• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MordorIntelligence report shows that 56% of game developers did not develop for any VR headset in 2022.

https://www.mordorintelligence.com/industry-reports/virtual-reality-in-gaming-market

Much of this is a summary of a not free report, however there are some insights from it that are given here, and the most prominent is the percentage of devs that were working on select VR headset brands in 2022.

In it, it shows that 56% of gaming developers were not working on VR headsets at all in 2022,

1678081713863_reseller_virtual-reality-in-gaming-market_Share_of_game_developers_worldwide_working_on_game_projects_for_select_VRAR_platforms_in_2022.png

Of course Quest topped the list but when you have 56% still not interest in VR, that makes it hard to get more ambitious games, and higher AA and AAA type games on VR headsets. Even with the Quest interest is decently higher, but if Quest 2 was slowing down more or not there in 2022, things would be dire. This includes devs specifically working on games for PlayStation VR2, the recently released console, in the year 2022.

I believe that there is some fault in the developers, but the two big things that need to change to improve things imo, is first, Headset makers need to do a better job of incentivizing, and giving tools to developers so it's not as much as a hassle ro get VR games done. Second, there needs to be some sort of plan for roi. Pimax recently announced a couple days ago that they are going to do 100% revenue share and allocate 100k to help smaller devs. Taking profit on their hardware instead.

While the other companies shouldn't go that extreme with such high risk, at least it's something. TCL is working on tools so higher-quality software is easier to develop. We need more solutions to see more devs take VR seriously, which will lead to higher quality software.

StueyDuck

Aaaaah... classic "polls". Those are always accurate 🤣. I asked 10 friends and this result, therefore its official

I mean isn't it obvious less of the gaming industry works on VR. Did we need a scientist to figure that one out for you.

Also less than half of ALL developers (we'll pretend that's exact numbers, considering the poll is dumb) is actually really strong numbers when the rest of gaming is PC/multiple consoles/multiple handhelds and the gigantic disgusting swath of mobile games.

Did anyone here actually think we'd have more developers working on VR when your average call of duty game has like 3000 people attached to it at one time.

Last edited:

Tsaki

44% of all gaming devs are working on VR? That's a huge number and it even excludes lots of devs that belong to Microsoft and Nintendo. Joking aside, who names their brand MordorIntelligence?

Buggy Loop

44% of devs working on VR is huuuge!

No.. no no no, not like this!

Uh

Tech demos? Mobile games, yes mobile games, would easily eat all that up. But when we asked devs we… we, uh, asked them if they were working on a VR game but also… when they 44% said yes, we estimate that, it was clearly not a no, so, not valid. Clearly mobile games, but then why answer yes, I think they confused shit mobile games for the dead end about to collapse VR market clearly

The One Where Estelle Dies Episode 15 GIF by Friends

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
56% of VR developers or 56% of ALL game developers?

Because if it's the first one, it is concerning. But if it is the latter one, it's freakin' amazing news for VR if 44% (nearly half) of all game developers and publishers have shifted resources to VR content.

That means that 44% of all game studios in the whole world are doing VR projects?

How is this an L, that is a HUGE number of developers.

Making gimmicky minigames they can flog on the cheap. Percentage of games of any worth is probs at 5%.

Where is the next HL Alyx? Until there is a game of that level out a few times each year VR is not worth any investment as a consumer in my opinion.

GeekyDad

I'm still stuck on the logic of the thread title:

"...game developers did not develop for any VR headset in 2022..."

If you could just add a simple word or two, the context would easily make sense.

"game developers did not develop [games] for any VR headset in 2022..."

Considering the site you're on, the word "games" should kinda be a gimmie, no?

StueyDuck

Making gimmicky minigames they can flog on the cheap. Percentage of games of any worth is probs at 5%.

Where is the next HL Alyx? Until there is a game of that level out a few times each year VR is not worth any investment as a consumer in my opinion.
Alyx doesn't exist without valves constant attempts with their tech demos testing the product.

Those who play vr on PC know this.

Barring the gravity glove tech. Basically all other gameplay elements in alyx were in vr lab and their index demos

Last edited:
How do you know the 56% that haven't aren't also mobile devs or tech demo devs?

This post is dumb, I didn't say ALL mobile and tech demo devs were making games for VR< you had to make that up to feed your imagination.

I'm still stuck on the logic of the thread title:

"...game developers did not develop for any VR headset in 2022..."

If you could just add a simple word or two, the context would easily make sense.

"game developers did not develop [games] for any VR headset in 2022..."

Considering the site you're on, the word "games" should kinda be a gimmie, no?

So you're confusion is you didn't know the game developers make games even though that's their title?

Last edited:
Alyx doesn't exist without valves constant attempts with their tech demos testing the product.

Those who play vr on PC know this.

Barring the gravity glove tech. Basically all other gameplay elements in alyx were in vr lab and their index demos

So you didn't answer my question? Let's not pretend other studios operate like valve.

kiphalfton

There's a lot of a devs. And a lot of devs only make a new game every couple years. And this tech is not that old.

Thread is stupid af and op should be banned.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
What is Eddie's hateboner for VR? It's the most interesting thing to happen in gaming since Online multiplayer

Top Bottom