• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Rise PC demo impressions, launching tomorrow on Steam

Pejo

I watched GaijinHunter's preview and a few of Pey's videos above. About what I expected visually. 60+ FPS and good performance is all I really wanted, and both sound great. Shutting off the vignette and Depth of Field are my first two settings changes, but other than that it looks great for an uprezzed Switch game.

When it comes to gameplay it is a much more refined game than world. It truly feels a MH experience. Still, I would expect more for the PC release.

Pejo

Do you think it's possible to do 4k60 with a 2070super?! Even with some setting on high/med?!
I just tried it out with that card, and with the default "custom" graphics settings, I was able to get solid 60FPS at 4k with a 2070Super.

I've been replaying Iceborne while waiting for the PC demo and now that it's here it's just making me miss Lance's clutch counter all over again. You'd think I'd be used to it after playing the Switch version but Lance just feels so clunky without it.

GymWolf

The game is super light, 4k60 max details with a 2070super, i forgot the last time this was possible with non-indie games, bravo capcom.

No exageration, it's literally a different game on pc.

P.s. i have to say, capcom does egregious things with pc portings (at least the ones i played), re2 remake was a delight to run since day one, same with world and now rise.

Last edited:

GymWolf

I was expecting to feel this way, but I don't after playing at 1440p 170. Felt just like the switch game.
I had the bad luck of trying the switch demo while i was playing world on pc so the difference was mind blowing, that's probably why rise on pc feel much better to me.

Just the 60 frames and not having 2005 resolution are a gift from god.

GymWolf

Tbh the gameplay is way better than world
Agree to disagree, i get why people like the wire bug but it feel very op tbh (both the recover thing, the jump with every weapon that cancel the difference in aerial prowess for a lot of weapons, or the 2 wire moves)...and i heard that most people think that rise is the easiest mh ever made also thanks to that, i think clutch claw introducted in iceborne was a good mid point.

Plus, i really don't like the puppet master with monsters nor the battle royale shit they introduced, i liked how monsters interacted between them in world much more.
Also animations\impacts feel slightly worse compared to world, not by much but enough to be noticed.

I like the traversal with the doggo tho and climbing mountains with the wire is fun (although a bit clunky sometimes).

I'm gonna have a final opinion after 100+ hours when the game comes out in january.

I'm just a huge world fanboy since it was my real first mh and i have like 400+ hours on it.

Last edited:

Ezquimacore

Banned
Agree to disagree, i get why people like the wire bug but it feel very op tbh (both the recover thing, the jump with every weapon that cancel the difference in aerial prowess for a lot of weapons, or the 2 wire moves)...and i heard that most people think that rise is the easiest mh ever made also thanks to that, i think clutch claw introducted in iceborne was a good mid point.

Plus, i really don't like the puppet master with monsters nor the battle royale shit they introduced, i liked how monsters interacted between them in world much more.
Also animations\impacts feel slightly worse compared to world, not by much but enough to be noticed.

I like the traversal with the doggo tho and climbing mountains with the wire is fun (although a bit clunky sometimes).

I'm gonna have a final opinion after 100+ hours when the game comes out in january.

I'm just a huge world fanboy since it was my real first mh and i have like 400+ hours on it.
Well you don't have to trust me obviously but I played shit ton of world and rise. World is great too but rise has that hardcore element where you actually need to be good at it. Either way, you gonna have fun with it.

Tried the demo, happy with the performance, and honestly, who the hell gets worked up over a Switch game port and expecting Sony funded graphics.

My only problem with the game, is literally the same problem I face with every game (in the series).

I've no idea what the hell I'm supposed to be doing other than swinging my sword at the target monster and dying every now and then.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Well you don't have to trust me obviously but I played shit ton of world and rise. World is great too but rise has that hardcore element where you actually need to be good at it. Either way, you gonna have fun with it.
I'm sorry but this sound like the opposite of what i tried, the wire bug make rookie mistakes more forgiveable because you can't get knocked down with the wire recover and you don't need to focus on a particular weapon or even search for a ledge to jump because you can jump wherever you want with the bugwire.
And yopu can literally puppet master a monster to do even more damage than how it was in world.

i really fail to see what you see.

Is it the fact that the locations are simple and not multy layered like in world? i liked that shit and if anything it makes the memorizing map skill requested instead of like it is in rise where you find monster in a super easy way from the start.

And that battle royale with all the mess and chaos on screen seems the opposite of what MH 1vs1 combat represent tbh, i hate everything i saw about that mode, it's like picking the worse aspect of MH games and making an entire unskippable mode about that, i know that i'm gonna fucking hate that thing when the game is gonna force it on me.

Personally, the best thing i saw in rise are the doggo, the monsters variations (world had too many samey monsters) and the switchable skills, the last one in particular is cool AF (even better if you have to unlock them, i like having solid progression objectives)

Like i said, i'm gonna wait to have at least 50-100 hours on rise before my final judgement.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I'm sorry but this sound like the opposite of what i tried, the wire bug make rookie mistakes more forgiveable because you can't get knocked down with the wire recover and you don't need to focus on a particular weapon or even search for a ledge to jump because you can jump wherever you want with the bugwire.
And yopu can literally puppet master a monster to do even more damage than how it was in world.

i really fail to see what you see.

Is it the fact that the locations are simple and not multy layered like in world? i liked that shit and if anything it makes the memorizing map skill requested instead of like it is in rise where you find monster in a super easy way from the start.

And that battle royale with all the mess and chaos on screen seems the opposite of what MH 1vs1 combat represent tbh, i hate everything i saw about that mode, it's like picking the worse aspect of MH games and making an entire unskippable mode about that, i know that i'm gonna fucking hate that thing when the game is gonna force it on me.

Personally, the best thing i saw in rise are the doggo, the monsters variations (world had too many samey monsters) and the switchable skills, the last one in particular is cool AF (even better if you have to unlock them, i like having solid progression objectives)

Like i said, i'm gonna wait to have at least 50-100 hours on rise before my final judgement.

I pretty much agree across the board here, I have over 1000 hours in World across multiple platforms and 300 in rise. Rise is a much easier and forgiving game, this might be because it is essentially pre G-Rank expansion of course, however things like Rajang largely down to the wire bug are just easy fights compared to World, he's hardly a threat because every weapon now has extreme mobility at the push of a button.

The other issue is indeed the monster puppeteering, it means in the hundreds of hours I have played I have only seen 5 or so Turf Wars...
I honestly thought they where completely removed before I saw the first.

There are alot of things I like about Rise but the challenge or lack of it, is not one of them. I also honestly feel it just lacks content overall, too many monsters I thought would be in for sure are just missing, and they haven't really beefed up the roster post launch via events as I had hoped.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Lol, like it was with the switch demo, the only effect that rise has on me is making me start yet another fucking run on world...time to finally try the greatsword i guess...

I know it sound crazy, but i just don't like how rise play (or how i play rise), there is something in the animations\input delay or something abstract that makes me play horribly even on pc at 60 frames...

I tried the GS against the weaker monster in rise and hated the weapon, switched to world and i fucked up the first 10 monsters without being touched, maybe it's just trying a demo vs having the complete game with the proper introduction, i remember not liking that much the world demo but then the game was another thing...

Returning to GS for a moment, are the block skill that you usually pick with lance\gunlance useful for the defense move you can do with the GS or they don't apply if you don't have an actual shield?
And what are the most useful skill for the GS? i heard focus is a must have to shorten the charge time of the moves.

Any hint from GS users is welcome.

Last edited:

Polelock

I don't know why but it looks so much more... I don't know how to describe it, maybe polished, than world did? Like it just looks crisp

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill

First monhun experience is hard to beat.
I played several rise is more refined in movement.
World has the best overal improvements.
rise just build on it. Inc best parts from mon hun 4.

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

Played the demo, it certainly runs nice, which seems to be a combo of the move to RE engine and the "switch gfx".
But it felt a bit weird to me, not sure if I'll get it. There seems to be a heavy focus on the wirebug stuff and I don't like how much different mounting is from MHW.
Also really miss the clutch claw tbh.

Might pick it up on some deep sale, or I'll just wait for MHW2.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Played the demo, it certainly runs nice, which seems to be a combo of the move to RE engine and the "switch gfx".
But it felt a bit weird to me, not sure if I'll get it. There seems to be a heavy focus on the wirebug stuff and I don't like how much different mounting is from MHW.
Also really miss the clutch claw tbh.

Might pick it up on some deep sale, or I'll just wait for MHW2.
I personally HATED clutch claw in World, I take wirebug in Rise any day.

Top Bottom