• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Rise: Sunbreak |OT| MASSIVE EXPANSION ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Pejo

n4ZRQTk.png

Monster Hunter Rise: Sunbreak expansion
The world of Monster Hunter Rise gets bigger and deeper with this massive expansion featuring new monsters, new locales and more!

Available on Nintendo Switch and Steam
Releases at Midnight 6/30/2022 based on your region

A new adventure in a distant land
Renowned as the "Fierce Flame of Kamura” since the events of Monster Hunter Rise, you must set sail to uncover the cause of a terrible threat facing a kingdom across the sea!
220131_kohaku_01_%E3%82%B9%E3%83%88%E3%83%BC%E3%83%AA%E3%83%BC.gif

New enemies arrive, old foes return
Arriving in Elgado Outpost, you discover that the abnormal events threatening this kingdom are caused by Malzeno, Lunagaron and Garangolm – terrifying monsters known locally as the Three Lords. In addition to these new enemies, You must also face old foes as series monsters not featured in Monster Hunter Rise make their return!
220131_kohaku_02_%E3%83%A1%E3%83%AB%E3%82%BC%E3%83%8A.gif

Deeper gameplay
Your trusty Wirebug returns and is more useful than ever, with the addition of new abilities for all 14 weapon types that bring a new level of flexibility and depth to the hunting action.
220131_kohaku_03_PL%E3%82%A2%E3%82%AF%E3%82%B7%E3%83%A7%E3%83%B3.gif

A colourful cast of characters
Your new base of operations features a variety of locals to interact with, each with their own charming personality. Sometimes they will need your hunter’s help, and sometimes they will be the ones who help you out!
220201_kohaku_04_NPC%E6%8B%A0%E7%82%B9.gif

Note: You must own Monster Hunter Rise in order to play this expansion. Sunbreak content is accessible after completion of the 7-star Hub quest “Serpent Goddess of Thunder”. If you purchase this content while the game is open, you must restart the game in order to access the content.

Confirmed Monsters​

New Monsters

Malzeno​

mhr_sunbreak_malzeno.jpg

Garangolm​

mhr_sunbreak_garangolm.jpg

Lunagaron​

mhr_sunbreak_lunagaron.jpg

New Subspecies

Blood Orange Bishaten​

mhr_sunbreak_blood-orange-bishaten.jpg

Aurora Somnacanth​

mhr_sunbreak_aurora-somnacanth.jpg

Magma Almudron​

mhr_sunbreak_magma-almudron.jpg

Pyre Rakna-Kadaki​

mhr_sunbreak_pyre_rakna-kadaki.jpg

Returning Monsters

Gore Magala​

mhr_sunbreak_gore_magala.jpg

Astalos​

mhr_sunbreak_astalos.jpg

Espinas​

mhr_sunbreak_espinas.jpg

Seregios​

mhr_sunbreak_seregios.jpg

Shogun Ceanataur​

mhr_sunbreak_shogun_ceanataur.jpg

Daimyo Hermitaur​

mhr_sunbreak_daimyo_hermitaur.jpg

DLC Monsters

Lucent Nargacuga​

mhr_sunbreak_lucent_nargacuga.jpg

Seething Bazelgeuse​

mcTZ1t9.jpg

Bonuses and Versions

CustomImage_1_en.jpg

Bonus Add-on Content

- "Loyal Dog Costume" Palamute layered armor set
A fun outfit for your Canyne companion!

- "Striped Cat Costume" Palico layered armor set
A gorgeous new look for your Felyne friend!

Note: Layered armor is a "skin" which changes the appearance of the character without affecting their stats and abilities.

header_586x192.jpg

Deluxe Edition Content

- "Loyal Dog Costume" Palamute layered armor set
A fun outfit for your Canyne companion!

- "Striped Cat Costume" Palico layered armor set
A gorgeous new look for your Felyne friend!

Note: Layered armor is a "skin" which changes the appearance of the character without affecting their stats and abilities.

Enjoy a bundle of great additional content together with the massive expansion Monster Hunter Rise: Sunbreak in this Deluxe Edition!

Contains the Sunbreak expansion and the following DLC:
• "Dragonsbane" hunter layered armor set
• "C Hound" Palamute layered armor set
• "F Devout" Palico layered armor set
• "Take Aim" gesture set (4 gestures)
• Fight Pose Set (3 poses)
• "Elegant Eyes" makeup
• "Fluffy Curls" hairstyle

Nintendo Store - Monster Hunter Rise: Sunbreak

Videos

Reviews

Last edited:

F31 Leopard

Anyone know if Apex's have MR rank? Also if they have armor/weapons? Did they bring back alpha/beta sets or just one set per monster?

Pejo

Anyone know if Apex's have MR rank? Also if they have armor/weapons? Did they bring back alpha/beta sets or just one set per monster?
Well Rampage is gone (I think) in Sunbreak, so that probably ends Apex variants. I'm not sure what the new endgame variants will be though.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Just a heads up but you missed out Seething Bagel Goose.

mhwi-seething_bazelgeuse_render_001.png

Don't think they have a render for him in Sunbreak form yet but he's coming in the first DLC along with Lucent Narga.

Last edited:

Pejo

Just a heads up but you missed out Seething Bagel Goose.

mhwi-seething_bazelgeuse_render_001.png

Don't think they have a render for him in Sunbreak form yet but he's coming in the first DLC along with Lucent Narga.

Yea I also didn't have Shiggy in there, but the site I got the images from didn't have it, and I couldn't find one that matched the other images with the white background. I looked everywhere for a press kit for Sunbreak and they had next to nothing, unfortunately.

Also I added the monster list to a quote because I was getting tired of all the scrolling.

*edit*

There I found one with a white background and added it.

Last edited:

Pejo

It's out everywhere now! Updating on Steam as we speak.

Sadly I'm still finishing up 7* hub stuff in the PC version, so I probably won't be able to dig in until Friday. Thank god it's a long weekend coming up.

New size is just under 30GB on PC.

Have it downloaded but won’t actually play til this weekend, just too busy. Glad it’s a 3 day weekend though hehehehe

Last edited:
Feel free to add me Steambros

Lately I've only been playing SRW 30, TMNT, MHW and MHR. If I'm online on Steam, I'm pretty much down to hunt no matter what even if I'm playing a different game.

EDIT: Well, not immediately right now cause project but you know what I mean.

Last edited:

Pejo

Feel free to add me Steambros
Added. I hope to be caught up to Sunbreak by Saturday. I don't have much more left to do if I skip the optional stuff.

I played the shit out of this game before the PC version released, on Switch, so it's been kinda painful going around and completing all the deliveries/great wirebugs/camps and stuff again. I'm doing it a bit at a time though. The 60FPS alone makes it worth it though.

Guess it's a good thing that I actually tried starting the game even though I still have stuff to do. It kept crashing while compiling shaders so I actually have time to do a fresh install. Kinda sucks that the patch that I just downloaded is almost as big as the whole game.

Last edited:

Pejo

Guess it's a good thing that I actually tried starting the game even though I still have stuff to do. It kept crashing while compiling shaders so I actually have time to do a fresh install. Kinda sucks that the patch that I just downloaded is almost as big as the whole game.
I didn't get any crashes, but I did get a few stutters and had some performance issues.

Damn, the buffs to Switch Axe can be felt almost immediately. I want those new switch skills though :messenger_downcast_sweat:

I really want to stay up and keep playing but tomorrow's a long day at work.

Palamute's "sniff it out" skill is pretty cool, it makes farming endemic life a little easier. No more inventory issues either.

I bought the deluxe version, I am loving that vampire hunter-eqsue layered set. It looks so damn good. I'm tempted to try to make a Hellsing Alucard looking character. We need the Dante pistols emote then so I can truly style for my Guild Card.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Can anyone on pc tell me if they changed MP so you can search for a list of event quests instead of random ones?

Last edited:

Pejo

Can anyone on pc tell me if they changed MP so you can search for a list of event quests instead of random ones?
I've seen you ask this a few times now, but as far as I know, you have always been able to search out event quests. You just go to the board, pick "join requests", select Event Quests -> High Rank or Low Rank, then find the one you want to join.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
I've seen you ask this a few times now, but as far as I know, you have always been able to search out event quests. You just go to the board, pick "join requests", select Event Quests -> High Rank or Low Rank, then find the one you want to join.
Nope, event quests only had 'single search' option, meaning you kinda had to hope the one you selected was available.

Pejo

Nope, event quests only had 'single search' option, meaning you kinda had to hope the one you selected was available.
I just did a few today before Sunbreak hit, and I did it the exact steps I typed above. I even just logged back into the game and checked to make sure I was remembering it correctly. You can pick which event quest you want 100%.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
I just did a few today before Sunbreak hit, and I did it the exact steps I typed above. I even just logged back into the game and checked to make sure I was remembering it correctly. You can pick which event quest you want 100%.
Yes but that means nothing if nobody is playing that quests, you'll just sit there while it searches until it gives up.

Pejo

Yes but that means nothing if nobody is playing that quests, you'll just sit there while it searches until it gives up.
Oh yea, that's true. You can always just start the quest yourself and set it to open so that people can join you. I've done that a few times in the past and have at least 2 people within 2-3 minutes every time.

Tomi

2 bad graphics are pretty bad, i just lose hype to play when i see how bad this looks
Time to create mhw 2 capcom

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Oh yea, that's true. You can always just start the quest yourself and set it to open so that people can join you. I've done that a few times in the past and have at least 2 people within 2-3 minutes every time.
Hmm I tried that and it never worked, specifically because the event quests doesn't have the "random join" option, so unless someone picks your specific quest, you're kinda SOL; you'll probably have more luck with newer event quests, but high rank has 6 pages of event quests alone, this is why I was hoping sunbreak would give us a list instead of search (like MHW).

I blame nintendo.

Last edited:
Bit of a scare there when it couldn't find my save after I reinstalled. Thankfully I have like 5 back up saves after the same thing happened to me in MHW moving to Iceborne.

Chukhopops

Did the first quest of the expansion, feels good to meet the old crab again after so long.

Hammer buffs are pretty ridiculous especially Water Strike counter window and the damage buffs. Hope monsters will also become stronger as Rise was kind of easy until the late game.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Still a little sad that Capcom still have two full sets exclusive to Switch trapped behind Amiibo's

Rise
ofDGSpp.jpg

Sunbreak

FroXhsx.jpg

Shame because they look better than the actual sets you earn from the attached monster... which is why iv always argued against selling armour, it naturally makes the designers gimp the regular ones so the paid stiff looks better.

Last edited:

Pejo

Still a little sad that Capcom still have two full sets exclusive to Switch trapped behind Amiibo's

Rise
ofDGSpp.jpg

Sunbreak

FroXhsx.jpg

Shame because they look better than the actual sets you earn from the attached monster... which is why iv always argued against selling armour, it naturally makes the designers gimp the regular ones so the paid stiff looks better.
I'm sure they'll be modded in given enough time, I wouldn't worry about it.

Base Rise has stuff like this:
830-1656166903-1192780980.jpeg

It's RE Engine, so the sky's the limit.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I'm sure they'll be modded in given enough time, I wouldn't worry about it.

Base Rise has stuff like this:
830-1656166903-1192780980.jpeg

It's RE Engine, so the sky's the limit.

There in the game files apparently and yeah there's mods to replace the existing armour but it's more to do with making an outfit other people can see, sure it might look great for me, but then everyone else sees me wearing clown armour :(

I just wish they would put them in behind a bonus mission, hell just recreate the hard mode demo missions and make people do that for them.

Pejo

There in the game files apparently and yeah there's mods to replace the existing armour but it's more to do with making an outfit other people can see, sure it might look great for me, but then everyone else sees me wearing clown armour :(

I just wish they would put them in behind a bonus mission, hell just recreate the hard mode demo missions and make people do that for them.
It would probably show on your guild card at least, since we take our own pictures there.

But yea, don't get me started on Amiibo physical DLC shit.

Kacho

Gold Member
Got in a quick Daimyo Hermitaur hunt last night. Nice to have him back without the wonky hit boxes. Think I'll drop my main weapon and experiment with others in this expansion to keep things fresh. Excited to dig in proper tonight.

Kacho

Gold Member
Can Monster Hunter Rise be enjoyed in Singleplayer?
Absolutely. Single player is the best way to learn a monster’s move set and practice how to use your chosen weapon effectively.

There are two options for single player in Rise.

Village quests are an offline only thing. The monsters there are stupid easy and basically serve as a training wheels for noobs.

The Hub quests is where the real meat and potatoes are. Monsters are a bit tougher but you have the option to play them solo or with other people. Monsters scale depending on the amount of players in a hunt. You will also have additional monsters not found in the village quests.

Last edited:

amigastar

Absolutely. Single player is the best way to learn a monster’s move set and practice how to use your chosen weapon effectively.

There are two options for single player in Rise.

Village quests are an offline only thing. The monsters there are stupid easy and basically serve as a training wheels for noobs.

The Hub quests is where the real meat and potatoes are. Monsters are a bit tougher but you have the option to play them solo or with other people. Monsters scale depending on the amount of players in a hunt. You will also have additional monsters not found in the village quests.
Hmm, sounds nice, might gonna check it out.

Pejo

Hmm, sounds nice, might gonna check it out.
Also worth noting that you get 2 NPC companions in base Rise (a combination of cats or dogs, with different abilities), and it looks like you get actual story NPCs fighting beside you in Sunbreak's campaign as well. I haven't unlocked it yet so I don't know what it's all about. The monsters do not count these as players, so no monster scaling takes place if you use them.

Only hub quests are added with G/master rank it seems, according to Japanese FAQ site. I don’t have the game yet so someone pls confirm.
That would kinda suck if there's no village. I wonder how they handle hub-only campaigns? I guess all of the cutscenes do happen in town now, unlike World.

*edit*

Looks like the game's doing well. Weekday morning and it's already the highest concurrent user count that isn't a F2P game. Weekend numbers should be even better since it's a holiday in the US.

gmu3gxm9lr891.jpg

Last edited:

Chukhopops

Only hub quests are added with G/master rank it seems, according to Japanese FAQ site. I don’t have the game yet so someone pls confirm.
It works the same as Iceborne, there’s a brand new « village » complete with all shops and facilities where you do the Master Rank quests (formerly G-Rank) starting from MR1.

No idea if there’s an unlocked G-Rank Hub available later (like there was in Generations Ultimate). I’m MR2 so I haven’t unlocked much yet.

How is this game on the switch? Considering it but my backlog is huge

Haven’t played monster hunter since 3ds
It’s 30 fps so your eyes may take a bit to adapt but other than that, it’s fine. It looks better if you play handheld compared to docked.

I almost forgot how it feels to play without mods. Cutscenes locked to 30 fps is especially jarring when I have 90+ fps during gameplay. I have no idea why Capcom still has that in place. Also ammo crafting feels better now since the Sunbreak patch, I did see something about that in the patch notes but it was nice to see official confirmation that I wasn't just imagining Rise's radial wheel being clunkier than World's.

Top Bottom