• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Moon Studios Signs Publishing Deal With Private Division (Take Two)

Dory16

Banned
Is Ori an Xbox owned IP or Moon Studio's? Because this clearly opens up the possibility of Ori becoming available on Playstation.

Looks like Ms have to give their consent:

the original Ori was actually published by Microsoft, with them retaining some stake in the IP. Talking to MCV, Aaron Greenberg said that Moon Studios came to Microsoft with a desire to put the game on the Switch, and they allowed it because they understood the position, and because, despite working with them, Moon Studios is not actually owned by Microsoft.

PresetError

Neophyte
Actually Microsoft owns the rights to the Ori IP, so it's up to MS.

Thanks. Makes sense. After the news today I didn't understand why Xbox would give Ori such space in their Showcase if it's going fully multiplatform (I know it's already on PC and Switch).

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
TTwo is pretty 'buddy-buddy' with PlayStation....
Private Division, not so much when they allowed Outer Worlds on GamePass day 1

This is probably going to be related to the ARPG they are making.

Wtf.

Why did Microsoft let them go? Them and Playground are the two success stories for them this gen.
They never were with MS and on REEE Mahler stated they want to stay indenpended. As far as I understand it's multinational company, which would be hard to coordinate in normal fashion. Owners are from Austria, but team is scattered all over the globe.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!

PresetError

Neophyte
Private Division, not so much when they allowed Outer Worlds on GamePass day 1

This is probably going to be related to the ARPG they are making.

Outer Worlds is an Obsidian IP. Obsidian is a Microsoft studio. This expansion is clearly contractor work.

Vawn

Banned
Ori is great, but these guys could easily just make a new 2D Metroidvania with a similar art style, if MS owns the IP.

It isn't the characters or story that makes Ori great, it's the gameplay and graphics.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Ori is great, but these guys could easily just make a new 2D Metroidvania with a similar art style, if MS owns the IP.

It isn't the characters or story that makes Ori great, it's the gameplay and graphics.

tenor.gif

Its the entire package.

splattered

That's good news for non xbox players, maybe MS is working with them to put Ori 1 and Ori 2 on PS4 and the sequel on Switch?

For them to pass up this dev though is interesting... maybe they really ARE working on a larger aquisition deal like WB Games Studios or just pieces of them?

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
That's good news for non xbox players, maybe MS is working with them to put Ori 1 and Ori 2 on PS4 and the sequel on Switch?

For them to pass up this dev though is interesting... maybe they really ARE working on a larger aquisition deal like WB Games Studios or just pieces of them?

Its a pretty small team and I have to wonder if they simply just dont want to work on AAA stuff. Not that Microsoft would make them but I would have to assume there would be a lot of pressure being a first party studio vs a publishing deal that you can negotiate your terms.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned

I've owned an Xbox One since launch. I bought four games for it:

Cuphead
Ori and the Blind Forest
Ori and the Will of the Wisps
Sunset Overdrive

I need to hear something big like they're bringing back the studio that made Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon, or something.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!

Cuphead
Ori and the Blind Forest
Sunset Overdrive
Ok and? Hows that make anything a rough week? Moon Studios getting a publishing deal is rough?

-Arcadia-

Banned
Seconding that Microsoft should have locked their project, if it looks good, or them down. Having a 2D developer that good in your stable really lends you some gaming cred.

However, it's entirely possible that the developer didn't want to be on one platform, and wanted to chase all of gaming. Ori's Switch port would indicate that.

Cuphead
Ori and the Blind Forest
Sunset Overdrive

I need to hear something big like they're bringing back the studio that made Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon, or something.

Man i loved Blue Dragon :messenger_loudly_crying:

Shakka43

Kinda wild Microsoft didn't secure them as a first party studio. The Ori games were (imo) their best offerings this generation.

The Alien

Banned
Pretty sure Moon Studios made comments that they wish to remain independent (as I do think MS did float an offer).

MS still retains the Ori IP...something they have finally learned a lesson on.

Saw a few prior comments about Obsidian and Outer Worlds. Obsidian and Private Division made their deal prior to MS acquisition. Obsidian owns the Outer Worlds IP (which now MS owns).

Freeman

Banned
Phil said he doesn't care where we play, no reason for him to block Ori from releasing on the PS4,, unless he is lying that is.

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Ahh. So you're trolling. Got it 👍.

He's the king of concern and passive aggressive Xbox trolling .

On topic, it's too bad Xbox couldn't add Moon to their stable but the developer wanted to remain independent, so it's great they got a publishing deal with Private Division since they allow developers to retain ownership of their IPs. I'm looking forward to whatever Moon has next.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
He's the king of concern and passive aggressive Xbox trolling .

On topic, it's too bad Xbox couldn't add Moon to their stable but the developer wanted to remain independent, so it's great they got a publishing deal with Private Division since they allow developers to retain ownership of their IPS. I'm looking forward to whatever Moon has next.

I will play anything Moon Studios puts out at this point.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I dont think anyone would argue but the studio has to be willing to make a deal.
Apparently they were open to some form of deal. Does this mean that Private Division outright owns them? Kinda like Activision had Bungie?

Top Bottom