• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Modern online shooters sucks and are no longer fun.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Battlefield 2042 is made for being a bland cash grab where diversity was the main focus.

Destiny 2 is a grind fest and pvp in it gets old fast because of the lack of unlocks etc in pvp. Pvp doesn't feel rewarding

CoD, which is my favorite online shooter, has implemented sbmm to suck all the fun out of the game.

"oh, so you are great at the game? Let's put you up to the hardcore pros so you get fucked over"

Battle royale is battle royale. Cool for those who want to go on an scavenging adventure, but sucks for fps enjoyers.

Online shooting is fucking dead and I hate it.
I'm too old to do these sweaty matches where I only meet people better than myself that executes me right on sight in sbmm games. It should fucking die.

We need more choices in shooters.

I do get my fun in cod 4 warfare remastered, and in cod wwii even though it can be hard to get matches in the morning.

And yes, I am this guy in the picture.

old-man-yells-at-cloud.001-1536x768.jpeg

Danknugz

last time i had fun in cod was outright cheating my ass off with a buddy in MW2 on 360 using tactical spawn and boosting killstreaks. i know tons of other people were doing it but the idea came to me as an original thought. i think we were probably 3 or 4 weeks early before everyone else started doing it. i got the 1000 stealth bomber kills banner and then never really touched CoD since.

my favorite was boosting to get the EMP and the tactical nuke and make it all like real war by first doing the EMP and then the tactical nuke.

Last edited:

Dr.Morris79

I must be even older, I dont know what sbmm is!

I only play one online game, all of the others just seem like ADHD nightmares.

Hell let loose is where it's at. I'm total shite at it but it's slow, methodical, tactical and just fun.

The_Mike

Third person cinematic narrative action games are where it’s at. I don’t mess with the online shoot bang.
Your personal taste doesn't really have anything to do with the topic has it?

No need to get validation in every thread.
For all the hate, Halo Inifinite get here, I think the gameplay is still pretty damn good. I only play social mp modes though.
Yeah I enjoyed halo infinite but I can read they have stealth put sbmm into the game as well.

The_Mike

I must be even older, I dont know what sbmm is!

I only play one online game, all of the others just seem like ADHD nightmares.

Hell let loose is where it's at. I'm total shite at it but it's slow, methodical, tactical and just fun.
I've looked at it but I fear it's too slow for me sadly. Looks great though!
So, you only play to wreck player worse than you? Or to have some challenge and maybe try to improve yourself?
I don't play ranked competitive. I like a mix between kill and be killed, not only being killed.

Arrogant comment.

You say I'm not allowed to wreck other people, ignoring I am getting wrecked.

I should just get better, but according to your logic why should I play against people better than me, but you at teh same time defend other people from being wrecked?

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
For me the worst offender is every MP game being team or squad based, while some also being "hero based" which is some shit I've grown to hate.

Matchmaking also sucks, just let me choose a server from a list.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
I don't play ranked competitive.
I don't too. Irrelevant to what I wrote playing ranked or not. "Pro" players should have a K/D much higher than you if you kill and die a lot and you will not be matched with them anyway.

Last edited:

The_Mike

Try Squad, Dayz & Hell Let Loose.
These games are way more rewarding than the games you mentioned.
Problem is they are too slow lol.

I enjoy fast games, but I don't enjoy the game only locking me up against players way better than me all the time preventing me from having fun.

Hell let loose is like BF in you have to run alot to be killed or kill as I've seen.

Jaybe

CoD, which is my favorite online shooter, has implemented sbmm to suck all the fun out of the game.

Skill-based matchmaking has been a hugely controversial issue among Call of Duty fans for years, and former developer Josh Menke has finally confirmed that CoD titles have had SBMM as far back as 2007’s Modern Warfare.

Shooting Star GIF

Danknugz

I enjoy fast games, but I don't enjoy the game only locking me up against players way better than me all the time preventing me from having fun.

Hell let loose is like BF in you have to run alot to be killed or kill as I've seen.
try this:
1. make a burner account using 15 day trial or whatever
2. every other match, die over and over again
3. problem solved

The_Mike

I don't too. Irrelevant to what I wrote playing ranked or not.
No, you believe its good to have sbmm so bad people won't get wrecked.

Apparently I am a bad player getting wrecked, but you say I should get better while defending other people getting wrecked.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
Battlefield 2042 is made for being a bland cash grab where diversity was the main focus.

Destiny 2 is a grind fest and pvp in it gets old fast because of the lack of unlocks etc in pvp. Pvp doesn't feel rewarding

Welcome to the world of GAAS, where every game needs 10 different currencies and progression systems.

The old 'pick a map, pick a color, go shoot stuff' is dead. Man Unreal Tournament 2004 or Quake 3 Arena was bananas.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I'm not a pro by any means but I win 3 out of 4 matches in CoD pretty effortlessly. Its not that intense lol people are talking about it like its Quake 3 rocket jumping off walls to hit rails. Its still a casual shooter (with auto aim!); a little situational awareness will go a long way.

Even in Quake Champions, which is more casualized than Quake 3, I would get DECIMATED sometimes because the other players were far above me. I feel that way in CoD maybe 1 out of 100 matches. The SBMM implementation feels pretty accurate.

Rykan

No.
Game about loot is a grind fest. More at Eleven.

"oh, so you are great at the game? Let's put you up to the hardcore pros so you get fucked over"
If you climb too far up, the game will put you back down with appropriately skilled players around your skill level.

Kupfer

Yes, it can be disconcerting when you come from those dopamine-sucking continuous action games where you get crapped on every 20 seconds with badges and XP that want to manipulate you with their SBMM into spending as much time as possible in that game and not in others.

I was at the point you are now and said goodbye to CS:GO and CoD. I don't regret it and find relaxation in the aforementioned titles - which doesn't have to mean boredom. On the contrary, firefights are much more intense, even if less frequent. But it's so much more rewarding to have pushed the enemy off the map after an hour of HLL with your team than to have made 150 kills in CoD to unlock a stupid skin.
Wandering attentively through Chernarus for an hour, always keeping an eye on the surroundings, knowing that you can run into enemies as well as friendlies at any moment, keeping your character alive at all means, satisfies me more than a toxic tryhard match in CS:GO and I definitely sleep better afterwards.
Git gud then I guess. For me, it felt like I couldn't get any better after a certain point. At some point it was just a matter of who flicks faster, moves more frantically, preshoots more. Shit felt unreal.

GL&HF though.

EDIT:
just saying that modern online shooters don't suck per se, but BF and CoD suck nowadays. Just play somthing else.

Last edited:

Kilau

Gold Member
Your personal taste doesn't really have anything to do with the topic has it?

No need to get validation in every thread.
Post on twitter and lock comments if you don't want people to respond. This whole whiny pointless thread is a desperate cry for validation from you.

cry baby GIF

Lady Jane

Banned
puts tinfoil hat on

That's the intention. They don't want it to be fun. Lets review what happened in 2007:

Halo 3 releases and it dominates the Xbox market, like no other game ever has. Halo 3 is still to this day the only console game to be the most played game for three fucking years in a row. And you know the only game that came close that? Halo 2 for two years. So that's pretty good right? Any sane company that looks at this game, they're going to take a spyglass at it to make sure it's retain it's success...right? But was it really good for Microsoft? Lets look at the details.

Microsoft wants every customer to keep buying software consistently. That was not happening for Halo 3. People played Halo 3 for the matchmaking and stayed for the custom games. All night, they played with their friends and had fun. But you know what they weren't doing? Buying other games. Uh oh, we have a problem. The game is too good.

Just look at Gary's Mod and Team Fortress 2. These games are over a decade old and still have a population that companies would kill people to have, games that don't have any modern practices like season passes, SBMM, etc. Why hasn't this model been chased like no other? Because Valve is private and in private companies, money is king. In public companies, consistent growth is king. It keeps the stock flowing. Putting all your eggs in one quarter (even if it brings more money) doesn't look good on the stock market. "Fun" games are cancer to these public companies and they will fall on their sword to avoid it. They are making these games down to a science. They are exactly good enough to get you to buy the game but not good enough to keep you playing because they need you to move on.

Yeah I enjoyed halo infinite but I can read they have stealth put sbmm into the game as well.
I guess I don't mind that as much as it does usually match me up with others at my level, a bit above or below.

I rarely get matches where I felt that it wasn't winnable, other than when I get matched with teammates that are afk for most of the match and giving the other team free kills. When I do get a match where we get smacked, it feels like the other team are actually on comms where I rarely am and rely on the ping system to communicate. Or I get a team that has no goal of actually playing the obejective and is more than likely due to Halo Infinite challenge system encouraging bad teamwork (I've been guilty of this myself).

Playing players that are better than me, helps me to evaluate what I can do better in certain scenarios and has definitely helped me improve for sure. Although I'm nowhere near hardcore, I do want to outplay other players...lol

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Don't know about you but destiny 2 has been the most fun I've had with a shooter or an online game in a while. It isn't a grind if the gameplay is fun.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
So, you only play to wreck players worse than you? Or to have some challenge and maybe try to improve yourself?
Yes. What's the fuckin point of being good at the game if you're always gonna be matched up with people better than you
You get good to flex and look awesome, and also for the game to be more fun. That doesn't happen when the game is consistently trying to make every match a goddamn sweatfest

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Halo Infinites biggest flaw is lack of constant updates.
The gameplay loop is still solid so if you can get over the "i need new stuff" mentality of younger gamers, then you should be having a blast.

Battlefield 4 - Depending on where you live still has active servers.
Battlefield 1 - after it was given away with all the DLC also has servers and quite alot of content.
Battlefield V - For all the hate it got, is actually a pretty good BF game, and is actually still really active.

Rainbow Six Siege - Though you will probably need to have atleast a few friends to play with, randos in Siege basically break your game.

Hunt Showdown - Imma guess this is too slow for you from your previous posts, but its probably one of the best shooters your could play right now. The Atmosphere and tension is next level.

Grand Theft Auto V - Im not joking, find a good TDM or other mode RP server and youll have a blast.

Escape from Tarkov - Its only slow if youre a pussy..........
<- Is a pussy.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I actually hate how every shooter is just about matchmaking now. Let me select servers. I want choice. Don't give me matchmaking only like 99% of modern console shooters do
100% agree my man.

Fbh

Is sbmm different from regular "ranked mode"?
Haven't played shooters in a while but I still play Rocket League weekly and the slow improvement as we raise through the ranks is part of the fun. Right now we are stuck at Platinum 3, whenever we do really well and get to Diamond 1 we start o get wrecked but the challenge of impriving and eventually managing to stay on Diamond is one of the big reasons that keep us playing.

If that's how it is in COD I don't see the issue. Though there should be some casual mode with looser matchmaking.

Yes. What's the fuckin point of being good at the game if you're always gonna be matched up with people better than you
You get good to flex and look awesome, and also for the game to be more fun. That doesn't happen when the game is consistently trying to make every match a goddamn sweatfest
If you're consistently stomping other players, then isn't that guilty of what the OP is talking about. A good fps titles should be providing challenge which means you should be winning and losing matches. Otherwise just play against bots that you can change the difficulty.

Danknugz

puts tinfoil hat on

That's the intention. They don't want it to be fun. Lets review what happened in 2007:

Halo 3 releases and it dominates the Xbox market, like no other game ever has. Halo 3 is still to this day the only console game to be the most played game for three fucking years in a row. And you know the only game that came close that? Halo 2 for two years. So that's pretty good right? Any sane company that looks at this game, they're going to take a spyglass at it to make sure it's retain it's success...right? But was it really good for Microsoft? Lets look at the details.

Microsoft wants every customer to keep buying software consistently. That was not happening for Halo 3. People played Halo 3 for the matchmaking and stayed for the custom games. All night, they played with their friends and had fun. But you know what they weren't doing? Buying other games. Uh oh, we have a problem. The game is too good.

Just look at Gary's Mod and Team Fortress 2. These games are over a decade old and still have a population that companies would kill people to have, games that don't have any modern practices like season passes, SBMM, etc. Why hasn't this model been chased like no other? Because Valve is private and in private companies, money is king. In public companies, consistent growth is king. It keeps the stock flowing. Putting all your eggs in one quarter (even if it brings more money) doesn't look good on the stock market. "Fun" games are cancer to these public companies and they will fall on their sword to avoid it. They are making these games down to a science. They are exactly good enough to get you to buy the game but not good enough to keep you playing because they need you to move on.
this is a good take, thankfully for me im way too old to care about winning based on skill, i also never care about playing higher difficulties in games. im not really a good gamer in the general sense but quite honestly don't give a shit, either a game is fun or it's not,

i find no "dishonor" in cheating in games because i don't live through them and don't take them seriously at all. if it's more fun to cheat, i'll do it. if i can't have that same level of fun, onto the next. although i don't go out of my way to find cheats, don't care enough even for that. i guess im too old for this shit, oh well.

NickFire

I think SBMM does the exact opposite of what you allege. In other words, I think you are complaining that it won't let you make games into a sweatfest for 99% of the other people. :messenger_grinning_smiling:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
If you're consistently stomping other players, then isn't that guilty of what the OP is talking about. A good fps titles should be providing challenge which means you should be winning and losing matches. Otherwise just play against bots that you can change the difficulty.
I'm not advocating for good players to be put in servers with scrubs. The skill distribution should be random and spread out, where regardless of skill you get paired with whos joining. We get to see who's the best and who's the worst in action and the match is not only more fun because of it, but more memorable

Another easy way to solve this is... again, server browsers. People can make servers specifically meant for people who are either scrubs or great at the game, and servers for people all in-between. The skill based matchmaking makes itself except with server browsers, players can opt out and join any random server if they desire

Top Bottom