• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Modern warfare 2 has forced cross play between pc and Xbox, playstation can opt out

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Call of duty has gotten cross play since modern warfare 2019 reboot, but it looks like pc and Xbox are forced to cross play, while playstation can opt out.

Given how close Activision and Microsoft are now, especially close to a acquisition, it seems odd that playstation is the only platform that can opt out, like if its a paid exclusive feature.

Microsoft doesn't force cross play, so it should be as easy to opt out on xbox as well.

I couldn't find a thread about it so if it's already been discussed then I apologise.

https://www.theloadout.com/call-of-duty-modern-warfare-2/crossplay

The_Mike

Not a good article.

On Xbox you can turn off CrossPlay in your console settings.

I guess you made a clickbait title, as Xbox can opt out.
While being true, people have been complaining about not being able to find matches at all, because not many people have disabled it under the console settings.

You will only be matched against people who has done this, and since it's on by default, then there's probably not that many people playing with.

I tried it with chivalry 2 which ended in not finding a game after ten minutes. Turned it on again and found a game within seconds.

Last edited:
Not a good article.

On Xbox you can turn off CrossPlay in your console settings.

I guess you made a clickbait title, as Xbox can opt out.
I tried this on older titles and it basically leaves you searching for a lobby indefinitely. This was when the games were popular at the time so it should have worked ok.

I’ll be doing this on PS5 later. I don’t want to get stuck in with any potential cheaters on PC.

jaysius

Banned
I tried this on older titles and it basically leaves you searching for a lobby indefinitely. This was when the games were popular at the time so it should have worked ok.

I’ll be doing this on PS5 later. I don’t want to get stuck in with any potential cheaters on PC.
You realize you'll have the same issue on PS5 as you'll be searching in a smaller pool.

Pelta88

When I'm playing MW2 on XBOX Series X and get head shotted through a wall by a PC cheater. And realise that I can't turn off cross play.

Best-Cry-Ever.gif

Last edited:

Mr Moose

Xbox uses the Windows platform so technically... Yeah it's fucking stupid not having an in game toggle. Also, why does that shit need to be on in ground war-type modes even on PS?

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
If there's one thing that playing Apex Legends has taught me, it's that games can be balanced between console and PC. If they've balanced pad/KB&M properly, everyone should be able to play together just fine.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
When I'm playing MW2 and get head shotted by a better player. And don't want to admit it and try to blame crossplay before remembering that MW2 requires a phone number to be linked on PC.

Best-Cry-Ever.gif
Fixed that for you. The number of PC players willing to risk never being able to play the game again just to dunk on you is gonna be very small.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Opted out of cross play today. Opted out of the entire franchise tomorrow.

Seems like a first step when cross play with PlayStation isn’t a priority.

Last edited:

The_Mike

Everyone blaming cheaters while the real answer is mouse and keyboard>controllers.
This is the real answer.

Keyboard and mouse can easily outdo controllers, and people who has never used that has a hard time to understand how crippling a controller is compared to a mouse.

Seeing being killed by a mouse user can look like cheat when in reality you just aim with your wrist an entire palm.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
This is the real answer.

Keyboard and mouse can easily outdo controllers, and people who has never used that has a hard time to understand how crippling a controller is compared to a mouse.

Seeing being killed by a mouse user can look like cheat when in reality you just aim with your wrist an entire palm.
While somewhat true I have run into 2 cheaters grouped together who were on PC as the play of the game at the end showed one using the single shot DMR getting 3 kills instantly locking onto his target

Besides I don't mind actually playing against PC user because of KBM because if they are in my skill range thanks to SBMM I still wont run into COD Pros but I want crossplay disabled because of cheats that Ricochet doesnt catch

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

Jaybe

Given how close Activision and Microsoft are now, especially close to an acquisition, it seems odd that playstation is the only platform that can opt out, like if its a paid exclusive feature.
FYI Microsoft and Activision being publicly traded need to operate as two completely separate companies pursuing their own companies’ interests until the deal is approved and closed.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
PC still has a massive advantage even after aim assist so you are just sounding like someone who's completely ignorant of that fact.
Yes and no, again. In turning speeds and far range, yes. Close to medium range, not really. If I am wrong, pls explain.

Last edited:
PC still has a massive advantage even after aim assist so you are just sounding like someone who's completely ignorant of that fact.
Have you ever actually played COD, because this is not the case at all. Hell I switched to kbm and then switched back to controller less than a month later because movement and a lot of the shooting felt like shit using a keyboard and mouse. FAL felt good with a mouse but when they nerfed that and I went back to my usual setup I went back to controller.

Good luck finding a match.

This is fucking BS. Cheaters ruin the experience for Xbox players.
The fuck are you on about? The whole reason this game isn't playable on Steam Deck by default is DUE to anti cheat. That isn't an excuse anymore!

Last edited:
Have you ever actually played COD, because this is not the case at all. Hell I switched to kbm and then switched back to controller less than a month later because movement and a lot of the shooting felt like shit using a keyboard and mouse. FAL felt good with a mouse but when they nerfed that and I went back to my usual setup I went back to controller.
They've clearly not seen the backlash Halo got with the auto aim BS gamepad players add to the mix.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
The cliche of how big of an advantage KBM has doesn't near hold true anymore.

Saw a stat a couple of weeks ago out of the top 20 COD pro money earners so far in 2022 something like 17 of them were on controller though I dont recall the exact number is was a huge % were on controller

sainraja

Lol The_Mike The_Mike , only you can find something like this and spin it somehow to blame it on PlayStation. Now, if that [what you are saying] ends up being true it will certainly be an odd thing for Sony/PlayStation to enforce ONLY on competing platforms and I see no benefit in this for PS because they have the larger player base (right now anyway); specially when they didn't want to do cross play with consoles initially....it doesn't really add up.

Not everything is Sony's fault. You need to relax. Breathe.

As someone else has already mentioned, Xbox lets you do that at a system level. That might possibly be a reason why....but to me it doesn't make sense either.

Last edited:

Pelta88

Fixed that for you. The number of PC players willing to risk never being able to play the game again just to dunk on you is gonna be very small.

confused-what.gif

There are threads on reddit as we speak with PC cheaters having an absolute blast and exchanging PC hacks. The hell are you talking about? "Willing to risk" Those guys are live and active while others work on the best hacks and spoofs to get around any system checks.

I'm honestly kinda shocked by your post. But if you truly believe what your saying lets make a year long avatar bet that in a month I can show you cheat MW2 cheat compilation vids.

Call of duty has gotten cross play since modern warfare 2019 reboot, but it looks like pc and Xbox are forced to cross play, while playstation can opt out.

Given how close Activision and Microsoft are now, especially close to a acquisition, it seems odd that playstation is the only platform that can opt out, like if its a paid exclusive feature.

Microsoft doesn't force cross play, so it should be as easy to opt out on xbox as well.

I couldn't find a thread about it so if it's already been discussed then I apologise.

https://www.theloadout.com/call-of-duty-modern-warfare-2/crossplay
PC nerds can’t wait to hack and manipulate the game. Most of them are trash with a mouse and keyboard so they use modded controllers

Ummm. I'll test this later. If true, that's total bs. M&K generally has a huge advantage over controller users in fps, which is why lobbies are separated
It probably matters more when you climb the ranks, but the advantage is not as big as one would think. Even for Halo, I have good games and bad. Chances are I've lost against plenty of console opponents. That being said, M&KB is an option on Xbox and Playstation. So it's not like you can't use it as well.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
confused-what.gif

There are threads on reddit as we speak with PC cheaters having an absolute blast and exchanging PC hacks. The hell are you talking about? "Willing to risk" Those guys are live and active while others work on the best hacks and spoofs to get around any system checks.

I'm honestly kinda shocked by your post. But if you truly believe what your saying lets make a year long avatar bet that in a month I can show you cheat MW2 cheat compilation vids.
I mean you can show them now from the beta. But bans aren't as toothless - they can't just make another account and fire it up again. Of course there will be some people who cheat, just as there are people who hook up those weird rumble cheating devices to consoles - but there will be few who are willing to risk a ban to an account that is tied to their phone number and their copy of the game.

Top Bottom