• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

More than 74% of Women of All Ages Play Mobile Games Daily, 67% See it as a Vital Source of ‘Me Time’

https://www.gamespress.com/en-US/Mo...All-Ages-Play-Mobile-Games-Daily-67-See-it-as
74% of those surveyed say that they play mobile games once - several times per day; and more than 67% quoted mobile gaming as a vital part of daily ‘me time’, stress relief, relaxation and fun. In fact, when asked specifically how they like to spend their ‘me time’, across the board, women of all ages are choosing mobile gaming as a key means to relax and unwind, with almost 73% of women aged 35-44 years playing mobile games during their ‘me time’.

Simonetta Lulli Gómez, CEO, GameHouse, said, “Thanks to our unrivalled heritage of the past 25 years in the genres that women engage with the most, GameHouse aims to own the ‘Me time - Game time’ mobile gaming experience.”

She continued,As a company we are on a mission to design around female gaming preferences and to encourage women to take their ‘me time’ and enjoy it! We believe that GameHouse’s casual mobile and PC gaming experiences, with strong relatable characters and story narrative, provide the perfect escape from day-to-day commitments, to unwind and recharge your batteries.”

Where watching TV and listening to music remain big hitters for women wanting to switch off, the research indicates that mobile gaming has also become central to their down time and entertainment. 60% of 35-44 year-olds surveyed said they enjoy spending their ‘me time’ listening to music and 20.97% doing DIY. But 33% said they favour playing games, with 25% of 45-54 year-olds and 20% of 55-64-year olds enjoying playing games in their ‘me time’. Amongst all means of relaxation and entertainment, for women aged 18 years+, overall gaming ranked the sixth most popular way to relax and unwind amongst respondents.

60% of those aged 18 years+, said they see gaming as fun, with over half valuing it as a means to ‘relieve stress’ and 39% as a means to ‘take a moment for myself’. Additionally, two thirds of women aged 18 years+ said they feel ‘relaxed’, ‘stimulated’, ‘engaged’ or ‘focused’ when on their mobile, proving that mobile provides the perfect escape from day-to-day commitments for all ages. They enjoy spending a lot of time each day gaming, with 33.22% playing several times a day and 41.04% playing once or twice per day.

Within gaming, Bubble Shooters, Puzzle, Word, Board and Collapse games ranked the highest, with 48%, 35%, 35% and 32%, respectively, playing these genres currently or over the past three months. Overall, women value the problem solving, challenge, growing and strategic thinking aspects of gaming the most. Of those surveyed, mobile remains the most popular gaming platform for women, with 42% playing games on Android and 54% on iPhone.

When asked how else they like to spend their time on mobile, respondents confirmed they like to focus on social media (76%), streaming entertainment like video and music, researching, browsing and shopping (66%) and communicating with friends and family (60%).

Seems that Women prefer overwhelmingly to game on mobile. 74% of women in fact.

48% play Bubble shooters.
35% play Puzzle games
35% play word games
I don't know what a collapse game is, but 32% of women play that.

33.22% play several times per day. 41% once or twice a day.

This is interesting because the most popular genres on phones like Angry Birds and stuff like Gangstar and Subway Surfers must not be that popular with women.

Also in the data, 76% of women like to spend their mobile free-time on social media.

Have there been new popular recently released bubble shooters? Didn't think that was still a big genre.

One take away from this data is that gamers don't have to worry about home consoles being in danger. Sony isn't going to cancel the next god of war for a new rainbow stars or bubble bobble AAA partnership.

Comandr

I used to work with an older lady in her 60s who was absolutely cracked out on Panda Pop. Every chance she gets she's playing it. And I'm like... Why did Puzzle Bobble die and this took over peoples lives? What happun?

The Sims, Farmville, Candy Crush, Sudoku...not even once. Just say no ladies.

My wife and daughter both like The Sims, who am I kidding trying to compete. At least my daughter loves CTR and Rayman Legends with dad, there's hope for her yet. Wife is already lost though, stupid Jackbox bomb party game breaking up marriages.

Closer

The Sims, Farmville, Candy Crush, Sudoku...not even once. Just say no ladies.

My wife and daughter both like The Sims, who am I kidding trying to compete. At least my daughter loves CTR and Rayman Legends with dad, there's hope for her yet. Wife is already lost though, stupid Jackbox bomb party game breaking up marriages.

It is already broken when you want it only your way lol

Three

https://www.gamespress.com/en-US/Mo...All-Ages-Play-Mobile-Games-Daily-67-See-it-as

Seems that Women prefer overwhelmingly to game on mobile. 74% of women in fact.

48% play Bubble shooters.
35% play Puzzle games
35% play word games
I don't know what a collapse game is, but 32% of women play that.

33.22% play several times per day. 41% once or twice a day.

This is interesting because the most popular genres on phones like Angry Birds and stuff like Gangstar and Subway Surfers must not be that popular with women.

Also in the data, 76% of women like to spend their mobile free-time on social media.

Have there been new popular recently released bubble shooters? Didn't think that was still a big genre.

One take away from this data is that gamers don't have to worry about home consoles being in danger. Sony isn't going to cancel the next god of war for a new rainbow stars or bubble bobble AAA partnership.
I think collapse game are tile based collapse games like Candy Crush, Tetris, or those blocks you swipe left or right to get rid of lines. Angry birds may also be considered a "collapse game" to some answering the survey which might account for the absence you're seeing rather than women not playing it. Was there a questionnaire for men too you can compare to?

Last edited:
No consoles? Consoles are gonna peter out eventually I guess.

PC will live longer.

Hence PlayStation's interest in PC. Hopefully Nintendo also jumps on board.

Good thing we have a generous platform holder that doesn't asks for 30% cut for every software sold on it. You can even make your own store.

Imtjnotu

excited patriarchy GIF by SAG Awards

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

PC will live longer.

Good thing we have a generous platform holder that doesn't asks for 30% cut for every software sold on it. You can even make your own store.
Unless something drastic happens changing gaming, PCs will outlast consoles.

Over the decades, you can already see many console makers bailed.... Atari, NEC, Sega and all the smaller bit players who came and went. MS, Sony and Nintendo are just bigger and better financed.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
My wife plays zero games and my 6 year old daughter’s favorite game is Astro’s Playroom or anything with Kirby in it. Happy that nobody in my fam is part of the problem.

ParaSeoul

Those surveys from a few years ago that were spread around said 50 percent of gamers were women and I was immediately skeptical thinking it must have been mobile games but they never clarified it,good to know I was right.

Last edited:

PC will live longer.

The numbers will always be highly skewed towards mobile when making any comparison like this. Mobile is such a massive entity that you’d have to completely remove it from the study to compare the rest of the data.

Unless something drastic happens changing gaming, PCs will outlast consoles.

Over the decades, you can already see many console makers bailed.... Atari, NEC, Sega and all the smaller bit players who came and went. MS, Sony and Nintendo are just bigger and better financed.
I think MS will always believe in a set console box for more casual audiences who want an easy, cheaper AAA gaming experience. Plus it’s an easy bridge into their gamepass ecosystem. I don’t think the idea of a console is going away, especially now that Steam Deck is a success.

Valve just needs to unveil a gamepass-like service with Steam Deck 2.

mdkirby

My mom plays that wordle game daily, records everything in a notebook too which she then puts into excel (she’s weird like that). My wife plays match3 games every day, rarely plays PlayStation etc except for crash bandicoot etc. First proper game she’s played in years is hogwartz, as is the case with several of her friends. I don’t think it’s that women aren’t really console gamers, it’s just that most console games don’t have appeal to them, and they would need to break through in terms of marketing. They are on their phones all the time, so it’s an easy conversion from an ad to playing. Much bigger step/barrier to go from phone to controller. Plus camera control is a barrier to many.

kanjobazooie

Mouse Ball Fetishist
The same research also said 71% of men play mobile games. The numbers are pretty much similar in this regard.

I didn't bother to check the methodology, but this is another statistic from this research:
6ZxtoiY.png

Last edited:

NikuNashi

My wife plays games everyday, usually one of the following :-

1. Hide my stuff in unusual places other than the agreed place where it's been kept up until now.

2. The memory game of bringing up things from 2-5 years ago in contemporary arguments.

3. General push my buttons.

midnightAI

The same research also said 71% of men play mobile games. The numbers are pretty much similar in this regard.

I didn't bother to check the methodology, but this is another statistic from this research:
6ZxtoiY.png
PC gaming is that low? Although, in our household, PS5 is used the most, then Switch, then PC, then mobile, I guess everyone is different.

My wife plays games everyday, usually one of the following :-

1. Hide my stuff in unusual places other than the agreed place where it's been kept up until now.

2. The memory game of bringing up things from 2-5 years ago in contemporary arguments.

3. General push my buttons.
Our favourite game is me reiterating that the bookshelves are for BOOKS and those only then, a few days later, me pointing out the photos, flower pots, cups full of pens, keys, hair bands and other junk that has somehow appeared in front of every… whatever. I give up.

StueyDuck

gotta do something when you are a f-tier cam girl and onlyfans model after quitting your secretary job for greener pastures

yurinka

Seems similar to other surveys I saw before. In this case, the survey was made with 'Over 800 US and UK consumers aged 18 yrs+ were surveyed about their interests, 57.3% of them female, and 42.7% of them female'.

6ZxtoiY.png
Imagine if they would have merged iPhone, iPad, Android Phone, Android tablet and Kindle in a single 'mobile' category as usual. Feels weird to me to see that they didn't merge them but merged instead PS and Xbox.

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
My mother is addicted to Fishdom. I don't think my female friends play anything regularly.

FBeeEye

Banned
More proof that the Activision deal wasn't about more sad dad games. It's about the billions of women like my wife playing these mindless mobile puzzle games. We hate it but it's still games and billions of dollars on the table.

TonyK

I know all are games but Wordle and Bloodborne seem more different between them than Ant Man and Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, for example. Maybe the "videogame" concept is too wide?

EruditeHobo

Phone games aren't video games. Change my mind.

Think this kind of assertion is nonsense, unless you're begging the question... which would then graduate the statement from nonsense to logically unsound.

But I'll bite -- please define "video game".

Last edited:
Top Bottom