• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Rise (PC Version) |OT| A New Fantastic Point of View

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
LS remains the Capcom darling. This image is always relevant:
As a LS main…
zoro-wano.gif

Pejo

As a LS main…
Yea, as a SA/SnS floater, who might dabble back into IG with the new stuff, I'm eating good with Sunbreak too, so I can't complain. I tried sticking with CB for my replay of Rise on PC after going SA on the Switch version, but it's just not my jam. I'm not into counters, and SAEDs felt neutered compared to world. I guess the pizza cutter mode is more viable now, but eh... No sense trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. I'm happy with SA/SnS/IG. If only we got the whole selection of SnS oils back instead of just the one. I loved switching them up for different things during a hunt.

Danjin44

Yea, as a SA/SnS floater, who might dabble back into IG with the new stuff, I'm eating good with Sunbreak too, so I can't complain. I tried sticking with CB for my replay of Rise on PC after going SA on the Switch version, but it's just not my jam. I'm not into counters, and SAEDs felt neutered compared to world. I guess the pizza cutter mode is more viable now, but eh... No sense trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. I'm happy with SA/SnS/IG. If only we got the whole selection of SnS oils back instead of just the one. I loved switching them up for different things during a hunt.
I agree about not every weapon need counters but I love it in LS, lot of people going disagree with me on this but LS in old MH games felt like lesser version of GS but with Iceborne LS actually find its own identity.

Last edited:

Pejo

I agree about not every weapon need counters but I love it in LS, lot of people going degree with me this but LS in old MH games felt like lesser version of GS but with Iceborne LS actually find its own identity.
Oh yea, it's perfectly viable and fits in the theme of understanding the monsters and timing your moves (counters in this case) which really is the core mechanic of MH. I enjoyed my time with messing around with LS, it just doesn't fit my own style. SA seems to be my overall main ever since Tri, the first game in the series that I played.

I think LS's showboat videos are some of the most fun to watch, you can really style on a monster with that weapon now.

Pejo

So apparently the JP players are pretty pissed at the latest group of trailers, namely Longsword and Lance. They're saying that Longsword continues to powercreep all of the other weapons by too large a margin, and Lance (and CB) got awful new skills that didn't address the problems in base Rise. Here's a summary of Likes/dislikes on the most viewed version of the individual trailers in JP:

Switch Axe : 1.9K Likes and 111 Dislikes

Sword & Shield : 968 Likes and 49 Dislikes

Heavy Bowgun : 750 Likes and 5 Dislikes

Hunting Horn : 2.3K Likes and 104 Dislikes

Hammer : 1K Likes and 329 Dislikes

Insect Glaive : 1.4K Likes and 130 Dislikes

Great Sword : 2.3K Likes and 208 Dislikes

Charge Blade : 2K Likes and 9.8K Dislikes

Gunlance : 2K Likes and 321 Dislikes

Bow : 2.1K Likes and 356 Dislikes

Lance : 945 Likes and 3.8K Dislikes

Longsword : 2K Likes and 5.7K Dislikes

Can't say I disagree that Lance/CB are underwhelming, but in a game without PVP, I would never request a nerf to Longsword if others enjoy using it. Just my 2c.

Pejo

LBG gets close range coating basically. That new move comes out quick too. I could see that being fun if I could literally ever get into ranged weapons in MH. I still haven't been able to despite several attempts.

DB I have never played in serious capacity, but it looks cool at least?

This Longsword drama keeps ramping up in JP. People there are real mad about it. Gaijinhunter cleared up that the longsword counter is even better than expected:
lmzesitdll191.jpg

All that and they couldn't give me all of the oils back on SnS?

Overall, the additions look good. Some obviously much better than the others. I think the real big winner in terms of fun for me would be GS because skill swap massively changes how it can approach a hunt. Hell, even without the new switch skills just being able to swap between Rage Slash and TCS is amazing. GS is definitely what I'm most excited to actually try out. Too early to say anything about damage since we don't know MVs yet but I think it's safe to say that HBG is just going to wreck things even faster. I love it since Rise HBG was mostly about sticky but the new switch skills will make the other ammo types more attractive.

Kssio_Aug

I can only play decently with a hammer! lol
I think LS is a pretty cool weapon, but I'm total trash with it. Might try to learn it eventually.

Pejo

So I admittedly still have quite a few hunts to finish to 100% base Rise on PC. It was hard to motivate myself at the time of release because I had just finished everything on Switch. I'll be going back and finishing everything this week. Any of you guys still playing? I wouldn't mind finally getting a GAF room or two together.

Pejo

I'm would be happy about that, I loved Rise but I absolutely did not care for Rampage quests.
Yea I don't think I've ever seen a single person say "yea! I love Rampages". General opinions ranged from "Eh, it's whatever" to "I hate this shit".

Good decision to drop them IMO.

I have been avoiding a lot of the Sunbreak vids to stay relatively spoiler free - Did they announce the new endgame grind yet? I kinda liked Guiding Lands and wouldn't mind seeing something like that again. I'd like to see a lot of monsters joining the fight at the same time. Hectic situations like that are fun.

Danjin44

Yea I don't think I've ever seen a single person say "yea! I love Rampages". General opinions ranged from "Eh, it's whatever" to "I hate this shit".

Good decision to drop them IMO.

I have been avoiding a lot of the Sunbreak vids to stay relatively spoiler free - Did they announce the new endgame grind yet? I kinda liked Guiding Lands and wouldn't mind seeing something like that again. I'd like to see a lot of monsters joining the fight at the same time. Hectic situations like that are fun.
The previews mostly focused on Lunagaron and seregios fight and talk about Skill swap mechanics.

Also a little bad news, its confirmed Lagiacrus wont be joining in Sunbreak.....AGAIN!!
https://www.ign.com/articles/monster-hunter-rise-sunbreak-lagiacrus-not-in-game-why-explained

Last edited:

Pejo

The previews mostly focused on Lunagaron and seregios fight and talk about Skill swap mechanics.

Also a little bad news, its confirmed Lagiacrus wont be joining in Sunbreak.....AGAIN!!
https://www.ign.com/articles/monster-hunter-rise-sunbreak-lagiacrus-not-in-game-why-explained
Man, couple this with the rumors that Capcom kept Gore out because of COVID, my hopes are dashed almost entirely. Hopefully one of the new monsters is a suitable replacement. I don't think they'll ever top Gore for me, personally. Such a fun and dynamic fight.

Danjin44

Man, couple this with the rumors that Capcom kept Gore out because of COVID, my hopes are dashed almost entirely. Hopefully one of the new monsters is a suitable replacement. I don't think they'll ever top Gore for me, personally. Such a fun and dynamic fight.
Malzeno might be decent replacement with Bloodblight mechanic, if you dont take care of it he becomes stronger.

Pejo

So apparently the new "blood blight" mechanic is basically Bloodborne mode.

You get hit, take orange HP damage, but you can recover it just by attacking the monster. I....kinda like the idea tbh.

Danjin44

You get hit, take orange HP damage, but you can recover it just by attacking the monster. I....kinda like the idea tbh.
This is why I told you Malzeno is decent replacement for Gore Magala "for now".

Last edited:

GymWolf

Hopefully it's gonna be more balanced than the bug wire or they risk to make the game even more of a cakewalk than it already is.

Danjin44

This pure hype, they bring back Gore Magala and Espinas from Frontier......Holly f**ck!!! Who thought we actually see Frontier Monster coming back!

Pejo

This pure hype, they bring back Gore Magala and Espinas from Frontier......Holly f**ck!!! Who thought we actually see Frontier Monster coming back!

So HOLY SHIT. I wasn't reading what you said and having it register, had some stuff pop up today I had to take care of, just had time to go back and watch the trailer. GORE IS BACK BAYBEE!

Espinas looks hilariously out of place in modern MH, but I love that he's back in the game. Can't wait to see more of his updated moveset.

I'm so damn hyped now that Gore's in. I thought he was a "never ever" pick. Can't wait to see the new Gore weapons and armor.

Danjin44

So HOLY SHIT. I wasn't reading what you said and having it register, had some stuff pop up today I had to take care of, just had time to go back and watch the trailer. GORE IS BACK BAYBEE!

Espinas looks hilariously out of place in modern MH, but I love that he's back in the game. Can't wait to see more of his updated moveset.

I'm so damn hyped now that Gore's in. I thought he was a "never ever" pick. Can't wait to see the new Gore weapons and armor.
I’m wondering if we gonna see other ones like Shagaru Magala.

Also don’t forget we are getting a demo.

I’m guessing just like pervious demos, Malzeno is gonna be super overpowered and we only have 15 min to beat him.

Last edited:

Pejo

Spoilers are out there about some stuff in Sunbreak.

Not really a shocker, but
Shagaru Magala is also in, confirmed and screenshots/vids are floating around of him. He looks great.

*edit*

7cp4dmmt1i591.jpg

Last edited:

Danjin44

Spoilers are out there about some stuff in Sunbreak.

Not really a shocker, but
Shagaru Magala is also in, confirmed and screenshots/vids are floating around of him. He looks great.

*edit*

7cp4dmmt1i591.jpg

giphy.gif

b650748f-8221-41db-87b1-3937a99d1865_text.gif

Last edited:

Kacho

Gold Member
I think it's time to double dip on the PC version. The game having ultrawide support @ 144hz is too tempting.

Danjin44

Espinas looks hilariously out of place in modern MH
I would say Espinas design is much more tame compare to other monsters in Frontier.

for example: Voijang
FF7j-jkWQAAf_cc.jpg

He could be Demon in SMT game and wont look out of place.

Pejo

I would say Espinas design is much more tame compare to other monsters in Frontier.

for example: Voijang
FF7j-jkWQAAf_cc.jpg

He could be Demon in SMT game and wont look out of place.
Oh yea I don't hate Espinas at all. He just has the more exaggerated features that Frontier tended to have, like his big ol' spikey melon.

Demo's out. Not going to play it much to keep things fresh for the full release but holy shit I love Switch Axe. Rise is already the best the weapon has been so far but I can see myself maining this for Sunbreak.

EDIT: Oh and Sharpness Regen! I haven't touched HH since finishing Rise's main story but wow.

Last edited:

Pejo

I am shame incarnate.

Somehow I carted to Tetranadon. He did some new move that was like a clap with dust that insta-stunned me, then picked me up and bit me and threw me, then did a charge ram wombo combo.

Loving the new monster aggression and new moveset that they got. Even Arzuros feels like a bit of a threat now. As expected of G Rank I guess.

Switch Skill system is easy to pick up in practice. The only new move that SA got in the demo was some sort of counter, but I couldn't get it work at all. Every time I would go into counter stance, no matter the timing, I would just eat the hit and the counter wouldn't do anything. Maybe I need to charge up sword mode gauge first? I dunno, seems kinda useless so far. It's nice to have more options at your fingertips though.

Is it just me, or have the textures been further improved in Sunbreak? The environments still very much look like a Switch game, but the monster and armor/weapon textures really popped.

I am shame incarnate.

Somehow I carted to Tetranadon. He did some new move that was like a clap with dust that insta-stunned me, then picked me up and bit me and threw me, then did a charge ram wombo combo.

Loving the new monster aggression and new moveset that they got. Even Arzuros feels like a bit of a threat now. As expected of G Rank I guess.

Switch Skill system is easy to pick up in practice. The only new move that SA got in the demo was some sort of counter, but I couldn't get it work at all. Every time I would go into counter stance, no matter the timing, I would just eat the hit and the counter wouldn't do anything. Maybe I need to charge up sword mode gauge first? I dunno, seems kinda useless so far. It's nice to have more options at your fingertips though.

Is it just me, or have the textures been further improved in Sunbreak? The environments still very much look like a Switch game, but the monster and armor/weapon textures really popped.
The SA counter works like Iai Spirit Slash, you need to press right trigger as the attack hits. It fully charges the sword if you pull it off properly. Don't know about textures, looks the same to me but I wasn't really paying attention. Didn't play with the settings either.

Danjin44

Yeah, it seems this guy has some nasty moves and really liking it.

Harvest Moon in LS is great but it’s not as “overpowered” as people made it out be when it first revealed. Once you use it you can’t move from that place and when you put your weapon away it cancels it.

F31 Leopard

Malzeno is such an awesome addition. It has to be one of my new favorite monsters in the MH series. It's move sets are so cool and is really fun to fight.

Skifi28

Finally had a chance to play for an hour or so:

*I can't say I noticed any new moves for the old monsters and they were as easy as ever. I was hoping for arzuros to kick my ass, but that was probably a little unrealistic.

*Astalos was a good workout, never got around to fighting him in GU and some moves really got me by surprise. Switching skills feels just right, great fun.

*Not touching the flagship as I always avoid spoiling the fight on demos.

My excitement that had dropped off is now up there again, I just wish they would announce the entire roster already instead of me sitting here hoping for stuff. I imagine there should still be 5-10 monsters to go.

Danjin44

can't say I noticed any new moves for the old monsters and they were as easy as ever. I was hoping for arzuros to kick my ass, but that was probably a little unrealistic.
Tetranadon definitely has new move set, he does his jump attack twice in the row.

Pejo

Tetranadon definitely has new move set, he does his jump attack twice in the row.
I never saw him pick up mud slabs and throw them or do the clap move that causes instant paralysis before in base Rise either. Then again, I didn't spend much time farming him.

Top Bottom