• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2017 Trade Deadline: Dodgers get Yu Darvish, Yankees get Sonny Gray

Tripon

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...acquire-right-hander-yu-darvish-texas-rangers

The Los Angeles Dodgers, owners of the best record in baseball, have acquired right-hander Yu Darvish from the Texas Rangers, according to Fox Sports.

Los Angeles landed perhaps the biggest name available right at the trade deadline on Monday. The Rangers will receive three minor-leaguers: second baseman Willie Calhoun, right-hander A.J. Alexy and shortstop Brendon Davis, according to ESPN and multiple reports. They are the fourth, 17th and 27th-ranked prospects in the Dodgers system, respectively, according to MLB.com.

Los Angeles did not want to part with their top prospects like right-hander Walker Buehler and outfielder Alex Verdugo.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/20210730/new-york-yankees-trade-sonny-gray-oakland-athletics

The Yankees' pursuit of Oakland Athletics starter Sonny Gray spilled into the final hours before Monday's trade deadline, but a swap has been reached that sends the right-hander to New York.

EDITOR'S PICKS

Landing Sonny Gray makes the Yankees the Yankees again
A year ago, the Bombers waved the white flag. Now, armed with the former A's ace, they're one step closer to waving championship flag No. 28.

They already have the deepest bullpen in the majors, but by adding a starter of Gray's caliber the Yanks have a group of hurlers that can compete with any staff in baseball.
The Athletics are getting back shortstop/outfielder Jorge Mateo, outfielder Dustin Fowler and pitcher James Kaprielian while also sending the Yankees $1.5 million in international signing money.

Oakland is taking on two injured players. Fowler ruptured the patellar tendon in his right knee on June 29, 2016, during his first game in the majors last season; Kaprielian had Tommy John surgery on April 18.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/20210202/houston-astros-get-francisco-liriano-toronto-blue-jays

The Houston Astros acquired left-hander Francisco Liriano from the Toronto Blue Jays on Monday, a source told ESPN's Buster Olney, confirming multiple reports.

MLB.com is reporting that outfielder Nori Aoki and minor league outfielder Teoscar Hernandez are headed to Toronto in return for Liriano.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...quire-minnesota-twins-closer-brandon-kintzler

The Washington Nationals have acquired Minnesota Twins closer Brandon Kintzler.

In return, the Twins received left-hander Tyler Watson from Washington.

The Los Angeles Dodgers have agreed to acquire left-handed relievers Tony Watson from the Pittsburgh Pirates and Tony Cingrani from the Cincinnati Reds, according to multiple reports.

The Watson trade was announced by the Pirates, who will send minor leaguers Oneil Cruz and Angel German to Los Angeles in return.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...traded-los-angeles-dodgers-pittsburgh-pirates

Post more trades for any I missed.

It was a pretty slow deadline. I guess Sonny and Yu are big..Sonny more so as he actually has a few years of control. Glad the Jays could get something out a few of their expirings.

Not sure why the Twins traded their closer, unless they are determining now that they can't make a run at the division title and figure as an All-Star this is about as much as he'll ever be worth.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Not sure why the Twins traded their closer, unless they are determining now that they can't make a run at the division title and figure as an All-Star this is about as much as he'll ever be worth.
Because they're regressing to the mean, and not very good, and Kintzler is at the peak of his value?

I figured Dozier would slump to start the season and not get traded, and of-fucking-course that's what happened. Trade him quickly please.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I got a rock.

6Lue6ydl.jpg

We took back Panda, happy now? :D

Dodgers get even stronger, if that's possible.

Maybe they can actually get past the NLCS this time before flaming out in the WS!

A-V-B

Maybe they can actually get past the NLCS this time before flaming out in the WS!

I'm definitely expecting a 2001 Mariners outcome here. Teams that bulldoze everyone in the regular season lack that hunger and bite that scrappier teams bring from their desperate final games.

Then again the Cubs did win the world series last year. Sometimes the best regular season team can take the gold.

Doomsayer

Darvish has been pretty ass the last month and a half but it's still a great pick up for the Dodgers.

One thing I don't like is getting rid of Calhoun... though if it helps us win the WS this year it's worth it.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I'm definitely expecting a 2001 Mariners outcome here. Teams that bulldoze everyone in the regular season lack that hunger and bite that scrappier teams bring with them from their desperate final games.

Then again the Cubs did win the world series last year. Sometimes the best regular season team can take the gold.

Even last year the Cubs could just as easily lost in 4 or 5 against SF in the NLDS, playoffs are a crapshoot. Most top seeds don't make it to the World Series, let alone win the whole thing. There's only been like 8 top seed WS winners since 1995 I believe.

Top Bottom