• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Rise (PC Version) |OT| A New Fantastic Point of View

Pejo

This is pretty cool. Los in Rise vs. World. Not bad considering the horsepower difference between PS4 and Switch, but still quite a few less polygons. The textures in the PC version really hide the low poly count in my opinion. The monsters are the best looking things in the game.

7fn03qh9s3d81.png

Haggard

Banned
This is pretty cool. Los in Rise vs. World. Not bad considering the horsepower difference between PS4 and Switch, but still quite a few less polygons. The textures in the PC version really hide the low poly count in my opinion. The monsters are the best looking things in the game.

7fn03qh9s3d81.png
And that's only because they spend the lion's share of their render budget on the monsters. The environments have near zero details and the geometric complexity of a Lego brick....
I mean that is to be expected from a portable game, there is no shame in that, I just don't get why some people pretend not to see it..... Even in this thread.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!

7fn03qh9s3d81.png
Finished looks rad still. His new behavior is fun (ignore the first part of the second video before the timestamp, I don't agree he was boring before, I remember people saying he spends too long flying since Tri but whatever, he's always a good one). Nice visuals in the caves too (Switch footage)!

I've been making good progress now that I stopped wasting time with having fun but making no progress in expeditions I don't need, lol (but I'm still gonna do every quest except arena quests so it takes time).
monsterhunterrise_202fukwl.png
monsterhunterrise_2028rkht.png
monsterhunterrise_202jtjna.png
monsterhunterrise_202dfkb4.png

Last edited:

Skifi28

So, I decided to stay in low rank and farm some stuff I want before moving on and I want a single Zinogre plate. A single one. I've farmed him 17 times, breaking all parts and having as many shiny drops as possible, absolutely nothing. I don't care about Almudron gear, so in the 2 times I happened to kill Almudron of course I got 3 fucking plates.

Alexios

I just got to High Rank too! I gotta grind LR a bit myself though, I wanna do all quests at least once, but the way the game is set up, you know how in Tri and older games you had the village and the city/hub quests, and the latter were largely repeat hunts of what you already fought in village but MP balanced, it's similar here, but you can skip a lot of the early stuff for MP by doing the solo stuff if you want. I've pretty much only 100% the village and as I went through that it popped up some hunter license quests that increased the rank of quests I could take in the hub. So after doing all that it popped up an Apex monster Rampage quest, which is an MP quest and beating that unlocked 4 star quests in the hub which is where HR begins. I did it alone and almost failed it, got carted twice and had the fort and final gate quite smashed, a right bastard that Apex monster, I did start with join request enabled but nobody came to help at any point. So anyway, I'll start completing all LR quests in the hub before going to HR so I've got quite a bit to do still as I did the village first rather than do it concurrently as I was doing back in Tri days. I'm reading that Apex monsters were initially available only in Rampages so I could see how that could make some folks feel miffed if they don't like the rampages (again, I have no issues with those yet myself - and after 50 hours iirc 2 were forced) but by now after doing them in a rampage they eventually get normal quests too.

Edit: damn 50 hours according to Steam, I guess I'm playing it on average 4+ hours a day since launch, yikes. Hooked. More random screens. It's hard to remember to take them during actual action scenes even though I set my screenshot key on a gamepad button too. Ah well.
monsterhunterrise_202rkk87.png
monsterhunterrise_2025eji7.png
monsterhunterrise_20200j0n.png
monsterhunterrise_202crj3v.png

Last edited:
I spent the weekend grinding it out and I’m well into HR now. 7* just opened up. I thought it would take me forever to get my pc file back to where my switch file was, but knowing exactly what to make right from the get go, knowing where everything is and having already hunted all the monsters has made this go by very quickly. Oh ya, and skipping all the cutscenes. Mostly switching between GS and LS but sprinkling in some LBG too.

Alexios

I played a bit too much... Got to 5 star HR (but need to finish 4)! Joiuidifhjdahjus (the fish thing) was pretty fun, surprisingly. Neither Plesioth lethal (and annoying) nor lame as in World. Weird it wasn't in LR but cool I guess. I'd have probably switched its place with the mud Lagiacrus type thing 🤷‍♂️
monsterhunterrise_2028ektj.png
monsterhunterrise_202z9ka2.png
monsterhunterrise_202t2k61.png
monsterhunterrise_20201k2q.png

Also, it said that in 5 star HR quests monsters may invade my hunts. Yet it was common, if not the rule, to have up to 3 in the same map even if I was hunting one for the given quest since quite early in the game. I wonder what it actually changes now (but won't look it up, I'll see for myself soon)...

Last edited:

Alexios

I just want a texture (maybe model also but whatever if they can make it look fitting with the existing one in the game) mod for the triggered pitfall trap, it's kinda bad, is anyone known for quality mods planning small enhancements like this that just round out the otherwise stellar presentation?
By the way I was checking Nexus to see if there's anything interesting (nope, just cheats and crap) and someone made a mod that makes the final hunt move slow motion without changing to the super close up monster cam. That or another mod lets you skip the victory animation screen and other related things. I'm not gonna mod my game for such things but I found (sorry if lttp) you can skip that if you use your wirebug to hang/dangle (not normally use it to launch yourself or anything else) as the timer expires, at that point it gets the painterly effect and moves on to the results.

Last edited:

Pejo

By the way I was checking Nexus to see if there's anything interesting (nope, just cheats and crap) and someone made a mod that makes the final hunt move slow motion without changing to the super close up monster cam. That or another mod lets you skip the victory animation screen and other related things. I'm not gonna mod my game for such things but I found (sorry if lttp) you can skip that if you use your wirebug to hang/dangle (not normally use it to launch yourself or anything else) as the timer expires, at that point it gets the painterly effect and moves on to the results.
I like the wind down period that the various cutscenes and stuff offers after a hunt, interesting that some people would prefer to skip it all.

Speaking of, anyone up for a GAF lobby this weekend?

Alexios

Ah shit, got a crash, the first in 69.7 hours... It was a multi hunt quest, I guess I should be glad it happened before killing the first one rather than just before finishing it all. But now I'll be dreading that it will happen again at any time. The game is telling me I'm playing it too much :messenger_grinning_sweat:

In other news Switch got update 3.8.0, it's not on PC yet but I'm reading the PC build should get concurrent in events/versions by next month already so that's cool.

Last edited:

Alexios

Yay, got the fish thing's armor, it kinda reminds me of Tekkaman Blade/Teknoman, lol. I should probably do more expeditions, finding more nooks and crannies in the maps still. I'm also hurting for money and points after crafting several stuff at once so doing them will help with that as well...
monsterhunterrise_2029djsi.png
monsterhunterrise_202qyj1m.png
monsterhunterrise_202lnjgl.png
monsterhunterrise_202a6j0o.png

Last edited:

Pejo

Yay, got the fish thing's armor, it kinda reminds me of Tekkaman Blade/Teknoman, lol. I should probably do more expeditions, finding more nooks and crannies in the maps still. I'm also hurting for money and points after crafting several stuff at once, maybe I'll do more expeditions again...
I love the Jyura armor, but the skills are only meh, so I'll wait and get the layered set.

Best way to farm money is to wait for mining upsurges in the volcano HR and then do a mining run and sell all the ore. It's order of magnitudes faster than any other method. You can just cycle quests (like that Sonic event quest) to get the mining surge to appear faster too.

Yay, got the fish thing's armor, it kinda reminds me of Tekkaman Blade/Teknoman, lol. I should probably do more expeditions, finding more nooks and crannies in the maps still. I'm also hurting for money and points after crafting several stuff at once so doing them will help with that as well...
One of my favorite layers in Iceborne

a1rwUzo.jpeg

I'd use it again for Rise but I I don't plan to use a Rampage weapon so I can't layer Jyura on to a weapon.

Alexios

I just got the Rakna-Kadaki urgent. I don't intend to fight it before completing more 5 and 6 star HR quests but I went in to see the intro. Is it me or does it look kinda bad shown like that? I thought maybe it's a Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate monster touched up since it had insect & spider type stuff (although early MonHuns also had beetles and crabs and stuff) but the wiki says it's a new monster introduced in Rise (edit: but it's apparently the same general type - not sub species mind, like bird wyverns are one type - as one in Monster Hunter 4 after all, that makes sense). Maybe it's cooler and more awe/dread inspiring when actually fighting it though, I'll see that soon enough I guess. So far I only don't really like Volvidon enough to repeat it if not as a Quest target, everything else, old and new, has been from good to awesome. In some cases I would prefer some old monster of a similar (ish) type instead of the new ones but on the other hand if they had even more old monsters that could get boring too, the new ones have some inventive designs (like Bishaten which is monkey like vs the older Kongalala style ape stuff, it's always fun when you make it drop its items like a pinata). Some of the bird wyverns are too similar I guess but that's in every game and the variants here are a bit more different to each other. Just a bit. Oh, I forgot about Basarios, I guess I don't care about it too much (I actually forgot it was included in many games like Freedom Unite, I probably skipped it when I could). It's a bit ridiculous with all those rocks, I prefer the Tri designs like Barroth instead which seem more grounded in a sense (not really realistic but yeah). Or it's my LS bouncing off these so much that annoys me, heh. I actually didn't like designs like Arzuros, Lagombi and Zinogre when seeing them introduced in Portable 3rd, but now that I've fought them they're worthy, at least in this iteration. I was down on the "B team" for 3rd and Frontier (of course the games being simply unavailable here probably helped in shunning them) vs FU and Tri back then but with mainline going in such a different direction in feel since then, Rise now feels closer to the classics in its own way (and the new stuff are definitely super successful implementations in this case) and not so radically twisted (but still further anime-fied I guess) in comparison any more.
monsterhunterrise_2023mj85.png
monsterhunterrise_202opkco.png
monsterhunterrise_202c3kr8.png
monsterhunterrise_2023bkve.png

I kinda want a closer camera view for this game, or fov settings or whatever it is that makes the monsters look small in my screenshots when they're actually pretty damn huge like this Nargacuga that seems able to fit my whole damn character in its mouth with little effort if it comes to that, lol. I got my first failure after 80 hours, HR 6 star Rathalos is fast, aggressive, dangerous with a couple moves that almost one shot me (although I should probably change my armor for him, lol, I'm farming Anjanath but various materials just won't drop and/or I don't know where to get if not on him). Edit: ok now I'm just missing that stupid Anjanath gem and it just won't drop, I've killed like a dozen of them at least so far. Do I need to get him in higher than 6 star quests for that to have a better chance to drop or what? I thought all HR is the same (ie finding the monsters in HR expeditions is the same difficulty as any starred quest that has them included too). At least he's not been so tough to fight compared to Rathalos, though I get carted occasionally if I fumble my wirefall or get stunned or otherwise mess up at the worst possible moment.

Last edited:

demigod

Shit I haven’t had the chance to play all week, still at HR7. Probably start again today and watching football.

Alexios

I took a break from Anjanath farming to do the LR event quests and get the companion outfits, I don't really want them for the originals I still take in the hunts with me so I set them on those that I have in training and sent out for item gathering so that they populate the buddy plaza instead, lol.
MonsterHunterRise_2022_01_30_20_12_41_076.png
MonsterHunterRise_2022_01_30_20_13_03_427.png

Last edited:

Alexios

Yay, I did it! I got an Anjanath gem from a lucky tail carve in an expedition, got the full armor set completed and then pwned the 6* HR Rathalos for good measure, though I got lucky and barely escaped some of his lethal fire breathing attacks and still got carted once. I also beat the spider thing, at first its moves seemed weird but after one cart I either got lucky or got it down and slayed even though I switched my longsword combo to the alternate one to check it out and that was weird to employ. I don't really like it as a monster so I guess that's the second one with Volvidon. Good ratio!
monsterhunterrise_202qgj6l.png

I have yet to upgrade any armors with armor stones and such mind, or start making decorations etc. and I take almost no items except the generic rations and first aid kits in the starting camp boxes. It feels like if I mess up so much that I waste them all (since I get a full inventory by doing the hub quests solo) and need mega potions and steaks and such on top or get super buffed (although I did craft and take those charms and talons) then I'm just not playing good enough anyway. Which I'm not really, I've yet to master the longsword counters and such, I literally did my first today, lol, I'm playing it like it's Tri still, just dodge, whack, deploy the super gauge combo thing if there's time, use the wirebug moves here and there to close/gain distance, repeat until dead. So yeah, a far cry from the masters that seem to dance around the monsters and keep the dps up pretty much constantly but I at least should not allow myself to mess up so much, especially since World where you can just keep going back to your full inventory from the camps and so basically have an endless amount of items as long as there's time left, that's just too much so I pretend it's not in.

I don't know if there are players who actually use that feature when playing normally anyway, I think they should ditch it in the next games as it kills the feel of preparing for quests when you can change your gear and access your storage at any time. Good players don't and even bad players like myself shouldn't need it, in most of the maps you could just go roam instead and make plenty of potions from the plants and honey found in abundance, but doing that at least has the time wasted trade off so with quests having a time limit I think that's a more decent compromise.

Last edited:

Alexios

Can anyone explain to me the business sense in this not coming to Xbox / Playstation?
Just a matter of perception, avoiding franchise fatigue for those players by having them wait for a cross/next gen World 2 or whatever it will be called in hopes of repeating the same "omg it's back on home consoles and looks bigger and better than ever" type of hype that led to its unprecedented sales they'd love to repeat but Rise probably wouldn't ever come close to if attempting to serve the same audience which has already shown some loss of interest given Iceborne sold way less than the main game. Rise did best when serving the audience World skipped, which is the Switch player base seeing the really great sales there when on PC it (sadly and undeservedly) doesn't seem to be doing anywhere near as well as World. Again, Iceborne also had a huge drop off, which isn't common for the series, but can't be directly compared to past entries that asked folks to buy the whole thing again to get the expansion so it's possible many waited for the full thing, the fact some only released with the expansion in other regions also muddies the waters for comparisons, but according to Capcom World has sold like 18 million and Iceborne only around 9, it's a huge difference even though nowadays, so long after launch, with sales bundles and offers it's probably far more common for people to buy Iceborne rather than just the vanilla game so you'd think it would be rapidly gaining on it yet it is still so far away from being in the same ballpark.

Last edited:

Alexios

This guy makes cool clips, one of them popped up in my feed and I've been digging through his stuff. If only I could ever play that good, lol. That's never happening.

Last edited:

Pejo

This guy makes cool clips, one of them popped up in my feed and 've digging throug his stuff. If only I could ever play that good, lol. That's never happening.

Fun fact, he was an old gaffer, left during the exodus. He's been making good MH gifs for a while now.

I've been playing MH since Tri and even now I still find a good Greatsword player the most fascinating thing to watch. That's a weapon that demands mastery of the game, but holy shit it looks cool when you pull it off.

Time to stop others from having fun online again.

8NYUEMt.jpg

I miss how blatantly overpowered fatty set is but we're getting there. Can't wait to see what I can fit in for Sunbreak.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
This guy makes cool clips, one of them popped up in my feed and I've been digging through his stuff. If only I could ever play that good, lol. That's never happening.

This what I love about MH series all this cool ass shit is during pure gameplay instead of scripted event you see is most cinematic AAA games.

So I only recently started gunning after making that set. Something feels different about Rise's radial wheel compared to World. It feels longer before it gets pulled up and switching between wheels. I didn't notice it when playing HH since I only ever needed the single wheel. Also ammo crafting feels off too. It's like there's a longer wait before I can craft after reloading, whereas in World I can craft as soon as the ammo was loaded in and I didn't have to wait for the animation to finish. Or maybe I'm just imagining things.

Alexios

At ~100 hours I just beat Narwa and seem to be in post-game territory mechanics wise, unlocked Hunter Rank and all. But since things weren't resolved I assume that later it opens up some final urgent quests to finish the thing with (they aren't gonna leave us hanging until Sunbreak or something, oh, I seem to remember it launched on Switch without the ending so, it probably cut off here back then, but the true ending was eventually added, so I'm sure there is soon going to be something more that's already in here). These were pretty fun gimmick based elder dragon fights, kind of like Tri's Ceadeus but also totally different. I'm not spoling the elders and other big stuf in my screenshots of course, just mostly the stuff people have already seen/are in every game so yeah. It also said that with unlocked HR urgents will pop up to increase your rank here and there, cool. Edit: just beat the Chameleos urgent quest to get past HR 20. That was kind of a pointless addition huh, I'm reading he's always been like that but like, that was piss easy and it's meant to be an elder dragon at that? Regular large monsters put up more of a fight than this one. It looks fun though.
monsterhunterrise_202hrkjc.png
monsterhunterrise_202xikxo.png
monsterhunterrise_202fqjg2.png
monsterhunterrise_2021ajqd.png

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
And that's only because they spend the lion's share of their render budget on the monsters. The environments have near zero details and the geometric complexity of a Lego brick....
I mean that is to be expected from a portable game, there is no shame in that, I just don't get why some people pretend not to see it..... Even in this thread.
Simple. Compare it to Pokémon Arceus environments and all of the sudden Rise looks photo-realistic.

Alexios

I just got past HR40. It's neat that the game still has new monsters to throw at you but the returning elder dragons have been too easy (to the point I forgot they're meant to be these super powerful beings so I tried to capture one only to waste the traps that don't even work, lol). Regular monsters like Magnamalo still give me more trouble. Chameleos in particular is just pathetic (but his longsword seems pretty sweet, I've been using that when not bothering with elements and such) & I beat everything on my first try so far, maybe after a careless cart or two. At least the others are fun to fight and try to get you with some surprise attacks that do a lot of damage (though Rathalos is also still a better fight than Teostra's which is weird, not to mention how plain the Teostra armor is without any sign of its majestic mane) but again, I'm far from an expert and again, I've not even upgraded armors with armor stones or anything, though I have started making decorations. Oh well. Bring on Sunbreak and the G rank. The Apex monsters are a good hint at what they can do with the same designs in higher rank since even the Arzuros, while not particularly hard, requires attention due to the damage, varied combos and new effects like wind on some attacks. I've not actually fought other Apex monsters yet and I've also not attempted Rajang yet other than messing with him a bit during other quests, I think his moves will give me some trouble at least. I also need to do more rampages soon as I've just about run out of skill tickets. Maybe multiplayer is in order, I read there is difficulty scaling for the monsters (but 3 other players probably negate this), I thought hub quests were always multiplayer scaled like old school Monster Hunter so the ease was nuts.
monsterhunterrise_202o5kfr.png
monsterhunterrise_202q9kfx.png
monsterhunterrise_202lzj15.png
monsterhunterrise_202xfjf8.png

Edit: took care of Rajang, he's alright I guess. But I also tried Apex Mizutsune and yeah, that one's going to be a tough one, massive damage all around. I'll probably need to, surprisingly, make an anti water or whatever set, or finally buff my armors with armor stones to mitigate those one hit KOs. I also got to HR ~50 and got the Allmother urgent quest which I guess is the true ending to the story. I almost beat it but got careless and failed it after weakening her, oh well. I'm sure I'll manage the second attempt, it's not that hard, though as gimmick based elder dragon battles go it's been epic.

Last edited:

Alexios

I finished the story deal at 120 hours or so. That was decently epic and again reminds me a lot of Tri in set up. I still haven't fought a Valstrax, maybe that's the next urgent quest at HR100 or whatever. It looks like it will be a fun fight, like most in the game have been. I'm hyped for Sunbreak now...
monsterhunterrise_202u4k5m.png
monsterhunterrise_202drka4.png
monsterhunterrise_202imjii.png
monsterhunterrise_202hdjwa.png

There's still much to do, like get the 6 Apex variants (well, I've done Arzuros which was easy and tried Mizutsune which owned me as mentioned earlier) and more rampages to get tickets for the newer weapons I've made since. I wonder if they'll add anything new before Sunbreak monster wise...

Last edited:

Pejo

I finished the story deal at 120 hours or so. That was decently epic and again reminds me a lot of Tri in set up. I still haven't fought a Valstrax, maybe that's the next urgent quest at HR100 or whatever. It looks like it will be a fun fight, like most in the game have been. I'm hyped for Sunbreak now...
monsterhunterrise_202u4k5m.png
monsterhunterrise_202drka4.png
monsterhunterrise_202imjii.png
monsterhunterrise_202hdjwa.png

There's still much to do, like get the 6 Apex variants (well, I've done Arzuros which was easy and tried Mizutsune which owned me as mentioned earlier) and more rampages to get tickets for the newer weapons I've made since. I wonder if they'll add anything new before Sunbreak monster wise...
Congrats, that's a good amount of playtime. I've been bogged down with other stuff in life and haven't had the opportunity to dump as many hours into the game as I had hoped.

As far as new stuff, I think we might see a few new event quests and at most a variant or two to bridge the gap but nothing big before Sunbreak.

Danjin44

We recently got advance quest for Valstrax and similar to advance quest for Magnamalo, he hits like a truck.

Maybe multiplayer is in order, I read there is difficulty scaling for the monsters (but 3 other players probably negate this), I thought hub quests were always multiplayer scaled like old school Monster Hunter so the ease was nuts.
I really do suggest doing multiplayer if you just want to grind that HR. It's just way more relaxing to hunt in a group, I shot up from 50 to 200 over a weekend and I'm mostly playing the game on auto-pilot now. At the moment I'm debating on whether I want to get the achievements for taking pictures. Also Bazel pieces are top tier fashion hunter.

GL5alic.jpg

We recently got advance quest for Valstrax and similar to advance quest for Magnamalo, he hits like a truck.
The advanced quests are all kinds of bullshit. It's why I went back to being a gunner.

Edit: Oh, wait I was thinking emergency quests. Advanced quests aren't so bad. It's the event ones that are bullshit.

Last edited:

bbeach123

I dont like this game , mhw was so much better . I dont like what they did to ls, lance and cb, they strange up murder half of these weapon moveset , might as well jsut remove them . Everything suck except for the monsters , the new(and old) monster is cool . Lack of clutch claw claggy animation make the fight more fun (imo) .

Fcking hate dango though , why they remove meat and veg and cheese and give us dango wtf .

I dont like this game , mhw was so much better . I dont like what they did to ls, lance and cb, they strange up murder half of these weapon moveset , might as well jsut remove them . Everything suck except for the monsters , the new(and old) monster is cool . Lack of clutch claw claggy animation make the fight more fun (imo) .

Fcking hate dango though , why they remove meat and veg and cheese and give us dango wtf .
Yeah, I don't like a lot of the changes to lance. I really, really hate the nerf to guard and guard up.

Danjin44

The advanced quests are all kinds of bullshit. It's why I went back to being a gunner.

Edit: Oh, wait I was thinking emergency quests. Advanced quests aren't so bad. It's the event ones that are bullshit.
Emergency Apex quests are not bad, for me they are fun challenge, you can use Spiribirds to buff yourself before fighting them.

demigod

Finally played again after like 3 weeks of not playing. Beat Narwa, wow she was easier than ibushi. Need to kill more tmrw so i can unlock Chameleos for mirage weapon.

demigod

Just beat Narwa the Allmother, probably the shittiest boss ever. Only had about 6 minutes to spare.

Did an apex rampage online, much better than soloing. I’ll probably grind apex so i can get items to meld.

GametimeUK

I've been playing and got to a base defense section. How fucking boring are these sections? Just totally sapped the enjoyment right from the game. I'm not really motivated to keep on playing knowing I'll have another one of these to do.

I've been playing and got to a base defense section. How fucking boring are these sections? Just totally sapped the enjoyment right from the game. I'm not really motivated to keep on playing knowing I'll have another one of these to do.
They're an ok change of pace in multiplayer. They're fucking terrible solo. It's mostly an excuse to use my rapid fire shrapnel 2 set. It's also pretty much impossible to fail them. They should make weapons out of whatever that gate is made of then you're never need to sharpen again.

Skifi28

Of it makes you feel any better, there's only like 3-4 of them you really have to do, you can completely ignore the mode other than those.

Last edited:
wr5TrUa.jpg

Just started CB on PC today. Didn't give it much of a chance on Switch cause I heard plenty of complaints that it was gutted and I was meta chasing by using Counter Peak Performance. Now I realize it's all about Axe Hopper and Load Shells. SAED is way more fun if you're spamming it from the air.

Last edited:

F31 Leopard

wr5TrUa.jpg

Just started CB on PC today. Didn't give it much of a chance on Switch cause I heard plenty of complaints that it was gutted and I was meta chasing by using Counter Peak Performance. Now I realize it's all about Axe Hopper and Load Shells. SAED is way more fun if you're spamming it from the air.
I love Condensed Spinning Slash and Axe Hopper. I find CB way more fun in Rise than World with these 2 switch skills.
Made a quick vid.

Last edited:
Top Bottom