• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

More data: Horizon Forbidden West has a 67/33 PS5 to PS4 split in UK DIGITAL sales. The game has a free upgrade and is cheaper on the PS4.

Why did Consumers buy the PS5 digital version of Horizon? (multiple choices allowed)

• Total voters

ckaneo

So the last thread I made was about the 70/30 split, PS5 to PS4 box sales split. Was interesting to see the reasoning people used for buying the PS5 disc over the PS4 despite being more expensive. However these reasonings do not apply to the digital sales because you get the same exact thing for less and there is no difference here. Showing that Sony successfully pulled a fast one. 67% of Horizon: Forbidden West's download sales were for the PS5 version of the game.

Also showing that cross gen is useless, because people will wait to buy games on the newest consoles. I wonder how many of the 33% would have even bought the ps4 version had it not been cheaper. That said due to covid shortages I dont think you can be too mad about Horizon being crossgen.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...ales-were-digital-in-the-uk-uk-digital-charts

Portugeezer

Gold Member
£10 for nothing.

Jim Carrey Laughing GIF

onQ123

So the last thread I made was about the 70/30 split, PS5 to PS4 box sales split. Was interesting to see the reasoning people used for buying the PS5 disc over the PS4 despite being more expensive. However these reasonings do not apply to the digital sales because you get the same exact thing for less and there is no difference here. Showing that Sony successfully pulled a fast one. 67% of Horizon: Forbidden West's download sales were for the PS5 version of the game.

Also showing that cross gen is useless, because people will wait to buy games on the newest consoles. I wonder how many of the 33% would have even bought the ps4 version had it not been cheaper. That said due to covid shortages I dont think you can be too mad about Horizon being crossgen.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...ales-were-digital-in-the-uk-uk-digital-charts

Where is the fast one?

If everyone would have bought the PS4 version what would have been the point of the devs even making a PS5 version?

ckaneo

Where is the fast one?

If everyone would have bought the PS4 version what would have been the point of the devs even making a PS5 version?
Huh? Everyone should have bought the ps4 version because it gives you the ps5 version but is cheaper.

Sony pulled a fast one by offering the same thing for a different price.

Last edited:

Hoppa

I got the special edition which they didn’t have on PS4 (where I live at least) so I don’t feel too devastated about it

Gamerguy84

Forgot the option "Laughs at everyone who double and triple dips on games" because I've read a lot of those posts.

onQ123

Huh? Everyone should have bought the ps4 version because it gives you the ps5 version but is cheaper.

Sony pulled a fast one by offering the same thing for a different price.

They didn't offer the same thing for different prices the original plan was for a $10 upgrade fee so the devs wouldn't be doing extra work for nothing but they was shamed into making it a free upgrade & after doing so people still chose to pay the extra money for the PS5 version. Why are y'all upset that people paid the devs for their extra work?

Last edited:

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Is the 2nd option the 'Consumers are stupid and buy the more expensive version for no reason'?

ckaneo

They didn't offer the same thing for different prices the original plan was for a $10 upgrade fee so the devs wouldn't be doing extra work for nothing but they was shamed into making it a free upgrade & after doing so people still chose to pay the extra money for the PS5 version. Why are y'all upset that people paid the devs for their extra work?
Bruh, the donation option is right there. Option 2

ckaneo

It's not a donation , when you work do your boss say here is a donation for doing your job?
Guerilla is a first party studio. They are salary employees lol. The profit isnt distributed among them for a ps5 version

Last edited:

Plantoid

It's a mix of not knowing and not wanting to go through the hassle that is upgrading

Smart delivery has a downside (like in elden ring) but for the consumer it's the right way to deliver a good experience

ckaneo

Why are people so concerned about others spending an extra £10? Who actually gives a shit?
It matters because the only way to keep games at $60 was for companies to see that consumers are price sensitive. When you give them an inch they will take the mile and keep increasing prices. Horizon was actually a good test for Sony's $70 dollar games policy because it also came with an identical $60 option. Microsoft hasnt committed to $70 dollar games. But when they see shit like this...

It matters because the only way to keep games at $60 was for companies to see that consumers are price sensitive. When you give them an inch they will take the mile and keep increasing prices. Horizon was actually a good test for Sony's $70 dollar games policy because it also came with an identical $60 option. Microsoft hasnt committed to $70 dollar games. But when they see shit like this...

Well now we know. People don't care. If they want something they will buy it regardless of price. An extra £10 will hardly break the bank and deter anyone. I don't like the price increase but its done.

Top Bottom