the collectibles, too. Game is fun, it's like Mario 64 on steroids, imo. I need to go back to it.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Odyssey went backwards rather than expand anything IMO. Don't get me wrong, it's a fine game and the cap is a decent mechanic, but it felt far less ambitious than the "anything goes" Galaxy games.

(I also prefer SM3DW over Odyssey. And Bowser's Fury was really cool.)
I really wish they’d sell Bowser’s Fury as a separate game for £19.99 on the store. I really want to play it but I didn’t like 3D Land/World.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I really wish they’d sell Bowser’s Fury as a separate game for £19.99 on the store. I really want to play it but I didn’t like 3D Land/World.

That might be a bit much IMO. It's a cool little experience, but it feels more like a demo of what an open world 3D Mario could be than a full game. It's over in a few hours.

what a stupid thing to say.

of course you want to expand the series. why keep it the same or go backwards?

i'd love Odyssey 2 but whatever. Nintendo gonna Nintendo. give me some new whacky game.

what a stupid thing to say.

of course you want to expand the series. why keep it the same or go backwards?
That's exactly what they did with Galaxy, and 3D World. They limited camera movement in both games to make it easier for people to play.

They're now saying they will confidently go forward again, for the first time since Sunshine.

Notabueno

Banned
That's the most vapid bullshit interview I've ever read of Miyamoto.

Really one of the most shallow things I've read in a long time, if this is going to be the case just STFU and give us Odyssey 2 FFS

Last edited:

V4skunk

Banned

Speaking during a Q&A following the publication of its latest financial results last week, Miyamoto said that the success of Super Mario Odyssey had made it clear that the company was succeeding in its attempt to make 3D Mario games playable by a larger audience.

When asked about the differences between 2D and 3D Mario games, Miyamoto explained that the New Super Mario Bros series was designed to create a Mario game that was accessible to players of all skill levels, because the 3D games weren’t at the time.

“Let me explain by describing the background for the development of the Wii game New Super Mario Bros Wii, which was released in 2009,” Miyamoto said.

“At the time, it felt like each time we created a new instalment in the Super Mario series – which by then had expanded into 3D – it became more complicated.

“After the release of Super Mario Galaxy in 2007, the goal was to develop a more accessible 3D Super Mario game, and the result was New Super Mario Bros Wii, a basic side-scrolling Super Mario game that even new players could easily play. That later led to the release of the even simpler Super Mario Run game (a mobile application released in 2016.)

“When we develop software, we strive to incorporate new elements, but at the same time we want to make it easy for even first-time players to have fun.

“Recently, people of all generations have been enjoying the 3D Mario game Super Mario Odyssey (released in 2017), so for 3D Mario going forward, we want to try expanding further in new ways.”
The basic translation is that the next 3d Mario will probably be open world.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

This specific report comes the way of Zippo, who claims that the latest Mario sports game is being made by Bandai Namco, which is good news if you didn't like the aforementioned Mario Golf Super Rush and Mario Tennis Aces. Unfortunately, Zippo doesn't know what specific sport the game is for. You'd assume it's time for soccer, but it's possible it could be a different sport. If it's more Super Mario Strikers though, Nintendo GameCube junkies are going to be over the moon.

Building upon this, or at least possibly building upon this, is Leaky Pandy, who claims a new Mario game will be revealed this year. This is the extent of specification, meaning this game could be the aforementioned Super Mario Odyssey 2 and it could also be referring to a new Mario sports game.

PanzerAzel

It’s fairly amusing that what I was taught way back in beginning mathematics holds accurate in the effort to appeal to a broader, mass market.

The LCD.

One thing i would like to see in my lifetime
is a 2d open mario metroidvania, with castles, powers, ect.

Last edited:
Odyssey was far too easy. It kinda ruined the experience for me. I get that these games need to be “accessible” but there is a line to walk and I felt that Odyssey crossed way over that line.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I'd very much like a heavily stylized incarnation of SMB 123 combined. Some semi celestial shaded/Yoshi's Island freak baby or whatever. In any case to go back at mario art roots:

G9YZ9H6.jpg

Still recovering from DKCity brrr *shivers*

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
You don't need to constantly fucking reinvent the formula with every 3d Mario you just need to make good games. This is something Nintendo really fails to realize and it's why franchises that would be 10 million selling blockbusters like f zero are dead in the water. I want more iterative games like 3d world or galaxy 2, games that exist to perfect what's already there.

Rodolink

nothing new, they have always said Mario games pushes ffwd with some or another innovation. but cool wondering what the next one proposes

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
You don't need to constantly fucking reinvent the formula with every 3d Mario you just need to make good games. This is something Nintendo really fails to realize and it's why franchises that would be 10 million selling blockbusters like f zero are dead in the water. I want more iterative games like 3d world or galaxy 2, games that exist to perfect what's already there.

You bumped a thread from January to state the obvious.

Mario Odyssey came out in 2017, that's 5 yrs theyve had to be working on another Mario title. Mario 3D World and the Bowser add on for Switch were cool, but not really a new game in the series. I do think whatever is next will be a lot like Bowser's Fury in that it will have areas with many mini tasks/objectives within it.

Top Bottom