• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monkey Island, Terminator actor Earl Boen has died

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
AA163Zse.img

Boen's first videogame credit, according to his MobyGames page, was on the 1995 adventure Shannara. He followed that up over the next decade with roles in games including Zork: Grand Inquisitor, Return to Krondor, Star Trek: Voyager – Elite Force, Soldier of Fortune, Metal Gear Solid 2, Fallout Tactics, Icewind Dale 2, Call of Duty, Psychonauts, and World of Warcraft.

His best-known game role, though, was as the villainous undead pirate captain LeChuck, which he first portrayed in The Curse of Monkey Island in 1997 (which was also the first game in the series to have full voiceovers). His final appearance in the series was in Telltale's Tales of Monkey Island, released in 2009; he was asked to reprise the role in last year's Return to Monkey Island, but declined "because he's retired and he's getting older," Monkey Island creator Ron Gilbert told Adventure Gamers.
A cause of death was not provided, but a Variety report says Boen was diagnosed with stage four lung cancer in the fall of 2022. He was 81 years old.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

What the fuck, I didn't know he played LeChuck. I've played all Monkey Island games. How did I not know this? Rest in peace old man, and thank you for all the great memories of that series (and of course Terminator)

xrnzaaas

I never knew he played LeChuck, but he was great in Terminator 2. I wish he got an extra scene in T3 assuming the rumors about 9/11 forcing the Judgment Day to be less brutal in the movie are true.

PJX

This year isn't going for a great start. Is this the third famous guy this year ?

RIP man

Already more than 3. Wyllie Longmore from Coronation Street just died also. This year have been to a rough start already.

R.I.P. Earl

RIP Terenas Menethil. His voice work in World of Warcraft was extremely well done.

Nothing will ever top this. Chills every time.

His delivery in this cutscene is truly legendary. I am so sad to hear he's gone. Guy has had pretty major parts in a lot of my favorite media going back to my childhood. Rest easy Earl.

Such an impressive oeuvre. You'll be missed, Earl. Thanks for the years of impressive roles and talent, you're leaving behind an amazing legacy and have earned your rest for sure.

Top Bottom