• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Modern Warfare 2 is selling double what the series used to on PC (Steam & Battlenet)

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

Modern Warfare 2 is selling double what the series used to on PC.

What changed on PC this year? Surely some of the increase can be attributed to enthusiasm around the Modern Warfare series, but the true culprit is Steam.

Modern Warfare 2 is the first Call of Duty to launch on Steam in five years. Starting with Black Ops 4 in 2018, the last four Calls of Duty (including Warzone) have only existed in the Battle.net client on PC. Thankfully, Modern Warfare 2 isn't one of those "launches another launcher" deals either: hitting play on Steam gets right into the game.

Activision has decided to share the wealth with Valve once again, and it's apparently paying off. Modern Warfare 2 has been at the top of Steam's top seller list since launch, and it's also been a consistent top-fiver of Steam's most-played list with a daily peak of around 200,000 players. That's not a total tally of people logging onto the game, mind you, just a peak concurrent number.

Since its October 28 launch, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II has set new records for our largest franchise, becoming the fastest premium Call of Duty release to cross $1 billion in sell-through. Sales have been robust across all platforms, including on PC, where unit sell-through to date is approximately twice the level of recent strong titles in the series. Modern Warfare II has set new franchise engagement records for a premium Call of Duty release, with hours played in the first 10 days more than 40% above the prior franchise record.

Assaulty

I think a lot of the veterans/oldies that started on 360/ps3 as teens, with more disposable income now and with how easy it's become, have migrated over to the PC over the years. I did the same last year and it was the best thing I could've done to recindle my love for gaming.

bender

What time is it?
It seems like just yesterday...

wwx5exndw6b11.png

Pakoe

Gold Member
Last edited:

Sanepar

They should stop ban people for nothing. Had my accounted shadow banned saturday and I can"t play the game and they don't tell why they did that.
I'm trying a refund by Steam since I can't play the game.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Consoles are getting dropped as more and more people migrate to pc.

It will be interesting to see what the saturation point of consoles is this gen.

gothmog

Gold Member
Consoles are getting dropped as more and more people migrate to pc.

It will be interesting to see what the saturation point of consoles is this gen.
Nonsense. Sony announced that MW2 was their biggest launch ever of a CoD game including preorders and day one sales. MW2 resonated well with consumers and it launching on Steam is attractive to many people. Steam also ha good visibility around concurrent players which helps understand how popular a game is.

HTK

Banned
I think this has less to do with Steam but more to do with them actually having crossplay and competent PC ports.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Nonsense. Sony announced that MW2 was their biggest launch ever of a CoD game including preorders and day one sales. MW2 resonated well with consumers and it launching on Steam is attractive to many people. Steam also ha good visibility around concurrent players which helps understand how popular a game is.

Yeah but loads of those sales will be on ps4. I'm talking that it will be interesting to see if more and more people move to pc over the coming years.

There's going to be enough of a userbase that will pick up the ps5 so we won't see it until the end of the gen. Where we may see a sharper tail on decline of sales. Say once Sony get to 80 or 90 million sales.

gothmog

Gold Member
Yeah but loads of those sales will be on ps4. I'm talking that it will be interesting to see if more and more people move to pc over the coming years.

There's going to be enough of a userbase that will pick up the ps5 so we won't see it until the end of the gen. Where we may see a sharper tail on decline of sales. Say once Sony get to 80 or 90 million sales.
Who knows how long they will keep it crossgen? Given that CoD runs on everything from a toaster up in the PC world they could just keep releasing for PS4/Xbox One until a real financial reason to stop supporting it comes up.

I would guess we will see more consoles sold this generation than ever, but I think it will be more spread out over different devices. I could be wrong but it seems like gaming is only becoming bigger rather than smaller. I would guess that all boats rise here because of demand.

I would also say this is why Sony is so defensive on this. There's a lot of money related to CoD.

Last edited:

Kacho

Gold Member
Imagine the boost World of Warcraft would get if they put it on Steam.

Ubisoft must be counting down the days until their EGS exclusivity deal expires.

Well, every COD outsells the previous one, so I do not get why this is newsworthy. For real, do we have to compare the MW series to the Vanguard? Rofl.

Hooks

They should stop ban people for nothing. Had my accounted shadow banned saturday and I can"t play the game and they don't tell why they did that.
I'm trying a refund by Steam since I can't play the game.
You can't get vacced and get a refund lmao

Activision Blizzard is the one who’s comparing and highlighting it.
of course a company would point out growth in sales (which is true, it sold more).
What is not true though, is the steam fanboys' claim that the growth is due to the steam release. No, it is due to being modern warfare.

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
With COD now selling so well on Steam, if they make another Battlefield, do you think they'll put it on Steam without requiring a separate launcher as well?

Last edited:

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
of course a company would point out growth in sales (which is true, it sold more).
What is not true though, is the steam fanboys' claim that the growth is due to the steam release. No, it is due to being modern warfare.

Twice the sales is not something you can just handwave as “due to being modern warfare”, considering they went out of their way to namedrop PC and not stop at “Sales have been robust across all platforms”.

Last edited:

KingT731

Thing is Vanguard sold poorly for CoD. For example MW2 had already outsold Vanguard's sales for the last year in Europe after like 2 weeks.

I have experienced Warzone and Vanguard via the Blizzard launcher and it is definitely a more streamlined experience playing MW2 via Steam.

Obviously, one or two mouse clicks less isn't exactly life changing - but it's quicker getting into the game as well...at least in my experience.

Top Bottom