• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Rise: Sunbreak free update 1 details (new monsters, anomaly investigations, new locale & more)

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

https://www.monsterhunter.com/rise-sunbreak/update/en-us/ver11_00_01.html
https://www.monsterhunter.com/rise-sunbreak/en-us/topics/update11/
  • New monsters have been added and will appear in Gathering Hub quests.
  • New afflicted monsters have been added to the game.
  • New quests have been added.
  • A new quest system, Anomaly Investigations, has been added. Anomaly investigations will become available after completing the main story and progressing further in the game.
  • A new locale has been added: Forlorn Arena.
  • New weapons, armor, layered equipment, and skills have been added.
  • New facility added related to the Anomaly Investigations.
  • Qurious Crafting is now available as a new feature at the Smithy.
  • New Guild Card pages, awards, and titles have been added.
  • Two new speech timings have been added to Auto Shoutouts: "When the monster is pacified" and "When the monster is delirious".
  • You can now select a Badge of Heroes which will display next to your Hunter's name.
  • A new option has been added: "Hunter Connect Invite Settings".
Also bunch of bug fixes

Silver Rathalos & Gold Rathian announced in addition to Lucent Nargacuga & Seething Bazelgeuse

monster19.png

monster20.png

roadmap-en-us.jpg

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Do we know how the system that allows you to change the ilvl of monsters works?

Pejo

I wonder if anyone genuinely enjoys more Rath variants at this point in MH. At least Rise switched up their movesets for the base/apex versions. I'm so tired of fighting them personally.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I wonder if anyone genuinely enjoys more Rath variants at this point in MH. At least Rise switched up their movesets for the base/apex versions. I'm so tired of fighting them personally.

I think there nice to have because they do act slightly diffrent, however I'm more used to them being a step, like you go through Azure Rathalos and Pink Rathian then you fight the silver and gold, with each version being progressively more difficult.

However quite honestly I would have preferred to have MR versions of the APEX versions in base rise with actual armour sets attached to them, not just a bunch of HR points and materials for a useless weapon.

So yeah depending on the armour stats I'm interested but, it's not "omfg gold and silver!" or anything.

Last edited:

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Qurious Crafting looks like it will be awesome based on the dev preview from July. Wonder if they did any balance changes (looking at you harvest moon...)

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!

Sweet, it's a way meatier update than they implied at first with just showing the lucent & seething sub species, now we're getting even more sub species (and they all look pretty lethal here being so fast to combo, but then they also match your new wirebug capabilities which made the base game easier/faster) but they're also beefing up the end game stuff with the afflicted monster quests and crafting stuff from them, the investigation stuff, adding event quests finally and more!

It sucks people hated Rampage like the ace swimming in Tri, both are way more fun than some gimmicky ultimate elder dragon fights in the past that people didn't hate so much, yet these were abandoned over it. MR Ibushi/Narwhatever are less worth having and silly with the platform spawning moves. Rampage's tower defense made sense and shined in multiplayer as a diversion from normal quests and wasn't forced more than 2-3 times anyway. Give me MR Rampage please.

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

I despise every version of them; mhw rathalos was kinda ok.

Pejo

I despise every version of them; mhw rathalos was kinda ok.
Did you fight Apex variants in Rise? They both added enough dynamic bits to the fight to make it feel fresh at least, and they extremely cut down on the air time of both. They're enjoyable fights, and I can imagine both having awesome looking armor sets, but unfortunately Apex monsters were the red headed stepchildren of Rise, as far as gear.

Reizo Ryuu

Did you fight Apex variants in Rise? They both added enough dynamic bits to the fight to make it feel fresh at least, and they extremely cut down on the air time of both.
I don't think I did, I really disliked regular rathalos in rise, that damn claw/poison attack is more homing and inconsistent than ever, sometimes you can just walk to the side and dodge and other times you have to dive, otherwise you eat dumb damage, and poison and the bitch is ready to hit you with a fireball and then he's in the air again; fucking dick.

Pejo

I don't think I did, I really disliked regular rathalos in rise, that damn claw/poison attack is more homing and inconsistent than ever, sometimes you can just walk to the side and dodge and other times you have to dive, otherwise you eat dumb damage, and poison and the bitch is ready to hit you with a fireball and then he's in the air again; fucking dick.
Yea I wasn't a fan of the base raths in Rise at all, but the Apex are genuinely fun fights with interesting mechanics. Unfortunately, the rewards are basically worthless. Then again, something could be said for the fight itself being the reward.

I recommend giving the event quest Apex versions a go sometime. They're my favorite version of the raths in any MH to date, and they hit hard enough to make it a challenge even with mid MR gear.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Btw, that's a Lagiacrus in the title update 2 silhouette, yeah? I dunno if it was shown/known before this but I'm only just seeing it. Or is it some other thing, it seems to have moustache stuff like Almudron but the spiky neck bulge definitely says Lagiacrus to me. Wasted without swimming but still ace.

Last edited:

Pejo

Btw, that's a Lagiacrus in the title update 2 silhouette, yeah? I dunno if it was shown/known before this but I'm only just seeing it. Or is it some other thing, it seems to have moustache stuff like Almudron but the spiky neck bulge definitely says Lagiacrus to me. Wasted without swimming but still ace.
I saw people speculating on reddit that it's just an Espinas variant. I wouldn't get your hopes up with Lagi, I think the director said he wouldn't be in Rise. I thought it looked like Luna at first (please god no), but I do see the Espinas silouette.

Looks like a pretty sizable update. That qurious crafting is going to do a number on my set building OCD.

It sucks people hated Rampage like the ace swimming in Tri, both are way more fun than some gimmicky ultimate elder dragon fights in the past that people didn't hate so much, yet these were abandoned over it. MR Ibushi/Narwhatever are less worth having and silly with the platform spawning moves. Rampage's tower defense made sense and shined in multiplayer as a diversion from normal quests and wasn't forced more than 2-3 times anyway. Give me MR Rampage please.
My opinion on rampages have softened over time, I kinda miss them sometimes instead of loathing them all the time. If Rise had an MP system similar to World's were you can pick active quests to join then I probably would have wanted to join a rampage from time to time. The problem is Rise's join random quests throws them at you so much. It's even worse when peole keep quitting rampages so the next time I join a random quest I end up in another rampage cause there's a free slot. They're nice for a change in pace but goddamn were they annoying when all I wanted to do was hunt. It was the same deal with Ibushi and Narwa, they're fine every now and they but I didn't want to get sent to them all the time. At least I was able to alleviate Ibushi and Narwa's tediousness by making an IG set.

Last edited:

Pejo

My opinion on rampages have softened over time, I kinda miss them sometimes instead of loathing them all the time. If Rise had an MP system similar to World's were you can pick active quests to join then I probably would have wanted to join a rampage from time to time. The problem is Rise's join random quests throws them at you so much. It's even worse when peole keep quitting rampages so the next time I join a random quest I end up in another rampage cause there's a free slot. They're nice for a change in pace but goddamn were they annoying when all I wanted to do was hunt. It was the same deal with Ibushi and Narwa, they're fine every now and they but I didn't want to get sent to them all the time. At least I was able to alleviate Ibushi and Narwa's tediousness by making an IG set.
I kinda see what you mean about Rampage. I absolutely despised them at first because like you, I just wanted to hunt, but they are a decent change of pace. I'll still run the 7* rampages now and then because they're the fastest way to get Outfit vouchers for layered sets. The best thing that they did was interweave the siege mechanics with combat, but they didn't really explain it all that well - like the fact that you're supposed to get off the guns and fight the apex monster at the last gate. I've wiped too many times to people plinking away with the machine gun when a normal swing does 500-600 damage during counter signal. The UI is absolute horrendous too.

I really want swimming combat back in a future MH though, I loved the possibilities in 3U that it brought to the table. I didn't even mind the combat like most people did. I hope MH6 has it back, and we need paintballs and "hunting" back for monsters. Also Wyvern Riding needs to go. As it is, Turf wars are basically non-existent and it's literally only a benefit to have two monsters in the same area, there's zero danger in it. Part of the charm of 3U for me was that under a serene body of water there could be some real dangers. It gave the world a sense of mystery and fear just by not instantly knowing exactly where every monster on the map is. And Peco randomly calling in a Jho was always funny.

I mentioned in the OT, I feel like MH Rise is "arcade mode" of MH. Everything is streamlined to a fault and the combat is faster and more mobile than ever. I hope MH6 dials it back a bit for both of those things. I'd hate to see MH turn into a boss rush DMC clone. We have God Eater and other "hunting" games for those niches. It's been fun for Rise and I'll continue enjoying Sunbreak, but I think those gimmicks should stay and end here.

Switch skills are great though, and I wouldn't mind them coming back. They add a lot of flexibility to weapons, so you can play how you like. Also, they need at least one big slow "finisher" move for every weapon, no exceptions. It just feels so good to land one.

I really want swimming combat back in a future MH though, I loved the possibilities in 3U that it brought to the table. I didn't even mind the combat like most people did. I hope MH6 has it back, and we need paintballs and "hunting" back for monsters. Also Wyvern Riding needs to go. As it is, Turf wars are basically non-existent and it's literally only a benefit to have two monsters in the same area, there's zero danger in it. Part of the charm of 3U for me was that under a serene body of water there could be some real dangers. It gave the world a sense of mystery and fear just by not instantly knowing exactly where every monster on the map is. And Peco randomly calling in a Jho was always funny.
Not sure how I feel about swimming. On one hand, while Tri wasn't my first MH it was the first that clicked with me, a large part of that was cause of lance. And if there was a weapon that did fine underwater, it was definitely lance. And yeah, riding killed any kind of excitement in having two monsters in the same area. I still fondly remember World Bazel just dropping in all the time and everyone was just scrambling to get away from the bombs. Now, Bazel is basically just a large endemic life for the player to use. And obviously Peco's gimmick would be pointless as long as riding exists. Don't really have an opinion about monster tracking, I think it's just busywork but it's not tedious busywork. And speaking of busywork, the spiribirds definitely have to go.

Switch skills are great though, and I wouldn't mind them coming back. They add a lot of flexibility to weapons, so you can play how you like. Also, they need at least one big slow "finisher" move for every weapon, no exceptions. It just feels so good to land one.
If by that you mean being able to swap some moves for others, then I whole heartedly agree. If you mean the cooldown based wirebug combat, then pass.

Pejo

If by that you mean being able to swap some moves for others, then I whole heartedly agree. If you mean the cooldown based wirebug combat, then pass.
Nah I'm good on wirebugs. Wallrunning can stay, but bugs should live and die in Rise/Sunbreak. Just like Clutch Claw, it's fine for a contained gimmick, but I don't want that being a franchise feature.

F31 Leopard

I enjoyed Rampage especially when everyone knows what they're doing. I also love water combat. Switch skills are nice but I still prefer Hunter Styles/Arts. They need to bring back Blademaster/Gunner armor for sets. 1 design per monster is lame. If you like a gunner design over blademaster and vice-versa just layer it.

Top Bottom