• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB suspends Trevor Bauer for 2 seasons for domestic violence

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
For those of you who never followed the story, a woman claims he sexually abused her, while he claims she agreed to rough sex.

NEW YORK — Los Angeles Dodgers pitcher Trevor Bauer was suspended Friday for a record two full seasons without pay by Major League Baseball for violating the league's domestic violence and sexual assault policy, which he denies.

Bauer's suspension — which will cover 324 games without pay — comes after a San Diego woman, whom the pitcher had met through social media, alleged that Bauer beat and sexually abused her last year. She later sought but was denied a restraining order. Los Angeles prosecutors said in February there was insufficient evidence to prove the woman’s accusations beyond a reasonable doubt.

Bauer, who hasn't played since the allegations surfaced and MLB began investigating, repeatedly has said that everything that happened between the two was consensual.

“In the strongest possible terms, I deny committing any violation of the league’s domestic violence and sexual assault policy,” he said Friday in a statement. “I am appealing this action and expect to prevail. As we have throughout this process, my representatives and I respect the confidentiality of the proceedings.”

If the suspension is upheld, Bauer will lose about $60 million in salary.

The previous longest suspension under the policy was a full season and postseason for free agent pitcher Sam Dyson in 2021.

The policy unveiled in August 2015 grants MLB Commissioner Rob Manfred the autonomy to suspend players with “just cause.”

A person with knowledge of the situation told The Associated Press the next step is for Bauer’s representatives and the players’ association to work out a schedule with MLB for taking the case before an arbitrator. The person spoke on the condition of anonymity because the process was not made public.

Bauer earlier this week sued his accuser in federal court, a move that came less than three months after prosecutors decided not to file criminal charges against the pitcher. Bauer named the woman and one of her attorneys, Niranjan Fred Thiagarajah, as defendants in the lawsuit. The Associated Press does not typically identify people who say they have been victims of sexual assault.

The lawsuit said that “the damage to Mr. Bauer has been extreme” after the woman alleged that he had choked her into unconsciousness, punched her repeatedly and had anal sex with her without her consent during two sexual encounters last year.

The pitcher has said the two engaged in rough sex at his Pasadena home at her suggestion and followed guidelines they agreed to in advance. Each encounter ended with them joking and her spending the night, he said.

Bauer was placed on administrative leave last July 2 under the joint domestic violence and sexual assault policy of MLB and the players’ association. The leave had been repeatedly extended and Bauer continued to be paid his $32 million salary while on leave. He stopped getting paid Friday; he stands to lose $28 million this year and $32 million next year.

MLB announced the suspension in a short statement that did not provide details of the findings of its investigation, adding: “In accordance with the terms of the Policy, the Commissioner’s Office will not issue any further statements at this point in time.”

After winning his first Cy Young Award with the Cincinnati Reds in 2020, Bauer agreed to a $102 million, three-year contract to join his hometown Dodgers. He did not pitch after June 29 and finished with an 8-2 record and a 2.59 ERA in 17 appearances. He was paid his $28 million salary last year.

“The Dodgers organization takes all allegations of this nature very seriously and does not condone or excuse any acts of domestic violence or sexual assault,” the team's statement said. “We’ve cooperated fully with MLB’s investigation since it began, and we fully support MLB’s Joint Domestic Violence, Sexual Assault, and Child Abuse Policy, and the Commissioner’s enforcement of the Policy. We understand that Trevor has the right to appeal the Commissioner’s decision. Therefore, we will not comment further until the process is complete.”

Last edited:

Amory

I don't see how they can suspend him for that long when he was never even charged with anything. This is really just a matter of how much LA gets away with not paying him. His career is probably over once his current contract runs out, no one is gonna touch him with a 10 foot pole

Bauer is a fucking idiot for getting involved in that kind of relationship, but the woman is clearly a nut

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I don't see how they can suspend him for that long when he was never even charged with anything. This is really just a matter of how much LA gets away with not paying him. His career is probably over once his current contract runs out, no one is gonna touch him with a 10 foot pole

Bauer is a fucking idiot for getting involved in that kind of relationship, but the woman is clearly a nut
That's PR justice.

No different than any employee at any company getting fired from their job when the guy hasnt even been to court yet. And I bet most of them who ended up being innocent arent getting their jobs back.

Thats the drawback of getting accused. Even when innocent there will always be an aura around you being guilty, which many people or companies want no part of. Sad but true.

HoodWinked

$60 million dollar fuck.

its obvious that this woman is doing this for some kind of a payout. Bauer also dumb he should have had the sense to run when he saw warnings or made sure to record evidence.

Dr Bass

Is there anything else to this aside from someone just “saying something?”

So we are at the stage where you can ruin lives with nothing to back it up if a woman wants to?

Setzer

So Marcell Ozuna can beat his wife, get charged and pleaded guilty for it and only get off with a 20 game suspension but Trevor Bauer gets accused of sexual assault and then has those charges dropped by the accuser and still gets hit with a 2 year suspension. Seems totally fair!

MastaKiiLA

So we are at the stage where you can ruin lives with nothing to back it up if a woman wants to?
In these situations, assume the MLB and it's investigation team found enough disturbing information that they decided a suspension was the prudent decision. They almost certainly have access to more information than has been made public.

Last edited:

Ron Mexico

In these situations, assume the MLB and it's investigation team found enough disturbing information that they decided a suspension was the prudent decision. They almost certainly have access to more information than has been made public.
Yep. And rightfully or not, the threshold for the CBA and the threshold for, say, a court case are different.

The interesting parts here are that by appealing, he doesn't get credit for any time on admin leave but is also still under contract so he couldn't pitch in some other league, even something like independent ball, with the goal of staying sharp.

Don't know the exact info the league has. I imagine some but not all will ultimately leak. Regardless, the way this suspension was handled is wild.

Smoke6

It’s always been like that! Hell y’all go even harder if it was animal cruelty

Dr Bass

That’s why I’m asking the question. Is that assumption true? There was nothing to charge the guy with, so what would the mlb have?

Dural

"'Next victim. Star pitcher for the Dodgers,'" Bauer said in the video. "A text Lindsey Hill sent to a friend before she ever even met me. ‘What should I steal?' she asked another, in reference to visiting my house for the first time. The answer? ‘Take his money.' So how might that work? ‘I'm going to his house Wednesday.' she said, ‘I already have my hooks in. you know how I roll.' Then, after the first time we met, "Net worth is 51 mil" she said. ‘b---h, you better secure the bag', was the response.

"But how was she going to do that? ‘Need daddy to choke me out,' she said. ‘being an absolute whore to try to get in on his 51 million,' read another text. Then, after the second time we met, former [San Diego] Padres pitcher Jacob Nix told her ‘you gotta get this bag.' ‘I'll give you 50,000' Lindsey replied. Her AA sponsor asked her at one point, ‘do you feel a tiny bit guilty?' ‘Not really,' she replied."

He should sue MLB next.

mitch1971

after the woman alleged that he had choked her into unconsciousness, punched her repeatedly and had anal sex with her without her consent during two sexual encounters last year.
Twice?! So, she came back again for what...better bruises to show the lawyers?

Chicago Bulls What GIF by NBA

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I liked Bauer as a pitcher, the headlines lately are way up there though. You aren’t mike Tyson here. Obviously it’s unacceptable.

TransTrender

Gold Member
Uhhhh, how were these texts not included as part of the discovery process here?
Yeah, 100%, sure her and her accomplices and the MLB for everything.
Looks like he settled and took the L there, but why not any criminal charges against her?
Also open season on the MLB.

Last edited:

Dural

The woman is clearly evil but the way MLB handled this is a total farce. Hope he sues them for the $65 million he lost and hundreds more he couldve earned for the rest of the year.

If I'm remembering right, he was paid while on suspension and he signed with the Japanese team so he would have to be paid out his contract by the Dodgers. You'd think he could get something for the damage to his reputation and future earnings though as no MLB team would touch him because of the BS accusations.

Sonik

Who would have thought that a movement like #metoo that encouraged women to publicly accuse men even with no evidence whatsoever would turn out like this huh?

Gee, it sure looks like the adults in the room aka the "bigots" according to woketards were right once again and yet another woke movement turns out to be cancerous for society and/or a grift

Thaedolus

Uhhhh, how were these texts not included as part of the discovery process here?
Yeah, 100%, sure her and her accomplices and the MLB for everything.
Looks like he settled and took the L there, but why not any criminal charges against her?
Also open season on the MLB.
Because she illegally withheld them and misled the court. Honestly I get why he didn’t keep pursuing his legal recourse against her because she’s likely broke and attorneys are expensive, but I feel like the court should at least sanction her or she should be charged with perjury or whatever statute applies

HoodWinked

it doesn't make any sense that she just gets to walk away with no punishment. Even though Trevor has been cleared of the charges he will always be tarnished by this, so he'll never get any big endorsement deals, subway commercials and his future contracts are going to be diminished as well because of this. While she's just living her life like a piece of shit like nothing ever happened.

AmuroChan

it doesn't make any sense that she just gets to walk away with no punishment. Even though Trevor has been cleared of the charges he will always be tarnished by this, so he'll never get any big endorsement deals, subway commercials and his future contracts are going to be diminished as well because of this. While she's just living her life like a piece of shit like nothing ever happened.

Not to mention losing two years in the prime of his career. He should be filing civil suits against her until every dollar in her bank account is drained.

Last edited:

HoodWinked

What the actual fuck I just learned some additional details.... seriously there is something completely fucked up about our society.

"Even better, Lindsey received $300,000 from her insurance company. Based on that payment, Lindsey agreed to settle the lawsuit. Now that the lawsuit is over, Lindsey looks forward to helping others."

stn

This dumb piece of shit needs to rot in hell and needs to be jailed immediately. Ironically now people will be more skeptical of actual victims who come forward so she's literally hurting real victims. Messed up shit.

stn

It boils my blood, she ruined this dude's life. And she also lied to the court because she withheld evidence (as a lawyer, this pisses me off even more). The fact that she agreed to settle without binding Trevor to an NDA (99% of settlements have an NDA) tells me that she was really desperate to finish the case and his defamation lawsuit against her was a threat.

Little Mac

This guy is handling it a lot better than I ever could. MLB pitcher's average career length is under 11 years. Him losing 2 of those to false accusations is sad. He dedicated his life to the sport and his reputation was tarnished.

Saber

Gold Member
Certainly won't get the same coverage as the allegation...

Reminds me of the case with Neymar. I don't like the guy, but what happen against him was evil.
After he proved his innocence, people on twitter were saying either "judicial system is a failure" or "evil has triumphed". People answered them saying it was all proved that the whore plotted against him and the same people were like "don't care, I just want him jailed". Pretty sure something like that happened with Amber case, even Depp proving she is the aggressor, people said this only makes "reporting domestic violence harder".

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I thought courts say if you lie in court you get punished (perjury or some legal shit). So much for that.

That's why you get athletes and celebs always getting grilled. Hey, if it's fail safe, every gold digger might as well give it a try.

If you make a mistake on your income tax, the feds will come back and grill you for back taxes. But someone lies in court, accuser gets branded, and the schemer gets off free if the extortion fails. That sure makes sense.

You'd get a lot less garbage cases if false accusers got nailed with the same punishment back. There should be some kind of minimum fine or penalty if caught lying like $10,000. Even if it's someone lying someone stole their $100 shoes, the penalty still applies Not only will people think twice, but it'd help government coffers cover stupid cases.

stn

Its ridiculous. And a lot of the media outlets that said he was guilty are now reporting on the update but with VERY misleading headlines.

HoodWinked

zero remorse. this whole thing is so demoralizing knowing she got $300k payout, just lie and lie and her friends are even encouraging her in the text.

stn

If anyone is interested, Bauer's lawsuit against her and her lawyer is posted online (not sure if I'm allowed to link it?). The evidence is damning, she and her lawyer literally lied to the court and public. It is insane that she isn't in jail and that her former lawyer is still licensed to practice.

Top Bottom