• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Modern Vintage Gamer: Xbox changed my life

I had one, but was never into the original Xbox much. I know it was the most powerful, but it lacked the games I was interested in compared to the PS2 and GameCube.

But, the 360 was legit, especially the first few years.

Last edited:

nush

360 changed my life, wouldn't be living in China now if it was not for that console. Also I came to the realization eventually that it is my favorite console now, even though I thought a few older machines would hold that spot in perpetuity.

Well done Microsoft.

Artistic

Wanted a Gamecube during holiday 2001. Mom came home with a Xbox, Shrek, and Simpsons Hit and Run on Christmas Day lol. Already had a PS2 and some quality titles so I was still invested into them then.

Bought Halo CE a week later and the rest is history.

Xbox definitely changed my life as well.

Last edited:
360 changed my life, wouldn't be living in China now if it was not for that console. Also I came to the realization eventually that it is my favorite console now, even though I thought a few older machines would hold that spot in perpetuity.

Well done Microsoft.
Consider me intrigued.

For me it was kinda the same. Pursued a Computer Engineering master's so I could get into video game development. Never did though, but still, my love for gaming thanks to Xbox at the time made me follow this path. Not only that, but it also helped my English abilities tremendously, to the point that I can say that it also helped me move to China (due to my experience and english).

The green "little" guy changed my life.

Excess

Bought one because I was still salty about Sega folding their hand on the Dreamcast and allowing the PS2 to completely dominate the console space, so I fully embraced the Xbox as a competitor. I currently own a modded one.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I picked up the OG Xbox when the JSRF/Sega GT bundle released. Also picked up Jedi Outcast with it. It was an amazing time. Alongside the PS2 it was some of the best gaming ever.

nush

Consider me intrigued.

I was working for a videogame accessory company and before the launch of the 360 we were one of the few companies that were granted a license to product 3rd party accessories. The 360 used a security chip to lock out unlicensed controllers. It was absolutely imperative that we had our products on the shelf of US retailers for 360 launch day AND as a bonus beat Madcatz to launch.

So one day our CEO called me up from the US office and said "We need the Benz Nush in China". I'd never been there before, I asked him what he wanted me to do and he just replied "Do your thing". That was it, that was all the instruction I was given.

So I get to the office in China 2 days later and in the engineering department is all this prototype Xbox 360 equipment, console wasn't even out yet and here it was and I had access to it. The 360 launch was so seat of Microsofts pants that all the technical documentation had not been fully completed and was a work in progress. I had a direct line to the accessories department head at Microsoft to report issues and for clarification. There's a lot of stuff in that documentation that I personally discovered and reported, including fixes.

It was supposed to be a two week trip and it ended up being seven weeks. I loved the place and being able to cut right to the metal with the Chinese engineers instead of dealing with timezone, emails and phone calls from the UK.

Anyway, 2 years later I'm hired to work in China as the man on the ground for one of the biggest accessory based products of all time. I already had good contacts at Microsoft so that helped a lot, Sony, Nintendo not so much they were virtually hands off in a "we'll get back to you" kind of way.

tusharngf

I played original HALO on xbox along with doom. Later i got fx5200 and then i sold that xbox to a local cafe guy. He was drooling over ninja gaiden's graphics.

Banned

I was working for a videogame accessory company and before the launch of the 360 we were one of the few companies that were granted a license to product 3rd party accessories. The 360 used a security chip to lock out unlicensed controllers. It was absolutely imperative that we had our products on the shelf of US retailers for 360 launch day AND as a bonus beat Madcatz to launch.

So one day our CEO called me up from the US office and said "We need the Benz Nush in China". I'd never been there before, I asked him what he wanted me to do and he just replied "Do your thing". That was it, that was all the instruction I was given.

So I get to the office in China 2 days later and in the engineering department is all this prototype Xbox 360 equipment, console wasn't even out yet and here it was and I had access to it. The 360 launch was so seat of Microsofts pants that all the technical documentation had not been fully completed and was a work in progress. I had a direct line to the accessories department head at Microsoft to report issues and for clarification. There's a lot of stuff in that documentation that I personally discovered and reported, including fixes.

It was supposed to be a two week trip and it ended up being seven weeks. I loved the place and being able to cut right to the metal with the Chinese engineers instead of dealing with timezone, emails and phone calls from the UK.

Anyway, 2 years later I'm hired to work in China as the man on the ground for one of the biggest accessory based products of all time. I already had good contacts at Microsoft so that helped a lot, Sony, Nintendo not so much they were virtually hands off in a "we'll get back to you" kind of way.
Damn, that's super interesting. Can you help a brother here, I'm stuck in this Java hellhole.

Jk
No I'm not, pls help

Last edited:
Top Bottom