• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mobile Suit Gundam: The Witch from Mercury |OT| This witch rides a Gundam (Up: Season 2 now airing!)

In case anyone didn't know, there won't be a new episode this Sunday (it'll be a recap of 1-6). Episode 7 will air November 20.

Last edited:
Episode 7 is out.

That was a purely character-driven/company/economics episode, but it was so goddamn good.

EDIT: End card

Last edited:

lachesis

Damn, I didn't know (fake) Elan actually died. :( Poor guy.
So Suleta's Mom vs Miorine's Dad plot thickens....
And that blonde long hair boy & Nika. I knew Nika was hiding something....
I liked the scene where Miorine threw off her high-hill and scarf. Little cheesy and obvious, but effective motif of her being of her own.
My assumption is Gund-arm is reason why Miorine's mom died, perhaps...?

Episode 8 was more slow paced and character driven, but I appreciate that tbh.

I've already seen every Gundam series, seeing this one work slower and in new directions is refreshing imo.

Last edited:

lachesis

This EP was so far my favorite. Other than Bandai's obvious gimmick to sell more Gun-plas, but still enjoyed it.
Some great action scenes and build ups, albeit little conventional/predictable. Chuchu was indeed the MVP.

Guel's hermit mode is pretty funny though - and whole Food War type of setting is little hard to be convinced, but well, it is what it is.
Kinda sad to not being able to see that military "grit", but so far I am enjoying this somewhat lighthearted characters and the sheer contrast between the adults and corrupted... although I do hope it doesn't just end up being "adults bad, youth good" type of deal.

Schedule for the rest of this season:

December 11: Episode 10
December 18: No episode due to TBS "Houdou no Hi 2022"
December 25 (Christmas): Episode 11
January 1: No episode due to New Year's Special Programming
January 8: Episode 12 (Cour 1 Finale)

Also a reminder that Cour 2 will start in April 2023 (aka spring season).

Last edited:

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
Schedule for the rest of this season:

December 11: Episode 10
December 18: No episode due to TBS "Houdou no Hi 2022"
December 25 (Christmas): Episode 11
January 1: No episode due to New Year's Special Programming
January 8: Episode 12 (Cour 1 Finale)

Also a reminder that Cour 2 will start in April 2023 (aka spring season).

Such an unusual schedule

lachesis

Well, I guess I'll watch the EP11 while having KFC, then.. Oh no, I have high cholesterol, so I cannot... :(

Can't believe it's already almost the end of 1st cour - I assume it's at least 4 cour, 48-50 Episodes like most Gundams? As far as I can see, the characters seem to be quite popular - and being a Gundam, it won't be canned that easily - but at this point of time, it seems duel of the week type of storytelling is becoming a bit stale. 6x6 was pretty awesome though. Hope for next few episodes, I wish they'll kick up few more notches for cour2.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Dunno if there's a proper Gundam thread but man... Gundam I hasn't aged very well. I mean the animation I can look past obviously but everything else is just so lacklustre. Especially compared to stuff like Gunbuster and Neon Genesis Evangelion (or Gurren Lagann).

I've spent like 3 days already trying to get through the first film lol and now I'm at the final 30 mins which I've put on 1.5 speed. Should've done that from the start. :pie_grinning_sweat:
The originals hadn't aged well when I watched them 20+ years ago. Interesting to get the basis for everything to follow but otherwise skippable.

0083 Stardust Memory was my favorite, and should hold up a lot better. 0080 War in the Pocket and 08th MS Team were good too.

Doom85

The originals hadn't aged well when I watched them 20+ years ago. Interesting to get the basis for everything to follow but otherwise skippable.

0083 Stardust Memory was my favorite, and should hold up a lot better. 0080 War in the Pocket and 08th MS Team were good too.

I don’t watch a ton of pre-90’s anime as plenty of them just don’t click with me, but I personally found the Gundam movie trilogy that was based on the original trilogy pretty easy to get through. Well, I will admit the first movie is kind of repetitive (Amuro and Char fight, both sides lick their wounds, Amuro and Char fight, rinse and repeat) but the second and third films get more interesting IMHO.

I do think it’s a good idea to watch the original film trilogy (which creator Tomino has said is the canon version over the original show) first before tackling Zeta, as plenty of characters carry over from it. Zeta is pretty solid, not to mention has my “Best Gundam Girl” Emma Sheen in it (which was hilariously reinforced in one of the Gundam Build Fighters series where one character declares Emma “Best Girl”).

Never got around to 0083 or 08th, but 0080 is tied with Gundam 00 (the series that aired in the late 2000’s) as my personal favorite entry in the franchise of the ones I’ve seen.

lachesis

Tomino - father of Gundam - is a brilliant at screen play, but his storytelling is very unfriendly to say the least. One of the reasons why it’s so meme-able with his wonky dialogues and all.

So when watching his old works like 0079 or even Zeta - I am glad that I watched them in my puberty years. ;) Modern Gundams without Tomino’s script - at least is much easier to understand the characters, whether the whole story itself is good or not.

If one’s just starting out with Gundam - I would just suggest 00 or SEED.

Just gonna c/p my discord reacts for episode 10.

Cute tanuki shenanigans so far
Delling being a good father wtf
Guel ran off to be a wagecuck...well to get away from his dad, I kinda respect that
THIS AIN'T RIGHT
Is El0n that good an actor?...NO FUCK THIS IS EL5N
Oh wtf
Suletta clearly has feels but Miorine is acting autistic.
Usual Okouchi drama
Oh SHIT that after credits scene
And there's a break next week, gfd

Last edited:

lachesis

Guel's actually my favorite character now. I think out of all male pilots (other than the friends in the Gund-arm group), I guess he's only one with rather based mind set.
Seems like it's finally expanding its universe now. Looking forward what would happen on the next. While I predict most of the characters would meet unfortunate demise (being Gundam)... I do hope some of them would survive.

I wonder if this Aerial would have a successor in its sleeve in mid season..?

I guess there's no real Gundam thread here anymore, so I'll post the new Witch kit reveals here.

I really wonder if any or all of these will show up in the last 2 episodes of the first cour, of if some of these will show up in the second cour.

np1.png

np5.png

np4.jpg

np6.jpg

np7.jpg

np8.jpg

kondorBonk

The Darilbadle and Demi Barding look nice. I'm guessing this is the closest well get to the Zaku design from this iteration.

Episode 11...

1671956748013715.jpg

And another two week wait until the season finale, goddamn it.

Also, the OP had a change. We have a bratty witch invasion.

mesu.png

Last edited:

lachesis

It was very nice build up. Finally some real urgency, not some made-up duels. Looking forward to the next episode after new years, real G vs G fight possibly?

The 2 new Gundams design is kinda traditional, I would believe it was from 00 or whatnot.

One more week until the cour finale.

Also went back and added a link to each episode's end card on each of my posts, like I should have from the beginning x.x

Last edited:

Ballthyrm

I would recommend Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin.
And then some really good OVA, like Thunderbolt or Unicorn.

Stardust Memory is my favorite OVA too and 08 MS Team my favorite Gundam

lachesis

Any word on if this is a one off or will it have more seasons?
Like OP mentioned, currently it's 2 season thing - but I think it really depends on the popularity.
However a Gundam TV series, if it's mainline - they run full 4 cour (48 to 52 eps - 4 seasons if you'd like to call it)... so I wouldn't be surprised if the 2nd part would air after a brief break or so, like 00 and Orphans did.
And I it does seem like it's getting some good reception in Japan - so I wouldn't easily discount as 2 cour ending.

I did hear about the production team running into issues who are good at drawing mecha - and unlike many sf anime these days, those MS are still all drawn by hand as far as I know - hence there have been some lack of MS scenes and all. Hope it would get better on upcoming eps and next cour.

Online streaming of episode 12 will be delayed 24 hours to Monday, Jan 9th. Will still air on TV at the normal time.

Note that Crunchyroll isn't listed on their list of streaming services, so the US subs may still be on time. Won't know for sure until the time comes.

Last edited:
Crunchyroll subs weren't delayed after all, yus.

All I can say about episode 12 is holy shit. Holy shit. HOLY SHIT.

At least it wasn't as much of a blue ball cliffhanger like Code Geass season 1 was. I'd compare it more to......Aldnoah? Regardless, this definitely made my top 5 Gundam series (SEED, 00, Turn A, Unicorn, Witch). We'll see if Season 2 keeps it up there or not.

End card:

HG Aerial Rebuild PV:

Last edited:
Just for the record, since I haven't done OTs much, here or the other site.

Should I keep using this and just do a link in OP to the season 2 info? Or do a new thread for season 2?

man, the Bright slap isn't so bad afterall...

some interesting tidbits:
- physical ammo is banned in space. Makes sense since all the casings and projectiles will become space debris.
- "ally of the prince" is referring to Shaddiq I'm assuming
- Grassley's anti GUND format weaponry only works against permet score up to level 3.

It's really weird Suletta is not bothered by the fact she just smashed some dude into literal paste, and then reached out to Miorine with her blood soaked hand. This is not the first time she has behaved oddly. At first I thought she is autistic or something. I'm starting to wonder she's even human. (and this might explain why she's the only person to not exhibit any side effects when using the Gundam.)

YukiOnna

man, the Bright slap isn't so bad afterall...

some interesting tidbits:
- physical ammo is banned in space. Makes sense since all the casings and projectiles will become space debris.
- "ally of the prince" is referring to Shaddiq I'm assuming
- Grassley's anti GUND format weaponry only works against permet score up to level 3.

It's really weird Suletta is not bothered by the fact she just smashed some dude into literal paste, and then reached out to Miorine with her blood soaked hand. This is not the first time she has behaved oddly. At first I thought she is autistic or something. I'm starting to wonder she's even human. (and this might explain why she's the only person to not exhibit any side effects when using the Gundam.)

Starting to believe the Eri is Aerial theory more and more since the timeline since the Vanadis incident doesn't match up with Suletta's birth date and age to begin with. Eri should be older than that. Also, her demeanor completely flipped after the usual phrase and repeating it made her more okay so Prospera is doing some conditioning.

Tiamat2san

Its also on Netflix if you live outside of the US.
Crunchy roll in France.

These anime licensing are a fucking mess.
Like tokyo revengers season 2 is on disney + here bit season is on crunchy.😣

For gundam In france you need to have netflix and crunchy roll.

Crunchyroll revealed the dub cast. Episode 1 dub will release February 5.

Thinks I'll add a few of the dub cast to the OP.

Suletta voiced by Jill Harris (Nino in The Quintessential Quintuplets)
Miorine voiced by Natalie Van Sistine (Yor in SPY x FAMILY)
Prospera voiced by Elizabeth Maxwell (Zephia in Fire Emblem Engage)
Guel voiced by Bradley Gareth (Jyubei in BLUELOCK)
Elan voiced by Aaron Dismuke (Senku in Dr. STONE)
Chuatury voiced by Brittany Karbowski (Camie in My Hero Academia)
Nika voiced by Bryn Apprill (Kobeni in Chainsaw Man)
Shaddiq voiced by Alejandro Saab (Cheng in Link Click)
Delling voiced by Gabe Kunda (Desha in Ranking of Kings)
Vim voiced by Christopher R. Sabat (Vegeta in Dragon Ball Super)
Nuno voiced by Eric Vale (Sanji in One Piece)
Lauda voiced by Nazeeh Tarsha (Kamioka in Horimiya)
Lilique voiced by Sara Ragsdale (Maria in Tomodachi Game)
Petra voiced by Kimberly Grace (Hachi in My Roommate is a Cat)
Felsi voiced by Alexis Tipton (Anna in takt op. Destiny)
Rouji voiced by Kristin Payne
Secilla voiced by Cassie Ewulu (Akira in Kemono Jihen)
Sarius voiced by Mike Smith (Cucuruz Doan in Mobile Suit Gundam: Cucuruz Doan's Island)
Rajan voiced by Ian Sinclair (Einar in VINLAND SAGA)
Haro voiced by Jerry Jewell (Kyo in Fruits Basket)

Mobile Suit Gundam: The Witch From Mercury English Dub Crew

ADR Director: Jason Lord
Assistant ADR Director: Aaron Roberts
ADR Engineer: Noah Whitehead
Assistant ADR Engineer: Coco Caesar
Script Supervisors: Bonny Clinkenbeard, Jarrod Greene
ADR Scriptwriter: Alex Mai
ADR Prep: Olivia Harris

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
Speaking of Cucuruz Doans Island, is it streaming anywhere yet. Or can I buy the blu ray or something

Dub of episode 1 is out. I got some samples for everyone (well, last two are mine, first is from crunchy).

Feel free to discuss the dub if you want, I won't post any more clips and will focus on Cour 2 coming up.

Last edited:
Second cour will begin April 9. Sadly still no proper trailer or synopsis yet.

I assume Crunchyroll will still release episodes on Sunday like they did with the first cour.

As far as Gunpla, Lfrith Ur just released in Japan, and Lfrith Thorn will release the same day as Aerial Rebuild, March 18

193_5238_s_x79to5rahv280kcd71nm2e660avx.jpg

Last edited:
Season 2 synopsis

AS.122...
An era when a multitude of corporations have entered space and built a huge economic system.
After transferring to the Asticassia School of Technology from the planet Mercury, Suletta Mercury has experienced a school life filled with encounters and excitement, as both Miorine Rembran's bridegroom and a member of GUNDAM-ARM, Inc.

It has been two weeks since the incident at Plant Quetta.
Suletta passes her days at the school, anticipating her reunion with Miorine. Miorine, meanwhile, has stationed herself at the head office of the Benerit Group, monitoring her father's condition.
The two are about to face new hardships and pressing decisions.
Each with her own feelings in her heart, the girls will confront the mighty curse the Gundam brings.

The season starts April 9, 2023

So for Season 2, I added the synopsis and trailer under a spoiler tag in the OP (just in case there are people who haven't finished season 1).

But once episodes start (April 9), I'll leave that but further discussion will be unmarked.

Last edited:
Top Bottom