• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Rise (PC Version) |OT| A New Fantastic Point of View

Chukhopops

Blasphemy! Clutch counter is one of the most satisfying things to do.
Yep, i don't know why people hated the clutch, the lance integration alone was super fun to use and cool AF.
It was fun to do in the beginning but I started to hate it because it would mess up your positioning and was only worth the time lost on a couple monsters (most monsters attack with limbs, so you’d weaken a part you don’t really want to attack anyway). It was a cool idea but I wouldn’t trade it for the things Rise brought.

Also both flagship monsters in IB were absolutely miserable to fight with lance between the laser spam, mobility and ice blocks of Velkhana and the laser spam and sand traps of Shara Isvalda. It was worth switching to LBG / HBG just for those fights.

I don’t hate MHW but Rise is just more fun imo.

GymWolf

Clutch + hammer is amazing. Rise killed hammer for me.
People know that i don't like wirebugs that much but the 2 wb moves in rise for the hammer are delightful (although a bit OP)

What i hate in rise for weapons with heavy impact is that they noticeably reduced the hit\stop when you hit something with stuff like hammer, GS and others so it feels way less meaty\crunchy when you get the big hit in, that kinda ruined a bit of the fun i have with the hammer, also less crunchy sound design i think.

I feel like the whole game is less weighty than world, some people like it, some like me, don't.

Last edited:

GymWolf

It was fun to do in the beginning but I started to hate it because it would mess up your positioning and was only worth the time lost on a couple monsters (most monsters attack with limbs, so you’d weaken a part you don’t really want to attack anyway). It was a cool idea but I wouldn’t trade it for the things Rise brought.

Also both flagship monsters in IB were absolutely miserable to fight with lance between the laser spam, mobility and ice blocks of Velkhana and the laser spam and sand traps of Shara Isvalda. It was worth switching to LBG / HBG just for those fights.

that's why you equip guard up to guard against those moves or just stay under the ass of the monster to avoid them, you can do that with the lance, and when they fly away, you have the fastest run in the entire game to chase them.

For the lance counter, i know it wasn't the best dps way, but it was super fun, i never play MH to make record times, if a style is fun i give 2 fucks about doing less damage.

Basically the reason why people use the insect glaive on air instead of doing more damage on the ground.

I heard people saying that they ruined lance playstyle in rise, it was a very detailed post that made sense when i readed it, but i have to try the lance by myself, it was my first love in world.

You are my opposite, i don't hate rise but world is way more fun for me, every time i play rise i just want to return on world but i already have 600+ hours on that one and i want to see the new monsters in rise.

Last edited:

Pejo

Give me your steam tag so i can add you.

No promises tho, i want to do all the menial stuff in the village to collect all the important shit before even starting hunting.

Is mh rise like world where you have to unlock a fuckload of stuff between palicos instruments, food, camps, etc.

Do you have a link with a guide to unlock everything?
PM'd you my Steam ID.

Yea no worries. I still have quite a bit of "housekeeping" items to do myself. I have most of the camps done but still need to finish the great wirebug shortcuts. They're handy once you give up on Palamutes for Palicos to snipe extra materials.

There are a lot of unlocks yes, including 3 switch skills per weapon, but you don't really need most of the town stuff for actual hunts. Focusing on shortcuts and travel options for the maps are the priority. I'm actually not sure how the game handles the shortcuts if the host has them unlocked but you don't.

I liked it at first too, but the implication after seeing how it works was that you HAD to use it and monster weakspots were rendered completely obsolete. I'm glad it's gone. It was just an extra busywork you had to do on each hunt before you could actually start fighting.

Last edited:

GymWolf

PM'd you my Steam ID.

Yea no worries. I still have quite a bit of "housekeeping" items to do myself. I have most of the camps done but still need to finish the great wirebug shortcuts. They're handy once you give up on Palamutes for Palicos to snipe extra materials.

There are a lot of unlocks yes, including 3 switch skills per weapon, but you don't really need most of the town stuff for actual hunts. Focusing on shortcuts and travel options for the maps are the priority. I'm actually not sure how the game handles the shortcuts if the host has them unlocked but you don't.
Fuck, i'm gonna waste 20 hours just to do that :lollipop_squinting:

What do you mean with wirebug shortcuts??

Do palicos and dogs have stuff to unlock like in world? or you just chose the type of palico like healer or assist etc.?!

Last edited:

somesang

Do palicos and dogs have stuff to unlock like in world? or you just chose the type of palico like healer or assist etc.?!
Wirebug shortcuts are spots around the map you can unlock so you can bypass routes. Super helpful if you remember to use them.

Someone correct me but I think the only unlocks for palicos and dogs are equipment, same as hunter equipment. I don't remember specific skills that needed unlocking besides the ones listed when you recruit. Those are level based and RNG.

Reizo Ryuu

Also both flagship monsters in IB were absolutely miserable to fight with lance between the laser spam, mobility and ice blocks of Velkhana and the laser spam and sand traps of Shara Isvalda
Together with vaal hazak and nergigante, velkhana is one of the best designed encounters in all of MH, unlike the bullshit that is lunastra.
Guard up will block all its attacks just fine except for the ground freeze, which it telegraphs with unique animation beforehand anyway; I had no issues beating both with lance/gunlance.

Last edited:

Pejo

So if you happen across these glowy flowers called Jewel Lillies in the maps, you can permanently attach Great Wirebugs to them (from the guy to the right of your house in town). They are essentially shortcuts that shoot you to a different (usually somewhat remote) section of the map. They're usually arranged so that you can quickly travel from one area to another when a monster runs away. Once you memorize their whereabouts and unlocked them all, it's faster or as fast as chasing on Palamutes.

Palamutes and Palicos both have gear you can forge per standard crafting from the cat next to the blacksmith. Additionally, Palamutes have up to 2 gear slots that kinda change their behavior that you get from quests from the guy next to Hinoa. You have attack focused equipment, tank focused equipment, a healer scroll (that sucks), etc. Palicoes on the other hand are a certain type when you create/hire them, which leads to their "class". There's like Healer cats, attack cats, trap cats, and my favorite - the white icon type that grab extra materials from monsters while you're fighting them. They can actually snag quite a few materials per fight once leveled up enough.

Together with vaal hazak and nergigante, velkhana is one of the best designed encounters in all of MH, unlike the bullshit that is lunastra.
Guard up will block all its attacks just fine except for the ground freeze, which it telegraphs with unique animation beforehand anyway; I had no issues beating both with lance/gunlance.
Yea I loved Velkhana, my personal favorite from the IB newbies. Fun but fair fight.

Last edited:

GymWolf

So if you happen across these glowy flowers called Jewel Lillies in the maps, you can permanently attach Great Wirebugs to them (from the guy to the right of your house in town). They are essentially shortcuts that shoot you to a different (usually somewhat remote) section of the map. They're usually arranged so that you can quickly travel from one area to another when a monster runs away. Once you memorize their whereabouts and unlocked them all, it's faster or as fast as chasing on Palamutes.

Palamutes and Palicos both have gear you can forge per standard crafting from the cat next to the blacksmith. Additionally, Palamutes have up to 2 gear slots that kinda change their behavior that you get from quests from the guy next to Hinoa. You have attack focused equipment, tank focused equipment, a healer scroll (that sucks), etc. Palicoes on the other hand are a certain type when you create/hire them, which leads to their "class". There's like Healer cats, attack cats, trap cats, and my favorite - the white icon type that grab extra materials from monsters while you're fighting them. They can actually snag quite a few materials per fight once leveled up enough.

Yea I loved Velkhana, my personal favorite from the IB newbies. Fun but fair fight.
How do i unlock the switch moves for the weapons? story progression or specific quests?

Thanks guys.

Last edited:

Pejo

How do i unlock the switch moves for the weapons? story progression or specific quests?

Thanks guys.
Yea progress through story and keep an eye out for a quest from Master Utsushi.

First SetReach Village Quest ★3 or Hub Quest ★2 then talk to Master Utsushi.
Second SetCreate or upgrade a total of 8 unique weapons of the same weapon type.
Third SetSet of quests unlocked from Hub ★4 and higher.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Yea progress through story and keep an eye out for a quest from Master Utsushi.

First SetReach Village Quest ★3 or Hub Quest ★2 then talk to Master Utsushi.
Second SetCreate or upgrade a total of 8 unique weapons of the same weapon type.
Third SetSet of quests unlocked from Hub ★4 and higher.
Holy shit do i have to create 8 hammers to unlock the second tier? i don't really like to waste materials on something that i'm not gonna use, those are some bullshit requirements :lollipop_squinting:

Just to be clear, with switch skills i meant the moves that you can switch for another move, like the point guard on the hammer.

Last edited:

Pejo

Holy shit do i have to create 8 hammers to unlock the second tier? i don't really like to waste materials on something that i'm not gonna use.

Just to be clear, with switch skills i meant the ones that you can switch instead of another move, like the point guard on the hammer.
Yep, these are the ones. And yep, you have to create (or upgrade into) 8 hammers.

GymWolf

Yep, these are the ones. And yep, you have to create (or upgrade into) 8 hammers.
Wait, does it count if i upgrade an hammer and it became another hammer with another name\shape instead of an incremental nameoftheweapon 1-2-3??

Not sure if i'm clear enough.

Last edited:

Pejo

Wait, does it count if i upgrade an hammer and it become another hammer with another name\shape instead of an incremental 1-2-3?!

Not sure if i'm clear enough.
To my understanding it's 8 "boxes" on the weapon tree. So if you have Bone Hammer 1 and upgrade it into Bone Hammer 2, it should count. Don't quote me on that though, I usually make every weapon eventually anyways as a completionist thing.

GymWolf

To my understanding it's 8 "boxes" on the weapon tree. So if you have Bone Hammer 1 and upgrade it into Bone Hammer 2, it should count. Don't quote me on that though, I usually make every weapon eventually anyways as a completionist thing.
Yeah but if you upgrade enough they usually change monster tree and name\shape, does that count as new hammer??

Got up to HR 29 last night - almost caught up to my Switch save (stopped at HR30), in less than 1/4 of the time lol.

Obviously, I've been having a blast with the game again, but I do have complaints... mainly about the shadows because they look HORRIBLE and are extremely distracting. These dithering shadows were appropriate for the low-spec Switch hardware, but this is a high-end PC... it could and should look better - the RE Engine is capable of better than this.
MIzqlTd.jpg

That said, it's nice to finally play the game at a stable framerate because the game frequently dipped below 30fps on Switch, especially in the Flooded Forest. Fighting a Mizu in the watery caves was literally like 20fps on Switch lol

Edit: Also, these Event quests are absolutely terrible. Is this really all they added to the Switch version over the past year, aside from the ending?? (Remember when Capcom launched the game without a satisfying story ending, but had the gall to release $100+ of Day One DLC? Good times...)

But yeah, looking at these Event quests remind me of why I stopped playing the Switch version lol. I remember MH World had the awesome Witcher questline a year after release as well as some other elaborate Event quests. All the Event quests in Rise are blatant time-wasters as far as I can tell (minimum of two runs per Event item because RNG hates you) and the rewards are also a joke (fucking Sonic skins... really???).
The Amaterasu skin looks really good though, I'll admit.

Last edited:

Pejo

Noob question:

Any chance for a PS5/SeriesS/X release?
Never say never, but I will say it's unlikely.
Got up to HR 29 last night - almost caught up to my Switch save (stopped at HR30), in less than 1/4 of the time lol.

Obviously, I've been having a blast with the game again, but I do have complaints... mainly about the shadows because they look HORRIBLE and are extremely distracting. These dithering shadows were appropriate for the low-spec Switch hardware, but this is a high-end PC... it could and should look better - the RE Engine is capable of better than this.

That said, it's nice to finally play the game at a stable framerate because the game frequently dipped below 30fps on Switch, especially in the Flooded Forest. Fighting a Mizu in the watery caves was literally like 20fps on Switch lol

Edit: Also, these Event quests are absolutely terrible. Is this really all they added to the Switch version over the past year, aside from the ending?? (Remember when Capcom launched the game without a satisfying story ending, but had the gall to release $100+ of Day One DLC? Good times...)

But yeah, looking at these Event quests remind me of why I stopped playing the Switch version lol. I remember MH World had the awesome Witcher questline a year after release as well as some other elaborate Event quests. All the Event quests in Rise are blatant time-wasters as far as I can tell (minimum of two runs per Event item because RNG hates you) and the rewards are also a joke (fucking Sonic skins... really???).
The Amaterasu skin looks really good though, I'll admit.
Yea the framerate alone is reason enough to get this even if you enjoyed the Switch version. I don't think I can go back to sub 30fps ever again, especially for MH. I do wish they'd have done a little more with the visuals on the port, but while shadows are distracting, it doesn't ruin the improvements that they did make.

One thing I have to give them credit for, pretty much every setting has an individual toggle in this game. So much better than usual console -> PC ports where you get like "high medium low" and 2-3 other individual options. Everything in this game is customizable to insane degree. The UI, damage displays, various sound settings, shortcuts, button mapping, etc. It takes a while to get everything set up to your specifications but it feels really comfy once you're done.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Starting to have some fun after the first expedition where I killed enough big monsters to finish up all kinds of side quests and make their armor set but I can't really wrap my head around the attacks dodges and recoveries involving the wirebug. Map design seems pretty great with all kinds of little nooks and crannies to discover, they're fun and easy to traverse but I can't help but feel like I'm wasting time whenever I'm not riding the palamute since you can even gather items while on it and it also climbs higher cliffs you'd need the bug for on foot. Also I keep forgetting about the owl.

Edit: I looked up, the owl doesn't do much, you can't have it fly to your arm and send it to locations like in the village, that's both a let down and a blessing as it'd be one more thing to keep track of in hunts lol, it's just the lore excuse for streamlining monster locating further/join requests etc. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

GymWolf

What is supposed to be the first problematic monster? because i still have to die or even getting close to die once, also i heard that rise monsters were more diversified compared to world and i'm here killing the big rabbit and big bear, and like 3 variation of a raptor?!

The gathering palico is stupidly good but during multy i miss the chance of running with the palamute and i always arrive late to the party...

Last edited:
Still waiting for a mod that takes out the randomness from Palico and Palamute moves/skills. Developers really need to stop with shit like this.

Pejo

What is supposed to be the first problematic monster? because i still have to die or even getting close to die once, also i heard that rise monsters were more diversified compared to world and i'm here killing the big rabbit and big bear, and like 3 variation of a raptor?!

The gathering palico is stupidly good but during multy i miss the chance of running with the palamute and i always arrive late to the party...
Keep in mind the Village quests are the "tutorial" and the real meat comes in at HR in the hub. Magna is probably on the harder end of the spectrum for village quests.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Liking Rise so far. Having gotten around more, the maps are very vertical & full of paths with great vistas & stuff but still quick to get around with loads of shortcuts, natural or with placing the giant wirebugs in the specific spots that launch you large distances, fast travel to camp/sub camps returns too. There's dynamic time of day in the untimed expeditions which is pretty neat. It sucks there's only dangos to eat but you still get to customize the bonuses so, oh well. I hope there are more standard looking armors for all tiers though, not all fantasy ninja. Gameplay wise I can't quite get the hang of the wirebug moves yet, but the longsword basics work good as ever. It has its own twists to the helpers in and out of combat with sending them to missions for items and what not, the village is small and to the point (yet still has fast travel points to just anywhere you need) and it returns to the old solo story progression that likely ends before getting past Low Rank with wholly separate meant for multiplayer hub missions that you can still solo and probably go up to High Rank (and I guess with Sunbreak eventually G rank as usual). I'm starting to get into it.

You can reach the bridge high up in the shot below. You can go to the top of the waterfalls in the next two screenshots. You can reach the structures at the cliff side in the next & much more. That's the first introductory map, going by the second they get more involved.
monsterhunterrise_202kqkjo.png
monsterhunterrise_202fjke4.png
monsterhunterrise_202urjw5.png
monsterhunterrise_202zajuw.png
MonsterHunterRise_2022_01_16_18_00_25_688.png
I don't get the trashing its graphics get vs World. Stuff like foliage are toned way down (but not every area has to be lush, I don't miss having more, the design looks right, it's just obvious in comparisons), you can see the terrain's polygonal edges, but it's pretty close, textures are sharp (World's weren't perfect) and the map & monster design at their best. World would have had reductions if it was their first RE Engine Monster Hunter and they tried to have the wirebug stuff which give you views of huge sections from anywhere coupled with the vertical design allowing you to get to tops and peaks overlooking damn near everything. It's much less demanding too, I couldn't quite achieve 60fps in World but this goes to 90+ maxed with 150% ss with ease. I only have minor graphical complaints, like the angular baldie heads in close ups (well, I just put some hair on), the texture of the pitfall traps (someone mod this please), the low rate animation of stuff in the distance and a weird lod thing like a faded shadow lifting around you as you approach areas, but it's not too noticable if you aren't looking for it and World had its share of weirdness with its dithering.

Last edited:

Pejo

Apparently I already have 15 hours. 10 of that is probably from restarting over and over to get my hunter's appearance just right.
You also get a free character edit voucher on the Steam store. In case you get to the endgame and realize you want to change your character. Also, you can change some things at any time from the equipment box as many times as you want, such as hairstyles, eyebrows, makeup, etc.

So I'm at about 22 hours now, and I'm FINALLY getting good at guard points and counters with CB. God damn a counter SAED that knocks Rathian's ass down to the ground is one of the most satisfying things I've ever done in MH. I think I still like SA better as a weapon in general, it just fits my playstyle a lot more, but CB is a lot of fun and I'm glad I stuck it out to actually learn the weapon.

For every cool thing I've done, there's been at least 15 whiffs too, still have to get better at that. Also, the counter SAED is very much a trap sometimes too. Khezu and Goss Harag already made me regret going for the counter in some unsafe situations.

I've been alternating the sword/spinning axe switch skill as I'm hunting, and I think overall I prefer the sword one. It has built in Mind's Eye and adds up quite a bit of damage while I'm filling my phials. Maybe spinning axe gets better once I get some evade extender to help with the awful movement in Axe mode. I usually just get into it to punish a downed/incapacitated monster and then right back out of it.

Time for the poll:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I use Hammer and Lance time to time but always go back to Longsword, mostly because I love parry in any game, I can't get enough of it.

Last edited:

Pejo

I use Hammer and Lance time to time but always go back to Longsword, mostly because I love parry in any game, I can get enough of it.
Longsword looks like so much fun in Rise, but I think I've been soured on it because of how popular it is, and being tripped by them all the time in multi. I know it's my fault for not running flinch free, but I'm not bothering until at least HR

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Longsword looks like so much fun in Rise, but I think I've been soured on it because of how popular it is, and being tripped by them all the time in multi. I know it's my fault for not running flinch free, but I'm not bothering until at least HR
I always been exclusively solo player in MH games so tripping issue doesn't apply to me and also doesn't matter how popular or unpopular a weapon is, if its fun to use then I'm gonna use it.

GymWolf

I'm using the hammer for now but i can switch to lance/switch axe at any given moment, hammer is too OP in rise.

GymWolf

Small question, are the silkmoves on the hammer (crater and bludgeon) considered aerial attack that benefits from the skill that improve aerial damage? Or silk moves are a different category?

Last edited:
Maining HH this time. Feels ok.
I finally rolled a Palamute with the skills I want. I got a Palico with the moveset I want but it had absolute shit for skills. The grind continues.

Skifi28

The dithered shadows are quite distracting in certain maps, makes the game look like it's running at half the resolution. Let's hope for a mod soon.

GymWolf

Do i have palico\palamute with special skill to get more items from the mercenary\submarine thing?

Is it safe to say that this stuff substitute the plant lab\palico expeditions in world right?!

Pejo

Do i have palico\palamute with special skill to get more items from the mercenary\submarine thing?

Is it safe to say that this stuff substitute the plant lab\palico expeditions in world right?!
The subs are the replacement for the tree/plant guy in World. Palico expeditions are still in the game, the Meowcenaries. The palico skills (at least that I've found) don't effect these two things, but giving them a Lagniapple will. Also with the subs, you can do 1 of 2 skills to increase the returns that cost points. This is entirely determined by the level of the palico/palamute (levels 5 and 15 respectively). Skills are just different battle related skills from what I've seen. Then again, I don't try to min/max my deliveries and expeditions, so I can't definitively say that there aren't skills for them.

Pejo

Any recommendation for a good beginner weapon?
It's so hard to say. A lot of it is going to be finding which weapon "clicks" with you. Longsword seems the obvious pick because it's so strong and versatile, but there's something for everyone. What kind of gameplay are you looking for? Mobile? Hard hitter? Fast? Ranged? Melee?

When you have access to the buddy area, go there and interact with the small green boat, and it will take you to the training area. You can piss around with all of the weapons in there to your hearts content and see what works for you personally. In the "hunter notes" in the in-game menu, you can see a list of common combos and mechanics of each of the weapons. Also, maybe try watching some weapon tutorial videos once you narrow down the weapons to a few picks.

Reizo Ryuu

Any recommendation for a good beginner weapon?
That's hard to say, they are all good essentially, it's not like one supplants another as you progress through the game; you could pick one and spend 500 hours just using that one.
Some have more mobility options, some have more defensive options.
I'd personally say go with the hammer, it has no block and wants you to stick close to the monster, so it will teach a lot of timing things that translate to all other weapons very quickly.
Bow and lance are imo the worst choices, cause you might grow dependent on their specific style of combat (range/block).

Top Bottom