• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Rise Coming to Current-Gen Consoles and Game Pass in 2023

Big if true… please be true! 🙏
I once got suspended from the other forum for port begging by saying “it’ll be nice if they bring Rise to PS5” 😂

Anyways, Rise looks legit, but after spending 1000 hours on World, I didn’t see myself both: spending another 1000 hours right away on another similar game and getting 720p sub-30fps.

Now, enough time has passed that I’m ready to dive again. Hopefully this helps until a proper World 2 or MH6 gets announced and released.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Anyways, Rise looks legit, but after spending 1000 hours on World, I didn’t see myself both: spending another 1000 hours right away on another similar game and getting 720p sub-30fps.
It's a quicker game, shouldn't take 1000 hours unless you really get into the end game grind. Googling says that on Switch docked it was 756p 30, not that different to Xbox One's 864p uncapped ~30 (more often than not less) for World. Played both on PC myself though so can't comment on either.

Last edited:

demigod

It doesn't matter if it's on PC or not, it's a game designed for Switch hardware a very old and outdated hardware tools, the game looks way inferior than MHW that released way earlier.
This right here folks. The PC version did nothing graphics wise, it still look like shit because it’s a switch game. Do y’all honestly think them porting to consoles will make it look better than PC? Lol.

The game is fun tho. I recommend you get an 8bitdo pro controller if you’re going Longsword.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
This game is soo much better than world. I’m glad my perception of greet isn’t marred only by graphics.

This right here folks. The PC version did nothing graphics wise, it still look like shit because it’s a switch game. Do y’all honestly think them porting to consoles will make it look better than PC? Lol.

The game is fun tho. I recommend you get an 8bitdo pro controller if you’re going Longsword.
Ah this isn’t totally true. They updated the textures for 4k, added a bunch of lighting options, depth of field, DLSS, HDR support. I mean it has switch game bones, but if you compare the two the pc version is a notable step up.. they definitely put work into the pc version, not to mention the obvious performance and framerate improvements. Would be interesting to see if they take that a step further for this console release.

Even if they don’t, it’s a perfectly fine looking game, and it’s on capcoms RE engine so in some ways it looks a little cleaner than Monster Hunter World.. really makes you wonder what a proper next gen MH game would look like on this engine.

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
glad i stop my progress on MHR switch, the frame rate is atroucious on switch after played MHW on PS5.

Last edited:

F31 Leopard

Rise works the same way with a useless LR grind. Pretty much all the flaws you pin on World has Rise aswell. What World has but Rise doesn't are marvelous monster fights such as Rajang, Alatreon, Safi and Fatalis. Rise has nothing close to this. Turning the hunter into a coked up Spider-Man just removes any sense of underdog position. Feels like hitting helpless MMO mobs most of the time.
Not exactly. The Teostra video I made criticizing the AI in World is from an 8* High Rank. I tried replicating that in Rise and the AI does not behave that way. I do agree with you to a certain extent on the added mobility trivializing monsters but I think that's more of a balancing issue. Capcom gave way too much utility to the player without making any real adjustments to the monster behavior. I experimented and played "classic style" without using switch skills, wirefall etc. and monster difficulty does more or less fall in line with old gen MH. Don't get me wrong World is an alright MH game so the "garbage" comment was a little extreme. I do think Risebreak is the better and more fun to play game overall between them.

Which they were able to scale down for a Switch release in Rise. Most of the core systems are the same. But not the environments.
??? What? Rise has more in common with the old MHs, it just borrows some of the QoL from World. They play very differently. If Rise was developed for a more powerful platform in mind it would be much, much closer to how World plays.

F31 Leopard

All of this plus it feels incredibly slow and static once you’ve played Rise for even a minute. Rise has mobility, build variety, play style customization, better enemy designs and I could go on.

Can’t think of a single melee weapon that’s more fun to play in World than Rise. A huge misstep in an otherwise flawless series of games.
I used to be primarily an SnS and CB player. The switch skills turned up the funfactor for melee. I delved in to SWAX in Risebreak and it's my new main. I fired up Worldborne and tried using SWAX and it's not as exciting.

demigod

Ah this isn’t totally true. They updated the textures for 4k, added a bunch of lighting options, depth of field, DLSS, HDR support. I mean it has switch game bones, but if you compare the two the pc version is a notable step up.. they definitely put work into the pc version, not to mention the obvious performance and framerate improvements. Would be interesting to see if they take that a step further for this console release.

Even if they don’t, it’s a perfectly fine looking game, and it’s on capcoms RE engine so in some ways it looks a little cleaner than Monster Hunter World.. really makes you wonder what a proper next gen MH game would look like on this engine.
Those 4k textures still don’t make the game look as good as World, it is still a switch game. You’re better off getting the game on PC then on consoles.

Arsic

Awesome for more people to try it. It’s the only MH and it’s expansion I’ve done to the end. Well almost all of the expansion before other games hit.

I’ve tried world and other entries but they never grabbed me. This is an amazing game and a major win for gamepass.

glad i stop my progress on MHR switch, the frame rate is atroucious on switch after played MHW on PS5.

The inputs are all fucked up and that’s my main complaint about Rise. Can’t tell you how many times it’s dropped my inputs and I missed a combo, that never happened in MHW on my PS4. Although something seemingly broken in both games is the radial menu, does not chug mega potion when I tell it to.

Alexios

3:02, that's a huge downgrade.
I like the part where the video is so sped up to show the day/night cycle you can't even tell that at night it starts raining in Sunbreak's Jungle completely transforming the atmosphere. Also showing scripted area gimmicks as if it's physics driven and everything is as interactive in World but not in Sunbreak, as if they should reuse all these. It's all focused on hey, this thing is in World, is it copy pasted in Sunbreak? Not looking at both objectively. Ie, how is the interactivity you have with pretty much every surface in a level in Sunbreak by being able to climb/jump off/over it, not worth any mention at all, lol? It's everywhere and informs the design of all but nope, that one falling rock you can climb on in World and a similar one you have no collision and fall through in Sunbreak is the one to show, when if you had the latter level design in World you wouldn't even be able to reach there without wirebugs to give you that extra reach. Or hey this rock in World actually leaves a hole leading down to the other part of the level if destroyed, is that in Sunbreak? No silly, it's a new area, but let's show a rock that is just a breakable like most so this doesn't happen. Let's not even show one that is on sand leaving quicksand that works like a pit trap behind but one on solid ground. Let's not even show that bloody hit effects were restored in Sunbreak (and can be optionally reduced as before World), who cares about something you see only constantly in your face in any battle?

Most of these are gameplay bits (who cares, right?) but in 11:56 Espinas does eat those frogs as it wanders the map so that behavior is not something impossible or downgraded or taken out of the game because of Switch as implied by the other comparison even putting it as the thumbnail 🤦‍♂️

Obviously none of these games can be as good as Tri on Wii because they can't handle actual deep water you and the monsters can swim in, yep, it's not different design approaches informing this or that aspect, it's all about downgrades and upgrades and all fail against Wii. Except 3DS & WiiU.

Last edited:

shiru

Banned
Mmm nah, not a fan of hyperbole. The game looks good. Do you think God of War Ascension looks like shit? It's a PS3 game.

lachesis

Well, I wanted to try Monster Hunter (series) another go - so this may be a good starting point if it's going to be on GP.
I tried to play some original PSP ver a couple years back, but didn't seem to click with me.

Hopefully, they built the original game with higher fidelity assets than were used on the Switch. Would be a shame to get this game on PS5/XSX/PC only for it to run with shitty low res textures and low quality, low poly meshes.

Banjo64

cumsessed

Removed, but guessing it was this?

aSavzOm_d.webp

Alexios

Hopefully, they built the original game with higher fidelity assets than were used on the Switch. Would be a shame to get this game on PS5/XSX/PC only for it to run with shitty low res textures and low quality, low poly meshes.
That rock you've been living under must be pretty comfortable, it's only been out for PC for like, all of 2022.

Alexios

WTF has this got to do with my post?

WTF are you on about?

Who are you talking to?
You made a post with hopes and dreams about a PC version (alongside console versions) as if it doesn't already exist so you couldn't easily confirm or forget about said hopes and dreams by it:
I merely informed you that you can check that version, whether by playing it or checking out videos or whatever and see those aspects for yourself since it's been released for almost a year now.

What are you triggered over and trying to backpedal from now, maybe pretend you meant the consoles could get upgrades PC didn't (but will with them)? Your post was too clear for that mate.

Last edited:
You made a post with hopes and dreams about a PC version (alongside console versions) as if it doesn't already exist so you couldn't easily confirm or forget about said hopes and dreams by it:

No. I made a post about hopes and dreams about a console version.

I merely informed you that you can check that version, whether by playing it or checking out videos or whatever and see those aspects for yourself since it's been released for almost a year now.

Ok... but again my post was about the quality of the assets that will be used in the upcoming console port.

The console port has not yet been released yet.

What are you triggered over and trying to backpedal from now, maybe pretend you meant the consoles could get upgrades PC didn't (but will with them)? Your post was too clear for that mate.

I'm not back peddling anything.

I made a post about the quality of assets in an upcoming console port of a game, and you replied with snark about a PC version of the original Switch release that is not the same as the port that will be released on the current-gen consoles.

Your reply was frankly fucking irrelevant to my post. Who the fuck cares about the existing PC version.

Presumably, the upcoming console port will be updated alongside an updated PC version too.

Alexios

And indeed you are backpedaling (peddling is different, but can be used similarly, as in you're peddling bullshit right now) and pretending you meant this version may be further upgraded. I called it. I should play lotto or something. Na, you're just that predictable.
This is the third time I quote your post since you keep misremembering and misrepresenting what you actually wrote and what I actually responded to.
Nowhere did that post acknowledge a PC version exists (or if it it is/not good enough for you) but you hope these will be different and elevate it with them. Just stop. It's just a video game. You didn't know something. You do now. It's ok, it was just a small jab, jeez.

So, yes, you seemed unaware a PC version exists. And is most likely similar to any console version that might be released according to this rumour. So you can check it and see if the graphics are upgraded enough for you or not. Get it yet? No? I don't care, move on.

Last edited:

Kacho

Gold Member

Ok... but again my post was about the quality of the assets that will be used in the upcoming console port.

The console port has not yet been released yet.

I'm not back peddling anything.

I made a post about the quality of assets in an upcoming console port of a game, and you replied with snark about a PC version of the original Switch release that is not the same as the port that will be released on the current-gen consoles.

Your reply was frankly fucking irrelevant to my post. Who the fuck cares about the existing PC version.

Presumably, the upcoming console port will be updated alongside an updated PC version too.
You literally mentioned PC alongside the other consoles in your original post.
Would be a shame to get this game on PS5/XSX/PC only for it to run with shitty low res textures and low quality, low poly meshes.
It's been on PC since January so you can look up footage right now to see what you're gonna get on PlayStation/Xbox.

F31 Leopard

I like the part where the video is so sped up to show the day/night cycle you can't even tell that at night it starts raining in Sunbreak's Jungle completely transforming the atmosphere. Also showing scripted area gimmicks as if it's physics driven and everything is as interactive in World but not in Sunbreak, as if they should reuse all these. It's all focused on hey, this thing is in World, is it copy pasted in Sunbreak? Not looking at both objectively. Ie, how is the interactivity you have with pretty much every surface in a level in Sunbreak by being able to climb/jump off/over it, not worth any mention at all, lol? It's everywhere and informs the design of all but nope, that one falling rock you can climb on in World and a similar one you have no collision and fall through in Sunbreak is the one to show, when if you had the latter level design in World you wouldn't even be able to reach there without wirebugs to give you that extra reach. Or hey this rock in World actually leaves a hole leading down to the other part of the level if destroyed, is that in Sunbreak? Nope, but let's show another rock that is just a breakable like many others and this doesn't happen. Let's not even show one that is on sand leaving quicksand that works like a pit trap behind but one on solid ground. Let's not even show that bloody hit effects were restored in Sunbreak (and can be optionally reduced as before World), who cares about something you see only constantly in your face in any battle?

Most of these are gameplay bits (who cares, right?) but in 11:56 Espinas does eat those frogs as it wanders the map so that behavior is not something impossible or downgraded or taken out of the game because of Switch as implied by the other comparison even putting it as the thumbnail 🤦‍♂️

Obviously none of these games can be as good as Tri on Wii because they can't handle actual deep water you and the monsters can swim in, yep, it's not different design approaches informing this or that aspect, it's all about downgrades and upgrades and all fail against Wii. Except 3DS & WiiU.

In addition Risebreak does not have cold or hot drinks to help streamline hunts meaning the heat exhaustion and cold shivering animation would no longer be needed. In general lots of stuff in Risebreak are streamlined to where you can beeline monsters making the gameplay loop more akin to old gen. Cahoots already implement Autotracker and Caputure Guru skills. I don't get the comparison with the sand trap in Sandy Plains when it's a remastered Tri map. Wildspire is a new one built from the ground up where they had falling down to the cavern below in mind.

Alexios

In addition Risebreak does not have cold or hot drinks to help streamline hunts meaning the heat exhaustion and cold shivering animation would no longer be needed. In general lots of stuff in Risebreak are streamlined to where you can beeline monsters making the gameplay loop more akin to old gen. Cahoots already implement Autotracker and Caputure Guru skills. I don't get the comparison with the sand trap in Sandy Plains when it's a remastered Tri map. Wildspire is a new one built from the ground up where they had falling down to the cavern below in mind.
Basically. I do want the hot/cold effects back though, and the paintballs, or at least have cohoot only track the monster after you first encounter it (which would be easy to spot getting to high places with your wirebugs and wallruns, anyway).

But these are such minor aspects that make up like 0.001% of gameplay in the old games (and it's still better than the follow the green glowing line tracking in World) and would do the same in Rise were they in it, it's just my preference of it.

Last edited:

F31 Leopard

Basically. I do want the hot/cold effects back though, and the paintballs, or at least have cohoot only track the monster after you first encounter it (which would be easy to spot getting to high places with your wirebugs and wallruns, anyway).

But these are such minor aspects that make up like 0.001% of gameplay in the old games (and it's still better than the follow the green glowing line tracking in World) and would do the same in Rise were they in it, it's just my preference of it.
My response was an addition to yours regarding the video comparison that was posted. I was just pointing things out on why is the video comparing certain things when it shouldn't.

Last edited:
And indeed you are backpedaling (peddling is different, but can be used similarly, as in you're peddling bullshit right now) and pretending you meant this version may be further upgraded. I called it. I should play lotto or something. Na, you're just that predictable.

This is the third time I quote your post since you keep misremembering and misrepresenting what you actually wrote and what I actually responded to.

Nowhere did that post acknowledge a PC version exists (or if it it is/not good enough for you) but you hope these will be different and elevate it with them. Just stop. It's just a video game. You didn't know something. You do now. It's ok, it was just a small jab, jeez.

So, yes, you seemed unaware a PC version exists. And is most likely similar to any console version that might be released according to this rumour. So you can check it and see if the graphics are upgraded enough for you or not. Get it yet? No? I don't care, move on.

Look, since you seem to be so dense. Let me make it clear.

I don't give a shit that there is an existing PC version.

My post's intention was about the quality of the assets of this new upcoming console release. How could you know that? Well, that's because it's the very topic of this whole fucking thread.

Did I mention PC? Yes.... Why? Because I evidently didn't know there was an existing released PC version currently. Do I care?... No.

Presumably, the upcoming console version will differ from the PC version that's been already out. Otherwise, the console version would have launched alongside the PC version. That's my assumption, but it's completely tangential to the original point I was discussing (about the upcoming port's asset quality ---- again, in case you still fail to grasp it).

Even if the asset quality in this new port is not different from the current PC version, your puerile comment about the PC version didn't answer my question about the asset quality of that port. You basically said to go check the PC version. I don't have a gaming PC, so I can't. If you have a PC and have that version, then you could have saved us all this hassle and just replied to the fucking question that I actually raised in my original post and enlightened us all on the quality of the assets of that version.

This weird passive-aggressive bickering you're trying to engage in to score fictional argument points, pretending that your original reply added anything of value to the discussion, is just juvenile... it's inane and sort of self-fellating... You should really get over yourself and learn how to engage in a rational discussion like an adult.

Alexios

Did I mention PC? Yes.... Why? Because I evidently didn't know there was an existing released PC version currently. Do I care?... No.

Presumably, the upcoming console version will differ from the PC version that's been already out. Otherwise, the console version would have launched alongside the PC version. That's my assumption, but it's completely tangential to the original point I was discussing (about the upcoming port's asset quality ---- again, in case you still fail to grasp it).

Even if the asset quality in this new port is not different from the current PC version, your puerile comment about the PC version didn't answer my question about the asset quality of that port. You basically said to go check the PC version. I don't have a gaming PC, so I can't. If you have a PC and have that version, then you could have saved us all this hassle and just replied to the fucking question that I actually raised in my original post and enlightened us all on the quality of the assets of that version.

This weird passive-aggressive bickering you're trying to engage in to score fictional argument points, pretending that your original reply added anything of value to the discussion, is just juvenile... it's inane and sort of self-fellating... You should really get over yourself and learn how to engage in a rational discussion like an adult.
beating a dead horse wtf GIF

All that crap just to say "yes you were right to inform me about the PC release, I don't know why I pretended otherwise and tried to pretend that I just meant a new PC version and all that, or why I got so triggered in the first place, but fuck you anyway"🤦‍♂️

Here's another newsflash for you, we have the announcement with videos and there aren't any other graphical improvements. But you admitted you didn't know of that PC version so maybe it's still good enough for you. Clickie click. And please move on...
https://www.neogaf.com/threads/mons...box-and-game-pass-in-january-30-2023.1646813/

Last edited:
beating a dead horse wtf GIF

All that crap just to say "yes you were right to inform me about the PC release, I don't know why I pretended otherwise and tried to pretend that I just meant a new pc version and all that, or why I got so triggered in the first place, but fuck you anyway"🤦‍♂️

Here's another newsflash for you, we have the real announcement with videos and guess what, there aren't any other graphical improvements shown. Clickie click. And please move on.
https://www.neogaf.com/threads/mons...box-and-game-pass-in-january-30-2023.1646813/

Thank you for demonstrating yourself to be one of the most unpleasant posters on the forum. I'll be sure to ignore you moving forwards.

Alexios

Last edited:
Top Bottom