• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Modder Makes Bizarre Fusion of GBA and DS

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The DS and Game Boy Advance are often closely associated, partly because the first two models of the DS were backward compatible with the GBA. A prominent shared feature was the clamshell design first seen in the Game Boy Advance SP, something that seems to have inspired YouTube retro console modder Gameboy Custom to fuse the GBA SP with the DS. The modded console has the appearance of two GBA SPs in a DS Lite shell. The most prominent aspect of it is the fact that both screens are on the top half with the bottom reserved only for buttons, something sure to confuse those familiar with the iconic design of the DS.

Gameboy Customs went the extra mile and used shells designed after the classic Game Boy Advance games Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire. They uploaded a full build video in which they say that production of their "most outrageous" handheld lasted over a year and uses a DS R4 flash cartridge that can emulate games from the DS, GBA, SNES, and many others. Unlike other consoles they make, Gameboy Customs will not make this console for sale and instead keep it as part of their own collection.

ryan-reynolds-but-why.gif

I don't want to be a total hater but they made a functionally worse DS Lite?

I think it's a neat idea, but...
Gameboy Customs went the extra mile and used shells designed after the classic Game Boy Advance games Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire.
"Gameboy Customs" gives me flashbacks of West Coast Customs from that old TV show Pimp My Ride... and it's right in line with how this gameboy looks, as their designs always looked like a bit too much was going on.

If they're happy with the end result though, who am I to criticize? 🤷‍♂️

I don't want to be a total hater but they made a functionally worse DS Lite?
maybe the slight move to the insides of the controls is a point the modder wanted to change. at least that looks not steamdeck-like comfortable but not right on the edge for baby hands like usual handhelds.

StormCell

Does he know that you can put gameboy games in a regular DS?
One of the reasons I keep my 2 DS Lites. Sure, I'm not likely to ever play either ever again, but they're in immaculate condition. If the world ever comes crashing to an end, I'll at least be a survivor with a couple of DS Lites and a solar charging station. I'll still have some of my favorite games!

-will be slain not for food or water but for his DS games-

Vindicator

I think it's a neat idea, but...

"Gameboy Customs" gives me flashbacks of West Coast Customs from that old TV show Pimp My Ride... and it's right in line with how this gameboy looks, as their designs always looked like a bit too much was going on.

If they're happy with the end result though, who am I to criticize? 🤷‍♂️
Yo dawg I heard you like GBA in your DS so we put not only one but two GBAs in ya DS.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

This video will cover me building a fully working nintendo gameboy advance sp completely out of lego bricks. Ofcourse it will still have the inner components like the lcd screen, the motherboard, plus the buttons. I will also be using an Ips lcd screen to reduce the thickness of the upper half for a thinner build.

The YouTuber describes how they obtained the LEGO bricks to make a Game Boy Advance SP and used super glue to assemble the pieces to mimic the original housing shell's design. They showcase the successful finishing product and tested if it works by turning it on, testing the buttons, and seeing if it charges. The creator also demonstrated how they customized the LEGO Game Boy Advance SP with a LEGO race car and googly eyes and created multiple top levels for the console.

Top Bottom