• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mobile Gaming Globally declined 6% in Q1 2022 (10% in US and 18% in JP)

reksveks

Today Sensor Tower released a new report which said that during Q1 2022, global mobile gaming amassed $21.2 billion in revenue, a 6% decline compared to last year.
The analytics firm's State of Mobile Gaming report provided a more detailed breakdown of revenue performance by country.
The US saw mobile game consumer spending decline by 10%, as it generated just under $6 billion for the quarter.
Despite the decrease, the country remains the top mobile games market Sensor Tower said.
Whereas Japan, the second largest mobile games market, was down 18% year-over-year and amassed $4.2 billion for the period.
Additionally, the report said that US consumer spending on the Google Play Store dropped by 22% during Q1 of 2022.
Sensor Tower went to say that this maybe attributed to inflation and rising cost of living in the US.

Source: https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...-game-revenue-declined-6-percent-to-usd21-2bn

cormack12

Gold Member
I feel we really need deeper dives into Mobile gaming metrics. Numbers look impressive but how many of these sessions are like 10 minutes toilet trips, 15 minute bedtime puzzles or meeting distractions.

Stats like these paint cool pictures

reksveks

I feel we really need deeper dives into Mobile gaming metrics. Numbers look impressive but how many of these sessions are like 10 minutes toilet trips, 15 minute bedtime puzzles or meeting distractions.

Yeah (work in an industry full of shit metrics) but in this case, these numbers are revenue.

Elysion

Banned
Huh, so mobile gaming has finally reached its zenith? Makes sense I guess, everyone and their grandmother has a capable smartphone these days, it was only a matter of time before the market reached saturation. Mobile gaming is no longer a ‚blue ocean‘, and hasn‘t been for years; it‘s just as competitive as console and PC gaming, if not more so.

I wonder how mobile gaming will look five or ten years from now. Where will it go from here?

reksveks

What do they count in revenue? Like just direct player spend or revenue generated from ads, reward vids etc?
Don't think it makes a huge difference personally a dollar is a dollar even if it takes a 500 ad impressions or a 1 mtx purchase. The only difference is what is more volatile.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

And also need some kind of measurement regarding revenue vs all the games out there.

Just like checking steamDB, some of these mobile games (like Pc steam games) probably have 100 buyers where the current players in the game is like 5.

It’d probably be a lot less impressive if stats were divvied out like this.

It’s like reading articles and Amway or Avon have billions of sales but on a per door to door sales person metric it is like $500 per year revenue per person. I don’t know the real metric but I know it’s shit.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Today Sensor Tower released a new report which said that during Q1 2022, global mobile gaming amassed $21.2 billion in revenue, a 6% decline compared to last year.
The analytics firm's State of Mobile Gaming report provided a more detailed breakdown of revenue performance by country.
The US saw mobile game consumer spending decline by 10%, as it generated just under $6 billion for the quarter.
Despite the decrease, the country remains the top mobile games market Sensor Tower said.
Whereas Japan, the second largest mobile games market, was down 18% year-over-year and amassed $4.2 billion for the period.
Additionally, the report said that US consumer spending on the Google Play Store dropped by 22% during Q1 of 2022.
Sensor Tower went to say that this maybe attributed to inflation and rising cost of living in the US.

Source: https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...-game-revenue-declined-6-percent-to-usd21-2bn
sacha baron cohen party hard GIF

RaptorGTA

Honestly, I am surprised. Then again there are so many copy cat games out there its probably turning people off from them

Omali

I'm not surprised. The mobile market is such a saturated shit hole that inevitably the main market was going to start getting turned off of it. I haven't looked at the Google Play store in years just because the stuff that ends up on the front screen is mostly blatant plagiarism and absolute shit.

Top Bottom