• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mizzurna Falls; AKA "Twin Peaks: The Game"...and other "wholly inspired by" games

VGEsoterica

There are video games that are lightly inspired by novels and films...and there are video games that basically wear their inspiration on their sleeve as unofficial games that could have easily been OFFICIAL video games for that book / tv show / film.

Mizzurna Falls is just Twin Peaks: The Video Game...in all the best ways possible. All the weirdness, mystery and intrigue from Twin Peaks is wholly translated over to Mizzurna Falls. Sure some of the characters names have been changed and the story has been tweaked like 5%, but if you have even casually watched Twin Peaks you will realize that Mizzurna Falls is the entire plot line of that show encapsulated in a PS1 era survival horror adventure game.

and it's in English now too! So everyone can get in on the weird Twin Peaks vibes this game is putting out! Because if you are even a casual fan of Twin Peaks or PS1 era survival horror games and HAVEN'T played this game yet...do it...like after reading me say "do it" lolol

oh and for the theming...I want to hear others gaming suggestions for games that just basically whole cloth "borrowed" a different property and made a game for them

I will start

Deadly Premonition...is ALSO Twin Peaks: The Video Game!

VGEsoterica

Thank you for reminding me of this translation. I was waiting for a while for it. Human games are really interesting and odd. Clock Tower is one of my favorites.
Yes Human has the most interesting catalog of any dev from back in the day. They just did things SO different from everyone else

Aldric

Konami used to be pretty good at taking inspirations from movies.

Silent Hill: Jacob's Ladder
Contra: Predator and Aliens
Castlevania: all the Hammer classics (remember Steven Jillberg)

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I swear almost every JRPG from the 90s was a ripoff of Castle in the Sky (Laputa).

A young man encounters an orphan girl with a Mysterious Pendant who’s on the run, being chased by secret agents and sky pirates. Turns out she is one of the last of some bloodline that had control of a magical, technologically advanced floating city and her pendant is the key to activating it. And the man chasing her also descended from that bloodline and believes he is entitled to it.

Sound familiar?

VGEsoterica

I swear almost every JRPG from the 90s was a ripoff of Castle in the Sky (Laputa).

A young man encounters an orphan girl with a Mysterious Pendant who’s on the run, being chased by secret agents and sky pirates. Turns out she is one of the last of some bloodline that had control of a magical, technologically advanced floating city and her pendant is the key to activating it. And the man chasing her also descended from that bloodline and believes he is entitled to it.

Sound familiar?
The plot of Die Hard! 🤣

Doom85

The director of Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening said the cast of odd characters was inspired by Twin Peaks’ similar use of an ensemble of oddballs.

When i saw "Twin Peaks: The Game" i was assuming you were talking about Deadly Premonition. SWERY is known for his almost completely plagiarized games. D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die rips the movie Memento off and Deadly Premonition 2 rips off True Detective.

VGEsoterica

When i saw "Twin Peaks: The Game" i was assuming you were talking about Deadly Premonition. SWERY is known for his almost completely plagiarized games. D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die rips the movie Memento off and Deadly Premonition 2 rips off True Detective.
I am happy to keep letting Swery rip off any more / tv franchise he wants. I just wish he’d make games a little less technically flawed!

alf717

I had an interest in this game for a long time. Think I'll dust off the xStation PS I have and fire it up for this. Can you recommend the best translation to use? I found two translation so far. One by someone named Owl and another by Cirosan / Nikita. I like the font used in your video but images of the other translation is all I could find. Not sure which one is which though. Thanks for the reminder on Mizzurna Falls. Here are the notes I found for each patch.

1. Patch by Cirosan/nikita a patch made from scratch, it uses Evie text as base and rephrases a lot of text data. It translates the entire game including, intro video subtitles, menus and map.
  2. Patch by Owl, he re-translated the game entirely by himself. Intro video isn't subbed but it's not a deal breaker since it's already spoken in English.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I paid under $100 to import this game. If you don’t understand Japanese it’s a bit hard because you can miss events in the game according to the FAQ. I haven’t tried the English patch. The FAQ for it on GameFAQs is really good though.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I am happy to keep letting Swery rip off any more / tv franchise he wants. I just wish he’d make games a little less technically flawed!
I think that if he does not fall to the pressure of pushing AAAA visuals that HW and engines will catch up to his ambition as a designer and the budgets he can afford for his team (admittedly, I think he may leave some of the jank on purpose).

Playing Deadly Premonition on PS3 and then playing it on XSX in BC mode is night and day in several aspects (despite PS3 having the Director’s Cut edition with improvements): framerate and loading times alone make a HUGE difference. A nice mechanic, looking at people outside and inside their homes, takes an unbearable amount of time on PS3 (which is punishing as most of the time you find nothing in each house) while it is immediate on XSX.

Teslerum

I had an interest in this game for a long time. Think I'll dust off the xStation PS I have and fire it up for this. Can you recommend the best translation to use? I found two translation so far. One by someone named Owl and another by Cirosan / Nikita. I like the font used in your video but images of the other translation is all I could find. Not sure which one is which though. Thanks for the reminder on Mizzurna Falls. Here are the notes I found for each patch.

1. Patch by Cirosan/nikita a patch made from scratch, it uses Evie text as base and rephrases a lot of text data. It translates the entire game including, intro video subtitles, menus and map.
  2. Patch by Owl, he re-translated the game entirely by himself. Intro video isn't subbed but it's not a deal breaker since it's already spoken in English.
Kind of wrong.

Owl didn't re-translate the entire game. Both patches use Evie as a base. But while Cirosan/nikita couldn't overcome size constraints and thus couldn't insert the script and decided to rewrite a lot of stuff to cut it down, Owl managed to insert Evie's script.

That's the biggest difference.

Last edited:

alf717

Kind of wrong.

Owl didn't re-translate the entire game. Both patches use Evie as a base. But while Cirosan/nikita couldn't overcome size constraints and thus couldn't insert the script and decided to rewrite a lot of stuff to cut it down, Owl managed to insert Evie's script.

That's the biggest difference.
Thank you for the info. Gave both a quick test. With the Cirosan/nikita version the audio in the beginning sounds more English while the owl version seems to stick with the Japanese original with a more "engrish" sounding intro. I think I'll go with Cirosan/nikita patch for now.

Naked Lunch

Twin Peaks is as good as TV will ever get. Lynch is a genius. The way the 90s show had the scene talking about "25 years later" - and then the show actually did return 25 years later is something that cannot and willnot be replicated.

Deadly Premonition is my favorite of the Twin Peaks ripoff lot. The game is silly comical - yet also super serious the core at times with some powerful, violent scenes.
Ive yet to play Mizzurna. I will eventually.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Big Twin Peaks fan here and I've never heard of that PS1 game. I will be promptly finding an English version to run on emulation, many thanks for the heads-up.

Teslerum

Thank you for the info. Gave both a quick test. With the Cirosan/nikita version the audio in the beginning sounds more English while the owl version seems to stick with the Japanese original with a more "engrish" sounding intro. I think I'll go with Cirosan/nikita patch for now.
Fair enough. I went with Owl, since Cirosan's patch does differ quite significantly at times (as a result of the size constraints and just a more *localization* like approach and mindset in general), but that's personal preference.

Last edited:

alf717

I am actually going for a more pure translation if possible so Owl's patch might be the way I go after all. Over at Romhacking.net a review mentioned that Owl's patch doesn't work on real hardware. I found a few others that said the same but they ran the game off a burned disc where I am using an xStation. So far after another test of the prologue I have none of those issues on real hardware so I may just continue on with Owl's translation since that is the one with "Ouchy Ouchy feet" :pie_roffles: This is gonna be a game I check out.

As other people have pointed out Life is Strange is also inspired by Twin Peaks to the point where IIRC Chloe's license plate says "TWNPKS" on it. LiS (the original at least) is like a cross between Twin Peaks, Donnie Darko and a John Hughes coming of age teen drama. There's a lesser known Twin Peaks inspired adventure game, Kathy Rain:

Small town, eccentric characters, a mysterious disappearance, and supernatural elements to the mystery. It gets the vibe down pretty well.

Also, giving a hard agree to the Deadly Premonition mentions, it's Twin Peaksy af.

Kojima Productions early adventure games certainly wore their inspirations on their sleeves. Snatcher is basically 80% Blade Runner, 20% Terminator (100% glorious):

Policenauts borrows heavily from Lethal Weapon:
policenauts-jonathan-and-ed.jpg
lethal-weapon-rankings.jpg

To the point where the entire dinner scene from Lethal Weapon, where Murtaugh's daughter flirts with Riggs, is basically lifted directly from the movie.

(second video time stamped to the scene)

Last edited:
Top Bottom