• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Rise: Sunbreak |OT| MASSIVE EXPANSION ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Don't forget that non-melee hunters take extra damage to physical attacks.
Huh, I had no idea (but I don't play non-melee, though I wanna try archer). I thought they got rid of that stuff when they stopped having different gunner vs blademaster armors and just giving you the one. Weird way to go about it but semi-understandable they had to cut asset costs for HD MH...

Last edited:
I was able to kill some monsters (including my least favorite: Tigrex) by using defensive dango skills as suggested by Pejo Pejo . But now vampire dragon is kicking my butt. Repeatedly. With one hit kills. I'm mostly running around healing, only for another attack to take away all the health I just healed. It's a bit frustrating.

Chukhopops

I was able to kill some monsters (including my least favorite: Tigrex) by using defensive dango skills as suggested by Pejo Pejo . But now vampire dragon is kicking my butt. Repeatedly. With one hit kills. I'm mostly running around healing, only for another attack to take away all the health I just healed. It's a bit frustrating.
What’s your defense stat? Getting killed in two hits is kinda normal at Master Rank but you shouldn’t be one-shot except from special telegraphed attacks. Do you pick up a few green bugs on the way?

I found Malzeno to be actually a bit easier than Rathalos MR or the Rakna variant.

What’s your defense stat? Getting killed in two hits is kinda normal at Master Rank but you shouldn’t be one-shot except from special telegraphed attacks. Do you pick up a few green bugs on the way?

I found Malzeno to be actually a bit easier than Rathalos MR or the Rakna variant.
I use different loadouts depending on the weapon's element, but it sits at around 580 defense. I don't pick up many bugs because they're just a hassle. It's a mechanic I never really liked in Rise. I'm not gonna run around for 10 minutes to just collect some buffs. But if I happen upon some, of course I'll pick them up. I mostly die to some of Malzeno's quick attacks, like when it stabs the floor with its wing(s) or when it teleports and does a ground slam. Those just kill me instantly if dango defender doesn't trigger.

jorgejjvr

Gold Member
Feeling really good about this build

Horn user (horn maestro is also there)

xWKyWOk.png

Chukhopops

I use different loadouts depending on the weapon's element, but it sits at around 580 defense. I don't pick up many bugs because they're just a hassle. It's a mechanic I never really liked in Rise. I'm not gonna run around for 10 minutes to just collect some buffs. But if I happen upon some, of course I'll pick them up. I mostly die to some of Malzeno's quick attacks, like when it stabs the floor with its wing(s) or when it teleports and does a ground slam. Those just kill me instantly if dango defender doesn't trigger.
Im at 577 and I’m farming Malzeno without being one-shot so I think it’s because of gunner armor type.

To be fair I think the Malzeno fight must be tough as a ranged weapon because of all the teleports and gap closers he has, he looks like he’s way easier as melee.

Aside from the bugs, slotting in defensive skills or playing more conservatively I’m not sure what advice to give.

Pejo

You can also try taking 2x Palamutes with the tank tools to reduce the overall time that you're the one being targeted. I haven't used a Palamute since base rise, so I'm not sure how effective they are at actually grabbing monster attention, but maybe it'll help?

Alexios

Made some good progress. Fun game is fun. This new monster was real easy though, next to no unexpected range & direction attacks, very predictable and I was never a fan of the Zinogre type monsters anyway. That was a big Magnamalo! The next for progress looks like it will be pretty tough too.
monsterhunterrise_202ohjqz.png
MonsterHunterRise_2022_07_10_22_36_02_900.png
monsterhunterrise_202ulkui.png
monsterhunterrise_2026bklh.png

Last edited:

ebevan91

Is Chain Crit good for the longsword? I feel like it would be if you're constantly attacking.

Last edited:

april6e

Gore was so insane. The areas in the citadel are so tiny and Gore is the largest non-final boss in both World and Rise. Was hyperventilating for 30mins trying not to die.

ebevan91

I was in a hunt yesterday with some randoms and we all got one-shotted at the same time once the monster got in capture range. I wasn't even mad the quest failed because that shit was so fucking funny.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
One thing I love about LS's Special Sheathe is you can position yourself while charging and once you start the attack you cant be interrupted but still take the damage.

Pejo

One thing I love about LS's Special Sheathe is you can position yourself while charging and once you start the attack you cant be interrupted but still take the damage.
I meant to tell you, I don't play LS but I saw a way to heal during Harvest Moon without breaking the circle.

The TL: DW version is just use the items from the radial menu and then spam draw attack. It's almost definitely a bug, so they'll probably patch it out eventually

Here's the full video if you want to hear this guy sloooowwwwlly explain everything.

Last edited:

Danjin44

I meant to tell you, I don't play LS but I saw a way to heal during Harvest Moon without breaking the circle.

The TL: DW version is just use the items from the radial menu and then spam draw attack. It's almost definitely a bug, so they'll probably patch it out eventually

Here's the full video if you want to hear this guy sloooowwwwlly explain everything.

That can be useful but when I usually get hit when using Harvest Moon I get knock out of the circle so is gonna break regardless.

I really enjoy using Harvest Moon, its risky but the pay off is very satisfying.

demigod

Haven’t bought this yet since i am running my son and nephew thru Rise until they beat the game. Does beginning of Sunbreak give better armor and weapons than end game Rise? I’m using Phantom Mirage Longsword.

ebevan91

I got a Quick Sheath lvl 3 talisman with 3 slots which is nice.

Haven’t bought this yet since i am running my son and nephew thru Rise until they beat the game. Does beginning of Sunbreak give better armor and weapons than end game Rise? I’m using Phantom Mirage Longsword.

Yes. But really your end game HR armor should hold you over until maybe MR3 but then you will absolutely need to start upgrading.

Yay, I can play again. Had to move to a different PC and it won't recognize my newest save but it did accept a pre-Sunbreak back-up. Wasn't really far in so no big loss.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I've settled on a comfy yet powerful set for sword and shield.

798 armor, 362 attack, crit eye 7, atk boost 5, crit boost 3, wex 2, handicraft 2 and a bunch of quality of life stuff like wide range 4, speed eating 2, defense 7, wirebug whisperer 1, blight resistante 3, recovery speed 3, wind proof 3, speed sharpening 3, master mounter 1, brace....

Not super sweaty, but competent yet confy. If y'all are interested holler and I'll post it. It's only weakeness is -14 dragon res so even dango doesn't push you out of the negs.

Last edited:
Not to sound like a downer, but the pacing is the worst I've seen in any game. 2 hours in I beat a monster at rank 5 or so and the end credits roll. Now I'm on rank 6, took down a Tigrex and I still have no idea what's going on. Am I in the post game? Is there an actual plot? Maybe its because I'm using a ranged weapon in the bow gun, but I haven't yet come close to dying and everything gets ready to be captured in under 10 minutes.

Been super busy so haven’t had much time to play. Just got to MR5, but made a pit stop to make all of Lunagarons armor, his LS, GS and LN. Now I’m ready to move on again.

Chukhopops

Finally killed the final boss after taking a break, it was surprisingly easy compared to the rest of MR5 but it was the coolest design since Nakarkos.

All in all, a very solid expansion with fun fights and gameplay improvements on an already great base. All new monsters and variants felt fresh and fun to fight.
Not to sound like a downer, but the pacing is the worst I've seen in any game. 2 hours in I beat a monster at rank 5 or so and the end credits roll. Now I'm on rank 6, took down a Tigrex and I still have no idea what's going on. Am I in the post game? Is there an actual plot? Maybe its because I'm using a ranged weapon in the bow gun, but I haven't yet come close to dying and everything gets ready to be captured in under 10 minutes.
Looks like you finished the village part, the single player quests you can do at the beginning. It’s kinda easy and designed for new players.

I don’t know at what point you can start the expansion and if you even have it but it will progressively become more challenging once you go into High Rank and then Master Rank.

As for the plot, there is one although it’s mostly an excuse to go kill shit and make equipment out of it.

DeaDPo0L84

A buddy bought me the expansion for my birthday that just passed. Hadn't played in awhile so it took a minute to get familiar with everything again. I use greatswords only, can't tell if the new switch skill is actually better but it feels more fun to use since it's quicker. Also happy to see the influx of mods that have come out since I last played helping take care of some minor annoyances I had with the game.

A buddy bought me the expansion for my birthday that just passed. Hadn't played in awhile so it took a minute to get familiar with everything again. I use greatswords only, can't tell if the new switch skill is actually better but it feels more fun to use since it's quicker. Also happy to see the influx of mods that have come out since I last played helping take care of some minor annoyances I had with the game.
Strong arm stance is really nice, and some of the later GS look absolutely amazing, you’re in for a treat

Alexios

Finally got to play for a bit after a week. Fun new quests. Just unlocked the first Seregios hunt, it looks like it will be fun but I don't have time tonight...
The newly unlocked longsword wirebug counter thing at this part I'm at, anyone know at what point of the whole animation the enemy attack has to hit for the counter to actually work? It's not quite clear. And do you still lose health, just less/you don't flinch/do more damage in return or not at all?

Last edited:

Danjin44

The newly unlocked longsword wirebug counter thing at this part I'm at, anyone know at what point of the whole animation the enemy attack has to hit for the counter to actually work? It's not quite clear. And do you still lose health, just less/you don't flinch/do more damage in return or not at all?
From what I can understand, before monster lands a hits, the window is much more smaller compare to Iai Spirit and Foresight Slash, but you hear a sound when you successfully countered.

Last edited:

Chukhopops

The postgame is really fantastic so far, between the afflicted monsters and the MR versions of former bosses like Ibushi.

The new Ibushi set is going to be my layered armor, much better than the HR set which looked ridiculous.

Now to keep farming the final boss to get all the components I need.

The postgame is really fantastic so far, between the afflicted monsters and the MR versions of former bosses like Ibushi.

The new Ibushi set is going to be my layered armor, much better than the HR set which looked ridiculous.

Now to keep farming the final boss to get all the components I need.
Afflicted monsters are far more interesting than tempereds from world. I do wish we had something like World's investigations though since that made for better farming endgame. That said, Rise has been pretty generous with drops so it might not need them for drops but it was nice for longevity. Rise really only has the charm grind which is RNG upon RNG.

I think I'm in love.

K5cCxRJ.jpg

And here I thought pre-Sunbreak LS was powerful. This thing is nuts. And the cooldown is so fast I almost have a new bug ready to use. The 4224 in the previous combo is cause I missed the Offensive Guard timing. It's still crazy.

Last edited:

Pejo

I think I'm in love.

K5cCxRJ.jpg

And here I thought pre-Sunbreak LS was powerful. This thing is nuts. And the cooldown is so fast I almost have a new bug ready to use. The 4224 in the previous combo is cause I missed the Offensive Guard timing. It's still crazy.
Man I wish I could get into GS. Seeing those numbers looks incredibly satisfying but I just can't get into the weapon and the pre-positioning shtick. I hear the tackle helps immensely in Rise, maybe I'll try it out again on a rainy day.

Man I wish I could get into GS. Seeing those numbers looks incredibly satisfying but I just can't get into the weapon and the pre-positioning shtick. I hear the tackle helps immensely in Rise, maybe I'll try it out again on a rainy day.
I hear that, especially in multiplayer. I've seen some really good GS players even with the added unpredictability of multiplayer and while I don't really care how long a hunt takes as long as it gets done, I swear they go by so much faster when grouped with those good GS players cause they hit like a truck. That said, so far my favorite weapon in Sunbreak has been Gunlance, between maxed guard/guard up, full burst, (reverse) blast dash and bullet barrage it's everything I love about artillery HBGs except it can travel halfway across an area in one go and nowhere near as squishy. I've yet to try out SA in Sunbreak but I liked it in the demo. As soon as I farm more mats I'll probably make a few sets. Looking forward to that since SA was probably my favorite weapon in base Rise.

Just play a more hit and run focused styled until you get used to the monster? After a while you’ll naturally see attacks coming and find yourself getting into an advantageous position.

Top Bottom