• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB to hand 10-day bans for grip substances abuse.

Tschumi

Please delete if old news...

Recent threads suggest this is good news for some GAFers... Wonder which pitchers will suddenly suck ...

Major League Baseball is expected to announce Tuesday that it will suspend players caught with any foreign substance for 10 days with pay to help curtail the widespread use of grip enhancers by pitchers around the league, sources familiar with the plans told ESPN.

The league is expected to distribute a memo to teams -- which have been briefed on the broad strokes of the policy change -- that outlines its plans to penalize all players caught by umpires with any foreign substance on their person, from the widely used sunscreen-and-rosin combination to Spider Tack, an industrial glue that has become a favorite among pitchers who want to generate more spin on the ball.

The liberal interpretation of Rules 3.01 and 6.02(c), which ban the use of foreign substances, would discipline all substances the same. While there is a "broad consensus among players that Spider Tack is over the line," a high-ranking person on the players' side told ESPN on Monday, the full ban of all grip agents could rankle players. A longtime umpire told ESPN the hard line is vital as he and his brethren attempt an on-the-fly enforcement of a rule that for years has been ignored.

However significant players' reliance on sticky stuff has become, and regardless of how responsible teams and the league were for enabling another cheating scandal to burrow its way into baseball, the efforts to rid the game of grip enhancers have arrived and will begin in earnest June 21, sources said.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Receivers in football already wear gloves, LeBron is huge into chalk dust for grip in basketball but I love this pitcher cheating with sticky grip story, I feel like it’s attempting the steroid era ratings.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
10 days WITH PAY for using a substance that can help them up their stats to a level where they get paid hundreds of millions of dollars?

Hmmm.......I wonder what players will do.....

LOLCats

Banned
watched a video on this recently, thought i saw it here, anyway pitching stats are statospheric and increased ball rpm is so obvious that they def have a magic substance.

baseball dead to me since Steroid era anyway.

Last edited:

MastaKiiLA

Suspended with pay? So a fucking paid vacation? Way to deter the cheaters, MLB. Just cheat during the regular season, and then feel free to gamble late in the WS, because who gives a fuck about missing a start at the beginning of the next season? Also, what do they do to repeat offenders?

HoodWinked

It's weird they landed on calling it foreign substances because it makes it sound more nefarious and dangerous.

It's literally sticky shit for your hands. They have the rosin bags and players would mix that with thier sunscreen that makes it more sticky but both are allowed. They probably can't go nuts on the punishment because its a grey zone for what's allowed and what's not.

MastAndo

Gold Member
I'm surprised the MLB doesn't just provide pitchers with official, MLB-issued sticky stuff while making all other substances illegal. They can manipulate that from season to season to get the results they need, the same way the do with the baseballs themselves.

saw this story this morning
dang burrito had anabolic steroids in them 🌝
Shit dude. I'm about to start hitting up Chipotle. HARD.

Obviously this is pathetic. MLB wants to look like they're doing something without actually doing anything, which for the life of me, I do not understand. Their game is dying. The most exciting parts of the game are when the ball is put in play, and that is not happening enough. Cracking down on this will help hitters. It both stops cheating and makes the games better. Why is this even difficult?

Last edited:

Tschumi

I'm surprised the MLB doesn't just provide pitchers with official, MLB-issued sticky stuff while making all other substances illegal. They can manipulate that from season to season to get the results they need, the same way the do with the baseballs themselves.
Blow Your Mind Wow GIF by Product Hunt

Fox Mulder

Cheating or not, it wasn’t a new issue and now they’re cracking down in the middle of a season. I’m not a fan of how it suddenly impacts key players and teams. MLB could have handled it in an off-season

Last edited:

Pidull

Hilarious how this all blew up in MLB's faces. Just like Jose Canseco, they'll hate Trevor Bauer forever.

Just goes to show, if you're not cheating, you're not trying. Athletes have every reason to cheat for an advantage.

GloveSlap

Hilarious how this all blew up in MLB's faces. Just like Jose Canseco, they'll hate Trevor Bauer forever.

Just goes to show, if you're not cheating, you're not trying. Athletes have every reason to cheat for an advantage.
Cheating is lame as hell....BUT there comes a point where non-enforcement forces everyone to cheat just to keep up.

Top Bottom