• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

modern games are shit. They dont have replay value

kingfey

Banned
Seriously, don't let few good games, distract you from the shit games we have been getting.

So what if a game has good graphic? That doesnt excuse its shit gameplay.

Old games had replay value. Current games doesnt have that. And the only reason you replay them, is those shitty achievement, lazy devs implemented to their system.

I remember playing old battle field games nonstop, because it was fun. I lost track of time playing it.

I cant do the same for the current games. I am lucky if I can last 2-3 hour playing time.

Edit: Here is m issues with modern games.
cash grab games. Mtx, chore shit task, open world with no soul in it, copying a game and not putting what that game made it good in the first place.

Last edited:
play better games then. loads of games these days have replayability.

oh and i don't bother with achievements/trophies. they don't do anything for me.

Last edited:

Ballthyrm

Seriously, don't let few good games, distract you from the shit games we have been getting.

Old games had replay value. Current games doesnt have that. And the only reason you replay them, is those shitty achievement, lazy devs implemented to their system.

I remember playing old battle field games nonstop, because it was fun. I lost track of time playing it.

I cant do the same for the current games. I am lucky if I can last 2-3 hour playing time.

Do the work before buying games, make better choices.
The games you want exist, they just not the ones in front of you.

IE: don't go to Five Guys when you know you hate burgers

Last edited:

Edgelord79

Gold Member
clash royale goblin GIF by Clasharama

elliot5

I'm getting lots of replay value out of Halo rn

Tons of games now have new game+ or rogue like elements meant to increase replay value.

You not being able to play Battlefield for hours is more about Battlefield/you than games

Depends on the game. If it's focus is story/cinematics replay value is mostly non existant. If the focus is gameplay, there is often replay value.

xiseerht

I am 41 and I can say I started playing more indie games . And there are a number of indie games that have the same replay value of the games of the 80's and early 90's . You just need to try different games and not the same games you have been playing for 25 years.

TikeMyson

Few good games? Yeah... exactly like in the old days. Especially in PS1 and N64 we had really really REALLY shitty games. But no one remembers them. That's what selective perception is.

There is something to be said for games letting you jump into the action without excess narrative / tutorials. If you only play mainstream, big budget games with an emphasis on story - those kinds of games tend to be less replayable.

I'd recommend some Nintendo games, or arcade style games, or indie games.

Last edited:

FrozenFlame

I mean, I had to play the same game multiple times because that was the only thing that I had to play back then. Nowadays I have more money and games available, so I keep playing new games instead of replaying them. (It also doesn't help that I have less free time to play).

Then again, roguelikes/lites are made for multiple playthroughs, so, there's that.

STARSBarry

Gold Member

Despite what other... obviously younger people in this thread that haven't touched a good game in there own life time never mind yours are saying, it's not you.

Its really easy to see, as games have moved at an accelerated rate towards rewarding what you pay and not the time you put into them your finding that stuff dousent compare. When you point out that alternative costumes or characters in fighters used to be unlockables and not sold as DLC they start braying on about entitlement, because there younger so they don't understand how 2+ decades of having something before suddenly dropping off a cliff can shape a person's view of content.

All it takes for you to realise this is one good game, for me it was Deep Rock Galactic. Once I played that it was utterly eye opening, its not me after all its the games that are shit. Just because so many these days don't have standards does not mean you don't have to, deep down they know it too, just admitting that would be admitting there idiots for buying into these things again and again, the sunk cost fallacy takes them sadly.

Its the right of the old folks like us to have a good moan, because quite frankly out stuff is always going to be better 😉

Last edited:

Wildebeest

Hard to say what is going on here exactly. A large part of this sort of game is the community, and a mega popular game with anonymous drop in gameplay just isn't going to provide that. But a community also doesn't form around a game that is just about seeing a few flashy set pieces then grinding out the achievements/gear drops before moving on. I feel that the natural next step for games like Battlefield is a larger scale combined arms game like Planetside with a persistent world. But that sort of game is hard to make and a big risk.

Guilty_AI

You know, what i really hate about threads and posts like this is that, while you're complaining about having no good games, here i am drowning in wishlists and backlogs, unable to play through everything i want to.

So many stuff i want to go through but got no time or energy for. I remember starting a game december last year and only being able to finish june this year. Then started another game in july and only finished this month. Recently started sekiro and i honestly wouldn't be surprised if i only beat it next year.

Not to mention a whole lot of games that i think look really fun that can be played forever like Factorio, Bannerlord, Stormworks, KSP, but i don't bother starting or even buying because i know i wouldn't be able to spend the time with them.

EDIT: Heck, even forgot to mention my tale of playing Divinity Original Sin 2 with my friends. Took us more than 2 years to beat it. All because on top of us having no time, our schedules had trouble matching.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
I disagree man. You’ve got games like Dread where you can try various different speed runs/unlock things in any order, great and tight mechanics. A game like Halo Infinite which is mechanically sound and balanced, I’ll be playing regularly for 5 years. Also games like Monster Hunter and From games (botw too) can be played multiple times with different styles/different self assigned rules etc.

Gaming is pretty great.

Last edited:

protonion

Yes

-open world nature of many modern games makes them a chore for even one play through

-lack of truly amazing games. We get great games but for me most are stuck in the 7-8 range. Only the 9s and 10s are replayable and they are very rare.

-focus on realism kills fun gameplay mechanics

Just focus on indie games and retro games up to ps2 era.

Arcadialane

Agreed.
How about instead of padding out a 20 hour game into a 60 hour game, you make an amazing 20 hour games that has a ton of replay value that you'll want to play at least 3 times making total playing time 60+ hours anyway?

Nah screw that, just pad pad pad! We need more padding! Fill up that map right now!

Ah there we go, beautiful. Gamers are gonna love all of that paddi, uh, I mean, legitimate great content!:
CSX8jx1W0AEMu_J.jpg

eikspeky7wbz.jpg

Last edited:

CeeJay

OP, might be worth giving some examples of the types of games that A) You enjoyed re-playing previously B) The games you are playing now that prompted you to post?

Last edited:

DavidGzz

I know what you mean but I thinks it's the fact that we got older. I can still get addicted to certain games. Elden Ring will be my next addiction.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Seriously who wants to replay a campaign?

You know what's gonna happen and you've seen it before.

And yes I have the same opinion about movies and TV shows.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Seriously who wants to replay a campaign?

You know what's gonna happen and you've seen it before.

And yes I have the same opinion about movies and TV shows.

Haha ya I am the same way. After beating a campaign when I realize to get the true ending I have to put it on ultra hardcore difficulty and replay the whole game again I go straight to youtube to watch the alternate ending.

BbMajor7th

I have two characters on Nioh 2 and one of them is already on NG+ - I grant you that the gaming landscape has changed, but I'm not sure this take carries all that much water.

Interfectum

How about instead of padding out a 20 hour game into a 60 hour game, you make an amazing 20 hour games that has a ton of replay value that you'll want to play at least 3 times making total playing time 60+ hours anyway?

Nah screw that, just pad pad pad! We need more padding! Fill up that map right now!

Ah there we go, beautiful, gamers are gonna love all of that paddi, uh, I mean, legitimate great content!:
CSX8jx1W0AEMu_J.jpg

eikspeky7wbz.jpg
There are plenty of 20 hour games without padding.

Why are you looking at AAA open world games if you don't want all of that shit? There are plenty of games that exist outside of that realm.

Some old games have replay value, some don't.

Some new games have replay value, some don't.

It's up to you which ones you choose to play.
I could play the old Silent Hills over and over again. The atmosphere was great.

Today's games don't do that to me except for TLOU2. I could play that over and over again because it's just that good.

Godot25

Banned
And then you have games that have excellent replay value, like Arkane games and people ignores them...

So...maybe game devs are making so the players will buy them?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I could play the old Silent Hills over and over again. The atmosphere was great.

Today's games don't do that to me except for TLOU2. I could play that over and over again because it's just that good.

People play stuff like From's games over and over, because you can make such different builds and get very different experiences.

OP, your opinion is shit. There are tons of great games for all tastes. I've been gaming since the beginning of home consoles and it's never been better.

It's nostalgia and your mind comparing the best games over 10-20 years (and how you remember them to be, forgetting flaws) with the games that released over the last year or so.

Vagswarm

Even if this is true, there's so many games now that I prefer it this way. Back in the day everyone wasn't complaining about their massive backlogs. On the singleplayer front I typically don't go back to replay a game after it's completed regardless, which is why locking higher difficulties until after you complete them is so annoying (but that's another topic).

But with the insane amount of multiplayer and online games, there's no way this is true. They are made for replayability and have some people playing them for decades.

Last edited:
As someone who generally prefers older/"retro" games (mostly 4th through 6th gen) over modern games.... the premise of this thread is absolute shit. The OP has a bad opinion and he should feel bad. In a way I'm glad this thread has backfired on him.

Generalizations are never good. Not only that but the OP provides no examples whatsoever of what games he likes.

Even the worst of the AAA modern games have something to offer. At a minimum, they offer higher Quality-of-Life and smoother action than games of old. Mechanics have been refined, controls are generally tight and responsive, and the games are often nice to look at.

Yes, stories may be simplistic or borderline dumb, maps/levels/courses and enemies might be poorly designed, and bloated games may be full of menial tasks. So, every gamer should assess for himself/herself if a game is not to their liking in those respects, and if it isn't, then simply don't buy the game.

That's another benefit of modern times -- there are SO MANY ways to assess if a game is for you or not. Written reviews anywhere on the internet from anybody. YouTube videos of gameplay. Etc. In the past, it was a gamble. I didn't have YouTube or even GAF or the trillions of review sites on the internet. My assessment of a game was... going to a grocery store and pretending I was gonna buy something, only to quickly try to read a review on Electronic Gaming Monthly or some magazine like that, until the grocery store owner figured I wasn't buying shit and he would kick me out :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Top Bottom