• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monochrome Mobius (Utawarerumono) launches September 8th for PC Worldwide, PS5/PS4 in Japan

YukiOnna

Next Utawarermono comes with simultaneous release on Steam.
Set between Utawarerumono 1 and Mask of Deception with Oshtor as protagonist.
Synopsis:
In the small province of Ennakamuy, on the frontiers of the great empire of Yamato, there lived a young man with his mother and sister. One day, at the local lord's behest, the young man was investigating a small irregularity when he encountered a girl he’d never met.
The words the girl spoke were what shocked him: She told the man that his father was still alive.
Seeing a trace of his father in her and resolving to learn the truth, the young man and the girl set out together towards the land of Arva Shulan—a country that doesn’t appear on the map.

Faced with trials and perils, the boy chases his father.
He meets new friends and comrades who join him on his mission.
There will be struggles and victories and failures and partings.
The fickle vagaries of fate will place an epoch in the young man’s hands—

And one day, this man will be sung of in legends.
Trailer

Opening

Field & Event

Monochrome-Mobius-Rights-and-Wrongs-Forgotten_2022_04-25-22_027.jpg

CamHostage

OK, I've got to ask and I don't want to Google it because I don't want to have to read the anime fan's answer to this question... what is the connection between Monochrome Mobius and Undawatereyromono?

Is this a thing where Aquaplus doesn't have full rights to the brand and is doing its own doujin work, or is this a spin-off franchise? (Is Monochrome a thing elsewhere and I've just never heard that name before?)

YukiOnna

OK, I've got to ask and I don't want to Google it because I don't want to have to read the anime fan's answer to this question... what is the connection between Monochrome Mobius and Undawatereyromono?

Is this a thing where Aquaplus doesn't have full rights to the brand and is doing its own doujin work, or is this a spin-off franchise? (Is Monochrome a thing elsewhere and I've just never heard that name before?)
I don't think the developers gave an answer yet. But they said they wanted to depict the story in between the first game and 2nd one and this would be it. Aquaplus own the IP though and this is the franchises 20th anniversary title.

My own personal guess is: Probably because there is no Masked Protagonist like Haku and Hakuoro and it's Oshtor

Pejo

Production values are a big step up. I've owned the Utawarerumono games for a while now and still haven't even installed them.

YukiOnna

Looks pretty good, but i'm not so fond of Oshtor, Munechika etc. I want continuation of Mask's crew story :(
Unfortunately for you, they are already planning a sequel for this... but they also have a prequel chapter in the works with young Tuskur and the original Hakuoro.

Thief1987

Unfortunately for you, they are already planning a sequel for this... but they also have a prequel chapter in the works with young Tuskur and the original Hakuoro.
Yeah i understand this. For me it's a very strange approach - why you need to jump all over timeline instead of just, you know, move it forward.

YukiOnna

Yeah i understand this. For me it's a very strange approach - why you need to jump all over timeline instead of just, you know, move it forward.
It seems to me they view FnH/Mask of Truth as the end of it, which I don't really like. They mentioned how Yamato would fall into dark times and Haku's job isn't done so I'd like to see it. We had a really short after story in ZAN 2, as well.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Just watched the trailer, WTF this is so much my thing, can't believe I didn't know this series existed till now, c definitely getting it, it's gonna be a new storyline, right? So I don't need to play the previous ones (if I like it enough, I'll play those later)

YukiOnna

Just watched the trailer, WTF this is so much my thing, can't believe I didn't know this series existed till now, c definitely getting it, it's gonna be a new storyline, right? So I don't need to play the previous ones (if I like it enough, I'll play those later)
This is more a prequel so you can jump in, yes. I highly recommend the trilogy if you ever have the time though.

KàIRóS

Damn somehow I totally missed this was coming out, I'm so in day 1, Utawarerumono deserves so much more attention.

Battle system looks like Grandia but without the whole moving around in the battlefield, sounds fun.

Graciaus

So I've had this on my wishlist on Steam for awhile but I just added it since it was a new jrpg without really looking at it. Imagine my surprise when it's actually a new Utawarermono game.

Between a new anime airing right now and now a new game not a bad time to be a fan.

Top Bottom