• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Rise: Sunbreak |OT| MASSIVE EXPANSION ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I played a couple hours to get to the new town stuff and explore some of the Jungle. Great little area with tons of variety, over and underground and so different at night. Some of its tall views make this weird shading line following the player I've mentioned before more evident, overlooking the beach/ruins area from afar makes it look like a really large square around the player, past which something different is done with the rendering so it's a clear divide. I played a bit last night and in the Flooded Forest it wasn't at all evident but in the Jungle it is. The new silk set switch thing with the dodge possible after using it brings the game even more to character action genre territory, lol. But I'm still playing it old school like it's Tri, I guess all that stuff's too complicated for me (and I haven't really sat down to try to learn it all). Love the wall running now kicks in when running into things.

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

In this video we hunt our way through the first 18 minutes of Monster Hunter Rise: Sunbreak on Nintendo Switch. The newest expansion of Capcom's latest game in the Monster Hunter franchise, Monster Hunter Rise. Check out our Monster Hunter Rise: Sunbreak gameplay hunt of Daimyo Hermitaur with our Palico, Palamute and fellow Hunter. Sunbreak is the newest Monster Hunter expansion and here we show MHR gameplay on Nintendo Switch.

00:00 Sunbreak Start
01:58 Urgent: Uninvited Guest
02:08 Cutscene
03:05 Uninvited Guest Start
04:00 Daimyo Hermitaur Fight Start
14:25 Lunagaron Cutscene

Kacho

Gold Member
Maaaan the new combo switch skill for the Great Sword is just *chef’s kiss*. All weapons can be customized to a ridiculous degree so plenty of stuff to keep you busy.

Companion quests seem very neat. Should spice up the solo experience quite a bit. I like that they have their own subsection too.

Barely scratched the surface tonight. Only just unlocked MR2. Thank god for the holiday weekend lol. Going absolutely ham on this.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
I tried to turn a blind eye to the PC version, but the movement is so fluid and amazing at high frame rates.

I played a crazy number of hours on switch and imo the switch versions is one of the best games out there, but the allure of unlocked fame rate is too much.

Going to see how far I can get over the weekend on the PC version 200+ HR be damned!

F31 Leopard

Anyone completed the Tacky Photo request? I've been taking multiple photos of Garangolm's elemental arms but not getting the right shot to complete the request apparently.

*Edit* I finally got it. I just kept spamming the camera.

Last edited:

Pejo

I tried to turn a blind eye to the PC version, but the movement is so fluid and amazing at high frame rates.

I played a crazy number of hours on switch and imo the switch versions is one of the best games out there, but the allure of unlocked fame rate is too much.

Going to see how far I can get over the weekend on the PC version 200+ HR be damned!
Ah, a fellow double dipper, feeling my pain.

Xeaker

Harry Potter GIF

Why? World came for PS4 too? Are they retarded? Wasting good money.

Last edited:

Pejo

Why? World came for PS4 too? Are they retarded? Wasting good money.
I don't have any insight to the business side of things, but at this point it certainly appears that either Nintendo paid for some sort of exclusivity on Rise, or Capcom doesn't feel that the lower graphical prowess of Rise would be good for the brand on Xbox/PS. I would guess the former. It's almost a guarantee that "MH World 2" or whatever the title will be is currently in development for the rest of the systems. World was the best selling game of all time for Capcom after all.

I'm guessing that they're not releasing info on the new game until Sunbreak has been out for some time, as to try to soak up as many sales as possible and avoid "oh the bigger game is coming out soon, I'll just hold off on Sunbreak".

Mondai

Gold Member
What are you guy’s thoughts on Sunbreak? Bought it a few mins ago and going to start it soon.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
What are you guy’s thoughts on Sunbreak? Bought it a few mins ago and going to start it soon.

I think the crab you fight at the start will become a meme, as you fight that and then are essentially tasked with monsters you have already fought in Rise basic for ages... and are thrown multiple side quests that tell you to fight the crab again... including one with two crabs...

Its more of the same, I appreciate the new free "stacked" dango mechanic once unlocked and the skill switch is useful...

Less useful is when you gain access to a palico ultimate ability "lottery box" and equip it and it randomises all your old palico's abilities apparently based on what it pulls. Which is a shame because I think its the coolest design wise, but I'm staying away due to the reports of issues.

This dousent happen for any new palico you gain since the expansion.

The companion quests are essentially now the "singleplayer" component which kind or sucks because you actually unlock the ability to use them by playing a multiplayer hunt with one... meaning it's perfectly possible to hunt online with them, but Capcom decided to make it singleplayer only arbitrarily.

Overall I'm enjoying it, but in the same way Rise felt like a corner cut World, so far Sunbreak feels like a corner cut Icebourne. Only "certain" armour sets gain any visual difference from there LR/HR versions (considering world gave you an alpha and beta set for everything this feels cheap) and they decided that none of the palico and palimute armour would get a new visual design or any varient armours, looking forward to seeing if Apex's make a return since Gore and if they have there own sets in MR yet... but I'm not holding my breath

Last edited:

Spaceman292

Banned
Also worth noting that you get 2 NPC companions in base Rise (a combination of cats or dogs, with different abilities), and it looks like you get actual story NPCs fighting beside you in Sunbreak's campaign as well. I haven't unlocked it yet so I don't know what it's all about. The monsters do not count these as players, so no monster scaling takes place if you use them.

That would kinda suck if there's no village. I wonder how they handle hub-only campaigns? I guess all of the cutscenes do happen in town now, unlike World.

*edit*

Looks like the game's doing well. Weekday morning and it's already the highest concurrent user count that isn't a F2P game. Weekend numbers should be even better since it's a holiday in the US.

gmu3gxm9lr891.jpg
Holy shit how is CS GO still so popular

Skifi28

Only "certain" armour sets gain any visual difference from there LR/HR versions (considering world gave you an alpha and beta set for everything this feels cheap) and they decided that none of the palico and palimute armour would get a new visual design or any varient armours, looking forward to seeing if Apex's make a return since Gore and if they have there own sets in MR yet... but I'm not holding my breath
Yeah, that really sticks out. Many monsters have the exact same looking set in MR and no alpha-beta really limits options in both build and fashion hunting. That's just lazy for a "massive expansion" or however they market it, it barely has half the actual content of Iceborne. It seems like it was rushed just like Rise with having to wait for updates to complete the game.

Also...the first few hours bored me out of my mind. After the crab, the only new monster until MR3 is the Bishaten subspecies. If you're decked out (and I imagine most people are), there's nothing better to upgrade to gear-wise until that point either. It felt like I was still farming in high rank without the expansion.

Last edited:

Alexios

Some of its tall views make this weird shading line following the player I've mentioned before more evident, overlooking the beach/ruins area from afar makes it look like a really large square around the player, past which something different is done with the rendering so it's a clear divide.
Here's what I'm talking about. Easy to see the square sides in the first shot, then on the second it's the more common way it manifests pretty much anywhere, you can see it as a horizontal line just where those orange mushrooms are, but it applies the same to vertical areas etc. too. Please fix it...
monsterhunterrise_202yrjzp.png

monsterhunterrise_202ebjry.png

It's a beautiful game outside this. And then just some random shots (which don't really do the game justice, like I tried to take some of those underground areas with crystals but in stills they're not nearly as cool without their shimmering). Sweet ground texture there with the defeated Kulu-Ya-Ku.
monsterhunterrise_2027cjhs.png

monsterhunterrise_202h2kym.png

monsterhunterrise_202pvj22.png

monsterhunterrise_202xek38.png

monsterhunterrise_202axj0g.png

monsterhunterrise_202zikrb.png

Last edited:

Pejo

Here's what I'm talking about. Easy to see the square sides in the first shot, then on the second it's the more common way it manifests pretty much anywhere, you can see it as a horizontal line just where those orange mushrooms are, but it applies the same to vertical areas etc. too. Please fix it...
monsterhunterrise_202yrjzp.png
Damn, I know I've seen this myself from high up, but this screenshot really pronounces how bad it is. I really hope this gets addressed.

Would you guys be interested if I put a SteamID/NintendoID list in the OP? I'm trying to figure out how people used to do it so that only logged in users can see the list via a quote or spoiler or something.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
I have noticed that on PC when I have DLSS turned on. Will check it later without that option turned on.

**UPDATE**
Still seeing this issue with DLSS off. Also tried on a pc without the latest version of Rise or the Sunbreak dlc update and this issue isn't present for me there.

Last edited:

Alexios

I have noticed that on PC when I have DLSS turned on. Will check it later without that option turned on.

**UPDATE**
Still seeing this issue with DLSS off. Also tried on a pc without the latest version of Rise or the Sunbreak dlc update and this issue isn't present for me there.
The line moving alongside the player was always there, I've been mentioning it since the game's initial PC release (someone online said it's related to the fancier shadow settings on PC but disabling them didn't fix it either). I guess it's just usually not as obvious because even though you can climb up pretty much anywhere and go sky high in all the game's maps they don't tend to have the flat empty beach sand space of the Jungle shoreline so different elevation terrain and objects are in/out of the line hiding its sharpness. Still, I don't even understand if it is some performance measure because of the Switch (like low fps distant animations), the whole map detail is still there past that point, you can see all the monsters and endemic life and particle effects and what not, maybe it's just yet another bug/bad implementation of some REngine thing, like the broken TAA.

Last edited:

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
The line moving alongside the player was always there, subtler, I've been mentioning it since the game's initial PC release (someone online said it's related to the fancier shadow settings on PC but disabling them didn't fix it for myself). I guess it's just usually not as obvious because even though you can climb up pretty much anywhere and go sky high in all the game's maps they don't tend to have the flat empty beach sand space of the Jungle shoreline so different elevation terrain and objects are in/out of the line hiding its sharpness. Still, I don't even understand if it is some performance measure because of the Switch (like low fps distant animations), the whole map detail is still there past that point, you can see all the monsters and endemic life and particle effects and what not, maybe it's just yet another bug/bad implementation of some REngine thing, like the broken TAA.
Ahhh ok. On the PC version I only have access to the first shine field location. On my end I noticed it right away playing Sunbreak but when I played on on my laptop I didn't see it as quickly.

Weird for sure!

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
I don't think any of this stuff is "spoiler" territory but just in case you wanna go in 'SUPA FRESH...

The scroll system for switch skills is so DAMN great. Additional inventory management is also welcomed. New "Dragons Dogma Pawn" system for your pets is a cool addition and nod to that great game. One time use Pet quick travel points is great...but also stupid since they are only one time use per map visit.

Overall if you liked Rise at ALL I think this is the superior version of that game.

lauren lapkus eating GIF by NailedIt

Pejo

anybody on PC want to join up real quick to do the 2 delivery subquests (Garwa eggs and Wyvern eggs)?

*edit*

Nevermind, just found out you can use wirebugs while transporting items, made it super easy.

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community

Im at mr2 and so far it's all old monsters, except the crab, which shows up on multiple quests.

I knew fans wanted to see daimyo back but damn bit too much eh?

Alexios

Only doing a couple a hunts a day at best cos of work and stuff. Having quite a bit of fun seeing the new tricks the old monsters have and all the new materials and what not in the maps and what each unlocks in the forging/upgrading trees. I was a bit surprised the hermitaur was the first new monster right off the bat, I'd think the ceanataur is the less intimidating looking one of the two because of that giant skull on the hermitaur and its massive claws but I guess they're reversed in lethality so that's saved for later instead (although I imagine soon). I've made a few new weapons and decorations but haven't made new armor yet, still rocking the neat HR bazel set, that might be why I get the occasional cart even with these first few monsters as they do a lot of damage and it's easy to miss and forget healing being used to their HR counterparts. I might skip the unecessary quests to progress faster but so far I've been completing the MR 1 star ones even though I've unlocked the 2 stars (after just a couple missions, so you can progress super fast initially if you wanna skip stuff). I just beat 3 lagombis in a row and it was pretty fun even though it's one of my least liked monsters.

What's with the mixed user reviews on Steam, the game is still Rise, which was generally better received, but much better. All the additions, in and out of combat, are great, as is the new town with everything accessible in the one area (outside your room that is and although I would personally prefer it if they actually brought over things like the meowcenaries flying off and the item gatherers' subs at the dock and what not, instead of just being the shortcuts and not seeing the palamutes and felynes hanging about, that's minor). I've seen some complaints about fighting old monsters but that's just how the series is, you fight a new monster and a couple new sub species in a new hunting area right away and, again, the old monsters also have new moves and behaviours. Some claim the MR armors look the same but most I've seen don't, so far. Then there are complaints about the number of monsters yet, again, checking online, while it did add less than Iceborne, the base game already had more than World, so the totals are comparable, plus the title updates will probably bring it on par (just as World/Iceborne/Rise got more over time) if not put it on top.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I bought the expansion and went back to my save. I spent 30 hours on village quests. Only at HR5 at the moment. I am making my way to Sunbreak.

Chukhopops

What's with the mixed user reviews on Steam, the game is still Rise, which was generally better received, but much better. All the additions, in and out of combat, are great, as is the new town with everything accessible in the one area (outside your room that is and although I would personally prefer it if they actually brought over things like the meowcenaries flying off and the item gatherers' subs at the dock and what not, instead of just being the shortcuts and not seeing the palamutes and felynes hanging about, that's minor). I've seen some complaints about fighting old monsters but that's just how the series is, you fight a new monster and a couple new sub species in a new hunting area right away and, again, the old monsters also have new moves and behaviours. Some claim the MR armors look the same but most I've seen don't, so far. Then there are complaints about the number of monsters yet, again, checking online, while it did add less than Iceborne, the base game already had more than World, so the totals are comparable, plus the title updates will probably bring it on par (just as World/Iceborne/Rise got more over time) if not put it on top.
I think what people expect out of a G-Rank expansion is more than what Capcom usually adds in an expansion at launch, so some expectations are not met.

To me the only issue is that as of MR3 the game is still as easy as base Rise was, sure monsters became a bit stronger but I have a weapon with 40% more raw and a completely bloated armor with all needed skills and some comfort ones (evade extender 2, focus 2, slugger 2). Most likely it will stay like that until late game but we will see.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I think what people expect out of a G-Rank expansion is more than what Capcom usually adds in an expansion at launch, so some expectations are not met.

OK I know you prefaced this with "I think" so I'm just going to say "your wrong".

We have Iceborne the only other Master Rank expansion (yes yes G Rank, but its not this, it is quite clearly named Master Rank) is Icebourne and comparing to world's Master Rank expansion, sunbreak just has less and B steam reviews where glowing for Iceborne... you know... the other Master Rank... so it can't be an issue of not adding above expectations thats unusual, its adding below...

The other issue is you can actually read the steam reviews, and the reasons its mixed is because loads of people can't play the game due to technical issues. I myself have to kill my motherboards onboard HD sound codec to get the game to launch, since i use Dolby Atmos anyway thats no problem, but for people less technically knowledgeable it's essentially not letting them play the product they purchased, hence the low review scores.

Why do people defualt to "blaming the consumer for not understanding how great the game really is" whenever something dousent get above an 8/10 in user reviews. It's better than base Rise, of course it is but it also suffers from multiple technical issues and being the sequel expansion to a technically superior product.

Last edited:

Chukhopops

OK I know you prefaced this with "I think" so I'm just going to say "your wrong".

We have Iceborne the only other Master Rank expansion (yes yes G Rank, but its not this, it is quite clearly named Master Rank) is Icebourne and comparing to world's Master Rank expansion, sunbreak just has less and B steam reviews where glowing for Iceborne... you know... the other Master Rank... so it can't be an issue of not adding above expectations thats unusual, its adding below...

The other issue is you can actually read the steam reviews, and the reasons its mixed is because loads of people can't play the game due to technical issues. I myself have to kill my motherboards onboard HD sound codec to get the game to launch, since i use Dolby Atmos anyway thats no problem, but for people less technically knowledgeable it's essentially not letting them play the product they purchased, hence the low review scores.

Why do people defualt to "blaming the consumer for not understanding how great the game really is" whenever something dousent get above an 8/10 in user reviews.
I didn’t know about the technical issues so I’ll admit to that but for the rest I disagree with you.

There was plenty of pre-launch drama about Sunbreak roster and whether it added enough monsters. Iceborne added more monsters but to a smaller roster compared to base Rise, so both have comparable roster size at launch.

Iceborne also has mixed reviews as of today and a lower lifetime rating on Steam compared to Rise. My point is, what you get from Sunbreak is on par with previous expansions and you don’t need to buy another full price game to get the extra content.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I didn’t know about the technical issues so I’ll admit to that but for the rest I disagree with you.

There was plenty of pre-launch drama about Sunbreak roster and whether it added enough monsters. Iceborne added more monsters but to a smaller roster compared to base Rise, so both have comparable roster size at launch.

Iceborne also has mixed reviews as of today and a lower lifetime rating on Steam compared to Rise. My point is, what you get from Sunbreak is on par with previous expansions and you don’t need to buy another full price game to get the extra content.

To be fair, I do like how Master Rank essentially means you no longer buy a whole new game.

Also yeah looking back I am viewing Iceborne with some Rose tinted lenses, probably because at least for me it worked, from the reviews it appears that many of the technical complaints for Sunbreak are identical to Icebournes, broken save games, not launching, driver issues for specific hardware etc.

Pelta88

I got the Monster Hunter World platinum. 400+ hours of pure gaming bliss!

Also this beast was the most lethal. Krin required the most skill and tactics. I legit heard grown men shed tears and bitch about her in group chat lol

capsule_616x353.jpg

Pejo

Well I told myself I was just going to rush hub to Sunbreak on PC since I already cleared everything on the Switch version, but I just couldn't deal with not having red checkmarks down the line.

Ended up doing every village, every hub quest up to Narwa over the past few days. Tonight I finally unlocked Sunbreak. A few thoughts:

• New hub area is...meh. I prefer the aesthetic of Kimura better, but you can still use it if you want. New NPCs seem fine. New quest girl gives me uncanny valley vibes for some reason. She looks like a 65 year old child, somehow.
  • Fought Hermitaur and then just farmed myself the starter MR armor/weapons since I was still using HR6 Narga stuff. Damn what a huge Raw and Defense upgrade.
  • I'll hold out on making any definitive statements for now, but I'm a little underwhelmed with how Sunbreak starts out. It's probably because I've been grinding out the base game for days now, but nothing really feels that different in MR. I think it's a mistake to hold the Sunbreak exclusive monsters to higher MR quests. Nobody wants to keep fighting Arzuros and Hermitaur for 5 hours before you get to the good stuff.
  • Cutscene with Lunagaron and Fiorayne was cool.
  • MR Armor for base Rise monsters seems...identical? Did we really not get variations this time? To be fair, I didn't put a lot of time into comparing them, but everything I have available to look at looks pretty much the same.
  • Good to see the ol' football armor from Hermitaur. The palamute version was hilarious, even has a little pigskin on the side.
  • It's fucking late, I stayed up longer than I expected to, but I had to dick around in Sunbreak stuff for a while after unlocking it.

Alexios

I think armors from large monsters are about 50/50 on which look different. Here's some of them (I guess one is a different sub species armor but I imagine the base monster may be a recolor of that, rather than look like the lower rank ones, I dunno - edit: yep, and Rathian differs also).
Not that I'll even bother crafting the low end monster stuff myself. There are also new small monster ones like velociprey and hermitaur. Either way, gone are the days we even got different gunner/blademaster armors that looked totally different like in Tri, they wanna maximize profits.

Last edited:

Alexios

PC version seems to have started off well despite the negativity, folks say it peaked @ 231k, far surpassing the base game's 134k launch, though it didn't quite reach Iceborne's launch weekend of 284k. Nice. Also, I forgot Iceborne had such mixed and negative user reviews as well vs World. Huh.

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

Went from HR4 to HR8 last night, time for sunbreak; I really wish they kept the buddy system like world, meaning they go away/come back depending on how many people are in the mission.
Just running around gimped with one buddy, until someone joins feels bad, especially if they disconnect and now you're just stuck with one buddy for the rest of the hunt.
about her
Kirin, like most elder dragons, has no confirmed gender.

Skifi28

Aurora Somnacanth has to be the most unremarkable fight in the entire game. The monster just goes through the motions like somebody forced it to be there. They could have given us Fulgur Anja instead, now that was a proper subspecies.

Can't play so have nothing better to do than watch videos. Lot's of Western players seem to be going LBG over HBG but Asian players seem to be doing well with them. Shield Spread HBG looks to be pretty powerful and safe (so safe it can even reliably use Peak Performance). Very basic playstyle though, doesn't even really benefit from the new Switch Skills. Also saw that the HBG that was able to fire clusters horizontally, a meme weapon back in vanilla, is now looking viable in Sunbreak. But ammo capacity of three for Sticky 3 is somewhat annoying from a crafting standpoint since Sticky 3 is crafted by twos.

Skifi28

• Fought Hermitaur and then just farmed myself the starter MR armor/weapons since I was still using HR6 Narga stuff. Damn what a huge Raw and Defense upgrade.
  • I'll hold out on making any definitive statements for now, but I'm a little underwhelmed with how Sunbreak starts out. It's probably because I've been grinding out the base game for days now, but nothing really feels that different in MR. I think it's a mistake to hold the Sunbreak exclusive monsters to higher MR quests. Nobody wants to keep fighting Arzuros and Hermitaur for 5 hours before you get to the good stuff.
And you should consider yourself lucky, you still had upgrading to do which is fun on its own right. If you were on endgame gear, there'd be nothing to upgrade until MR3. It really was fucking boring!

Alexios

And you should consider yourself lucky, you still had upgrading to do which is fun on its own right. If you were on endgame gear, there'd be nothing to upgrade until MR3. It really was fucking boring!
Well, that's only ~6 hunts in, right? 2 + urgent to get to MR2, 2 + urgent to get to MR3. 5 maybe cos technically the urgent is of the next rank. So you probably got to upgrading as fast as he did, since he spent time farming the lower MR.

Do people normally upgrade every few hunts? It's not a Diablo like loot game to me, I only ever make a few armors on the way to the end game, then maybe a couple more and only bother with upgrading and decorations at that stage.

I made a ton this time but I'll probably just go sell it off and stop doing it, my OCD kinda kicked in and I wanted every sword, not just the latest of each path, so I remade the previous after every upgrade etc., dang. I did similar for armors, when I could just do the layered set for any pretty ones too.

Last edited:
I wonder how long til we get a proper set builder for Sunbreak. There's currently one right now but it's incomplete and has some errors. For me, half of the fun of an MH game is theorycrafting a comfy but still competitive set. I want to see what I can make for Gunlance, SA and HBG.

Kacho

Gold Member
Taking my sweet ass time with this. Was going to rush MR but I don’t see the point. Going at a leisurely pace so I can upgrade various weapons and get good with the new switch skills. This is the best the combat has ever been in MH.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Taking my sweet ass time with this. Was going to rush MR but I don’t see the point. Going at a leisurely pace so I can upgrade various weapons and get good with the new switch skills. This is the best the combat has ever been in MH.
Same, I'm going very slow pace with this game. In my opinion skill swap is best new mechanic in MH games, I hope it returns in future MH entry.

Last edited:

Kacho

Gold Member
Same, my going very slow pace with this game. In my opinion skill swap is best new mechanic in MH games, I hope it returns in future MH games.
Agreed. The ultimate skills in MHGU were cool but I didn’t want them in future games. I thought the changes they made to move sets in MHW were incredible and figured that would be the baseline going forward. Can’t believe they managed to go so far beyond that with the very next entry.

I truly hope the skill customization and mobility options are here to stay because there’s no going back. Fired up MHW on Friday and kept trying to wire bug everywhere. Lol

You made the right choice imo. I dropped my 300 hour switch save and moved to PC. Ya I had to start over but the frame rate alone was worth it. Also, having done everything I knew exactly what to make and what to focus on, got back to endgame in a 1/4 of the time. Now with Sunbreak I’ll be starting with pc. The resolution bump is also appreciated and shows off the detail in the weapons and armors more, they have more depth in their nooks and crannies.

Skifi28

Can't say I like the new seregios fight. He basically uses one move the entire fight and the player tracking is insane, it's more about timing your dodges than learning the fight which is not what monster hunter should be about imo. It's just not fun.

On the other hand, Astalos, shogun and especially lunagaron are all excellent fights. I just hope they nailed gore or I'm going to be really upset.

Pejo

Agreed. The ultimate skills in MHGU were cool but I didn’t want them in future games. I thought the changes they made to move sets in MHW were incredible and figured that would be the baseline going forward. Can’t believe they managed to go so far beyond that with the very next entry.

I truly hope the skill customization and mobility options are here to stay because there’s no going back. Fired up MHW on Friday and kept trying to wire bug everywhere. Lol
I like wirebugs for Rise, but I hope they're gone for future games. Similar to how I was glad that clutch claw was gone from Rise. These tertiary mechanics are usually fun at first, but in MR/G rank they always have to design monsters with these gimmicks in mind, and it makes them really unfun at a certain point. I can't be sure that they will make Sunbreak monsters have insane tracking or speed (to counter wirebugs mobility) since I'm still at MR1, but if what Skifi28 Skifi28 says is true, it sounds like they are going to.

It's like how with clutch claw, you pretty much had to waste time softening a monster every single fight because it was by far the most important debuff you could do, and would make any hunt take longer if you skipped it. Fun at first, but by late MR, it was just a chore you had to do every hunt, several times per hunt.

Weapon skills absolutely need to make a return though, in some form. I'm a fan of Hunter Arts and Styles from GU, but I understand that a lot of those were overpowered and unbalanced. What they did right was the flashiness and the feeling that what you were doing was cool and powerful. Still wish the laser sword from CB came back, that was the epitome of cool, flashy, powerful skills, and I think every weapon should have some slow startup big damage "finisher" like that. It just feels good to land it. Switch skills are a nice middle ground, but too many weapons ended up with less than stellar skills to begin with in base Rise. Can't comment yet on the new ones in Sunbreak, here's hoping they're all good or useful in some way. I think I saw that lance stole IG's downward stab skill. I mean, I'm glad they got an offensive move at least, but talk about underwhelming from an excitement viewpoint. There's so many cool things they could have done for an offensive lance skill...

Finally failed my first quest in the Steam version of the game, after 80hrs of playtime. The offender? Magma Almudron. Fucker is fast and hits very, very hard.

Update: also failed my first runs at Master Rank Rajang and Bazelgeuse. MR5 hits pretty damn hard, guys lol

Last edited:

Chukhopops

Switched back from Hammer to Lance and the madmen actually did it, they fixed the Lance which had been kinda crap since GU. The fixed Anchor Rage and cross counter plus the DPS increase makes the weapon finally fun again.

Also I was worried about the difficulty at first but by M3 things become a lot more interesting, MR Goss Harag is no joke.

Top Bottom